Why are the majority of criminals male?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chuck_Schumer
Why exactly is it (that you personally believe) men are responsible for the majority of crimes, and likewise comprise the overwhelming majority of inmates?

Emperordmb
1. Because men and women differ on average in their psychological traits.

If you took a random man and a random woman and had to guess which one was more temperamentally aggressive and you guessed the man, you'd be right 60% of the time. That doesn't seem like too much of a difference, but when the distribution of men is slightly shifted more towards aggression than the distribution of women, the extreme end of that spectrum is going to be predominantly male. And it's the extreme end of that spectrum that you tend to find violent criminals.

It's also the case that men are psychologically more disagreeable than women on average and that women tend to be more neurotic (sensitive to negative emotion) than men on average. One of the consequences of this is that men and women are differently represented in psychological disorders. Women are overrepresented in anxiety and depression, and men tend to be overrepresented in anti-social disorders, and antisocial behavior also feeds into criminal behavior.

2. Because men typically have significantly more upper body strength than women. I'd imagine men would be more likely to favor their chances in a violent physical altercation inherent to a life of crime, whereas I'd imagine a woman would be a bit more concerned for her physical safety.

DeviantDefiance
You mean the majority of criminals caught. *winky face*

Rockydonovang
I imagine it's a mix of biology combined with millennia worth of historical privilege

Flyattractor
Cause WOMEN AINT GOT THE BALLS FOR IT!

BackFire
Because women are better than men.

Flyattractor
Speak for your self CoChese.

MythLord
Women have experience getting blood off things, so they probably get away with murder more easily.

quanchi112
Originally posted by BackFire
Because women are better than men. Fly has never met a woman yet so you will have to excuse bubble boy.

cdtm
Because when women don't murder. They torture, slowly.

cdtm
Hang on, let me rephrase that:

Because unlike men, a woman won't make you dead. She'll just make you wish you were. *Ba da, dum, ting*

CroftAlice
Bad temper,testosterone

BrolyBlack
Women are generally nicer people.

cdtm
Originally posted by BrolyBlack

You've never met a woman business owner, have you. laughing out loud

They can be every bit as ruthless, believe you me. Seen one particular co-owner of a comic book store demand an 8 year old kid returns his free ball cap, because his mom wanted a refund on a 60 dollar file. The husband thought that went a little too far, and talked her out of it by appealing to emotion, ergo "Come on, Marge, it's a kid for christ sake. Let 'em keep the cap, it means something to him."

samhain
I think it's also a factor that men tend to find it easier to take risks and to generally disconnect from whatever it is they're doing, that's partly why you'll find more men working menial or labour intensive jobs, we can hack it better due to our ability to switch off. This trait is useful for a life of crime IMO.

Surtur
Originally posted by BrolyBlack

Depends on the circumstances. The way women treat other women can be sadistic as f*ck.

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
I think it's also a factor that men tend to find it easier to take risks and to generally disconnect from whatever it is they're doing, that's partly why you'll find more men working menial or labour intensive jobs, we can hack it better due to our ability to switch off. This trait is useful for a life of crime IMO.

A life of crime, or a life as a champion of feminism in your professional life, and a womanizer and harassor in your private life.

It's true, many men rationalize their behavior.

Just like there are many men, that rationalize loyalty to family and friends, but to no one else.

The good side of this, is men tend to live by their own self image. They pigeonhole themselves into their rationalizations, and become predictable thereof.

For my part, I have little respect for those that rationalize everything out of self interest. And have some respect for those that are loyal to them and theirs... Give me a crass, abrasive man that everyone hates, but who takes care of his family, over a smooth talking two faced Ponzi that would leave his wife and kids in the streets any day.

Adam_PoE

BrolyBlack

Surtur

cdtm

Chuck_Schumer
Is it significant that older (middle age and up) males have significantly less contribution to crime - about the same as females?

cdtm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.