Freedom of the press

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
What does that mean, really?

If it's assumed that the press is a private entity owned by stakeholders, with the purpose of making a profit, and perhaps to push a false narrative to that end, then why should the press have this "freedom" everyone talks about?

If they were a public service who's function was to inform in a non-partisan manner , then perhaps. That isn't what they do though.

shiv
every country should have at least 1 public funded ie tax funded news station with its reason for being = inform the public.

Just like every for profit company reports to its shareholders.

There shoulld be at least 1 free to air tv station so anyone in the country who can receive tv images on any device can be served by it.

There should be at least 1 fm / am / long wave / short wave radio broadcast channel

This can be very helpful in times of natural disasters.

There should also be online digital radio broadcasts where people can listen again to previously aired material.

And there should be 1 government newspaper which competes directly with newspapers owned by private individuals / privileged elites / etc

All these government channels should carry advertising so they draw less on tax dollars.

Some of the things these stations and publications can do is publish verbatim debates on general everyday policy

and in election times

provide free and equal national coverage to all political parties

Emperordmb
Seeing the amount of blatant propaganda on other public news shows for other countries, no I don't want a dime of taxpayer money going towards funding propaganda.

shiv
Most people actually watch and listen to government programming for its strong entertainment value.

The publicly funded bbc for example is responsible for a ridiculous amount of five star entertainment.

People everywhere in the world are now paying for and buying into Dr Who.

Their Programme Top Gear - For years they had the most entertaining Car Sbow World Wide

Their excellent wide ranging sports coverage.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
If they were a public service who's function was to inform in a non-partisan manner , then perhaps. That isn't what they do though.

Bingo. They moan and groan about the importance of a free press, but rarely reflect on the importance of a press that is free of partisan propaganda.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by shiv
The publicly funded bbc for example is responsible for a ridiculous amount of
Propaganda

Putinbot1
A lot of guys posting here like Russia Today best for its freedom and impartiality. That and tinfoil hat TV on youtube.

Emperordmb
I don't particularly agree with a decent amount of what's being posted here.

Freedom of the press isn't about endorsement of the quality of the press, just like free speech isn't about endorsing hate speech, it's about a principle of liberty to speak.

By that same token, criticizing certain parts of the press or calling them liars or fake news isn't "DESTROYING PRESS FREEDOM REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

shiv
When you have information from many sources.

Propaganda can be very informative.

Emperordmb
Don't want that shit paid for by taxpayer money though.

Putinbot1
Big difference between freedom of the press and freedom of you tuber 6978 tinfoil hatter. But I guess in the US he is protected by freedom of speech.

Surtur
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Big difference between freedom of the press and freedom of you tuber 6978 tinfoil hatter. But I guess in the IS he is protected by freedom of speech.

We get it, youtubers make you salty.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Surtur
We get it, youtubers make you salty. No, they amaze me that they are such a good propaganda tool. It's cringeworthy tbh.

Surtur
No, they amaze me that they are such a good propaganda tool. It's cringeworthy tbh.

Lol@ you whining over youtubers being propaganda tools when mainstream media are much larger propaganda tools.

Putinbot1
Lol@ you whining over youtubers being propaganda tools when mainstream media are much larger propaganda tools. You are such a Trumper lol.

Surtur
You are such a Trumper lol.

Do you deny the MSM are propaganda tools? Say it. I want you to own it, use your pudgy fingers to type out "The MSM are not propaganda tools".

Putinbot1
Do you deny the MSM are propaganda tools? Say it. I want you to own it, use your pudgy fingers to type out "The MSM are not propaganda tools". you tiny little gimp virgin. Haha. You are a Trumper in every sense except you repulse women. Donnie would not be impressed.

Surtur
you tiny little gimp virgin. Haha. You are a Trumper in every sense except you repulse women. Donnie would not be impressed.

^So pudgy and salty.

Emperordmb
We get it, youtubers make you salty.
Not as salty as they make the MSM.

The MSM is so salty they constantly attack someone as innocuous as Pewdiepie because they live in a dying industry.

Putinbot1
^So pudgy and salty. lift your bodyweight, oh, you can't.

Get a girlfriend, oh, you can't

Get a job, oh, you can't.

What a loser you are.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Emperordmb

The MSM is so salty they constantly attack someone as innocuous as Pewdiepie because they live in a dying industry.

Who?

Surtur

True, but they still make b*tch t*ts super salty nonetheless.

Putinbot1
True, but they still make b*tch t*ts super salty nonetheless. you'll never have kids lol.

dadudemon
lift your bodyweight, oh, you can't.

Get a girlfriend, oh, you can't

Get a job, oh, you can't.

What a loser you are.

By your standards of quality, I am at the least "not a loser."

Today, I feel proud. I get Whirly's seal of "not a loser" approval.

Now that's freedom of the press - bench, shoulder, and leg.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
By your standards of quality, I am at the least "not a loser."

Today, I feel proud. I get Whirly's seal of "not a loser" approval.

Now that's freedom of the press - bench, shoulder, and leg. you also have at least two degrees and I suspect from decent colleges. We may not see eye to eye always but I would never define you as a loser.

dadudemon
you also have at least two degrees and I suspect from decent colleges. We may not see eye to eye always but I would never define you as a loser.

thumb up

So Surtur should just checkoff those 3 things on your list and you'll stop giving him so much shit?

Surtur, do you need Whirly's seal of "not-a-loser" approval?

I don't know if you have a degree but I know you have a job. Just get a degree and a job and you won't be a loser anymore by Whirly's standards.

Putinbot1
thumb up

So Surtur should just checkoff those 3 things on your list and you'll stop giving him so much shit?

Surtur, do you need Whirly's seal of "not-a-loser" approval?

I don't know if you have a degree but I know you have a job. Just get a degree and a job and you won't be a loser anymore by Whirly's standards. He also needs to be able to do a chin, bench his weight. Btw, two degrees minimum gets my respect from good colleges.

That or be over 40 and relatively sane

dadudemon
He also needs to be able to do a chin, bench his weight. Btw, two degrees minimum gets my respect from good colleges.

That or be over 40 and relatively sane

Oh, yes. DeVry probably isn't that well respected and has reputation issues.

My brother in law got his masters from University of Phoenix and people often lump it into the DeVry "degree mils." But I saw some of the work my BIL was doing and it's legit. It was tough and every bit as challenging as the uni I went to (and where I went, it was ranked 3 at the time for my degree path).

So I think University of Phoenix is a good Uni with legit courses and work. Even though it gets a bad rap because of places similar to it like DeVry. HOWEVER...the exact opposite is true for their Humanities programs, according to online reviewers. IT and Engineering: UoP is good. Humanities? Crap and just a degree mill.

But UoP still has reputation problems. I said that to say this: Surt can still get a degree, online, with about 4-5 hours of commitment a day.

Putinbot1
Oh, yes. DeVry probably isn't that well respected and has reputation issues.

My brother in law got his masters from University of Phoenix and people often lump it into the DeVry "degree mils." But I saw some of the work my BIL was doing and it's legit. It was tough and every bit as challenging as the uni I went to (and where I went, it was ranked 3 at the time for my degree path).

So I think University of Phoenix is a good Uni with legit courses and work. Even though it gets a bad rap because of places similar to it like DeVry. HOWEVER...the exact opposite is true for their Humanities programs, according to online reviewers. IT and Engineering: UoP is good. Humanities? Crap and just a degree mill.

But UoP still has reputation problems. I said that to say this: Surt can still get a degree, online, with about 4-5 hours of commitment a day. I'm sure Phoenix would be decent it's a reasonably sized city. I do wonder about online degrees even from good Universities.

dadudemon
I'm sure Phoenix would be decent it's a reasonably sized city. I do wonder about online degrees even from good Universities.

Oh, sorry, man. My bad.

UoP is both a brick and mortar and online university. It has some reputation issues as being similar to Trump University: just trying to recruit people to go to their school but lacking substance.

They have locations all over the US but part of their attraction is the online-only degrees. I think it has little to do with the city of Phoenix Arizona.

Putinbot1
Oh, sorry, man. My bad.

UoP is both a brick and mortar and online university. It has some reputation issues as being similar to Trump University: just trying to recruit people to go to their school but lacking substance.

They have locations all over the US but part of their attraction is the online-only degrees. I think it has little to do with the city of Phoenix Arizona. Online is weird, I don't see how it can be the same tbh. But in the U.K. you even see Universities like Liverpool and Manchester and even my own University of London doing them.

Rockydonovang
Propaganda
I do hope you consider government funded nfl anthems to be propaganda too.

Mindship
Human beings are imperfect; therefore everything we do is imperfect. Regarding the Free Press: it is the worst possible system for the task at hand...

...except for all the other systems.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by cdtm
What does that mean, really?

If it's assumed that the press is a private entity owned by stakeholders, with the purpose of making a profit, and perhaps to push a false narrative to that end, then why should the press have this "freedom" everyone talks about?

There is no such thing as free press in how it was intended.

Media, which is all corporations are funded by their advertisers which are special interests groups.

The NYT was partially owned by a Mexican national for a long time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.