Battlezone: Philosophia/Superman vs. Damborgson/Blue Marvel - Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
*Phil will be repping a non-all-out, Byrne era Superman. Dambo will be repping Blue Marvel.
*There will be a 3 post limit(1 opening post, 1 rebuttal post, and 1 closing post.)
*This is tentatively set to begin Friday(10/12), and conclude Monday(10/15).

So far as judges I have CosmicComet and deathslash. I'd like to get 3 more if at all possible, so if you're interested in judging this match, let me know here.

I will be hosting this. When the start date gets a bit closer, I will make a proper thread in the BZ forum.

xJLxKing

Galan007
They both seem pretty open to judges, so I'll put you down as a judge unless one of them says they have a problem with you for some reason(which I don't foresee.)

So that makes-
CosmicComet, deathslash, and xJLxKing as judges.

Two more would be fantastic. thumb up

-K-M-

One Big Mob
I think a good case can be made for Blue Marvel in a blog format like the Star Wars autists do, but I don't think Dambo is the one to make that case. And I don't think Phildo is going to allow it either.

I'd judge this slaughter if I weren't so busy... but I'm too busy to judge. I will just watch non-silently from the sidelines.

Leading Dambs to a slaughter

Damborgson
I take offense to that. You have no idea how far I can dive into the autism spectrum.

Galan007
Originally posted by -K-M-
Side question. I know you became a mod but why don't you have "moderator" under your name?

Like can someone call you a terrible person and there be no consequences? As I need to know....for a friend Raz has to make the tag separately after he mods someone new... And he almost always forgets to do that, apparently(but the mod tag is visible when I PM someone, which is odd but w/e.)

I still have all the privileges of a forum mod... Just flying under the radar as it were. stick out tongue

Originally posted by One Big Mob
I think a good case can be made for Blue Marvel in a blog format like the Star Wars autists do, but I don't think Dambo is the one to make that case. And I don't think Phildo is going to allow it either.

I'd judge this slaughter if I weren't so busy... but I'm too busy to judge. I will just watch non-silently from the sidelines.

Leading Dambs to a slaughter Bran, we all know that you literally have nothing else going on. srsly

One Big Mob
laughing out loud
Still don't want to judge.

Originally posted by Damborgson
I take offense to that. You have no idea how far I can dive into the autism spectrum. Do it then Mr "I give Magneto a round of applause while he's manipulating my blood"

If you're going to win, you're going to need lightswitch fixated levels of autism. Up your 'tism levels

Philosophía
Bran's version of a pep talk thumb up

We all know Damborg is gonna be all "pew pew".

And I'm gonna be all "my balls are hot".

-Pr-
I'll judge if you want, though I won't be offended if Dambo takes Superman being my favourite/second favourite DC character as evidence of bias.

NemeBro
Big fan of Superman obviously and also really like Blue Marvel based on what little I've read, so hoping Dambo can show me some cool shit from him. thumb up

If Phil and Dambo are fine with it I can judge.

Philosophía
I'm cool with both.

I know deathslash is a fan of Blue Marvel and sees him as really high up, and I don't have a problem with that either.

I also don't want anybody to overcompensate, and vote the opposite, just to break the personal preference.

In the end, it's all about the arguments. It doesn't mean that the judge has to hold the opinion he votes for outside this specific thread, both on the outcome and specific feats/fights being talked about.

So, basically, if a judge can be objective, I'm fine with it. And I think all as of now fit.

One Big Mob
Dambo's big plan of attack here, complete with Japanese

031ahzM3JEY

Honestly though, if you were planning something like this, I'll tell you right now, don't.

Damborgson
It's the Hulk bruh, you either jump or you clap.

Or you throw something at Magneto and he disassembles it and uses it to impale you. All fine options really.

--------

PR, you good thumb up

Same to you Nemo !

Bentley
If (and by if I mean when) PR fails to vote in time I'll judge in his stead.

DarkSaint85
I am able to judge.

Martian_mind
I'd be happy to judge as well, should the need arise.

Philosophía
So we have...8 judges.

Galan, feel free to pick, lol. We can go with 8, but...

beatboks
Obviously you have enough but if someone lags and you need a backup judge I'm available.

Galan007

Galan007
Wow. Too many judges isn't a problem we often have, lol. In the spirit of fairness, I guess I'll just do first come, first serve.

So the 5 judges will be:
-CosmicComet
-deathslash
-xJLxKing
-Pr
-NemeBro

I'd definitely like to keep Bentley, DarkSaint, MartianMind, and beatboks as reserve judges, though, just in case some of the other judges cannot submit a vote for whatever reason, etc.

Is everyone good with that?

Philosophía
thumb up

Galan007
Bueno.

So as a reminder: the contestants should submit their OPs to me via PM. Please make sure they're quotable on my end so that I can properly copy/paste everything in the thread.

All judges should submit their rulings to me via PM after the match has concluded. If there is going to be any sort of delay in getting your verdict submitted, let me know ASAP.

Again, this match will begin Friday 10/12, and conclude Monday 10/15.

leonidas
lol so guess i'm not needed. excellent. thumb up

DarkSaint85
You didn't need to guess that thumb up

Philosophía
I'm curious to see how people thinks this will go, actually, before the first post is in.

Any opinions?

DarkSaint85
Blue Marvel has relatively few showings. His highs are higher than Byrne Superman. His average is thus going to be higher as well.

Sure, Superman will have some great feats. But averaged over his 100s (maybe even 1000s?) of appearances (just Byrne), it's going to be diluted.

CosmicComet
I think it will be a relatively even debate.

Damb has few direct feats but access to plenty of power scaling opportunities.

Philo is willingly cutting himself off from anything related to Doomsday on that front.

Philosophía
Having direct control over the characters will make it fun, especially when we discuss low-showings, I can say that.

DarkSaint85
CIS will still be in play, I see thumb up

Philosophía
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
CIS will still be in play, I see thumb up https://media.giphy.com/media/RjWmz9k0Dsn6w/giphy.gif

Putinbot1
I take offense to that. You have no idea how far I can dive into the autism spectrum. Best post ever descibing comic book forum "serious" posters. I truly lolled.

CosmicComet
Can't wait to judge another Damb/Philo duel tbh.

Philosophía
http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/56/69/038a416f0d26588d0c76e34496c0dd50.gif

krisblaze
Looking forward to this!

One Big Mob

Damborgson
Bran is approaching flattering levels of obsession laughing out loud

I'm not going to pay you for these attentions if that's what you're looking for.

One Big Mob
There's like 4 people on the site. Don't oversell what you're offering.

It's either you or Carver right now, and nothing can bring Carver down from Cloud Nine.

Damborgson
You couldn't buy it either way so what's the price matter?

Find an affordable hobby please thumb up

One Big Mob
You couldn't buy it either way so what's the price matter?

Find an affordable hobby please thumb up Stab and steal bro. Stab and steal.

Like a papier-mache diorama of this battlezone?

Damborgson
Start with a Linkedin.

One Big Mob
That doesn't sound like a fun hobby. Seems like a trick tbh.

Philosophía
Damborg has never heard of the saying:

"If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life"

Little did he know, you love doing nothing.

Damborgson
This leaves me much to consider...

StiltmanFTW
laughing

One Big Mob

Galan007
Your mom buying you a few packs of ramen out of pity =/= getting paid, dood. srsly

Philosophía
thumb up
I'm getting paid to do nothing too. It's pretty alright. Wish it were my wage but it's better than nothing. I'm sure damborg understands.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Galan007
Your mom buying you a few packs of ramen out of pity =/= getting paid, dood. srsly My mom pays me in tummy kisses bro.

Being serious for a second though, everytime I eat ramen (which is like 1-3 times a year), it makes me question life. I go in thinking I'll like it this time, and end up like Dambo challenging Phildo.

Galan007
Yeah, I'm not sure how the Surturs of the world can stomach ramen every single day of their jobless lives.

I've even tried that 'Cup-O-Noodles' crap a few times(and I've been told that stuff is like the champagne of ramen), and it's still unpalatable garbage.

Damborgson
If you add your own ingredients to it, like

Spoiler tags to not tantalize Bran with the unobtainable actual meat and vegetables it really picks up the flavor.

You're getting to the point where you might as well make your own ramen/soup though.

One Big Mob
Yeah, I'm not sure how the Surturs of the world can stomach ramen every single day of their jobless lives.

I've even tried that 'Cup-O-Noodles' crap a few times(and I've been told that stuff is like the champagne of ramen), and it's still unpalatable garbage. That bowl stuff with the sweet sauce and hot sauce is barely edible, and that's apparently the top of the line stuff.

If you add your own ingredients to it, like

Spoiler tags to not tantalize Bran with the unobtainable actual meat and vegetables it really picks up the flavor.

You're getting to the point where you might as well make your own ramen/soup though. I've heard that from people too, but it's not something I'd ever try. Some people put canned shrimp in there too.

Chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Galan007
If you can afford shrimp and other delectables to put in your ramen, then you can clearly afford to not be eating ramen in the first place.

Smh.

-K-M-
If you can afford shrimp and other delectables to put in your ramen, then you can clearly afford to not be eating ramen in the first place.

Smh.

Haha

Stoic

Smh.

I considered having caviar with ramen once, but I decided not to.

xJLxKing

Galan007
*I made a proper thread in the BZ forum. I'll reopen it tomorrow after I have received the OPs from Phil and Dambo.

Philosophía
thumb up

I can feel Damborg, all ready to rumble.

Damborgson
https://i.imgur.com/xLuRXy7.gif

quanchi112
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e926be2efee33360fe7d79112ddd7d24/tumblr_p5eai0AT1U1vp67bvo1_500.gif

Philosophía
https://i.imgur.com/xLuRXy7.gif https://i.imgur.com/T2i7UPm.gif

Damborgson
Alright I just realized we need a few clarifications before submitting my draft.

No sundipping of any kind or that type of nonsense correct?

What constitutes the win? KO, Death, and containment?

Philosophía
No sundipping.

KO/Death sounds good. Although it will probably be KO unless one of us really wants to prove a point.

Damborgson
laughing out loud

"And then Superman stomps on his head, for emphasis."

DarkSaint85
Phildo, change your passwords immediately. You've been hacked.

Galan007
Alright I just realized we need a few clarifications before submitting my draft.

No sundipping of any kind or that type of nonsense correct?

What constitutes the win? KO, Death, and containment? Originally posted by Phil
No sundipping.

KO/Death sounds good. Although it will probably be KO unless one of us really wants to prove a point. *Added these stips to the OP.

I have also received Dambo's post. Once Phil has submitted his, this ball can officially start rolling.

Philosophía
I'll send it in about 5-6h thumb up

Galan007
thumb up

As mentioned, if you can make sure it's quotable on my end it would be appreciated. That way I don't have to tinker with the 'unrecognized text' in order to copy/paste it properly.

Galan007
*Both OPs are posted and the thread is open.

Good luck, fellas!

Philosophía
Perfect thumb up

Thanks!

Damborgson
Thanks Galan thumb up

Philo, would you like the honors ?

Philosophía
Yes. My OP was relatively short because I wanted you to post the arguments/scans in favor of Blue Marvel.

At first, I started posting and countering them in my OP, but then I felt like I was arguing with myself.

Damborgson
Solid thumb up

Sounds good.

CosmicComet
I don't have enough popcorn for this. So good already.

One Big Mob
Lot less clapping than I hoped for. Dambo put out a better opener than I thought... guy did his research apparently. Was I wrong about him?

Not a fan of this. Good thing it's not a one post "throw the planet into the non existent sun" tourney.

Damborgson
There's a scan of blue marvel doing an antimatter infused thunder clap that I'm saving for the right moment.

LordofBrooklyn
DAMBORGSON STOP STEALING MY BATTLEZONE FORMAT OR ELSE!!!

NemeBro
Originally posted by CosmicComet
I don't have enough popcorn for this. So good already. thumb up

Solid OPs.

carver9
Good job Damborg... just read everything. Amazing work friend.

XLR87T3
Byrne era stops at Hunter Prey, right? If so, Superman lifted a spaceship the size of a small moon, which is a country level strength feat. Even if he's still mid tier, he's like the very pinnacle of the tier

beatboks
Clearly I have to read me some Blue Marvel. Dude looks dope

carver9
Originally posted by XLR87T3
Byrne era stops at Hunter Prey, right? If so, Superman lifted a spaceship the size of a small moon, which is a country level strength feat. Even if he's still mid tier, he's like the very pinnacle of the tier

Scans? Are you talking about the ship he stopped in the vacuum of space?

Facee

Damborgson
I noticed that one of my scans is broken, would it be alright if I posted that single scan in the BZ thread directly ?

Galan007
Either that or I can edit it into your existing post. Whichever.

Philosophía
Posted. thumb up

Is it ok if we PM the final post to Galan?

CosmicComet
This getting real good.

DarkSaint85
After reading all that has been posted as of this moment in the BZ....

Originally posted by carver9
Good job Damborg... just read everything. Amazing work friend.

thumb up

Philosophía
After reading all that has been posted as of this moment in the BZ....

thumb up https://data.whicdn.com/images/68397309/original.gif

Damborgson
Either that or I can edit it into your existing post. Whichever.

Okay ! It's the one where I talk about Booster Golds opinion of Superman. The link should be there we just need to get rid of the that made it go invisible I think.

-----

Dont worry fans, this is within expectations smile

Galan007
It's not showing up at all on my end. PM me the link and I'll edit it in.

Philosophía
Tomorrow I'm at work and busy in the evening.

I was waiting for Damborg's second post, but I'll wrap my thoughts today and PM it to Galan, most likely. Different timezones are a b*tch.

DarkSaint85
Evenings are Darksaint's time.

Damborgson
I'll try to have mine up before you finish yours so you can see it before posting as well thumb up

Galan007
Originally posted by Phil
Tomorrow I'm at work and busy in the evening.

I was waiting for Damborg's second post, but I'll wrap my thoughts today and PM it to Galan, most likely. Different timezones are a b*tch. Hopefully you'll be able to read Dambo's post first, but if you're busy tomorrow I'll be happy to post your closing argument if need be.

Damborgson
I'm going to take a vacation after this.

-Pr-
I like that because I know **** all about Blue Marvel bar his origin, my vote depends entirely on Damborg's argument.

NemeBro
Originally posted by -Pr-
I like that because I know **** all about Blue Marvel bar his origin, my vote depends entirely on Damborg's argument. Same, with the added bonus that the Byrne era of Superman is probably the era I know the least about, so it is purely the interplay of Phil and Dambo's posts I have to go on.

One Big Mob
Dambo actually had a great chance to counter something Phildo said but he didn't didn't reach out and grab it, and I think that's going to factor into the judging. Might not have been a fun thing to argue for pages and pages but perfect for a BZ.

I'm not making jokes or being super critical either. Honest opinion, swear to Allah.

But that's just what I noticed. We'll see how things turn out. The kid had spunk and moxie...

But what was it? I'll never tell. It might not even factor in for that matter... meh.

Either way, good BZ. thumb up

Galan007
Just fyi- I never received a PM from Phil, so I'm assuming he's going to make his own final post later tonight.

Galan007
*Just received Phil's final response.

I'll be posting it after Dambo has posted his final response.

cdtm
Looking forward to a very close stomp. thumb up (Not saying who I'm backing)

Damborgson
Well, that's pretty much all I had. Thanks Phil, always fun ! Best of luck !

LordofBrooklyn
Well, that's pretty much all I had. Thanks Phil, always fun ! Best of luck !

I WARNED YOU!!!

STOP USING MY BATTLEZONE STYLE!!!

mad

Damborgson
Do you see any bold red text in my posts?!?!

Galan007
*All of Damborg and Phil's responses have been posted.

Judges, please review the thread and PM your verdicts to me directly once you have made a decision. Try to have them done as soon as practical.

Thanks, and good luck to Phil and Dambo. Good shit. thumb up

DarkSaint85
Nicely written, both sides.

Just want to say, let's keep the discussion in here free from judgements. If we attack the BZers, please let's keep it personal, rather than their arguments.

Bentley
Can we even talk about Dambo without attacking him?

DarkSaint85
All I know is, the more people use the central formatting, the better.

Philosophía
Galan was legitimately the most efficient host I've ever been under . Huge thanks to him.

Well, that's pretty much all I had. Thanks Phil, always fun ! Best of luck ! https://i.imgur.com/1J8U0ha.gif

CosmicComet
Galan I will send you my verdict in an hour or so.

Gotta re-read the last two posts.

Galan007
Originally posted by Phil
Galan was legitimately the most efficient host I've ever been under . Huge thanks to him. https://i.imgur.com/NeupNnp.gif

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Galan I will send you my verdict in an hour or so.

Gotta re-read the last two posts. Sounds good. thumb up

leonidas
mmm

Philosophía
*feels leo threateningly staring*

It helps that he's a mod, so he basically has superpowers.

Galan007
laughing out loud

Mod powers are really nice for hosting, tbh.

Unlimited editing abilities alone are invaluable for something like this.

CosmicComet
Verdict sent.

deathslash
Almost forgot, I sent my verdict hours ago.

Galan007
thumb up

NemeBro said his verdict should be in sometime tonight as well.

leonidas
laughing out loud

Mod powers are really nice for hosting, tbh.

Unlimited editing abilities alone are invaluable for something like this.

yeah. and being able to ban anyone in the tourney who annoys you is probably nice too. one more reason i should never be a mod? mmm

Galan007
As a regular ol' forum mod, I only have a 2 week banning window. Anyone registered longer than 2 weeks requires a Global to ban them.

So if I wanted one of you seniors banned, I'd need to PM Pr or Bada to have it done. stick out tongue

xJLxKing

Blight
That PR though.... He's a wiley old goat.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
Same, with the added bonus that the Byrne era of Superman is probably the era I know the least about, so it is purely the interplay of Phil and Dambo's posts I have to go on.

What are your thoughts now that you've had a chance to read it?

==

Sent in my vote btw.

Galan007
I have received 4/5 votes from the judges. There is enough for a winner to be determined.

You guys want me to post them, or would you prefer to wait for the final verdict for the lulz?

Damborgson
I'm down to just have them posted thumb up

Philosophía
Yes, post them.

Galan007
*Posted

Philosophía
Thank you to all the judges for the effort, and thank you to Damborg for a really good match. And thanks to Galan, again.

Hope you all enjoyed it smile

I will post some thoughts later today when I get a free window.

Damborgson
Thanks again everyone ! Superb job as usual Philo thumb up

I'm happy to have gotten some blood this time at least lol.

Looking forward to the trilogy, but for now....some rest.

Bentley
I'm happy to have gotten some blood this time at least lol.

That time of the month, huh?

leonidas
*le crickets*

CosmicComet
I still want to read the final judge's verdict.

Galan007
I PM'd JLx and told him that he could still submit a verdict if he wanted to.

Not sure if he will, but I would also be curious to see what his thoughts were.

One Big Mob
Imagine my surprise when 3 big Superman fans vote for Superman.

But no, my opinion is probably closest with Paul. Me and that old one eyed Cyclops lookalike are pretty close sometimes, yet oceans apart geographically.
I would have just thumbs upped his post without reading it, trusting his thoughts mirrored my own. I would have just sent Galan a:

"At Paul thumb up"

DarkSaint85

But no, my opinion is probably closest with Paul. Me and that old one eyed Cyclops lookalike are pretty close sometimes, yet oceans apart geographically.
I would have just thumbs upped his post without reading it, trusting his thoughts mirrored my own. I would have just sent Galan a:

"At Paul thumb up"

Hey now. The Blue Marvel fan voted for...oh wait.

One Big Mob
Can't trust anyone obviously.

-Pr-

"At Paul thumb up"

laughing out loud

xJLxKing

deathslash
Hey now. The Blue Marvel fan voted for...oh wait. laughing out loud

Seriously though, I've always thought that BM could give one of the newer versions of Supes a tough fight, but without those Doomsday showings, and with so many low showings to pull from, I just considered Bryne Supes to be a bit beneath BM. That's not to say that Phil didn't make some excellent points that almost had me siding with him though. thumb up

Damborgson
Originally posted by Bentley
That time of the month, huh?

Fatality. laughing out loud

Also thanks XJL thumb up

Galan007
Originally posted by xJLxKing
I wasn't going to post my final verdict after reading Galan's PM last night.

I read all the posts last night but because it was my first post as a judge, I wanted to be as articulate and fair as possible. Unfortunately the 4 judges were able to beat me to it.

In truth, the reason why I wanted to judge is because I actually don't know much about this version of Superman. With that said, I was leaning towards Dambo.

I have a huge post saved at home, was finishing up last night. I may post it when I get home today. Yeah, 4/5 judges submitting their verdicts the same day the BZ ends is unprecedented... I wasn't expecting to receive them THAT quick, lol.

I still think you should post your verdict, though. thumb up

NemeBro
Imagine my surprise when 3 big Superman fans vote for Superman. But I hate Superman almost as much as I hate myself.

Galan007
Spoken like a true Clarkbag. thumb down

CosmicComet
I hate NemeBro too.

Have for years.

NemeBro
I never forgave you for how you treated burning thought.

CosmicComet
You know you loved it.

panthergod
Captain Marvel absolutely got a powerup to keep up with Superman's post DoS increases in his own series circa Power of SHAZAM #10 or so by Ordway.

Orion clearly got a general formidability increase post JK4W into Simonson's Orion where he finally was formdiable enough to defeat Darkseid HtH.

Diana got the Clayface upgrade during the Eric Luke run.

That's about the only flaw I see in his argument.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.