Pre-52 Martian Manhunter vs Superman in strength

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XLR87T3
I know J'onn has that one feat of getting wrecked by Supergirl, but other than that he is equal to Superman physically (not counting Post Flashpoint)

In this thread, it's time to prove it once and for all, because writers can't seem to make up their minds

All MM has to do is match Superman in strength, whether it's arm wrestling, weight lifting, punching asteroids, etc

-Pr-
Not really a VS thread, and I believe J'onn isn't on that level, but if anyone has a nice J'onn scan or two that I haven't seen before, let's see 'em.

XLR87T3
Thank you for your mercy,

Pillow Biter
You can't prove anything once and for all. Comics rarely work that way.

MM does have some portrayals where he is Superman's physical equal, but they are outnumbered by ones where he is not. And he has no portrayals where he is actually stronger.

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/yc4flfx8

shifty

Pillow Biter
More powerful. He has a number of portrayals where he is said to be more powerful than Superman. But not STRONGER.

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, technically you're right.

And even that didn't last, as seen in Blackest Night, when he says he's only "as powerful":

https://i.imgur.com/W4ZmfTp.jpg

Pillow Biter
We can find the opposite, too--where MM is powerful, but no Superman.

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, against that sentient Doomsday clone or whatever it was...

XLR87T3
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Yeah, against that sentient Doomsday clone or whatever it was... https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8fbd7046970d8884778675df4d99f187

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5e7f6ddde919edfeb717e93929b96202

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-862649f1d73ca48ff0b0ae06fc24c006

He does poorly against Doomsday, despite being more powerful than the Man of Steel, Superman

XLR87T3
But on the other hand, it can be argued that Supergirl had Loeb force when she wrecked him, but it doesn't make her any stronger than J'onn as he was able to draw blood from her. The funny thing is that weaker white martians have been able to completely stomp Superman and J'onn on the other hand been has shown to speed blitz them.

And considering MMH easily overpowered Ultraman who by the way has the exact same power set and feats as superman doesn't make him not consistently more physically powerful?

krisblaze
He can talk a big game but Superman would break both his arms before he broke a sweat.

carver9
Superman is stronger

riv6672
Originally posted by carver9
Superman is stronger
Definitely.

MM has the better overall powerset.

MaZeRaIII
Martian Manhunter is obviously more powerful given his vast variety of powers and their utilities.

But is he stronger though? Personally, i don't think so, we already have another Superman's equal and that's Captain Marvel/Black Adam, and every time MMH fights Cap or Adam in pure physical battle, he gets whooped hard. In Underworld Unleashed Cap (at 50% of his power, since Mary was also powered up) nearly killed MMH, in WW3 Adam (less at 50% of his power, since he gave much of his power to Isis which was contained in amulet, and he didn't return that portion of his power back during WW3, as the amulet was shattered and those parts were hidden) pretty much 2-3 shotted MMH.

In short MMH, while can claim to be strong as Superman, when actually facing Superman-level strength, he doesn't perform so well.

Pillow Biter
Versatility is overrated. Comics aren't realistic. I think Superman is both decisively stronger, and at the least significantly more powerful on the whole, in the comics world.

-Pr-
Having more powers and being more powerful are often not the same thing. There is the Fernus aspect to consider, but I don't think you can really call that J'onn.

Superman has more power, imo. It's just spread across fewer outlets than J'onn's power is.

Pillow Biter
Versatility realistically adds more power: if you give Superman another power, while granting him only the same amount of total power, he is in one sense more powerful, and yet not in another. Sometimes writers value versatility, but on the whole, they do not value it nearly as much as it realistically should be.

shadowknight
SM is stronger period it's not even close.

playa1258
Superman has the better feats. MMH is massively overrated on many forums.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by playa1258
MMH is massively overrated on many forums.

And massively jobs in comics. And all mediums for that matter.

playa1258
Don't get me wrong MMH is very powerful but the dick bouncing he gets its flat out ridiculous.

Supes and Thor don't have a chance apparently.

Back on topic Superman consistently has better strength feats.

leonidas
if it takes a thread to convince anyone that superman is stronger than jonn, that person clearly knows nothing about either character. this should probably be closed. /shrug

XLR87T3
Originally posted by leonidas
if it takes a thread to convince anyone that superman is stronger than jonn, that person clearly knows nothing about either character. this should probably be closed. /shrug Talk about generalizations, LMAO

Putinbot1
if it takes a thread to convince anyone that superman is stronger than jonn, that person clearly knows nothing about either character. this should probably be closed. /shrug /this

-Pr-
if it takes a thread to convince anyone that superman is stronger than jonn, that person clearly knows nothing about either character. this should probably be closed. /shrug

Originally posted by Putinbot1
/this

I'm giving it a little while, as I wanted to see if anyone had anything that I hadn't seen before. Hence this:

Originally posted by -Pr-
Not really a VS thread, and I believe J'onn isn't on that level, but if anyone has a nice J'onn scan or two that I haven't seen before, let's see 'em.

XLR87T3
When Superman pushed Brainiac's mothership, which has an average estimated weight of over 80,000 times the mass of earth, Martian Manhunter was the first to stop this giant object, holding it off until Superman got to the scene. Then it took both Martian Manhunter and Superman to push this mothership, which was moving at 36000 miles per hour, away from Earth.

Clearly, Martian Manhunter has evidence for many to believe that he's nearly as strong as Superman, and people who says otherwise clearly knows nothing about either character

-Pr-
I'd honestly put him closer to the likes of Aquaman and Wonder Woman than I would Superman, but like I said, I'm open to having my mind changed.

One Big Mob
MM could be the strongest hero in history, but no one would ever know it with his glass jaw. It could be confirmed he was 10 times stronger than Superman and you'd never know it when every fight is a struggle to stay awake.

XLR87T3
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'd honestly put him closer to the likes of Aquaman and Wonder Woman than I would Superman, but like I said, I'm open to having my mind changed. The feat I mentioned above proved that opinion wrong. And he already defeated Mon El physically, a Draxamite (aka Kryptonian from another planet)

riv6672

-Pr-

riv6672
That doesnt translate to being overrated, at all, imo, but, thats all it is, mo.

-bows to the mod, leaves thread-

-Pr-
...What?

Philosophía
Superman is much stronger, and this isn't even debatable.

Although...I'd have fun with somebody arguing otherwise.

if it takes a thread to convince anyone that superman is stronger than jonn, that person clearly knows nothing about either character. this should probably be closed. /shrug thumb up

People have a tendency to go by what Superman says, not what actually happens on the page. Superman gives more lip-service than probably anybody in comics, until he start pushing the villain's shit in.

Originally posted by XLR87T3
When Superman pushed Brainiac's mothership, which has an average estimated weight of over 80,000 times the mass of earth, Martian Manhunter was the first to stop this giant object, holding it off until Superman got to the scene. This is not true. They both stopped the ship moving at 36,000 mph:
https://imgur.com/a/Hv3yS

You can see both of them flying toward the ship, simultaneously.

https://i.imgur.com/n30yMiE.jpg

Unless you're blind.

carver9
Just to clear things up a bit, Superman and Martian manhunter didnt STOP the ship, they pushed it clear from Earth. Martian manhunter even tells us this...

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111142337/4117949-oygvjhe%5B1%5D.jpg

Continue please. smile

ghostman
Originally posted by carver9
Just to clear things up a bit, Superman and Martian manhunter didnt STOP the ship, they pushed it clear from Earth. Martian manhunter even tells us this...

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111142337/4117949-oygvjhe%5B1%5D.jpg

Continue please. smile

ughh. now i see why people have their foot on your neck.

One Big Mob
That changes everything

carver9
Originally posted by ghostman
ughh. now i see why people have their foot on your neck.

Why? Why didnt you come into the thread below this involving Hulk vs the Sun ft saying this when someone disputed the Proxima ft. Its crazy. When I, Carversexy9 mentions something, KMC explodes but when 9 people come into a Hulk thread disputing the obvious, it gets praised. Hypocritical people. Full of it.

leonidas
#carved

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.