Weakest character who can replicate this feat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
Alara Kitan's titanium crushing feat:

https://giant.gfycat.com/IncompleteGloomyHound.webm

https://giant.gfycat.com/LonePassionateHalicore.webm

Round 1:

Simply have to replicate the feat. Doesn't have to be as casual.

Round 2:

Replicate the feat with the same casual ease she performs it.

riv6672

h1a8
That's a good feat. Did she use strength to achieve that? And what show was that?

Magneto may be the weakness (physical strength) to do it.
Nam can physically do it but I'm not sure if he's the weakest.

TheVaultDweller
It's strength. She comes from a planet that has gravity far higher than Earth, and her species have evolved to survive under those conditions, resulting in superhuman strength and toughness. The gravity is so great that a regular human would be instantly crushed if exposed to it.

Unfortunately, this is the only link to a clip I could find (well, at least a relatively good quality one):

https://www.facebook.com/TheOrville/videos/2241634269451632/

TheVaultDweller
lol didn't even notice it was basically a different link to the same clip riv posted in another thread. Oh well, no harm done.

riv6672
This is a tough wuestion (for me). Magneto doesn't really count imo, and while can see characters doing it, to pick the -weakest- is hard!

h1a8
You you mean crush the titanium by physical strength or by any means as long as it is in one's power set?

TheVaultDweller
Perform the feat via physical strength. Round 1 is just managing it via physical strength. Round 2 is managing it via physical strength as easily as she did.

Putinbot1
Thor or Wonderwoman

Inhuman
Maybe Drax or Loki

BruceSkywalker
stopped watching the orville, but might go back to watching..

im geussing thor, diana, loki, stark, maybe holland spidey can

Silent Master
h1, didn't you know he used to work as a metal crusher. it's how he paid for his MMA classes.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Alara Kitan's titanium crushing feat:

https://giant.gfycat.com/IncompleteGloomyHound.webm

https://giant.gfycat.com/LonePassionateHalicore.webm

Round 1:

Simply have to replicate the feat. Doesn't have to be as casual.

Round 2:

Replicate the feat with the same casual ease she performs it.

The problem here is that there are no real feats on 'hand' strength.

I would say:

R1: Iron Man
R2: Iron Man with a stronger suit laughing out loud

h1a8
It takes a more than 200 tons of pressure to compress that block of titanium with the cross sectional area of the hand.

riv6672

h1a8
Perform the feat via physical strength. Round 1 is just managing it via physical strength. Round 2 is managing it via physical strength as easily as she did.
Lets say crush titanium and not form it into a perfect sphere since that is cartoon logic.
Then
Round 1: Thor, Hulk, Superman, Supergirl, Thanos, Kurse, Hela, Nam ek, Zod, and Faora.

Round 2: Superman, Nam ek, and Supergirl, Thanos using power gem.

WW and below are not strong enough to achieve round 1.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by h1a8
Lets say crush titanium and not form it into a perfect sphere since that is cartoon logic.
Then
Round 1: Thor, Hulk, Superman, Supergirl, Thanos, Kurse, Hela, Nam ek, Zod, and Faora.

Round 2: Superman, Nam ek, and Supergirl, Thanos using power gem.

WW and below are not strong enough to achieve round 1.

Thanos broke the Tesseract my dear

Tesseract>> Some miserable block of titanium.

Josh_Alexander
It takes a more than 200 tons of pressure to compress that block of titanium with the cross sectional area of the hand.

...... Compressing and deforming aren't the same thing.

riv6672
And weakest means weakest.
Thor, Hulk, Superman, Supergirl, Thanos, Kurse, Hela, Nam ek, Zod, and Faora shouldn't be anywhere near this conversation...

...unless Seth McFarlane under the radar created a character as strong as some of the strongest characters ever put in a movie.

So which is it PPL?

NemeBro
Well let's see, titanium has an ultimate tensile strength of 434 MPa. Not super sure how to convert pressure to force, but if I put shit into the calculator correctly then crushing and manipulating the whole cube (which looked to be a six inches on each side) would take about 189 short tons of force.

Calc I used:

https://www.sensorsone.com/pressure-and-area-to-force-calculator/

I'm not sure I did this right though.

Anyway, any of the higher end heroes in the MCU or DCEU can replicate that feat based on that, such as Thor, Hulk, Superman, and likely Diana as well.

But I'm really not sure how to translate crushing strength feats to lifting or punching, so I could be wildly wrong here.

Tzeentch
You ****ed up your math.

Nevan
Thanos caved in Vision's head and crushed the Tesseract with his fingers, so at the very least he can do it.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by NemeBro
Well let's see, titanium has an ultimate tensile strength of 434 MPa. Not super sure how to convert pressure to force, but if I put shit into the calculator correctly then crushing and manipulating the whole cube (which looked to be a six inches on each side) would take about 189 short tons of force.

Calc I used:

I'm not sure I did this right though.

Anyway, any of the higher end heroes in the MCU or DCEU can replicate that feat based on that, such as Thor, Hulk, Superman, and likely Diana as well.

But I'm really not sure how to translate crushing strength feats to lifting or punching, so I could be wildly wrong here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Titanium's tensile strength is of 480MPa

In comparison, IM's Gold-Titanium suit has a tensile strength of 800MPa+

Inhuman
Originally posted by NemeBro
if I put shit into the calculator correctly then crushing and manipulating the whole cube (which looked to be a six inches on each side) would take about 189 short tons of force.

Calc I used:

I used to dunk kids heads into toilets like you and take their soymilk money.

riv6672
SOOO i guess Alara is Thanos, Superman, Hulk level.

Good to know!

Eon Blue

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Nevan
Thanos caved in Vision's head and crushed the Tesseract with his fingers, so at the very least he can do it.

Well, yeah, but Thanos is ridiculously strong, and not exactly the tier of character I had in mind when I made this thread.

riv6672
Well, yeah, but Thanos is ridiculously strong, and not exactly the tier of character I had in mind when I made this thread.
Like i said, weakest means weakest, so considering the names getting thrown around? Alara is damn near trans tier.

BruceSkywalker
What about Danny rand or Jessica Jones?

KingD19
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

What? No. Especially on Danny.

riv6672
No, cant see it.

BruceSkywalker
Can h1 duplicate lol???

How about Mera or Black Manta?

h1a8
Tensile strength is not the same as compressive strength.
A block used for testing (and what was shown in the scene) is about 15cm x 15cm x15cm.

It takes a hydraulic press between 350-400 tons to compress a block of titanium.
Someone using there hands in the manner she did would be pressing with less than 225cm^2 of surface area. Therefore it would take roughly 200 tons of force to achieve the feat.

h1a8

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are possibles for round 1.
Jessica Jones has casually broke huge steel padlocks.
Luke Cage casually bent a steel handgun.

The feats are below compressing a titanium cube but due to the casual nature of how they did it then it's plausible they can pass round 1.

h1a8
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
...... Compressing and deforming aren't the same thing.

It's significantly harder to compress than to pull apart.
Compressive strength is almost always larger than tensile strength for most metals.

Josh_Alexander
It's significantly harder to compress than to pull apart.
Compressive strength is almost always larger than tensile strength for most metals.

I agree. Yet, the feat doesn't concern compression but rather deformation. She turned the cube into a ball, she didn't turned the block into a smaller one.

KingD19
You honestly see Jessica Jones turning a solid(not hollow) cube of pure titanium into a sphere?

cdtm
No way.

Maybe Danny can do it, but not Jessica. thumb down

KingD19
Originally posted by cdtm
No way.

Maybe Danny can do it, but not Jessica. thumb down

And how would Danny do it?

BruceSkywalker
how about the beast from Glass

h1a8
I agree. Yet, the feat doesn't concern compression but rather deformation. She turned the cube into a ball, she didn't turned the block into a smaller one.

The op suggests just to deform the cube, not to shape it to a sphere (that's silly).

Deforming is either compression or pulling apart. There is no other alternative. Compression is needed to perform the feat, not pulling apart.

h1a8
Let's be clear. No one, other than cartoon characters can shape anything into a perfect sphere. If that's the case, then no one can do it.
/thread

riv6672
^^^Alara is stronger than any MCU/DCEU character.

I did not see that coming.

TheVaultDweller
Well, the idea with the OP was a rough spherical shape. A perfect ball shape is obviously an unrealistic expectation. Besides, that part isn't so much strength as it is precision and dexterity anyway, and the question is about strength.

h1a8
Well, the idea with the OP was a rough spherical shape. A perfect ball shape is obviously an unrealistic expectation. Besides, that part isn't so much strength as it is precision and dexterity anyway, and the question is about strength. Well if it can be a plucked up looking sphere (which it will be) then the characters i named can do it.

KingD19
So breaking a steel padlock means Jones can deform a solid cube of titanium?

riv6672
Thanos could break that padlock.

Josh_Alexander
The op suggests just to deform the cube, not to shape it to a sphere (that's silly).

Deforming is either compression or pulling apart. There is no other alternative. Compression is needed to perform the feat, not pulling apart.

Then tensile strength does apply.

Remember that compresing a side results in the other sides expanding. That's why I said it is deforming, isn't like the whole cube is being compressed.

If you add a compressive force to a cross section, the perpendicular cross section receives a tensile force.

Example:

If you fill a ballon with water and squeeze it, the ballon will deform. You know that water cannot be compressed. Samething happens with the Titanium block, it is deforming not compressing.

h1a8
Then tensile strength does apply.

Remember that compresing a side results in the other sides expanding. That's why I said it is deforming, isn't like the whole cube is being compressed.

If you add a compressive force to a cross section, the perpendicular cross section receives a tensile force.

Example:

If you fill a ballon with water and squeeze it, the ballon will deform. You know that water cannot be compressed. Samething happens with the Titanium block, it is deforming not compressing.

Wrong! Stop making up Pseudo science.
Compression tests always results in the cross sectional area getter larger, but no pulling forces are acting. It takes about twice the force to compress titanium than to pull it apart. They are NOT EQUALS. To test tensile strength, a thin strip of the material is pulled with an increasing force until it elongates and snaps. Then the final force is divided by the strip's cross sectional area to find the tensile strength

And matter can be compressed to reduce its total volume and increase its density, even water.

KingD19
H1 saying stop making up false science. Oh the irony.

riv6672
LOL!!!

Josh_Alexander
Wrong! Stop making up Pseudo science.
Compression tests always results in the cross sectional area getter larger, but no pulling forces are acting. It takes about twice the force to compress titanium than to pull it apart. They are NOT EQUALS. To test tensile strength, a thin strip of the material is pulled with an increasing force until it elongates and snaps. Then the final force is divided by the strip's cross sectional area to find the tensile strength

And matter can be compressed to reduce its total volume and increase its density, even water.

You are right, I made a mistake in regards to the forces. I must admit it's been a long time since I studied stresses in materials.

riv6672
Uh...huh

cdtm
I want to see h1 and Josh bz.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.