The Leader, Hector Hammond and Modok have really big heads, but how smart are they?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
When we think about smart Marvel villains, certain names spring to mind immediately Doom, the Maker to name but two. I just don't think of the leader or MODOK. Same in DC when you think smart Luthor or Ras, Hector Hammond isn't a quick choice. But these guys give you massive Head to work with. Surely as a team, they could get the job done or is it a case of too much head is confusing.

2 Questions

How smart are they compared to Reed?

If they were a team who has a smaller head and thinks with their little brain enough to have better head and achieve victory over them?

VanMae
I suspect it has to do with comics favoritism towards badass over nerdy. Batman doesn't look like he "should" be the smartest, but he does look badass, so he gets to outsmart everyone. Doctor Doom doesn't look like he "should' be the smartest, but he does look badass, so he gets to outsmart everyone. Hell, even Punisher gets to outsmart people who should theoretically be much smarter than he is.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by VanMae
I suspect it has to do with comics favoritism towards badass over nerdy. Batman doesn't look like he "should" be the smartest, but he does look badass, so he gets to outsmart everyone. Doctor Doom doesn't look like he "should' be the smartest, but he does look badass, so he gets to outsmart everyone. Hell, even Punisher gets to outsmart people who should theoretically be much smarter than he is. Reed looks like a school Principal, is that Badass?

VanMae
He actually was drawn rather rugged back in the day. That said, he's less popular than his enemy despite beating him again and again. I've even seen a fair number of people arguing that Doom is smarter than he is, despite the book ramming it into us that Reed is smarter. People seem to want Doom to be smarter, and if it wasn't so vital to the functioning of the Fantastic Four comic that he not be, they would have certainly gotten their desire via simple fan-letter-pressure by now.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by VanMae
He actually was drawn rather rugged back in the day. That said, he's less popular than his enemy despite beating him again and again. I've even seen a fair number of people arguing that Doom is smarter than he is, despite the book ramming it into us that Reed is smarter. People seem to want Doom to be smarter, and if it wasn't so vital to the functioning of the Fantastic Four comic that he not be, they would have certainly gotten their desire via simple fan-letter-pressure by now. I disagree with 1950's lost in Space style Reed being rugged, he was modelled after the sort of heroes in Forbidden Planet etc... Not really rugged, or do you mean 70's stubble-faced Reed? Certainly not pipe smoking Rex Harrison my fair lady Reed surely!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.