Good Kids Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
So I'm trying to compile a collection of films for my son as he grows up (he's only 19 months at the moment). I grew up on Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Bambi, Land Before Time, etc.. so I do hope to get those for him at some point, but...

Those of you with kids, what are some good recommendations that your kids like? (preferably films that are also enjoyable for adults). Please post YouTube trailers if you can find them.

Here's most of the ones I've collected so far...

Megamind
Turbo
How to Train Your Dragon 1
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Dr. Suess' Horton Hears a Who!
Despicable Me 1
Despicable Me 2
Rio
Monsters vs Aliens
Ice Age
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Ice Age: Continental Drift
(The 5th Ice Age looks awful)
Secret Life of Pets
Kung Fu Panda
Finding Nemo
Tangled
The Croods

Some of which I've seen and like, many I have not seen yet, though.

I saw the trailer for Robots and it doesn't look good, so f#ck that one.

Patient_Leech
Hellraiser?

A Clockwork Orange, maybe?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, perhaps?

Jk, thought I'd beat the smart-asses to the punch.

riv6672
WATERSHIP DOWN

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
WATERSHIP DOWN

Ah, thanks. I forgot about that one. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Isn't it really sad?

steverules_2
Show your kids 'the ring', they'll never go near the TV again smile

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by steverules_2
Show your kids 'the ring', they'll never go near the TV again smile

laughing out loud thumb up

Poltergeist, too perhaps?

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Isn't it really sad?
Its pretty gory, but cool.

jaden_2.0
A Serbian Film.

Inhuman
A very good recent kids movie I saw was Isle of Dogs.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
A Serbian Film.

Ha, f#ck you. I already beat you to it.

Originally posted by Inhuman
A very good recent kids movie I saw was Isle of Dogs.

Cool thanks. But doesn't it have a bunch of sickly, ugly dogs? Would kids actually like it? Do you have documented evidence of it? lol

Inhuman
Cool thanks. But doesn't it have a bunch of sickly, ugly dogs? Would kids actually like it? Do you have documented evidence of it? lol

I started watching it not expecting much. Was indifferent and didnt know what it was about. I was surprised how good it was. The art style and animation is unique and adds to the charm. As far as will kids enjoy it, I dont think younger kids will enjoy it as much as older kids and adults would. Has a few adult themes maybe not suitable for younger kids.

Patient_Leech
Fair enough. Yeah, I've heard good things about it. Thanks for the recommendation. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
laughing out loud thumb up

Poltergeist, too perhaps?

yea but the first one as the rest were shit.. lol

jaden_2.0
The Iron Giant
A Monster Calls

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The Iron Giant
A Monster Calls

Cool, thanks. I've seen both of those and they're good. Probably will need to be a bit older than 2 or 3 years old for those, though.

Flyattractor
WATERSHIP DOWN

Isn't it really sad?

Its pretty gory, but cool.

ohh Another One to just Plop the Twerps down in front of and then just Leave the Room and Pray for the Best!!!!!

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAxODU3NTMzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODMwNzEyMQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Cause Its a Friendly Kitty Cat Movie!

Hee Hee!

John Murdoch
My girl is 4-1/2 and my boy turns 2 on February 18, Leech, so I can vouch for the picks of Megamind, Secret Life of Pets, Monsters vs Aliens, Tangled, and the Despicable Me movies (DM 3 is actually the first movie my daughter watched in the theater; she has sat through Incredibles 2 and Ralph Wrecks the Internet since then).

About to leave work, but these picks a more mainstream and might be better for when he's a bit older:
- Kubo and the Two Strings (incredible animation techniques used here)
- Ferdinand
- Sing!
- Incredibles 1 & 2
- Beauty and the Beast 2017

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by John Murdoch
My girl is 4-1/2 and my boy turns 2 on February 18, Leech, so I can vouch for the picks of Megamind, Secret Life of Pets, Monsters vs Aliens, Tangled, and the Despicable Me movies (DM 3 is actually the first movie my daughter watched in the theater; she has sat through Incredibles 2 and Ralph Wrecks the Internet since then).

About to leave work, but these picks a more mainstream and might be better for when he's a bit older:
- Kubo and the Two Strings (incredible animation techniques used here)
- Ferdinand
- Sing!
- Incredibles 1 & 2
- Beauty and the Beast 2017

Thanks! I've heard of most of those, haven't seen many of them, though. I think I tried to watch Incredibles 1 and wasn't really into it, probably fell asleep before the end. My wife and i tried to watch that Beauty and the Bestiality (lol) musical and even my wife didn't like it. We turned if off after about 10 to 15 minutes.. haha. The musical nature of it was just very artificial and annoying to both of us. It was never one that I grew up on anyway.

I really like Despicable Me 1, Tangled, and I popped in some of Monsters vs Aliens the other day and it seemed amusing, so they shouldn't be torture to watch with my son when he's older. thumb up

Bentley
Gundam OVAs

Insane Titan
UP

Impediment
Being a dad, I've seen most of these films.

The first Ice Age is amazing and I love it. The rest were god awful.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment
Being a dad, I've seen most of these films.

The first Ice Age is amazing and I love it. The rest were god awful.

I've only seen Dawn of the Dinosaurs so far and I actually enjoyed it. It's imaginative and fun. My son even laughed out loud at a couple parts which was awesome. laughing out loud

I look forward to seeing the others. The 5th one looks awful, though, Collision Course. Jesus it looks bad, and it has the worst reviews, too.

Patient_Leech
I just ordered The Lorax pretty cheap. It looks fun...

dNMBVVdrMKo

Also, does anyone know if Epic (2013) is any good?

cdtm
The Dark Crystal is something every kid should enjoy, while he's young enough to not laugh at the schlockyness.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by cdtm
The Dark Crystal is something every kid should enjoy, while he's young enough to not laugh at the schlockyness.

I've actually never seen that all the way through before, either. Shame on me.

I've also never seen The Neverending Story...

Flyattractor
The Dark Crystal kind of runs the line between good Kids Movie and Nightmare Fuel.

Lord Lucien
The Secret of NIMH. Make your kids great again.

Esau Cairn
Have you watched any of the Studio Ghibli collection?

Spirited Away.
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Caslte

No offence to the movies you've collected so far...it's just they all seem to follow the same feel-good formula after a while...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

Spirited Away.
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Caslte

No offence to the movies you've collected so far...it's just they all seem to follow the same feel-good formula after a while...

I've not seen those, no. But my son is only 19 months old. So they'll probably need to be pretty quickly paced and brightly colored right now to keep his interest.

But I'll look into those. Thanks.

I just re-watched The Land Before Time. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. (I'm actually surprised I was allowed to watch it even then, because of its anti-Fundy Judeo-Christian premise). But anyway, I do remember it vaguely. Watching it now it holds up some, but the animation and facial expressions are nothing like what they do now with computer animation. But I did enjoy the old-school animation. The story is also pretty thin, but it still worked for the film.

cdtm
Originally posted by Flyattractor
The Dark Crystal kind of runs the line between good Kids Movie and Nightmare Fuel.

I saw Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid. Seen this one movie where Santa massacres a kids family, who goes to a strict catholic orphanage, and becomes an axe wielding santa saying "Naughty! Naughty! You've been naughty!" Final scene is Mother Superior sitting in the dark, a young nun approaching her, and her head falls off

Compared to that, Dark Crystal is just a bit of a rollar coaster thrill ride.. And i mean, depending on the kid and the age, a little nightmare fuel could be fun, in small doses. That's when you really appreciate the stuff.

Patient_Leech
That explains a lot about you, cdtm. Haha..

I saw Aliens as a kid, and that explains a lot about my fascination with horror and sci-fi now. All I remember from the time is the dream sequence of the chest burster trying to come out of Ripley's stomach.

carthage
Coco
Into the Spiderverse
The Iron Giant
My Neighbor Totoro

John Murdoch

Spirited Away.
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Caslte

Ditto to this. Anything with Mayazaki is great. Don't know if it would hold a little one's attention tho.

John Murdoch
Thanks! I've heard of most of those, haven't seen many of them, though. I think I tried to watch Incredibles 1 and wasn't really into it, probably fell asleep before the end. My wife and i tried to watch that Beauty and the Bestiality (lol) musical and even my wife didn't like it. We turned if off after about 10 to 15 minutes.. haha. The musical nature of it was just very artificial and annoying to both of us. It was never one that I grew up on anyway.

I really like Despicable Me 1, Tangled, and I popped in some of Monsters vs Aliens the other day and it seemed amusing, so they shouldn't be torture to watch with my son when he's older. thumb up

Cool man. Ya, if you didn't like Incredibles 1, Incredibles 2 is pretty identical plot-wise, so it may not be up your alley. Also, 2 has a couple of curse words in it; just a disclaimer.

Beauty in the Beast 2017 is not near as good as Disney's OG 1991 animated feature film, and yes it is hollow and soulless as they come, but I've grown to enjoy more as my daughter (and son by default haha) watched it around 200-300 times on Netflix. Really didn't like it the first time I saw it.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by cdtm
I saw Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid. Seen this one movie where Santa massacres a kids family, who goes to a strict catholic orphanage, and becomes an axe wielding santa saying "Naughty! Naughty! You've been naughty!" Final scene is Mother Superior sitting in the dark, a young nun approaching her, and her head falls off

That explains a lot about you, cdtm. Haha..

So true. SO TRUE!

HumbleServant
Movies for Good Kids.
Or
Good movies for Kids.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Ditto to this. Anything with Mayazaki is great. Don't know if it would hold a little one's attention tho.

Yeah not talking about showing these to an infant.

Some of my fondest memories were introducing these films to my daughter when she was about 7 yrs old.

Kazenji
Good to see Princess Mononoke not included as Its the more violent one out of the Mayazaki films.

John Murdoch
Yeah not talking about showing these to an infant.

Some of my fondest memories were introducing these films to my daughter when she was about 7 yrs old.

Gotcha. thumb up thumb up

My third grade class in elementary school watched My Neighbor Totoro, so that age range is good to go. What a classic.

heathjack
my pick
computer cartoons
rise of the guardians
free birds
monsters vs aliens
monster house
peabody & sherman
ALPha & omega
the shrek trilogy
Rio 1 & rio 2
epic & ferngully

family movies
for chrsitmas movies i recommend home alone & the tim aLLEN'S THE Santa clause trilogy
the never ending story might be little bit scary but he might liked it when there older!!
i also roecmmend dairy of an wimpy kid!!i know there pretty popular kids
serise!!
you might want to check out the spy kids movie series!! i never liked them but i did liked the last one good bit!!
space jam staring micheal jordan it was an basked ball movie that start micheal jordan & the loony toons!!
i also roecmmend some of robin williams movies liked hook RV Mrs doubt fire & old dogs! all are good clean family movies
the Jumia movies the original jumia movie staring robin williams & the newer one staring the rock!!
if you can find them earnest movies!! there really clean & funny!! mostly rated PG for slap stick comedy !! most of them are dvd but earnest goes to camp ernest goes to jail & earnest scared stupid are on blu ray!! might be little too young for earnest scared stupid its an halloween movie!!
percy Jackson's might be little too young but might liked it when hes an lot older he probably liked them!!
the night at the museum trilogy
Alvin & the chipmunks trilogy
are we there yet? 1 &2
nanny mcphee 1 & 2
cheaper by the dozen 1 & 2
parental guidance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.