At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
I kind of think my generation sucks.

Within 5/10 years of me, I can think of a ton of people who:

1. Gave up good jobs for really.trivial reasons, when they weren't working (And some still aren't)

2. Break off marriages for the stupidest of reasons. Say, because the wife nagged them over spending a night together, instead of playing video games (I sincerely wish I was making that up.

3. If a relative is in need, can be counted on to ship you off to a home at best. And then wash their hands of you.

The older generations had their problems, but at least the golden oldies and older boomers did right by their families, and could roll with the punch's. A lot of the younger one's (e.g. mine) really do seem like "man/woman children" by comparison.

Lord Lucien
Anecdotes>data. Feelings>facts.

*curmudgeon

Bashar Teg
*carmageddon

Lord Lucien
*cars4:carharder

cdtm
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Anecdotes>data. Feelings>facts.

*curmudgeon

Bah.

Nah, totally justified criticism. I expected that going into this.

Still think I'm totally, completely right about it. I just can't see many people spending 60+ years together anymore, especially if things turn south. Much less going the extra mile caring for their ailing folks, looking after their worthless kids, just rolling with the significant others nagging and all the crap at work, giving up vacation time, just dealing with what life throws at you without being a total dick about it..

Everyone's entitled now, everyone thinks they're the star of their own little show, and everyone talks about how bad everyone else is, yet would never put themselves out on someone else's behalf, ever.

And yeah, that's a broad brush I'm painting with, and yeah there's plenty of other examples to say different.

Lord Lucien
In a world of rapidly changing technology and social norms, and a very near future beset with all the advantages and challenges that extended life, AI, and automation brings, it might be worth considering if the norms of the past humans are worthy of preserving in a world of upgraded humans. A "lifetime" of marriage used to mean 60 years if you were extremely fortunate. Now it's expected. Soon it won't be considered a lifetime. Long-lived humans with exceptional health aren't as likely to value "lifelong" pairings if "lifelong" is measured in centuries. Or millennia. Boredom and passe will still be a thing.

Also, all of recorded history features an older generation complaining about their successors, and retrophiles in rose-tinted glasses bemoaning a fading, superior past. It's a very old cliche.

BrolyBlack
Shut up carver

Tzeentch
Originally posted by cdtm
I kind of think my generation sucks. You are only about the 9 billionth person or so in human history to think that.

dadudemon
You make great points and I think the same of millennials. They just suck.

Too many SJWs. Too many stupid "liberal" beliefs about relationships. And think that we need a hefty hefty "work-life" balance which basically means letting them take off work on a Wednesday because they got drunk Tuesday and have a hangover and want to sleep all day.

I don't like millenials, in general. Just a shitty generation.

Jessica Tandy

Trump God
Originally posted by dadudemon

Too many SJWs. Too many stupid "liberal" beliefs about relationships. And think that we need a hefty hefty "work-life" balance which basically means letting them take off work on a Wednesday because they got drunk Tuesday and have a hangover and want to sleep all day.

I don't like millenials, in general. Just a shitty generation. This is right. Thank you, remember to vote Trump again and support him.

Bentley
I have no practical sense of how to live life but your generation makes me look great. Keep that up

Putinbot1
All people under the age of 40 are lazy and stupid. Cdtm is correct.

CroftAlice
Splendid,a new word added in the dictionary

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
I kind of think my generation sucks.

Within 5/10 years of me, I can think of a ton of people who:

1. Gave up good jobs for really.trivial reasons, when they weren't working (And some still aren't)

2. Break off marriages for the stupidest of reasons. Say, because the wife nagged them over spending a night together, instead of playing video games (I sincerely wish I was making that up.

3. If a relative is in need, can be counted on to ship you off to a home at best. And then wash their hands of you.

The older generations had their problems, but at least the golden oldies and older boomers did right by their families, and could roll with the punch's. A lot of the younger one's (e.g. mine) really do seem like "man/woman children" by comparison.

For #2 I think this has to do with people who get married way too soon. If you're ending a marriage for silly reasons you were never ready for it in the first place. A couple should at least live together for a few years before they decide to get married.

As for relatives, that depends on the situation. Sometimes a relative might need care you just can't give. Though I think if you have room in your home and have the money to take care of them...doing so is preferable to a nursing home.

I'd honestly rather die than be placed in a nursing home.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon

I don't like millenials, in general. Just a shitty generation. Originally posted by Putinbot1
All people under the age of 40 are lazy and stupid. Cdtm is correct.

Lolz

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.