Superman w/ Mother Box vs. Silver Surfer w/ Mjoinir

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
Who wins?

Pillow Biter
Hmm...

Superman is typically advantaged over Surfer to varying degrees.

However, in combat terms, Mjolnir is a much bigger upgrade than a Mother Box.

riv6672
Surfer over Supes on average, and, i dont believe the MB will change that.
Add in Mjolnir, which Surfer would use less for pounding, imo, and more for its hundreds of energy manipulation abilities (that just fits his fighting style better), and the gap widens.

Surfer FTW.

Pillow Biter
How do you feel about Superman vs Surfer, straight-up and with no weakness exploitation?

spetznaz

Sin I AM
When they started treating the motherbox a smart phone for gods it lost it's luster

Pillow Biter
I never subscribe to any kind of 'as properly written' interpretations of comics. I just go by what I see in the books.

Mother Boxes have rarely seemed to be huge assets in combat, regardless of their power source or how they sometimes get talked up.

I think Superman would have done better vs HP Doomsday with either GL ring or Mjolnir than he did with a Mother Box.

riv6672
On that we agree. I just posted a few minutes ago about not thinking much of MBs. Some folks swear they are the living end, though.

Faceless808
Then I would recommend reading the series that mother boxes were originally written for. Namely, the New Gods, Mister Miracle and the Forever People. Not just Kirby's original versions but also the later volumes. The MB was diluted when DC began using it outside the Fourth World story line, pretty much like Sin said.

riv6672
Thats all well and good, but the point is, they -are- diluted.

Pillow Biter
Yeah. But they remain confusing. New Gods tech is still given a lot of lip service by reliable sources; they just rarely seem to perform that well in actual combat. In DC 1 Million, New Gods tech was basically unchanged still 'said' to be ahead of Galactic and Earth tech 80,000+ in the future.

I take reliable comments seriously, but when a pattern emerges that strongly I'm forced to choose the results over the talk.

riv6672
^^^seems cut and dried, the way you just phrased it. Nice.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The MB is connected to the Source, and if a writer remembers that, treats it as the representation of the ultimate computer of creation, it has great potential as seen with Cyborg as it gives him access to the Multiverse.

However, even then, Mother Boxes can be powerful tools but they are often used indirectly to combat a threat by supplementing an action or plan.

When someone like Superman or Surfer gain Mjolnir momentarily, it is a HUGE combat upgrade, to a degree that it completely changes the field of power they are operating in and changes the tide that I do not see a MB doing.

That's my two cents. That Orion/Thor crossover is the perfect example imo.

Pillow Biter
Though to be fair, sometimes the hammer is just a ...hammer.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
Though to be fair, sometimes the hammer is just a ...hammer.

Well, ya, obviously. Even when Surfer had it, all he used it for was smashing and lightning. I meant when the hammer is just a hammer, and the MB is just a fancy computer, I'd prefer the hammer in combat, because it's still a big f*cking hammer.

I think you and I agree on the fact that in comics, might makes right the majority of the time, and symbolism has a huge part to play in that.

Faceless808
Originally posted by riv6672
Thats all well and good, but the point is, they -are- diluted.

My comment was toward you not thinking much about MB, not this battle. That's why I didn't give an opinion on the outcome.

riv6672
Thats how i took the comment. thumb up

Faceless808
thumb up thumb up

Galan007
As seen when Hal Jordan was transformed into the God of Light, a current MotherBox can *poof* you into a full-fledged universal force. Even a 'classic' MB brought Superman's stats up to a level where he could actually do *something* against H/P Doomsday(who fodderized Darkseid shortly beforehand.) So yeah...

Putinbot1
I'm with Spetznaz and Galan, a mother box is a small scale reality manipulator, not even sure it's small-scale tbh, it is a direct link to the source and therefore almost limitless in scope, bandwidth being perhaps it's only issue. If you want a mother box ensure you don't go through AT&T or you may find you keep having to switch it off and on again.

StiltmanFTW
Weakened Surfer still wins.

Faceless808
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Weakened Surfer still wins.

Hey, I'm a weekend surfer! smile

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Faceless808
Hey, I'm a weekend surfer! smile thumb up did snigger!

Faceless808
big grin

riv6672
Originally posted by Faceless808
Hey, I'm a weekend surfer! smile
PUN!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.