So let's talk Brexit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
I'm not really following this close enough to feel entitled to an opinion, but does anyone here feel strongly on the subject?

I was watching CNN just now, and they went into some benefits of staying, such as increased security, access to the market. They emphesised Britain leaving would be bad for them, and very bad for us, as the United States relies on Britain to be their emissary into the EU.

Then, they finished their point by claiming in exchange for this security, there has to be payment into the system. And that means sometimes, someone else makes the rules.

Interesting point, that. It's really easy for the right to latch on with a "Liberty for security" battle cry, if they're paying attention.

BrolyBlack
Is Brexit even happening?

Surtur
Feels super easy to sit in the US and talk about how Brexit is bad and that one country needs to allow other countries to dictate rules to them.

Flyattractor
51% of the UK Voted For it. A Small Minority decided that they would NOT do as the People Voted for because...Elitist Slave Think.

Because Leftists do not practice what they preach.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
51% of the UK Voted For it. A Small Minority decided that they would NOT do as the People Voted for because...Elitist Slave Think.

Because Leftists do not practice what they preach.

What gets me is the same people calling for another vote would scream "no" if there was a 2nd vote and the remoaners won and the leavers called for a 3rd vote.

Emperordmb
I'm strongly pro-Brexit. The UK deserves its national sovereignty. Sucks what their own government is doing to them right now.

Putinbot1
The fact a vote for Brexit took place shows EU member states always had sovereignty.

SquallX
Originally posted by Putinbot1
The fact a vote for Brexit took place shows EU member states always had sovereignty.

laughing

Putinbot1
You clearly are clueless. For onstance the UK has ignored numerous EU directives, like the destruction of DNA records and fingerprints of people arrested.

Flyattractor
Yes. Remember. "Sovereignty" means Your country is Free to Do What Ever it Wants...as long as it gets permission form your EU Overlords.

Putinbot1
You clearly are clueless. For onstance the UK has ignored numerous EU directives, like the destruction of DNA records and fingerprints of people arrested.

Putinbot1
Barking retards are ridiculous...
https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

Flyattractor
http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10119719.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Anti-Brexit-protesters-one-wearing-a-giant-Theresa-May-head-hold-placards-outside-Parliament-on-th.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus

Putinbot1
All true

dadudemon

Surtur
It also seems like the remoaners in the UK just pretend that those who voted for Brexit just did it cuz they are uninformed rather than having a legit reason. Which of course just makes matters worse.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
It also seems like the remoaners in the UK just pretend that those who voted for Brexit just did it cuz they are uninformed rather than having a legit reason. Which of course just makes matters worse.

Correct. My write-up is only about the economics of it. Some wanted Brexit because they do not want such open boarders with EU members.

BackFire
Seems like it's going swimmingly, really. Seems like progress has been smooth as silk.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
Correct. My write-up is only about the economics of it. Some wanted Brexit because they do not want such open boarders with EU members. Most wanted it because they are racists.

Surtur
Most wanted it because they are racists.

No.

Robtard

Bingo

Surtur
As long as the UK has never once been penalized in any way at all for ignoring an EU directive...cool.

dadudemon
Most wanted it because they are racists.

I didn't say it, you did. peaches

SquallX

-Pr-
Being in the EU doesn't erase people's way of life or trample on their traditions. Not in any massive way.

If Britain doesn't want to be in the EU, then that's their choice; the problem is that the government there thought that they could still get the benfits of being in the EU without any of the drawbacks. Their attitude towards Ireland alone shows that they thought they could have their cake and eat it too, and it's only in seeing that the EU isn't bending over, that they're realising what they might be losing.

And let's be honest; it's not like separating is some blanket series of benefits, especially considering the British government's attitude towards its own citizens in certain areas like privacy and such.

BackFire
Sounds like the whole thing is really up in the air right now, no one really knows, once again, what the heck is going to happen now that May delayed the vote.

I think the whole thing will probably just fail in the long run, I think Brexit will probably never really come to fruition, and if it does it will be such a meek version of it that it will just end up being in name only.

BrolyBlack
The funny thing will be if it actually never happens even though it was voted on.

How could the UK call themselves a democracy anymore if it doesn't happen?

Also Congrats to PR for becoming a global mod.

BackFire
There are plenty of things we vote on here that never really come to fruition. In California there was just a ballot initiative that passed essentially rejecting daylight savings time, but it will likely never happen because of various hurdles and technicalities.

With Brexit it was known from the start that the referendum was non binding. I think the British government does deserve at least some credit for seemingly making a sincere effort to follow the will of the people even though those in power don't think it's a good idea.

BrolyBlack
I honestly don't think its that big of a deal, they still run off the pound, they are an island and have their own standing government, stock exchange, military, and intelligence services.

Why is it so hard to get out of the EU, and on that note, why should any deal be a binding deal for an indefinite amount of time?

BackFire
Well it's not like it will cause armageddon or anything, but it could have a significant impact on their economy if it's not done very carefully, and obviously no politician in power wants to preside over a large hit to the economy.

I'm sure there are legitimate complaints over whatever deal they have with the EU, but I think the way the whole thing has played out has probably only weakened Britain's power in negotiations because the EU knows that 1) those in power don't really want to do it and 2) Time is on their side in all this, the longer this plays out the less likely it is that Brexit comes to pass, so the EU has no real reason to play ball or do anything but drag their feet and just go "haha, you guys ****ed up, have fun".

BrolyBlack
thumb up

Putinbot1

Yeah, most of them didn't know what the EU was. And as the articles below show, a strong argument can be made for racism, one I agree with as a Brit and an Expat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/?noredirect=on

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/frenzy-hatred-brexit-racism-abuse-referendum-celebratory-lasting-damage

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-racism-uk-post-referendum-racism-hate-crime-eu-referendum-racism-unleashed-poland-racist-a7160786.html

dadudemon
Yeah, most of them didn't know what the EU was. And as the articles below show, a strong argument can be made for racism, one I agree with as a Brit and an Expat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/?noredirect=on

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/frenzy-hatred-brexit-racism-abuse-referendum-celebratory-lasting-damage

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-racism-uk-post-referendum-racism-hate-crime-eu-referendum-racism-unleashed-poland-racist-a7160786.html

Perhaps we are living in our own bubble on KMC and take for granted that we are all fairly informed. We mock each other for being stupid, dumb, ignorant, biased, etc.

But what we do not acknowledge is that we are a bunch of nerds posting on a dying forum. It's not that we are better than the rest of the population. We find these things interesting: hence the "nerd" label. But most people don't know about this stuff. They don't care. We should remember that what we find important is not important to a huge portion of the population in every country.

I do find it disturbing that a healthy portion of the UK population is so ignorant of the EU.

Here are results of a survey to tested the knowledge of the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/nov/27/brits-least-knowledgeable-european-union-basic-questions

The UK performed the worst or second worst.

I got 2 out of the 3 questions right. I missed the 3rd question.

Also, the data indicates that being informed or uninformed about the EU does not change the positive or negative view of the EU. Meaning, you could be informed and think negatively of the EU. The researchers were hoping to find that a negative view of the EU was just ignorance but it turns out it is not. The researchers cautioned that the data may not be strong enough to make this conclusion (because they wish to hold out to prove that ignorance = bias against the EU).

Surtur

Wise choice, you avoided looking silly by trying to blame this on nothing but racism.

We can still enjoy the hilarity of the side that whines the most over groups being generalized...generalizing millions of people.

Bentley
Coming from a EU country there is a long continuity of people disliking the EU and voting against more involvement of the EU in country policy for all sort of diverging reasons. Many of those worries are legitimate and could come from any informed person but many of the negative perceptions about the EU assumes we go on with essentially a single (current) international policy.

Validating the EU as it is now is one thing. Validating what it could be is barely ever reported on polls at all, because it's political fiction. So even among people who welcome the EU as an idea might just bash it on practice.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bentley
Coming from a EU country there is a long continuity of people disliking the EU and voting against more involvement of the EU in country policy for all sort of diverging reasons. Many of those worries are legitimate and could come from any informed person but many of the negative perceptions about the EU assumes we go on with essentially a single (current) international policy.

Validating the EU as it is now is one thing. Validating what it could be is barely ever reported on polls at all, because it's political fiction. So even among people who welcome the EU as an idea might just bash it on practice.

^Take your nuanced views out of here, we don't take kindly to them 'round these here parts. Brexit was nothing but racism and you're also a racist if you can't even admit that.

Putinbot1
Perhaps we are living in our own bubble on KMC and take for granted that we are all fairly informed. We mock each other for being stupid, dumb, ignorant, biased, etc.

But what we do not acknowledge is that we are a bunch of nerds posting on a dying forum. It's not that we are better than the rest of the population. We find these things interesting: hence the "nerd" label. But most people don't know about this stuff. They don't care. We should remember that what we find important is not important to a huge portion of the population in every country.

I do find it disturbing that a healthy portion of the UK population is so ignorant of the EU.

Here are results of a survey to tested the knowledge of the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/nov/27/brits-least-knowledgeable-european-union-basic-questions

The UK performed the worst or second worst.

I got 2 out of the 3 questions right. I missed the 3rd question.

Also, the data indicates that being informed or uninformed about the EU does not change the positive or negative view of the EU. Meaning, you could be informed and think negatively of the EU. The researchers were hoping to find that a negative view of the EU was just ignorance but it turns out it is not. The researchers cautioned that the data may not be strong enough to make this conclusion (because they wish to hold out to prove that ignorance = bias against the EU). what happened was unpleasant rhetoric and downright lies were used by some very rich people who bankrolled vote leave. They were not challenged and a large number of the people who voted, mainly not very educated voted along these "popularist" lines. Gimping the younger generation in regards to working in Europe, easy travel etc. The basis for a lot of this was we would not get immigrants, the immigrants people were worried about were non EU immigrants, leaving the EU actually may increase the influx of non EU immigrants, particularly from commonwealth countries in Sub Saharan Africa.

Surtur
what happened was unpleasant rhetoric and downright lies were used by some very rich people who bankrolled vote leave. They were not challenged and a large number of the people who voted, mainly not very educated voted along these "popularist" lines. Gimping the younger generation in regards to working in Europe, easy travel etc. The basis for a lot of this was we would not get immigrants, the immigrants people were worried about were non EU immigrants, leaving the EU actually may increase the influx of non EU immigrants, particularly from commonwealth countries in Sub Saharan Africa.

So it was only the leave side that lied? The other side never did? Never misrepresented anything?

Putinbot1
So it was only the leave side that lied? The other side never did? Never misrepresented anything? we'll project fear as the right called it seems to be coming true economically somewhat late. But happening, whereas the money for the NHS and the implied reduction in non European immigrants are both outright lies, intended to trigger the racist and vulnerable.

Surtur
we'll project fear as the right called it seems to be coming true economically somewhat late. But happening, whereas the money for the NHS and the implied reduction in non European immigrants are both outright lies, intended to trigger the racist and vulnerable.

So yes, both sides did, understood.

Your country should never have a referendum again. It lacks the maturity to do so and commit to the result. In the end it comes off like those in power are just f*cking with the citizens and there sure as shit doesn't seem to be a side that can truthfully claim "we didn't try to manipulate the vulnerable".

Putinbot1
So yes, both sides did, understood.

Your country should never have a referendum again. It lacks the maturity to do so and commit to the result. In the end it comes off like those in power are just f*cking with the citizens.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/07/now-we-know-extent-vote-leave-s-lies-we-must-hold-second-referendum%3famp

You can't really equalise the two

Surtur
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/07/now-we-know-extent-vote-leave-s-lies-we-must-hold-second-referendum%3famp

You can't really equalise the two

Ah so the logic is "the side that won lied so it's tainted"?

Good thing we don't apply that logic in America cuz every single election would have been tainted. All of them. Every single presidential election would require a do over.

Putinbot1
That's not the logic at all. Your reading comprehension is terrible Surtur. It's like you imagine what the article is saying. And you're doing your triggered multiple post thing, you know the one you do when triggered.
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/vote-leave-broke-electoral-law-and-british-democracy-is-shaken& amp;ved=2ahUKEwjKmKrKipjfAhUKRBoKHXejBfAQFjABegQIC
RAB&usg=AOvVaw1Pq9cI_X-PTWrNnKoEwIrO&ampcf=1p

cdtm
Referendum isn't binding under law.

Accepting donations from a foreign power to influence an election most certainly is covered by law.

Surtur
That's not the logic at all. Your reading comprehension is terrible Surtur. It's like you imagine what the article is saying. And you're doing your triggered multiple post thing, you know the one you do when triggered.
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/vote-leave-broke-electoral-law-and-british-democracy-is-shaken& amp;ved=2ahUKEwjKmKrKipjfAhUKRBoKHXejBfAQFjABegQIC
RAB&usg=AOvVaw1Pq9cI_X-PTWrNnKoEwIrO&ampcf=1p

Are you whining about campaign finance violations now? Sounds like it. I sure as f*ck hope you have more than that.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by cdtm

Accepting donations from a foreign power to influence an election most certainly is covered by law. true, we'll see if it can be reversed, many remainders are ashamed they were duped. It will be different if a second referendum takes place.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bentley

Very nice input into the convo. I really liked this post. This is the kind of stuff I want to read from people that are actually in the EU - perspectives that we Americans just don't know about.

dadudemon
what happened was unpleasant rhetoric and downright lies were used by some very rich people who bankrolled vote leave. They were not challenged and a large number of the people who voted, mainly not very educated voted along these "popularist" lines. Gimping the younger generation in regards to working in Europe, easy travel etc. The basis for a lot of this was we would not get immigrants, the immigrants people were worried about were non EU immigrants, leaving the EU actually may increase the influx of non EU immigrants, particularly from commonwealth countries in Sub Saharan Africa.

Please do not mistake my question as me being disingenuous. My coming up question reads like I am being a smartass but I am asking in sincerity. I know I can be a bastard but I want to make it absolutely clear that my question is genuine:

If the consensus by the economists is that leaving the EU would have a slight net-negative on the UK economy, why am I consistently reading from anti-Brexit people, like you, that the elite rich used their power and money to influence people to vote in favor of Brexit? I see a contradiction in that logic. Surely the rich-elite would be aware of this contradiction? (That a Brexit would slightly harm them by conservative estimates and largely hurt them by some of the more liberal estimates).

Bridge the gap for me: I see a contradiction in your logic about how Brexit happened.

Putinbot1
Very nice input into the convo. I really liked this post. This is the kind of stuff I want to read from people that are actually in the EU - perspectives that we Americans just don't know about. the thing is no one is ever 100% happy with a system. You only have to look at the differences state to state in the US or the way when the Soviet union disintegrated many member states aspired to join the EU. Being I the EU or the US is much better especially for the young than being outside them.

Putinbot1
Please do not mistake my question as me being disingenuous. My coming up question reads like I am being a smartass but I am asking in sincerity. I know I can be a bastard but I want to make it absolutely clear that my question is genuine:

If the consensus by the economists is that leaving the EU would have a slight net-negative on the UK economy, why am I consistently reading from anti-Brexit people, like you, that the elite rich used their power and money to influence people to vote in favor of Brexit? I see a contradiction in that logic. Surely the rich-elite would be aware of this contradiction? (That a Brexit would slightly harm them by conservative estimates and largely hurt them by some of the more liberal estimates).

Bridge the gap for me: I see a contradiction in your logic about how Brexit happened.

No, it's much more complicated than you describe it. These are the main donors

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/politics/politics-the-21-biggest-donors-to-the-brexit-campaign-id6646673.html

For the everyday person, it was painted in lies as stemming non-European migration and more money for the NHS.

What these guys want is far worse, they want control given back to the most wealthy in the UK and a deregulation.

Brexit will work for some companies at the detriment of the people. It will also destroy the lower middle class. Lower Middle class has a different meaning in the UK to the US to avoid confusion.

BackFire
May is facing no confidence vote. Could lead to her being ousted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/brexit-referendum/prime-minister-theresa-may-faces-no-confidence-vote-amid-brexit-n946861

Putinbot1
Originally posted by BackFire
May is facing no confidence vote. Could lead to her being ousted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/brexit-referendum/prime-minister-theresa-may-faces-no-confidence-vote-amid-brexit-n946861 Let's hope and a second referendum.

Putinbot1
Some ways Brexit is damaging the UK as of now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-12/brexit-adds-to-u-k-credit-market-stress-as-oxbridge-bonds-soar

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randybrown/2018/12/10/brexit-the-abysmal-reality-of-becoming-poorer/

BackFire
May survived her no confidence vote.

Putinbot1
Yeah, she did. The majority of conservatives support her.

dadudemon
No, it's much more complicated than you describe it. These are the main donors

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/politics/politics-the-21-biggest-donors-to-the-brexit-campaign-id6646673.html

For the everyday person, it was painted in lies as stemming non-European migration and more money for the NHS.

What these guys want is far worse, they want control given back to the most wealthy in the UK and a deregulation.

Brexit will work for some companies at the detriment of the people. It will also destroy the lower middle class. Lower Middle class has a different meaning in the UK to the US to avoid confusion.

I'm getting mixed messages from you.

You indicated right at the beginning that it is more complicated than the way I phrased my question (that rich people are funding Brexit even though Brexit will have a small negative impact on the economy using conservative estimates). But then you link me to a site that runs down the top 21 donors who are all super rich people.

So either all these super rich people are idiots who not only wasted money on funding Brexit marketing and strategy initiatives, but they also invested in an economic downturn which will directly affect their wealth.

It still doesn't add up, dude.

I don't see how deregulation will help a sick economy. Are they delusional? Or are there other lies at play that we still have not uncovered?

Here are the Pros I keep reading about from pro-Brexiters:

1. Less immigrants who are ruining the country and culture. Safer due to less terrorists because they cannot get into the UK so easily.
2. Less regulations by getting out of the overly regulated EU.
3. No EU membership fees (lol).
4. More sovereignty. Being a bigger player at the diplomatic table.

I do have a solution to this Brexit issue, however. I think the US, Canada, Switzerland, the UK, Mexico, and Norway should form their own union.

We should call the Union: Amazing Nations of Upmost Supremacy or ANUS for short.

And the ruling body for ANUS should be called the Bureaucratic Organization of Opulent Barristers or BOOBs for short.

These ANUS BOOBs will be people that each nation elects to participate in the ANUS. And there will be two governing provisions to manage the ANUS from corruption:

If the BOOBs become corrupt, the people can vote to remove part of the ANUS.

If the BOOBs become complete idiots, the people can also vote to completely wipe out the ANUS. No more BOOBs in the ANUS so a surprise election will have to be held to put more BOOBs in the ANUS until the ANUS is completely full of all the BOOBs needed to keep the ANUS humming.

I think my thoughts on BOOBs and ANUS are fairly spot on. I really like how I have the BOOBs operating very tightly within the ANUS. I can't think of a more tightly run ANUS, if I'm to be honest.

Putinbot1
I'm getting mixed messages from you.

You indicated right at the beginning that it is more complicated than the way I phrased my question (that rich people are funding Brexit even though Brexit will have a small negative impact on the economy using conservative estimates). But then you link me to a site that runs down the top 21 donors who are all super rich people.

So either all these super rich people are idiots who not only wasted money on funding Brexit marketing and strategy initiatives, but they also invested in an economic downturn which will directly affect their wealth.

It still doesn't add up, dude.

I don't see how deregulation will help a sick economy. Are they delusional? Or are there other lies at play that we still have not uncovered?

Here are the Pros I keep reading about from pro-Brexiters:

1. Less immigrants who are ruining the country and culture. Safer due to less terrorists because they cannot get into the UK so easily.
2. Less regulations by getting out of the overly regulated EU.
3. No EU membership fees (lol).
4. More sovereignty. Being a bigger player at the diplomatic table.

I do have a solution to this Brexit issue, however. I think the US, Canada, Switzerland, the UK, Mexico, and Norway should form their own union.

We should call the Union: Amazing Nations of Upmost Supremacy or ANUS for short.

And the ruling body for ANUS should be called the Bureaucratic Organization of Opulent Barristers or BOOBs for short.

These ANUS BOOBs will be people that each nation elects to participate in the ANUS. And there will be two governing provisions to manage the ANUS from corruption:

If the BOOBs become corrupt, the people can vote to remove part of the ANUS.

If the BOOBs become complete idiots, the people can also vote to completely wipe out the ANUS. No more BOOBs in the ANUS so a surprise election will have to be held to put more BOOBs in the ANUS until the ANUS is completely full of all the BOOBs needed to keep the ANUS humming.

I think my thoughts on BOOBs and ANUS are fairly spot on. I really like how I have the BOOBs operating very tightly within the ANUS. I can't think of a more tightly run ANUS, if I'm to be honest. there's a lot more to it, you have to have an understanding of the British class system. Donor Harris for example got given schools because he supported the Tories first election around. What these people want is an impact on the fabric of the society. They want a return to an older class system. They want the UK before the second world war. As unrealistic and crazy as that is.

dadudemon
there's a lot more to it, you have to have an understanding of the British class system. Donor Harris for example got given schools because he supported the Tories first election around. What these people want is an impact on the fabric of the society. They want a return to an older class system. They want the UK before the second world war. As unrealistic and crazy as that is.

I can't believe you've done this.

Putinbot1
I can't believe you've done this. It's frighteningly true, they see a poor pool of people as cheap labour. They want the wealth in the hands of a very small few.

Putinbot1
It's social and economic engineering at a national level, with a population the size of one and a half of your states.

ArtificialGlory
Brexit is dumb and benefits practically no one. Also, the referendum should have required a supermajority to Leave.

BrolyBlack
Corbyn is flipping shit

Putinbot1
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Brexit is dumb and benefits practically no one. Also, the referendum should have required a supermajority to Leave. Absolutely True.

Flyattractor
yeah cause the EU is doing a Great Job at the moe.

Nice to see The EU push that Fascist agenda of theirs.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Flyattractor
yeah cause the EU is doing a Great Job at the moe.

Nice to see The EU push that Fascist agenda of theirs. It is doing a great job. It has flaws but what doesn't and no, the only people pushing fascist agendas are people like you.

Putinbot1
Yeah, All the Brexits are bad. A Bit Like Norway But Broke Brexit, Totally Racist Brexit, Blue Passport Brexit, Ireland in the 70s Brexit, The Scent of Beermat Brexit, The Sound of Leather on Willow Brexit, Boris Johnson's Ego Brexit, Tommy Robinson's alledged Mortgage Fraud Brexit. All shit.

Surtur
Brexit Endgame: Boris Johnson Suspends Parliament

Well damn. Intriguing! Surely they will fight this.

Early court ruling sides with Johnson in fight to suspend Parliament

yJxCdh1Ps48

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Brexit is dumb and benefits practically no one. Also, the referendum should have required a supermajority to Leave.

Nah, it's not dumb... it's the right thing to do and the majority of brits disagree with you.

-Pr-
A no-deal Brexit is still gonna **** with Northern Ireland because Boris and May before him haven't been remotely willing to work shit out. And they'll try to blame Ireland for not following them out of the EU, even though it wouldn't benefit Ireland in the slightest.

It's their choice to leave, but it really, really remains to be seen if they're going to benefit from it.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by cdtm

Accepting donations from a foreign power to influence an election most certainly is covered by law.

Goood thing Trump never did that then, eh?

Obama certainly interfered though in Israel's election years ago by donating money to Netanyahu's political opponent. But it's ok because it was Obama and not Trump doing it right?

Such a little snowflake...smh no

cdtm
Fly will have something to say about that!

He's our resident Trumper, in case you didn't know. 100% far leftist, you'll be in trouble when he gets back.

Blakemore
Reasons people voted leave:

1. Terror attacks
2. Job market saturation
3. Housing market inflation
4. International trade
5. Goods like oil and fish

Putinbot reads

1. Racism
2. Racism
3. Racism
4. NHS was a lie
5. Lol you're not Norway and they have free immigration you dolt!

no expression

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Blakemore
Reasons people voted leave:

1. Terror attacks
2. Job market saturation
3. Housing market inflation
4. International trade
5. Goods like oil and fish

Putinbot reads

1. Racism
2. Racism
3. Racism
4. NHS was a lie
5. Lol you're not Norway and they have free immigration you dolt!

no expression

Yeah, bashy/pooty, like all leftists, love to use the racism card on anyone they don't like.

Blakemore
Originally posted by -Pr-
A no-deal Brexit is still gonna **** with Northern Ireland because Boris and May before him haven't been remotely willing to work shit out. And they'll try to blame Ireland for not following them out of the EU, even though it wouldn't benefit Ireland in the slightest.

It's their choice to leave, but it really, really remains to be seen if they're going to benefit from it. May's solution was to keep the border open but only to Northern Ireland.

Boris wants a harsh border with discrete checks miles away that only applies to non Irish or UK citizens...as in the EU.

The difference is open border for Ireland and the UK, No one else. whereas May tried to keep Northern Ireland under EU trade law which would have benefitted Ireland and Northern Ireland but not all of northern Ireland.

Surtur
I mean they really never should have voted on this, it all looks so f*cking silly. U have people who want another vote, but these same people wouldn't want a *third* vote if the second vote went in their favor.

They shouldn't have held a vote if they weren't gonna go through with it. They shouldn't have held a vote if they were gonna go through with it but cuck to the EU.

What were they thinking?

-Pr-
May's solution was to keep the border open but only to Northern Ireland.

Boris wants a harsh border with discrete checks miles away that only applies to non Irish or UK citizens...as in the EU.

The difference is open border for Ireland and the UK, No one else. whereas May tried to keep Northern Ireland under EU trade law which would have benefitted Ireland and Northern Ireland but not all of northern Ireland.

Neither of which would have worked, because Ireland is still part of the EU. May wanted to have her cake and eat it too, and now Boris is being an insufferable **** about it all.

They made an absolute mess of Northern Ireland to the point that Irish reunification isn't as big of a want as it once was.

Robtard
One of the leading reasons people voted 'Yes" seems to have been this claim:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article18823586.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_Boris-Johnson-speaks-at-the-launch-of-the-Vote-Leave-bus-campaign.jpg

Which apparently is a lie, but that didn't stop Boris Johnson (aka the smarter Trump) from doubling down on the lie.

Robtard
Neither of which would have worked, because Ireland is still part of the EU. May wanted to have her cake and eat it too, and now Boris is being an insufferable **** about it all.

They made an absolute mess of Northern Ireland to the point that Irish reunification isn't as big of a want as it once was.

When Boris forces a no deal exit and then blame-shifts everyone else except himself and the UK dips into a heavy recession (as that seems to be the leading theory of what's coming), maybe Ireland can just take N. Ireland off the UK's hands for free?

Surtur
Yep its a common myth that remainers just voted to remain cuz they were misinformed.

It's not true, but people on the other side of the issue love to pretend it is in order to feel intellectually superior. Quite sad, that.

Robtard
Yep its a common myth that remainers just voted to remain cuz they were misinformed.

It's not true, but people on the other side of the issue love to pretend it is in order to feel intellectually superior. Quite sad, that.

This seems to be directed at me? Ease up with the hostility, geez.

Maybe click the link, it seems Boris' claim was not factual with the 350k a week claim, as it didn't take into account rebates and other factors, so yes, people were indeed misinformed on that issue it seems.

Surtur
Just making it clear that no we won't be brushing aside brexit as "people were just misinformed" smile

Robtard
Or don't click the link. No matter to me.

Surtur
Link doesn't negate what I said.

snowdragon
Link doesn't negate what I said.

All hail democracy unless it isn't the outcome some people don't like then it's misinformed voters......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

3 years after the vote and still working against the "will of the people."

Robtard
Originally posted by snowdragon
All hail democracy unless it isn't the outcome some people don't like then it's misinformed voters......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

3 years after the vote and still working against the "will of the people."

Let the UK exit, not really my business.

But if we're being honest adn not trying for eWins, most people in the US seem to be one or two issue voters, they find a thing (or two) that works for them and the rest is just background noise.

UK voters are probably not that much different and if someone's main issue was with how much money the UK sends the EU, they were indeed misinformed when voting if they listened to the Boris Johnson's claim.

Surtur
And yet in the end no brexit isn't gonna happen cuz of misinformed voters.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Robtard
One of the leading reasons people voted 'Yes" seems to have been this claim:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article18823586.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_Boris-Johnson-speaks-at-the-launch-of-the-Vote-Leave-bus-campaign.jpg

Which apparently is a lie, but that didn't stop Boris Johnson (aka the smarter Trump) from doubling down on the lie. What do you mean doubling down? He created the lie and lead a campaign he wanted to lose to score political points and not do the job he's not doing now.

And I like Boris.

They made an absolute mess of Northern Ireland to the point that Irish reunification isn't as big of a want as it once was. This is Boris' mess, I agree..... However, he clearly wants to make a profit on Brexit

We won't have a recession because Trump will bail us out with Greenland's money.

Blakemore
This seems to be directed at me? Ease up with the hostility, geez.

Maybe click the link, it seems Boris' claim was not factual with the 350k a week claim, as it didn't take into account rebates and other factors, so yes, people were indeed misinformed on that issue it seems. As opposed to that recession were facing?

Surtur
They need someone to blame, just let them. Bless their hearts.

snowdragon
Let the UK exit, not really my business.

But if we're being honest adn not trying for eWins, most people in the US seem to be one or two issue voters, they find a thing (or two) that works for them and the rest is just background noise.

UK voters are probably not that much different and if someone's main issue was with how much money the UK sends the EU, they were indeed misinformed when voting if they listened to the Boris Johnson's claim.

That could be the case but that isn't the premise they use in their democracy, as a matter of fact, if that is what they fall back to then the existing govt is literally undermining the people they represent as elites.

Robtard
As opposed to that recession were facing?

Not sure what to do with this non sequitur, aside from noting it.

Robtard
That could be the case but that isn't the premise they use in their democracy, as a matter of fact, if that is what they fall back to then the existing govt is literally undermining the people they represent as elites.

Maybe not, but it seems you think I'm arguing that the Brexit vote should be undone because of stupid voters who didn't bother to look into their main issue(s) before voting?

I'm not. As a voter, it's your responsibility to research what you're voting on and if the 'UK to EU weekly funds' was your go-to issue, you should have not blindly taken Johnson at his lies. An hour or less online would have told you that.

I'll give you another local example: When Trump claimed he was going to build his 50 foot high thousand+ mile wall and Mexico was going to pay for it, that was an outright lie and the Trumpers who believed the con and voted based on it without doing a bit of research (or just using common sense), it's their own fault.

Surtur
If you're arguing the vote to leave came about because of misinformation, you're misinformed.

If you wanna say a small part of those voters were misinformed(applies to any election or vote) then okay that is more acceptable. Nuance, embrace it.

Robtard
I'm being very clear with my points, there's no need for nuance, simply read.

I have no idea how many "yes" voters voted mainly on the 'UK to EU weekly funds' issue. But those specific voters who listened to Boris were misinformed, cos Boris' claim was not factual.

snowdragon
Maybe not, but it seems you think I'm arguing that the Brexit vote should be undone because of stupid voters who didn't bother to look into their main issue(s) before voting?

I'm not. As a voter, it's your responsibility to research what you're voting on and if the 'UK to EU weekly funds' was your go-to issue, you should have not blindly taken Johnson at his lies. An hour or less online would have told you that.

I'll give you another local example: When Trump claimed he was going to build his 50 foot high thousand+ mile wall and Mexico was going to pay for it, that was an outright lie and the Trumpers who believed the con and voted based on it without doing a bit of research (or just using common sense), it's their own fault.

I was simply mocking the democratic system of a simple majority, at least in the USA with our representatives they can choose to not vote the way their constituents vote (even though they aren't supposed to.)

Surtur
I'm being very clear with my points, there's no need for nuance, simply read.

I have no idea how many "yes" voters voted mainly on the 'UK to EU weekly funds' issue. But those specific voters who listened to Boris were misinformed, cos Boris' claim was not factual.

As long as you're not trying to lie and say brexit happened cuz of misinformation...cool thumb up

Robtard
I was simply mocking the democratic system of a simple majority, at least in the USA with our representatives they can choose to not vote the way their constituents vote (even though they aren't supposed to.)

Okay, mistook your meaning is all. My error then.

Robtard
As long as you're not trying to lie and say brexit happened cuz of misinformation...cool thumb up

You're clearly just trying to pick a fight at this point, as I'm beyond very clear with my points. I'll leave you to that.

Surtur
You're clearly just trying to pick a fight at this point, as I'm beyond very clear with my points. I'll leave you to that.

Again: as long as you're not saying brexit happened cuz of misinformation...no problem.

No reason for you to get pissy unless you do feel that way, but if you do I'd just rather you state it flat out.

Blakemore
Not sure what to do with this non sequitur, aside from noting it. this recession was a scare tactic and a lie. The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world FFS.

Wonder Man
The puritans tried to ban sex and we founded America.
Here we are today.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Wonder Man
The puritans tried to ban sex and we founded America.
Here we are today. sex created robtard.

Ban sex.

-Pr-
When Boris forces a no deal exit and then blame-shifts everyone else except himself and the UK dips into a heavy recession (as that seems to be the leading theory of what's coming), maybe Ireland can just take N. Ireland off the UK's hands for free?

It's possible, but the question of feasibility has to be answered. Ireland, realistically, would only be interested in taking over if NI would be absorbed in to the Republic proper, creating a united Ireland. There's a number of people up north that do not want that, and that's without even mentioning the fact that Northern Ireland doesn't have some of the same laws the Republic does when it comes to things like abortion and gay marriage.

Then there's the cost. Northern Ireland is NOT a booming economy. Absorbing those six counties in to the Republic is going to be crazy expensive.

Most of all though, I'm worried about a return to how things were before the peace process stopped a lot of the violence that was going on up there.

Just making it clear that no we won't be brushing aside brexit as "people were just misinformed" smile

A lot of the people voting to leave WERE lied to, though. You can say people on the remain side were lied to too, but that doesn't change the initial point.

What do you mean doubling down? He created the lie and lead a campaign he wanted to lose to score political points and not do the job he's not doing now.

And I like Boris.

This is Boris' mess, I agree..... However, he clearly wants to make a profit on Brexit

We won't have a recession because Trump will bail us out with Greenland's money.

laughing out loud

Surtur
Well it might put the point into perspective if we acknowledge both sides were lied too.

Yet the narrative seems to be one side was misinformed and the other side wasn't.

rudester
Yar you tell him

Blakemore
Leaves were lied to and scared by immigration and hopes of NHS. Racist and vulnerable people.

Not everyone voted leave because of it.

Doesn't matter. Scare tactics and lies were used by the leave campaign.

The remain campaign scared us with talks of recession and being labeled racist. (Ironically, the Scottish referendum wasn't Scots being racist, because that was Scottish pride) I guess only white Anglo Saxons are racist....

They also said moronic bullshit like the EU helps autonomous countries like Scotland Wales and NI.

Doesn't change the facts.

No, it diminishes the point you're trying to make.

How?

Scare tactics and false claims are commonly used by politicians. It isn't racist.

Herp deep racists lied to us cos we dumb. Oh Trumpers.

eThneoLgrRnae
Leaves were lied to and scared by immigration and hopes of NHS. Racist and vulnerable people.

Not everyone voted leave because of it.

Doesn't matter. Scare tactics and lies were used by the leave campaign.

The remain campaign scared us with talks of recession and being labeled racist. (Ironically, the Scottish referendum wasn't Scots being racist, because that was Scottish pride) I guess only white Anglo Saxons are racist....

They also said moronic bullshit like the EU helps autonomous countries like Scotland Wales and NI.

Doesn't change the facts.

No, it diminishes the point you're trying to make.

How?

Scare tactics and false claims are commonly used by politicians. It isn't racist.

Herp deep racists lied to us cos we dumb. Oh Trumpers.

laughing laughing

thumb up

No doubt all of those saying the "leavers" were "misinformed" would also probably claim that people who voted for Trump over that old hag Hillary were also "sorely misinformed" because of so-called "russian propaganda" or some other nonsense. laughing out loud

But nah, we didn't need any help from Russia or anyone else to know that Trump was far more preferable to that evil lying witch. thumb up

Blakemore
This is a Brexit thread and I can't believe I didn't think of the 5th solution.

1 EU border is harsh border between Eire and NI disrupting good Friday agreement
2 EU border is in the Irish sea, pissing off NI
3 EU border stays the same, pissing off England
4 NI rejoins Eire, pissing off Ireland OR
5 Britain reconquered Ireland

hmm

jaden_2.0
Northern Ireland rejoining the Republic wouldn't piss off the Republic of Ireland. It would piss off the DUP and British protestant loyalists who live in Northern Ireland.

Britain no longer has the military capacity to reconquer anyone. Much of the delusion surrounding brexit leave supporters stems from the notion that we can someone reignite the wealth and influence Britain had during the empire days. Forgetting the fact that most of that wealth came from countries we no longer govern. Also neglecting to mention that British governments are notoriously inept at managing the country's wealth.

And why do you keep saying 'harsh' border. It's 'hard' border.

Wonder Man
Britain wants space exploration and so does America.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Northern Ireland rejoining the Republic wouldn't piss off the Republic of Ireland. It would piss off the DUP and British protestant loyalists who live in Northern Ireland.

Britain no longer has the military capacity to reconquer anyone. Much of the delusion surrounding brexit leave supporters stems from the notion that we can someone reignite the wealth and influence Britain had during the empire days. Forgetting the fact that most of that wealth came from countries we no longer govern. Also neglecting to mention that British governments are notoriously inept at managing the country's wealth.

And why do you keep saying 'harsh' border. It's 'hard' border. I would agree with everything and go further still. The British Government is notoriously inept...

We live in Post Colonial times. America and China are the dominant Empires but both are empires geared to trade, neither really wants wars, even trade wars cost money. The thing is Britain has no one to trade with after Oct 31st... we're ****ed!

Blakemore
First Brexit with no deal, then Trump negotiates deal with China, Russia and GB.

Donald Trump's on Putin while British Johnson explores da Gina.

This isn't even jokes anymore.

Back to Northern Ireland. I honestly don't know what to do other than a discrete hard border until NI has its referendum, which would probably mean we keep Belfast, Down and Antrim.

dadudemon
I would agree with everything and go further still. The British Government is notoriously inept...

We live in Post Colonial times. America and China are the dominant Empires but both are empires geared to trade, neither really wants wars, even trade wars cost money. The thing is Britain has no one to trade with after Oct 31st... we're ****ed!

I'll trade with you guys after Brexit. smile

And I hope my passport still lets me get in and out of the UK after Brexit!

-Pr-
Well it might put the point into perspective if we acknowledge both sides were lied too.

Yet the narrative seems to be one side was misinformed and the other side wasn't.

The problem with that, is that not all lies are created equal.

Brexit might lead to a period of prosperity for Britain, but there's just as much chance that it won't. And it certainly won't in the way they've been promising. Just because some politicians were arrogant enough to think the EU would allow them to have their cake and eat it too, doesn't absolve them of responsibility.

This is a Brexit thread and I can't believe I didn't think of the 5th solution.

1 EU border is harsh border between Eire and NI disrupting good Friday agreement
2 EU border is in the Irish sea, pissing off NI
3 EU border stays the same, pissing off England
4 NI rejoins Eire, pissing off Ireland OR
5 Britain reconquered Ireland

hmm

Originally posted by jaden_2.0

And why do you keep saying 'harsh' border. It's 'hard' border.

Yeah, Ireland wouldn't really be mad about actually getting the six counties back. Sure, we'd be pissed at having to fix NI's economy, but the cultural significance of having a united Ireland again after all of these years would be MASSIVE.

First Brexit with no deal, then Trump negotiates deal with China, Russia and GB.

Donald Trump's on Putin while British Johnson explores da Gina.

This isn't even jokes anymore.

Back to Northern Ireland. I honestly don't know what to do other than a discrete hard border until NI has its referendum, which would probably mean we keep Belfast, Down and Antrim.

The border as it is now, isn't really enforceable. Not to what I imagine EU standards are anyway. Hell, it wasn't during the troubles either, and that had actual checkpoints. Something would have to be altered.

Keeping 3 and giving 3 back wouldn't really solve anything imo, but who knows.

StiltmanFTW
Chances are, we'll all die before Brexit finalizes.

Blakemore

Brexit might lead to a period of prosperity for Britain, but there's just as much chance that it won't. And it certainly won't in the way they've been promising. Just because some politicians were arrogant enough to think the EU would allow them to have their cake and eat it too, doesn't absolve them of responsibility.

Yeah, Ireland wouldn't really be mad about actually getting the six counties back. Sure, we'd be pissed at having to fix NI's economy, but the cultural significance of having a united Ireland again after all of these years would be MASSIVE.

The border as it is now, isn't really enforceable. Not to what I imagine EU standards are anyway. Hell, it wasn't during the troubles either, and that had actual checkpoints. Something would have to be altered.

Keeping 3 and giving 3 back wouldn't really solve anything imo, but who knows. Belfast isn't a county, I was thinking more a Gibraltar type deal to negotiate with the DUP, only meaning Belfast and the two counties around Belfast, which are heavily protestant would have some crown autonomy and EU autonomy.

Or like a channel island, an oversees state or whatever

-Pr-
Belfast isn't a county, I was thinking more a Gibraltar type deal to negotiate with the DUP, only meaning Belfast and the two counties around Belfast, which are heavily protestant would have some crown autonomy and EU autonomy.

Or like a channel island, an oversees state or whatever

No I get that, I just don't think it's feasible.

Blakemore
No I get that, I just don't think it's feasible. It would benefit the DUP, and let's be honest, it's literally just protestants who work in Belfast who wanna stay.

Might be better just to keep Eastern Belfast.

mike brown
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Chances are, we'll all die before Brexit finalizes. This is my only input as an American. I don't particularly care about Brexit but when I hear the topic come up and they're still debating it 4 years after they voted for it and nothing's been done ... What exactly was the point of your vote?

Blakemore
It was 3 years ago.

Unpopular PM took the referendum for a majority not realising those extra MPs would campaign against him..... Which they did.

Next PM was actually just a fall person who did everything she could to lose the election, lose the decision, and just got in her own life boat.

Now the new captain has his sights at the iceberg. No going back now.

the ship is the Tory party. Not the UK

-Pr-
It would benefit the DUP, and let's be honest, it's literally just protestants who work in Belfast who wanna stay.

Might be better just to keep Eastern Belfast.

WE COULD BUILD A WALL!

Wonder Man
Parliament usually takes the side of the women right.

Blakemore
WE COULD BUILD A WALL! you mean like a Belfast wall?

Surtur

I'm just saying people sometimes comment in a way to imply one side is more informed than the other. It's not necessary, especially because it's not true.

-Pr-
you mean like a Belfast wall?

Bingo.

I'm just saying people sometimes comment in a way to imply one side is more informed than the other. It's not necessary, especially because it's not true.

I would argue that as it stands, one side is definitely more informed, as they know what remaining in the EU actually brings, whereas those that want to leave have a lot less certainty.

Surtur
I would argue nah. No one side is better and people need to stop pretending otherwise as it is pointless.

Surtur
To be fair, "we're more informed than you, we're better, vote our way" could get plenty of people on the remain side.

Point is, even if you believe one side is better...you're not gonna win anyone over by framing the argument that way.

Wonder Man
Britain wants us to be more involved in charity right. Like Princess Diana was.
Maybe if we all start to act like the richest nation on the face of the world we can start to earn our title.
Or will we choose our big stick to be something harmful.
A big charity stick is worth America's effort.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Britain wants us to be more involved in charity right. Like Princess Diana was.
Maybe if we all start to act like the richest nation on the face of the world we can start to earn our title.
Or will we choose our big stick to be something harmful.
A big charity stick is worth America's effort. American humour.

To be fair, "we're more informed than you, we're better, vote our way" could get plenty of people on the remain side.

Point is, even if you believe one side is better...you're not gonna win anyone over by framing the argument that way. It's just a circle jerk echo chamber here, mostly.

For once we actually have a decent thread discussion here with jokes.

I wonder who's missing... hmmm

eThneoLgrRnae
Bottom line is that majority of brits voted to leave. Sore losers can cry like little babies about "racism", the winning side being "misinformed", and the vote being "non-binding" all they like. It still won't change the fact you had an election and the people decided. Pretty sure the "leaves" didn't vote to leave the EU in name only but to actually... you know...LEAVE.

I guarantee you if the "remainers" had won any sore-loser talk about having a do- over vote would've been squashed immediately. Oh, and any talk about the vote being "non-binding" would've been squashed as well.

All of this whining from the losing side is just epic-level butthurt, nothing more. thumb up

Blakemore
Nope, not you...

eThneoLgrRnae
Nope, not you...

Everyone knows you're referring to wittle robbie but he doesn't usually post on the weekend.

-Pr-
I would argue nah. No one side is better and people need to stop pretending otherwise as it is pointless.

Point is, even if you believe one side is better...you're not gonna win anyone over by framing the argument that way.

Arrogance isn't a nice thing, no... But that doesn't somehow erase that the remain side have a better idea of how things will go than the leave side.

"They're as bad as each other" is a nice sentiment, but it falls kinda flat.

I mean, nobody on the remain side is as bad as Boris, to be fair.

Wonder Man
I listen to NPR but I think that public opinion is relevant to our government.
We as a people get to live the life we make in our country.

Blakemore
Arrogance isn't a nice thing, no... But that doesn't somehow erase that the remain side have a better idea of how things will go than the leave side.

"They're as bad as each other" is a nice sentiment, but it falls kinda flat.

I mean, nobody on the remain side is as bad as Boris, to be fair. May, Cameron, Clegg....

-Pr-
May, Cameron, Clegg....

Oh, they're all shite, but I don't think any of them are on Boris's level. Cameron's the closest though.

Blakemore
Well....yeah. But Boris, like Trump, hit the high score and reset back to zero when he became leader....

eThneoLgrRnae
May, Cameron, Clegg....

Boris is greater than all of those combined. thumb up

Blakemore
haermm

eThneoLgrRnae
^It's true, bud.

Surtur
You know if Brexit really is gonna be so bad...yeah, they kinda deserve it:

Mum arrested in front of her kids for calling transgender woman a man is hauled to court for trolling

Giggle.

No I'm not being serious.

Blakemore
We have a court problem.

Thanks EU

Wonder Man
The courts are instructed to release the arrested if the debt is settled on the way to the judge.
There is not a single problem.

Surtur
Maybe have a referendum on if these dipshits should be trusted with future referendums.

Wonder Man
The Queen commandos are all running around with X-ray machines.
Wouldn't James Bond take a steam.

Surtur
James Bond would think these people are phags for arresting people over online posts.

eThneoLgrRnae
Maybe have a referendum on if these dipshits should be trusted with future referendums.

"Bingo." thumb up

-Pr-
Well....yeah. But Boris, like Trump, hit the high score and reset back to zero when he became leader....

True.

I am glad it's him and not that prick Farage, though. Of all of them, I dislike him the most.

Blakemore
I unironically prefer Farage.

He didn't make the bus slogan or lie. I think he also wants less money in the NHS, which I agree with.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>