SoR Revan vs TPM Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
Who wins?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

The Ellimist
Depends on starting distance

Jaggarath
How does that make sense when Revan can teleport?

Magister
Revan due to Force advantage.

Azronger
Originally posted by Jaggarath
How does that make sense when Revan can teleport?

Maul can too.

Jaggarath
Just because the adepts can teleport doesn't mean Maul can, lmao.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Magister
Revan due to MASSIVE Force advantage. fixed it.

The Ellimist

Jaggarath
Given the circumstances Revan teleported on the Foundry, it's clear he can do it quickly and casually at peak condition.

And as shown in SOR, Revan can do it frequently (and so can even the adepts), and I'm not sure why a nexus would change that.

The Ellimist

Magister
Was that actual teleportation or just force speed?

The Ellimist
lmao missed the ninja edit

Jaggarath
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. That Revan has to concentrate his energies before he can do it, like Zannah and her telepathy? Even if so, then I don't see why Revan can't do that, then teleport away at moments of vulnerability.

And if he can teleport at the brink of death, it's clear it doesn't require a significant amount of his power to do it.

The Ellimist

The Ellimist

Jaggarath
What does that even mean? Revan can teleport to the other side of the planet. How is Maul's Force speed beating that?

Or are you suggesting Maul would one-shot Revan in direct combat (lol) or that Revan can't simultaneously fight and teleport (false)?

Azronger
Just because the adepts can teleport doesn't mean Maul can, lmao.

And why would Sidious invest more resources into his relatively worthless adepts than someone whom he had poured decades of time into in hopes of grooming a genuine partner? Why would Sidious not teach teleporting to "his myrmidon" who also happened to be "one of the most highly trained Sith Lords in history" (no reason to think that's limited to lightsaber combat, for the record) who was "trained mercilessly in all forms of Sith arts" and "Sith lore", but share the secret with some dark side moron who was taught to "develop his Force talents to wield power the way the Emperor himself did" yet ultimately only "a moderate Force sensitive" and "hardly the stuff of a Sith apprentice"?

Jaggarath
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that notes Sidious knew how to teleport around TPM, and I vaguely recall Plagueis musing about lost secrets of bending time and space (meaning Plagueis can't even teleport).

Further, there's no indication Sidious ever told the adepts how to teleport anyway, lmao.

Jaggarath
I looked into it.

"Still in safekeeping on Aborah were texts and holocrons that recounted the deeds and abilities of Sith Masters who, so it was said and written, had been able to summon wind or rain or fracture the skies with conjured lightning. In their own words or those of their disciples, a few Dark Lords claimed to have had the ability to fly, become invisible, or transport themselves through space and time. But Plagueis had never succeeded in duplicating any of those phenomena."

For one, the fact Plagueis explicitly cannot teleport makes it obvious there's no reason to assume Maul can, or really anyone else for that matter (Dooku, Vader, etc.).

For two, it's not even clear if Plagueis has a manual on how to teleport anyway. Just because Plagueis has recounts of the abilities of past Sith Masters doesn't mean he then knows how to do said abilities.

The Ellimist
uhhh that was like before Plagueis had even met Palpatine, and waaaay before his power peaked. Indeed, one of the main themes of the novel was that Plagueis later realized he could actually do all of that stuff by himself just through willpower despite having no talent for sorcery and no instruction in any of it.

Jaggarath
By willpower, I'm pretty sure Plagueis meant MM, as he's able to give himself abilities he otherwise cannot do, lmao.

The fact it's pre-prime is obviously irrelevant, given it's still set after Plagueis killed Tenebrous.

Originally posted by The Ellimist
and no instruction in any of it.

Although the fact you seem to agree Plagueis has no instruction on how to teleport really makes it nigh-implausible Maul knows how, lmao.

The Ellimist
What does that even mean?

It's about activation time, and more generally how the dynamics of teleportation interact on a practical level with someone consistently trying to close the gap against you. It's not necessarily enough to just say that teleportation is "easy" and "fast" to activate - there has to be some limit or else Revan would just spam it almost 100% of every fight instead of going up to Satele Shan and dueling her per the trailer.

If Revan is dealing with a rapid flurry of lightsaber strikes at close quarters, does he have to let his guard down for half a second to teleport? Can he afford to do this? This is hardly some sort of pedantic question when we know that it isn't casual to just use other Force powers like TK and lightning in the middle of an intense duel, or see Zannah not initially being able to pull off her sorcery in the RoT duel because the Jedi were attacking her too ferociously. That Revan has done it in close quarters doesn't mean he can just do it all the time (aka Maul has used TK in close quarters too, but it isn't 100% of the time effective).

Jaggarath
Revan has explicitly shown to be able to teleport in the midst of combat over five times, and Dread Master Tyrans has shown the ability to teleport multiple times in the span of a second.

So, it's clear the limit isn't based on an inability to use it in battle or a timer between uses, so it's perfectly eligible against Maul (not that Revan will need it). Like any Force power, it's obviously still taxing, and if there's no good reason to use it, then there's no reason to use it. Revan teleporting to the other side of the Forgotten Terrace is irrelevant if he can just grip and throw Shan instead, for instance.

The Ellimist
In the midst of saber combat?

Jaggarath
Most of the times Revan (or the Dread Masters) uses teleportation is to disengage from saber combat to an area where there's no combatants.

The Ellimist
Then I suppose it's possible for Revan to successfully disengage from saber combat against Maul and then do so a few more times (as I don't think Revan can easily put Maul down with the Force), though it doesn't seem 100% clear to me because if we accept that Maul is a deadlier duelist than anyone Revan has faced, he can't necessarily disengage safely from him just because he can against Satele Shan. But if he can, he has the edge in this fight. Without teleportation he's in trouble at a short enough distance because Maul IMHO has far superior dueling feats.

Either way if the starting distance is great enough Revan has greater offensive Force abilities, so he would win in most situations.

Jaggarath
It's not a matter of disengaging from Satele Shan, it's a matter of disengaging from Satele Shan, Darth Marr, Lana Beniko, the Outlander, and a number of non Force-sensitives firing blasters, missiles, and explosives at him, and ships running bombing runs against him, which he does multiple times over, lmao.

The Ellimist
Well obviously the ships aren't bombing him at the same time he's engaged in a duel, and I doubt the smugglers are shooting missiles at him then either. But I probably agree with your general point.

except it was a nexus smile

Jaggarath
Glad you agree.

And I don't see why super sci-fi targeting computers or the best gun-fighters in the galaxy couldn't shoot as Revan's fighting, lmao.

The Ellimist
Targeting technology in Star Wars is kinda inconsistent. It goes from being sub-civil war ironclad tier to way beyond the limits of physics. But tomato tomato.

AncientPower
Dread Master Raptus offensively teleported numerous Force-users to him. Revan's a tier beyond him. Maul gets teleported onto Revan's blade.

Darth Thor
Teleportation? Really?

How far and how fast can he teleport?

S_W_LeGenD
Revan murks.

Give Darth Maul a partner (i.e. Savage Opress) and Revan still murks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.