Best Old Console Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

victreebelvictr

Surtur
I have old consoles but I don't use them. If I wanna play an old game I just use a rom and an emulator.

Chrono Trigger is a great game. Zelda Ocarina of Time is also great.

victreebelvictr
I loved an oldy known as Clash at Demonhead.

Jmanghan
Brute Force on Xbox.

BackFire
Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are the two that pop to mind for me immediately. Playing those games when they first came out was a pretty amazing experience, they were both so far ahead of their time, even 11 or 12 year old me knew I was experiencing something incredibly special with each of them.

NewGuy01
What qualifies as an old console, these days?

victreebelvictr
NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, a little bit GameCube, PlayStation, Atari, etc.

cdtm
Double Dragon III. Best Double Dragon.

I don't care that everyone says different, it had so many improvements. A better combat system, the ability to run, multiple playable characters with their own unique style, one of the most epic ending boss battles in fighting game history,
interesting and varried mobs..

And it was the only game of the NES series I'd label "Nintendo hard".

victreebelvictr
It sounds like a good one, I am looking it up now! wink

On a scale from 1 to 10, how do you rate the overall difficulty?

John Murdoch
Great picks so far.

While not a console game, I'll throw a 20+ year old classic I'm just now playing for the first time courtesy of GOG.com: Dungeon Keeper.

Man is it a really fun, bizarre time.

John Murdoch
The newest of the "old" games I still play every once in a blue moon are

- Star Wars: Battlefront II for Xbox
- GTA: San Andreas, which I originally had it for Xbox back in 2005 - the memories, my my - but got it from PS Store on the cheap back in 2015-2016. When I left it, I had completed all the car heists on the tanker in San Fierro. Just the masterpiece of the open-world gaming genre.

However, through PS Store, I've gotten into some PS-one generation games that I hadn't played in YEARS, specifically Armored Core. I also regularly watch YouTube for reviews and listen to the soundtracks for most all of Squaresoft's NES-PS1 games, specifically FFI-FFIX and, just recently, Parasite Eve. I forgot that how great and beautiful of a game Aya Brea's first adventure in NYC was.

victreebelvictr
Sounds like you enjoy your oldies!

cdtm
Originally posted by John Murdoch
The newest of the "old" games I still play every once in a blue moon are

- Star Wars: Battlefront II for Xbox
- GTA: San Andreas, which I originally had it for Xbox back in 2005 - the memories, my my - but got it from PS Store on the cheap back in 2015-2016. When I left it, I had completed all the car heists on the tanker in San Fierro. Just the masterpiece of the open-world gaming genre.

However, through PS Store, I've gotten into some PS-one generation games that I hadn't played in YEARS, specifically Armored Core. I also regularly watch YouTube for reviews and listen to the soundtracks for most all of Squaresoft's NES-PS1 games, specifically FFI-FFIX and, just recently, Parasite Eve. I forgot that how great and beautiful of a game Aya Brea's first adventure in NYC was.

Armored Core is AWESOME. Owned it since I got a PS2, and got back into it a year or two ago (As part of a general binge that included Final Fantasy 9). Left it on the final stage, with those damned floating cubes you need to platform off.

Also beat arena mode on Project Phantasma a year or two ago. Haven't touched the campaign, but arena made it worth the ten dollars from Electronic Boutique.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
Sounds like you enjoy your oldies!

Yes sir: guilty as charged.

Originally posted by cdtm
Armored Core is AWESOME. Owned it since I got a PS2, and got back into it a year or two ago (As part of a general binge that included Final Fantasy 9). Left it on the final stage, with those damned floating cubes you need to platform off.

Also beat arena mode on Project Phantasma a year or two ago. Haven't touched the campaign, but arena made it worth the ten dollars from Electronic Boutique.

If I had ever heard of Project Phantasma, it's been years, but your post caused me to read up on it. That arena mode sounds like a lot of fun.

Bentley
Originally posted by cdtm
Double Dragon III. Best Double Dragon.

I don't care that everyone says different, it had so many improvements. A better combat system, the ability to run, multiple playable characters with their own unique style, one of the most epic ending boss battles in fighting game history,
interesting and varried mobs..

And it was the only game of the NES series I'd label "Nintendo hard".

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoys the sh_t out of that game.

Breath of Fire 2 was a game that I'm really fond to, I like that it has a fishing system, that each character has specific uses and great visual design + there are fusions. Another RPG goodie is Radiant Historia, really fun and immersive concept with a battle system that brings both classic elements and some variety to it.

Jmanghan
Gauntlet II was one of my faves on the NES.

victreebelvictr
Jman, long time no see!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.