Darth Sidious created Anakin Skywalker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AncientPower
Don't movie scripts take presidence over anything C-canon?

https://youtu.be/y3cNmV0jPNY

Jaggarath
I didn't watch the video, but I know what you're referring to.

Making of ROTS says Lucas removed it because it would seem too unbelievable, IIRC. If it's no longer Lucas' opinion, then it wouldn't override C-Canon, and given Lucas worked on the DP novel, it's likely not.

However, I do recall Ian discussing how Anakin's birth is more like the anti-Christ than the Christ and that Palpatine was directly involved, at the last convention, so maybe.

Galan007
If indeed Palpatine was responsible for Anakin's creation, do you reckon it was intentional or unintentional?

I mean, of course his goal would have been creating life via midichlorian manipulation, but do you think he would've been purposefully trying to create *the* most powerful/force-sensitive being the galaxy had ever known, or was that bit just a cosmic fluke?

Selenial

Galan007
Up to RotS, the implication is that Palpatine intended for Anakin/Vader to succeed him: "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!"

After Vader's failure on Mustafar, however, Palpatine abandoned the thought of a successor, and started lusting after the sort of ultimate power/omnipotence that would allow him to become the immortal God of the entire SW universe. This is confirmed in the Tarkin novelization and Rebels respectively.

So canonically speaking, Palpatine also strove to be *the* Sith.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Galan007
Up to RotS, the implication is that Palpatine intended for Anakin/Vader to succeed him: "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!"

I do believe that he was lying to Anakin just to get him on his side.

Do you have evidence for your claim?

Galan007
Eh, the movie..? When he's fighting Yoda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDa7P_mRlr0&t=1m40s

Will that evidence work for you?

victreebelvictr
That's not what I meant, but okay then.

Galan007
Then what were you talking about when you quoted that specific portion of my post and asked for evidence..? Because that is obviously what I was talking about. confused

Jaggarath
Sidious saying Vader will soon (although likely already did, going by Legends at least) surpass him doesn't necessarily mean he hopes Vader will succeed him, as Lucas states Sidious' plan is to have a dynasty of all-powerful Skywalker bodyguards.

Galan007
Doesn't that seem kind of unrealistic, though?

Historically speaking, once an apprentice suspects that they are more powerful than their master, it is only a matter of time until some sort of power-play for supremacy occurs. Obviously Palpatine knows this as well as anyone, but his complete trust in Anakin/Vader was also his only real Shatterpoint, so I dunno... /shrug

Jaggarath

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Galan007
Then what were you talking about when you quoted that specific portion of my post and asked for evidence..? Because that is obviously what I was talking about. confused I was asking for evidence on why you believe Sidious meant what he said.

I didn't ask for a scene of the movie where he said it.

Galan007
Um, because he said it, and there is no reason to believe he was bluffing(especially given Anakin's potential to actually become that powerful.)

What are you asking me?

victreebelvictr
Nevermind then.

If someone says something, it doesn't make it true.

For example, Flowey says a lot of things that are not true just to manipulate you.

If someone says something, you need to back it up if they have a reason to lie about it.

Do you understand?

Galan007
Wow.

Lets try this another way: what reason do we have to suspect that Palpatine was lying there?

victreebelvictr
What reason do we believe he wasn't lying there?

In the future, Palpatine never allowed Vader to surpass him.

He obviously didn't mean what he said for whatever reason.

Galan007
Jesus.

victreebelvictr
Oh well then.

Last try, if Sidious planned on killing of Maul and did kill off Dooku, who says that Sidious wasn't going to kill Vader before he surpassed him.

Selenial

victreebelvictr
He planned on killing Maul.

He also planned on killing Dooku, but he had him killed at that point because he didn't find a replacement till then.

That is my opinion though, I am sorry I caused such a fuss. smile

Jaggarath
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
He planned on killing Maul.
No.

Galan007
And Anakin was always going to be his replacement for Dooku.

victreebelvictr
Oh okay, thank you.

I just read an article about this topc and I seem to have misunderstood some main ideas.

Sorry about the confusion. I thought Maul was just a place holder for the time.

Thank you for your patience! smile

DarthSkywalker0

victreebelvictr
Pointing me out all the time is a bit exhausting, isn't it? smile

relentless1
Sidious most certainly wanted Anakin to be his successor up until Mustafar and even afterwards he saved his life when he couldve just left him there and found a new apprentice easily enough so he cared about Anakin more than Dooku and Maul at least

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.