Starship Trooper Bugs vs Real Earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gauntlet o doom
The population of current earth as well as resources, weapons have been condensed into the the continent of Asia and Europe.

500 million bugs, from Starship Troopers, a mix of the types, are occupying Africa - this includes 5 brain bugs that humanity is aware of but don't know the exact location.

The continents are separated by a magical forcefield, which will disappear on an exact date and time in six months. Other continents are unpopulated. Antarctica is the only continent the bugs won't venture to or attack.

What happens? Which species survives?

Stoic
We would easilywin. We'd find a chemical to destroy their nervous system akin to Raid.

DarkSaint85
We move to Antarctica.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Stoic
We would easilywin. We'd find a chemical to destroy their nervous system akin to Raid. We most certainly already have + nukes and a lot of massive tanks that can simply drive over most bug types.

I like the idea of this thread though thumb up

Flyattractor
To Quote Roger Ebert talking about the Bugs. "They Blow Up Real Good"

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Stoic
We would easilywin. We'd find a chemical to destroy their nervous system akin to Raid.

Don't you think the starship troopers earth tried that?

They were more advanced than us by far.

One Big Mob
KIsv1YOFNys

Stoic
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Don't you think the starship troopers earth tried that?

Nahh, it was plot driven, so they forgot that all insects die if you mess up their nervous system. There are only a few that can resist this approach. Fruit flies for example have a strong resistance to certain types of Raid. We'd easily win trust me, it's the reason why we've been so successful at taming this world.

gauntlet o doom
I don't want to tip it either way but weren't the bugs burrowing into the ground? How do you distribute the chemical agent if even bunker busters won't blow a hole deep enough for it to be effective? And how do the humans defend from the cannon type bugs (who seemingly can shoot into the atmosphere)?

Mindship
In an infantry confrontation, the bugs would massacre us: I presume our standard issue rifle is less advanced/powerful than the troopers' one.

With artillery and cruise missiles, we'd dominate the battle field; we have much greater weapon variety than the bugs do. As for those underground: we can go bunker-buster, or just wait til they surface: they seem to have to surface before they can be effective. Hell, a single trooper took one out.

Cool thread idea.

The orbital blasters: take out with submarine-launched cruise or ICBMs, nuke or conventional. And this is all in addition to any sort of chemical offensive.

War would be messy nonetheless. IIRC, the bugs breed and adapt quickly. The human price paid will be very high.

Cool thread idea.

cdtm
The populance would beg for governments to build a wall.

VanMae
The bugs have lots of easily exploited weaknesses that the movie ignores because it is styled after the Vietnam war. There is no reason to have boots on the ground in a battle to completely genocide a species. The characters do all sorts of things that make no sense, but resemble things soldiers fighting Viet Cong did that made sense in that war.

What they should have done was glass the planet from extremely long range. If you can get a ship there, you can get a bunch of unmanned nuclear missiles there. There is zero reason to use police-action tactics in those circumstances.

youjest
Originally posted by VanMae
The bugs have lots of easily exploited weaknesses that the movie ignores because it is styled after the Vietnam war. There is no reason to have boots on the ground in a battle to completely genocide a species. The characters do all sorts of things that make no sense, but resemble things soldiers fighting Viet Cong did that made sense in that war.

What they should have done was glass the planet from extremely long range. If you can get a ship there, you can get a bunch of unmanned nuclear missiles there. There is zero reason to use police-action tactics in those circumstances.

Kazenji
Originally posted by VanMae

Even from that range would have to deal with the plasma bug's shooting their plasma burst's.

DarkSaint85
Yeah, there was a reason they couldn't just shoot from afar.

If anything, it was the bugs who were using long range attacks against us, with the asteroids.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by CosmicComet

For the most part yes. At least in Technology. Actual tactics...They fought like Full On ShitHeads.

The Spectre+
haha ........i remember that man doing a news report, and got dinnered by hungry bugs.

Diesldude
We can't eradicate roaches, how the heck are we going to beat those bugs. DarkSaint is right, move to Antarctica.

Flyattractor
First question that pops into my mind after he put down the Geographical Rules was...Can the Bugs SWIM? Cause if they can't....building a couple of WALLS could actually work if done fast enough.

Blight
Originally posted by Flyattractor
First question that pops into my mind after he put down the Geographical Rules was...Can the Bugs SWIM? Cause if they can't....building a couple of WALLS could actually work if done fast enough. A lot of them can fly...

Was this thread closed for a minute?

DarkSaint85
Assuming we're not just limited to the film:
http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Transport_Bug

gauntlet o doom
Originally posted by Flyattractor
First question that pops into my mind after he put down the Geographical Rules was...Can the Bugs SWIM? Cause if they can't....building a couple of WALLS could actually work if done fast enough.

Can walls be built fast enough if you had to do it at Istanbul, the Georgia border and the long Iran border?

Flyattractor
Well you said the bugs were in Africa so I was thinking of the Suez Canal. That and the Gibraltar being another very narrow and probably easy to defend. That and I would think the terrain of the middle east would probably not work to the benefit of the bugs trying to cross. Desert and Mountains and all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.