Who has the greatest strength "feat". Hulk vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus
Hulk vs Thor

Who among the two has the best "feat" of strength?

From what has been shown so far, would these be their greatest feats of strength?

-Thor bracing himself against the ship which had enough propulsion strength to move the huge rings and break the gigantic iced up portion of the Nidavellir forge (grip/leg/bracing strength "feat"wink.
-Hulk one-punching the Leviathan to a TKO.

Does either have anything better than the above posted?

Note. Yes, I know Hulk is stronger than Thor. We're talking "feats" here.

Nibedicus
Just to start the quantification of Thor's "feat", I measured one of those rings using a ruler and using Thor's height for reference. It is about/over a hundred Thors thick. so 600+ feet thickness per ring?

I could be wrong. Thor looked really really tiny compared so it was hard to get a correct measurement.

h1a8

Nibedicus
The only available footage in youtube is pretty crappy. Harder to even tell there. Starts at 3:15.

https://youtu.be/wKVHB2h1C7c

In 4k, the "feat" is very clear. I suggest buying the Infinity War movie, it is out on blu ray and dvd or itunes.

John Murdoch
Thor's feat is leagues (or whatever the appropriate unit of measurement would be. I defer to you, Nib) beyond Hulk's. The only way this discussion should go is to say that while Hulk is strong, Thor's feats from IW are comic book levels of insanity strong and put him at the top of the MCU power totem pole.

Nibedicus
Been watching the 4k, the distances/sizes seem to fluctuate. There's a shot where it does look like it is around 100+ Thors, another shot looks like it is much much larger than that. So, it's hard to quantify. And the youtube video I found had several scenes cut out so it's hard to post it here.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thor, no contest. Moving those rings by itself shits on anything Hulk did.

Hell, the fact that he could even maintain his footing and hold the Iris open, without being blown away like when he passed out, is a greater strength feat than anything seen in MCU or DCeU.

Josh_Alexander
The leviathan feat is still the greatest show of strength up to date. Hulk.

h1a8
Originally posted by Nibedicus
The only available footage in youtube is pretty crappy. Harder to even tell there. Starts at 3:15.

https://youtu.be/wKVHB2h1C7c

In 4k, the "feat" is very clear. I suggest buying the Infinity War movie, it is out on blu ray and dvd or itunes.

Ok Thanks. I didn't understand your initial post.
Thor's feat is most likely greater. Both feats are mostly bracing type of feats. Thor's harder to quantify though.
Need to determine how much force to break the ice (what kind of ice and how cold and how much, etc) and how much force to move the rings at that speed.

Silent Master
IMO as of IW Thor has the better pure strength feat.

TheLordofMurder
Thor's Infinity War feats place him above Hulk and almost anyone and anything in the MCU...

The Iris feat and the Ring feat are beyond anything seen from Hulk...

Hulk had better go World Breaker (Sentry) or Mindless (Onslaught) in the next movie if he hopes to be able to compete with Thor feat wise...

As it currently stands, Thor is superior to Hulk in strength based purely on feats...

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Thor's Infinity War feats place him above Hulk and almost anyone and anything in the MCU...

The Iris feat and the Ring feat are beyond anything seen from Hulk...

Hulk had better go World Breaker (Sentry) or Mindless (Onslaught) in the next movie if he hopes to be able to compete with Thor feat wise...

As it currently stands, Thor is superior to Hulk in strength based purely on feats...

Except Thor didn't move the rings. It was Rocket's spaceship the one who did.

In any case, the feat is one of durability since Thor didn't rip in half.

Hulk wins.

HulkIsHulk
Yeah as of now Thor's forge feat tops pretty much anything in recent cbms. Hulk's best are the Leviathan punch, Surtur punch, pulling that Leviathan away from the building while latching onto that thing and knocking and throwing around Fenris, especially the last one which made her lose her grip and fly off the waterfall. - and they just don't compare

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander

Hulk wins.

He still braced against it. That is still leg, grip, arm strength.

Josh_Alexander
He still braced against it. That is still leg, grip, arm strength.

Again a feat of durability. His muscle tissues aren't ripping appart, nor are his bones breaking.

Hulk could very well replicate the feat.

Nibedicus
Again a feat of durability. His muscle tissues aren't ripping appart, nor are his bones breaking.

Hulk could very well replicate the feat.

Nah dude, you need strength in your legs for it not to buckle when bracing against something, you need to strain your hands to grip onto something.

By powerscaling Hulk SHOULD be able to do this (already stated that he is the stronger of the two as established by writers through several movies) but we are looking at who has the best direct "feats" only not if one character is stronger than the other.

Silent Master
@Josh

So we can add strength to the list of things you don't understand.

Josh_Alexander
Nah dude, you need strength in your legs for it not to buckle when bracing against something, you need to strain your hands to grip onto something.

By powerscaling Hulk SHOULD be able to do this (already stated that he is the stronger of the two as established by writers through several movies) but we are looking at who has the best direct "feats" only not if one character is stronger than the other.

It's called resistance to tension Nibedicus. Thor isn't moving the rings, his body is resisting the tension caused by the ship pulling the rings.

The energy is being provided by the spaceship. Thor is just resisting the tensions.

Nibedicus
It's called resistance to tension Nibedicus. Thor isn't moving the rings, his body is resisting the tension caused by the ship pulling the rings.

The energy is being provided by the spaceship. Thor is just resisting the tensions.

Dude....

Nah, man. He's holding onto the cable and his legs are braced. Those need strength.

Tug of War is not a durability contest....

Josh_Alexander

Dude....

Nah, man. He's holding onto the cable and his legs are braced. Those need strength.

Tug of War is not a durability contest....

Oh yes you are right. The legs would be applying strength. The arms are the ones being streched.

thumb up

I thought Thor was being streched. I just rewatched the scene.

FrothByte
There's also grip strength to consider. Thor gripping onto the cable and not allowing it to slip in his hands required a great amount of strength.

Nibedicus
Oh yes you are right. The legs would be applying strength. The arms are the ones being streched.

thumb up

I thought Thor was being streched. I just rewatched the scene.

Yeah, Thor wasn't stretched at all, he was braced pretty securely and his arms/shoulders were tucked back. This would mean core/shoulder/lats/grip/leg/arm strength at least.

Rage.Of.Olympus

The energy is being provided by the spaceship. Thor is just resisting the tensions. Originally posted by Josh_Alexander

Hulk wins.

My man, Thor would not only have to be durable, but exerting an equal amount of force needed to move the rings, when acting as the makeshift pulley.

HulkIsHulk
Umm Rage he already admitted to have made a mistake..

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
My man, Thor would not only have to be durable, but exerting an equal amount of force needed to move the rings, when acting as the makeshift pulley.

thumb up I didn't remembered the feat correctly.

Josh_Alexander
Yeah, Thor wasn't stretched at all, he was braced pretty securely and his arms/shoulders were tucked back. This would mean core/shoulder/lats/grip/leg/arm strength at least.

Aye. The strength would be dispersed throughout his body.

Robtard
Yeah, Thor wasn't stretched at all, he was braced pretty securely and his arms/shoulders were tucked back. This would mean core/shoulder/lats/grip/leg/arm strength at least. Josh clearly does not understand how strength works. Jeez. Anyhow.

Mixed feelings on the Forge scene, it was in space, so moving those rings while under zero gravity would be a lot easier. But the Forge seemed to have gravity, as Thor didn't just float away, he crashed/landed on the ring. So the strength required to brace and hold the rope and himself while the ship's thrusters did the work would shit all over Hulk's leviathan punch, imo.

Josh_Alexander
Well based on numbers then yes, Thor has the greatest feat up to date.

But there is also considering the fact that Thor used his legs, arms, chest, back, and the rest of his body to disperse the weight.

Hulk stopped a Leviathan with a single punch.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Robtard
Josh clearly does not understand how strength works. Jeez. Anyhow.

Mixed feelings on the Forge scene, it was in space, so moving those rings while under zero gravity would be a lot easier. But the Forge seemed to have gravity, as Thor didn't just float away, he crashed/landed on the ring. So the strength required to brace and hold the rope and himself while the ship's thrusters did the work would shit all over Hulk's leviathan punch, imo.

laughing out loud Seems someone is butthurt for losing the T7 vs Thor thread.

Take it easy fellow.

Nibedicus

An object that size would naturally have gravity. Plus Eitri/Thor/Rocket weren't floating, they were walking around in it. Plus when Eitri kicked/tossed Thor and Rocket aside, they didn't float away but fell straight to the ground. Plus there was that huge block of ice that froze the mechanism that they needed to overcome, etc.

FrothByte
Well based on numbers then yes, Thor has the greatest feat up to date.

But there is also considering the fact that Thor used his legs, arms, chest, back, and the rest of his body to disperse the weight.

So are you saying that Hulk didn't need to use his legs, arms, chest and back when he punched the Leviathan?

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by FrothByte
So are you saying that Hulk didn't need to use his legs, arms, chest and back when he punched the Leviathan?

Please quote where I said Hulk didn't use his legs etc.

FrothByte
Please quote where I said Hulk didn't use his legs etc.

This is what you said:

Which seemed to imply that you didn't think Hulk used the same muscle groups as Thor did to perform his punch (otherwise why even mention them at all?). Now if I'm mistaken then please clarify, thus why I was asking if you meant that Hulk did not use his legs, arms, chest, back and the rest of his body during his punch.

Josh_Alexander
This is what you said:

Which seemed to imply that you didn't think Hulk used the same muscle groups as Thor did to perform his punch (otherwise why even mention them at all?). Now if I'm mistaken then please clarify, thus why I was asking if you meant that Hulk did not use his legs, arms, chest, back and the rest of his body during his punch.

Okay, thanks for proving i didn't say that.

What am saying is that whereas Thor dispersed the weight throughout all his body, Hulk mainly used his arm.

Ofcourse he had to use his legs (that's common sense), chest and others, but most of the force would be focus on his arm (He had to make sure his arm didn't bend).

Silent Master

What am saying is that whereas Thor dispersed the weight throughout all his body, Hulk mainly used his arm.

Ofcourse he had to use his legs (that's common sense), chest and others, but most of the force would be focus on his arm (He had to make sure his arm didn't bend).

LOL!!!!!!

h1a8
Mass of Leviathan = 300-500tons
Speed of Leviathan =15-30m/s
Stopping time= Time to reach speed from 0 = 4 seconds

Average Force needed to stop
= 2 x mass x average acceleration
= 2 x mass x change in velocity /time
= 2 x 500tons x (30m/s) /4s
= 764 tons of force.

Since Hulk didn't completely stop the Leviathan in 4 seconds (would have taken longer if it didn't rotate) then he supplied less than 764 tons of force.

With Thor's feat we have a lot of unknowns. We don't what composition the ice is made of to determine hardness. We don't Know if Thor and Rocket even moved the rings or just yanked them loose from the ice (as Rocket stated).
The part that was covered with ice was a lot smaller than the rings. Once the ice broke, the rings were free to move on their own. Did they? We are not sure.

Robtard

Silent Master
Watch the movie.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by h1a8

The part that was covered with ice was a lot smaller than the rings. Once the ice broke, the rings were free to move on their own. Did they? We are not sure.

This is very interesting. I agree, it could be possible that the what they all did was freeing the rings from the ice.

Josh_Alexander

Concession accepted. You are butthurt.

h1a8

Ofcourse he had to use his legs (that's common sense), chest and others, but most of the force would be focus on his arm (He had to make sure his arm didn't bend). you can be pushed with a 100 ton force while keeping your arms straight. You would just keep sliding back though.

If you were locked with the ground and couldn't move backwards then keeping your arm traight becomes more difficult. This is because your legs are stronger and would buckle after the arm buckles (not before).

Robtard
Fact: Hulk used the vast majority of his muscles when punching the Leviathan as Thor used in the Forge/ring feat

Fact: Hulk didn't just punch it, he then braced his entire body against it's weight and momentum for a good 4-5 seconds before he stopped it to caused it to flip'

Fact: Josh does not understand how muscles and the body work

Fact: Josh will be mad now

Josh_Alexander
you can be pushed with a 100 ton force while keeping your arms straight. You would just keep sliding back though.

If you were locked with the ground and couldn't move backwards then keeping your arm traight becomes more difficult. This is because your legs are stronger and would buckle after the arm buckles (not before).

Push and hitting are different things. Hulk punched the Leviathan.

On one end you have the Leviathan's inertia and on the other you have the arm's inertial. Both opposing each other.

If Hulk's arm wasn't strong enough, then the arm would have bent or broken.

FrothByte

lol. I don't think you understand the mechanics behind a punch. Arm muscle-strength doesn't actually contribute much to the strength behind a punch. That's not even considering the fact that Hulk had to brace himself against the Leviathan after the punch.

Josh_Alexander
Fact: Hulk used the vast majority of his muscles when punching the Leviathan as Thor used in the Forge/ring feat

Fact: Hulk didn't just punch it, he then braced his entire body against it's weight and momentum for a good 4-5 seconds before he stopped it to caused it to flip'

Fact: Josh does not understand how muscles and the body work

Fact: Josh will be mad now

So Thor grabbing the rope with both arms and Hulk using one arm while his other arm was mid air means that Hulk used the same muscles as Thor!?

Fact: you don't know what you are talking about.

Josh_Alexander
Arm muscle-strength doesn't actually contribute much to the strength behind a punch.

So you are saying that a guy with weaker muscles can hit stronger than a man with stronger muscles? laughing out loud

FrothByte
So you are saying that a guy with weaker muscles can hit stronger than a man with stronger muscles? laughing out loud

Yes, provided said weaker guy has better technique. Why, do you think stronman champions can punch harder than a heavyweight boxer?

Also, I thought you were talking about arm muscles. Why are you now seemingly including "muscles" in a general sense?

NemeBro
So you are saying that a guy with weaker muscles can hit stronger than a man with stronger muscles? laughing out loud Well, yes. George Foreman was a big strong guy in his prime, but not even half as strong as someone like Mark Henry. Who do you imagine punches harder?

Silent Master
Yes, provided said weaker guy has better technique. Why, do you think stronman champions can punch harder than a heavyweight boxer?

Also, I thought you were talking about arm muscles. Why are you now seemingly including "muscles" in a general sense?

Because he doesn't have a real argument, he is just throwing things against a wall and seeing what sticks. he is hoping that if he keeps doing it long enough that enough things will stick that he can then put them together in a "in summary" post that he can claim was his argument all along.

Josh_Alexander

Because I never said a punch is determined by the strength of the arm.

I said that the Leviathan countering the Arm's inertia would result in the Arm having to counter the strength of the Leviathan in order to remain straight. And that would require muscle strength. We aren't even talking about the punch's force, we are talking about Hulk withstanding the Leviathan's force.

In fact, the one who brought arm muscle into the conversation was you.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by NemeBro
Well, yes. George Foreman was a big strong guy in his prime, but not even half as strong as someone like Mark Henry. Who do you imagine punches harder?

I agree technique is part of a hard punch. Make both guys having the same tecnique except one has stronger muscles (legs, back, arms, etc) and you will realize muscles do play a part into the equation.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Silent Master
Because he doesn't have a real argument, he is just throwing things against a wall and seeing what sticks. he is hoping that if he keeps doing it long enough that enough things will stick that he can then put them together in a "in summary" post that he can claim was his argument all along.

My argument is simple and real. Thor used both arms, while Hulk used one. Perhaps if you were to pay a bit of attention you would avoid making a fool of yourself.

Silent Master
My argument is simple and real. Thor used both arms, while Hulk used one. Perhaps if you were to pay a bit of attention you would avoid making a fool of yourself.

If that is your argument, expplain these quotoes.

So you are saying that a guy with weaker muscles can hit stronger than a man with stronger muscles?

Josh_Alexander
If that is your argument, expplain these quotoes.

So you are saying that a guy with weaker muscles can hit stronger than a man with stronger muscles?

By me saying that Thor used both hands while Hulk used one I mean to say that the feats are different in nature.

Those quotes are other arguments that arose from debates with other members participating in this thread. Part of the same premise that Thor's feat is different from Hulk's.

Silent Master
"other arguments"

LOL!!!!!1

Josh_Alexander
"other arguments"

LOL!!!!!1

????....

A debate can contain multiple arguments. But it's okay for someone who doesnt know what debating is.

Josh_Alexander
Either way, not much debate to be had, the ring feat is top. Thread addressed.

h1a8

= 764 tons of force.

Since Hulk didn't completely stop the Leviathan in 4 seconds (would have taken longer if it didn't rotate) then he supplied less than 764 tons of force.

With Thor's feat we have a lot of unknowns. We don't what composition the ice is made of to determine hardness. We don't Know if Thor and Rocket even moved the rings or just yanked them loose from the ice (as Rocket stated).

Silent Master
Watch the movie.

FrothByte
Because I never said a punch is determined by the strength of the arm.

I said that the Leviathan countering the Arm's inertia would result in the Arm having to counter the strength of the Leviathan in order to remain straight. And that would require muscle strength. We aren't even talking about the punch's force, we are talking about Hulk withstanding the Leviathan's force.

In fact, the one who brought arm muscle into the conversation was you.

This is what you said:

It proves you don't know how punches work.

Josh_Alexander

On one end you have the Leviathan's inertia and on the other you have the arm's inertial. Both opposing each other.

If Hulk's arm wasn't strong enough, then the arm would have bent or broken.

Robtard
So Thor grabbing the rope with both arms and Hulk using one arm while his other arm was mid air means that Hulk used the same muscles as Thor!?

Fact: you don't know what you are talking about.

What I actually said: "Fact: Hulk used the vast majority of his muscles when punching the Leviathan as Thor used in the Forge/ring feat"

Fact: Your silly strawman has been countered

Fact:Originally posted by Robtard

Josh_Alexander
This is what you said:

It proves you don't know how punches work.

Nowhere in those quotes am I arguing Hulk's punching strength. And I further explained myself to H1 which quoted the same thing you did.

Josh_Alexander
What I actually said: "Fact: Hulk used the vast majority of his muscles when punching the Leviathan as Thor used in the Forge/ring feat"

definition of 'as':

Basically you are saying that Hulk stopping the Leviathan with one hand is comparable to Thor grabbing the rope with both hands. In order for such a comparison to be made, you would be implying that the same amount of muscles were involved.

Oh and I never said that you stated that Thor and Hulk were using the same muscles.

Fact: You don't know what you are talking about again

FrothByte
Nowhere in those quotes am I arguing Hulk's punching strength. And I further explained myself to H1 which quoted the same thing you did.

Then why even bother mentioning Thor using his leg, back and chest muscles for his feat if it's clear that Hulk used the same muscles for his?

Silent Master
Then why even bother mentioning Thor using his leg, back and chest muscles for his feat if it's clear that Hulk used the same muscles for his?

He can't keep track of his own argument.

Josh_Alexander

Perhaps I used the wrong term. What I meant to say is that Hulk stopped the Leviathan with one arm not one punch.

FrothByte
Perhaps I used the wrong term. What I meant to say is that Hulk stopped the Leviathan with one arm not one punch.

Still not quite correct, as his whole body was straining in that stiff-arm. If you mean however that he didn't use both arms then yeah, that one's at least true.

Josh_Alexander
Still not quite correct, as his whole body was straining in that stiff-arm. If you mean however that he didn't use both arms then yeah, that one's at least true.

Should that arm not be strong enough to counter the Leviathan's inertia it would have bent and wouldn't have been able to stop the Leviathan. And for the record, am not saying his legs, back, chest etc. don't play a part.

And yes, that's what i meant.

FrothByte
Should that arm not be strong enough to counter the Leviathan's inertia it would have bent and wouldn't have been able to stop the Leviathan. And for the record, am not saying his legs, back, chest etc. don't play a part.

And yes, that's what i meant.

Yes, that's true. That arm would need to be strong enough to withstand the force being applied to it. But then that would also be the case for Thor.

Now Thor would have the advantage of 2 arms but then he's pulling instead of pushing which means he doesn't have the option of simply locking his arms in place and allowing his skeletal structure to take most of the weight, unlike Hulk.

In any case, they still use pretty much the same muscle groups for the most part, just use them in different ways.

Josh_Alexander
Yes, that's true. That arm would need to be strong enough to withstand the force being applied to it. But then that would also be the case for Thor.

Now Thor would have the advantage of 2 arms but then he's pulling instead of pushing which means he doesn't have the option of simply locking his arms in place and allowing his skeletal structure to take most of the weight, unlike Hulk.

In any case, they still use pretty much the same muscle groups for the most part, just use them in different ways.

Agree!

Well I agree on Thor's feat being the top one here ATM.

But we haven't seen Hulk's limit yet, so I have hopes for Av.4.

h1a8

= 764 tons of force.

Silent Master
Other than proving how biased you are, what was the point in reposting that?

h1a8
Other than proving how biased you are, what was the point in reposting that?

To show that the Thor feat might be under 400 tons based off what actually happened.

And to give an upper bound for Hulk's feat.

Nibedicus

quanchi112

Silent Master
To show that the Thor feat might be under 400 tons based off what actually happened.

And to give an upper bound for Hulk's feat.

Well, you failed. As nobody believes your made up numbers.

Nevan

Josh_Alexander

h1a8

h1a8

Silent Master
It's clear, h1 sucks at science/physics.

h1a8
It's clear, h1 sucks at science/physics.

That would contradict all my straight As in all my science classes as well as all the students I caused to pass the AP physics exams.

Silent Master
As the saying goes. Those who can't, teach.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Silent Master
Proof that h1 is a liar.

Surtur was closer to 100m when Hulk punched him.

The people responsible for creating Surtur stated he was 800m when he first appeared and grew to 4,000m by the time Asgard was destroyed.

h1a8

Silent Master
Movie >>>>>>>>>>>>>> h1. guys that created Surtur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> biased fan calculations.

Rage.Of.Olympus

HulkIsHulk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.