Luke Cage vs Jessica Jones: Throw comparison

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
Luke Cage throwing a 400 lbs tire at a sporting exhibition:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11122/111225835/6610373-tire.gif

VS

Jessica Jones disposing of Will Simpson's corpse.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1AHZy4h09AyRe4mgAq/giphy.gif

Which throw do you consider more impressive and why? Jessica clearly gets more distance, but the tire probably weighs about twice as much as Simpson does.

KingD19
Do they show how casually she throws him? Luke out almost no effoet into that throw. He grabbed it, did a half turn and let go. Then he posed after. If he'd thrown it with as much force as he could generate, that thing would've cleared a few blocks.

TheVaultDweller
IIRC, we don't actually directly see the throw, but we see her right after and she didn't appear to be breathing hard or anything, so it couldn't have taken her that much effort. But both of them accomplish a lot of their feats pretty casually. It's how Netflix makes up for the lower budget compared to the films. Can't afford a lot of flashy feats, so have them put almost zero effort into almost all their other less flashy feats.

For example:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PowerlessPoorFrog.webm

or

https://giant.gfycat.com/SpryFaintHuemul.webm

So, it's probably a safe bet that she also wasn't overdoing it or anything.

HulkIsHulk
There's one thing though. Luke was cool as hell while doing it, while JEssica was tensed. Adrenaline might have played a role

HulkIsHulk
Wait isn't that gif of her throwing away the corpse of the cop she killed by accident? the serial killer?

TheVaultDweller
Nah, that was Simpson after Jessica's mom snapped his neck. IIRC, Jessica dropped the other guy off some other ledge or something to make it look like suicide or an accident (I can't remember which and don't really want to have to go back to that show to check).

But now that you mention it, Jessica probably would have wanted to get that body out far enough for the ocean to take it, so she probably wasn't holding back much, even if she didn't overly strain herself either.

John Murdoch
Now I want a big throw in each season of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones going forward just like there is a big one-take fight sequence in each season of Daredevil.

TheVaultDweller
lol good luck getting that with Luke. stick out tongue

Surtur
The tire weighs more, but the sheer distance of her throw makes hers seem more impressive visually.

With all that said, I'd wager Luke could have tossed that body waaaay further.

Heh reminds me of the "little olympics" we would have at my grammar school. There would be a competition to throwing...with a softball lol. I got 3rd place once.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
lol good luck getting that with Luke. stick out tongue

I know. Tis a sad day. At least they went out with the best MCU villains to date.

Surtur
Originally posted by John Murdoch
I know. Tis a sad day. At least they went out with the best MCU villains to date.

IMO they will do a Heroes for Hire show on Marvels new netflix type thing they are doing.

Darth Thor
^ Doubt it. Turns out the ratings for Luke Cage and Iron Fist massively dropped in the 2nd season.

Dont think Disney will be interested in Marvel projects that Netflix dumped.

TheVaultDweller
All of the Netflix shows took a massive nosedive in viewership, including DD. But the marketing for these shows also dried up in recent times. A lot of people told me that they saw almost no advertising for s3 of DD, for example. So, not sure what Netflix was expecting. Honestly, almost feels intentional and spiteful.

John Murdoch
^Ya, I literally had no idea DD s3 came out until happening upon it surfing the web on overtime at work THE DAY AFTER it premiered on Netflix.

Not to mention it dropped, what, a month after IF s2?

I can understand people not streaming IF s2, as season 1 and Defenders were hot trash, but Luke s2 and DD s3? Don't know.

TheVaultDweller
Well, I know some of my friends in Australia said that there was like zero advertising for DD s3 there. As in it wasn't even showing up on their actual Netflix accounts on the day it dropped, and they had to look for it.

Now, obviously, for a giant fanboy like me, I had that date down and ready, so knew it was coming. But the more casual general audience won't think to look that far, and will expect it to show up if it drops.

John Murdoch
^I see. Just so weird Netflix wouldn't be pushing it to the forefront, and that Disney wouldn't be on them about it.

On another note, thoughts on any of the Defenders or Agents of SHIELD characters showing up on the silver screen of the MCU? It's probably been discussed on here before, but I'm curious to hear anything.

John Murdoch
Oh, and the tire thing: it just baffles me how the on-looking characters at Luke's exhibition just take him doing super super super-duper human stuff in stride. The ESPN commentators are just like, "Wow. That is a 400-lb. tire, and just look at that throw. Impressive," instead of being dumbfounded that a human just THREW A 400 POUND TIRE HALF A FOOTBALL FIELD.

juggerman
Well Luke was pretty well known at that point so that might explain why they weren't overly shocked

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by John Murdoch
^I see. Just so weird Netflix wouldn't be pushing it to the forefront, and that Disney wouldn't be on them about it.

On another note, thoughts on any of the Defenders or Agents of SHIELD characters showing up on the silver screen of the MCU? It's probably been discussed on here before, but I'm curious to hear anything.

The only one that I know of for sure is Coulson, who will be de-aged in Captain Marvel. But he started on the big screen, so not surprised. It will be interesting once the Disney streaming service launches. Because we know some of the big screen guys are supposedly getting their own shows, such as Loki, Bucky and Falcon etc. So, they might use that opportunity to bring some of the tv characters in.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by juggerman
Well Luke was pretty well known at that point so that might explain why they weren't overly shocked

True, but seeing his capabilities in person - you think one would be more taken aback actually being there.

My issue was that Luke's sport-a-thon was supposed to be something aired on ESPN in-verse, where you have stuff like soccer players doing backflips to score goals and basketballers jumping over people for a dunk. People get pretty amped in person seeing that (Shaq's reaction to Vince Carter's dunk contest win back in the late 90's, for example).

Now, imagine seeing a dude run a 3-something 40-yard dash. Insane. Superhuman. Then the same guy legit grabs a tire that is difficult to flip and throw it with greater ease than an Olympian track-and-field athlete tosses a discus.

It was a (minor) suspension of disbelief issue for me. Enough so that I had to explain why it took me out of the episode to my wife.

KingD19
Almost everyone in thw crowd has seen Luke doing stuff like that though for a year or more. So as impressive as it is, it's more of the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.