What is Toxic Masculinity?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SquallX
This word has been thrown out so much in the last few yrs, just like the word racist, sexist, etc to me has now lost its meaning.

Can anyone here give a real in-depth description of toxic masculinity?

snowdragon
Originally posted by SquallX
This word has been thrown out so much in the last few yrs, just like the word racist, sexist, etc to me has now lost its meaning.

How about the best example I can think of would be Andrew Dice Clay from the '80s and '90s. Don't get me wrong I thought he was hilarious back then but if we were to drop that guy into our modern age, crash and burn.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by snowdragon
How about the best example I can think of would be Andrew Dice Clay from the '80s and '90s. Don't get me wrong I thought he was hilarious back then but if we were to drop that guy into our modern age, crash and burn.
That's a pretty good example.

Don't know if there's a textbook definition of it, but domineering, abrasive, and obnoxious seem to fit every example I've seen. The Dice Man personifies that. In short, toxic masculinity is being a douche to others.

SquallX

Eternal Idol

Bashar Teg
i see toxic masculinity is a refusal or inability to give up one's maladjusted juvenile mob-rules mentality. "i'm right because my bros say so", which applies to everything from assault, rape, murder, gang violence, nazis, etc. it all starts from childhood. it all begins with the 'lord of the flies' phenomenon of unchecked power given to the young. i believe this is an example of toxic masculinity in it's purest simplest form:

5FogNIr2x40

i don't believe that any of these kids are inherently evil, any more than king joffrey was. their minds were warped and twisted to a point where, in this video, they all feel 100% justified in mocking and mob-menacing senior citizens, as they likely would have if they chose to tear him into pieces.

Raptor22

Emperordmb
WdzWpoNSSjU

cdtm
Use the quick quote for unquotables.

dadudemon
Originally posted by cdtm
Use the quick quote for unquotables.

And quickquote has the post ID. Quote someone else's post that you can quote, replace the name and post ID, and replace the post content. Then do the standard editing thing where you copy and past the forum tags if you wish to address specific points.

This step adds about 15-30 seconds to responding so it can get annoying if you are trying to respond to a short post. Just quick quote. But if you are going to be responding to an in depth post, just spending the extra time responding and follow my directions.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by dadudemon
And quickquote has the post ID. Quote someone else's post that you can quote, replace the name and post ID, and replace the post content. Then do the standard editing thing where you copy and past the forum tags if you wish to address specific points.

This step adds about 15-30 seconds to responding so it can get annoying if you are trying to respond to a short post. Just quick quote. But if you are going to be responding to an in depth post, just spending the extra time responding and follow my directions.

Clearly this is mansplaining and thus toxic masculinity.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Clearly this is mansplaining and thus toxic masculinity.

What would the SJW reaction be if a gay man told his passive gay lover to shutup and go make him a sandwich?

jaden_2.0
What would the SJW reaction be if a gay man told his passive gay lover to shutup and go make him a sandwich?

A philosophical question of the modern age.

dadudemon
A philosophical question of the modern age.

Shutup and go make me a sandwich.

jaden_2.0
Oh honey those carbs will go straight to your hips.

dadudemon
Oh honey those carbs will go straight to your hips.

lol

The best

StyleTime

I think it helps to have a conversation about it, rather than just spit out a google'd definition.

But, it's supposed to refer to the regressive, restrictive, and socially destructive behavioral expectations placed upon males. It was partially an attempt, often by feminists believe it or not, to highlight the ways in which men are harmed by gender norms.

The problem is, as the idea spread from academia to the average person, people misunderstood it. Toxic masculinity isn't the same concept as masculinity. Toxic masculinity is anti-male just as much as it is anti-female.

Masculinity isn't the same the thing. Might have helped to come up with a different name, but that's what stuck.
My guess?

They are recreating heteronormative ideas about romantic partnerships.

dadudemon
Originally posted by StyleTime
My guess?

They are recreating heteronormative ideas about romantic partnerships.

Would you shit yourself to know that this was almost word for word why my SJW friend said when I asked him the same?

His wording was something like, "They are copying toxic heteronormative stereotypes from heterosexual couples. Probably as a joke."

SquallX

Surtur
It's something fruitcake leftists came up with.

Emperordmb
YAY welcome back Surtur

Adam_PoE

That is not really how gay relationships work.

A good example would be from a Grindr profile I recently read:

"Men basically have two feelings: hungry and horny. So if I don't see you with an erection, I'll make you a sandwich."

That is how you find and keep a man, amirite?

snowdragon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That is not really how gay relationships work.

A good example would be from a Grindr profile I recently read:

"Men basically have two feelings: hungry and horny. So if I don't see you with an erection, I'll make you a sandwich."

That is how you find and keep a man, amirite?

Hilariously that is a HUGE part of that nasty toxic masculinity.

Eternal Idol
George Carlin had an interesting bit about the stupid shit lots of men are guilty of doing, well before these types of attitudes and behaviors became known as toxic masculinity.

s7ijrnuZk-A

Putinbot1
Pretty much everything EI, Raptor and Bash said is toxic masculinity.

MythLord
Toxic Masculinity is essentially just when a male acts in a way that harms other(and perhaps even himself) just to seem "powerful". There is also Toxic Femininity, which I feel is overlooked at times(girls looking down upon other girls because of clothes, makeup, hobbies).

Both essentially take the olden stereotypes of a gender(women are pretty, men are stronk) and try to project their adherence to said stereotype with inherently destructive behaviour. It's bad.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by MythLord

Both essentially take the olden stereotypes of a gender(women are pretty, men are stronk) and try to project their adherence to said stereotype with inherently destructive behaviour

thumb up somewhere gentleman and ladies became bros and hoes

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i see toxic masculinity is a refusal or inability to give up one's maladjusted juvenile mob-rules mentality. "i'm right because my bros say so", which applies to everything from assault, rape, murder, gang violence, nazis, etc. it all starts from childhood. it all begins with the 'lord of the flies' phenomenon of unchecked power given to the young. i believe this is an example of toxic masculinity in it's purest simplest form:

5FogNIr2x40

i don't believe that any of these kids are inherently evil, any more than king joffrey was. their minds were warped and twisted to a point where, in this video, they all feel 100% justified in mocking and mob-menacing senior citizens, as they likely would have if they chose to tear him into pieces.

npX801xLSFY

Surtur
Toxic Masculinity is essentially just when a male acts in a way that harms other(and perhaps even himself) just to seem "powerful". There is also Toxic Femininity, which I feel is overlooked at times(girls looking down upon other girls because of clothes, makeup, hobbies).

Both essentially take the olden stereotypes of a gender(women are pretty, men are stronk) and try to project their adherence to said stereotype with inherently destructive behaviour. It's bad.

Toxic femininity is overlooked.."at times" ? Indeed? Let's explore this a bit shall we. What does this mean? It sounds like you're saying it's only some of the time it gets overlooked, when I'd argue most of the time it either gets overlooked or put under a label other than "toxic femininity".

Do you feel women would be okay with a similar commercial calling out toxic femininity? "Don't gold dig, don't fat shame other women cuz women can be catty and talk shit about each other more than men talk shit about women".

Do you feel they'd embrace such a message?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
thumb up somewhere gentleman and ladies became bros and hoes thumb up

Surtur
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
npX801xLSFY

I was gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he posted this before the narrative fell apart, but nah I looked at the time stamp...it was already falling apart by the time it was posted.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
I was gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he posted this before the narrative fell apart, but nah I looked at the time stamp...it was already falling apart by the time it was posted.
Toxic nativity? Toxic nativeness? Is that a thing?

Surtur
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Toxic nativity? Toxic nativeness? Is that a thing?

Toxic whiteness. It's a killer.

MythLord
Originally posted by Surtur
Toxic femininity is overlooked.."at times" ? Indeed? Let's explore this a bit shall we. What does this mean? It sounds like you're saying it's only some of the time it gets overlooked, when I'd argue most of the time it either gets overlooked or put under a label other than "toxic femininity".

Do you feel women would be okay with a similar commercial calling out toxic femininity? "Don't gold dig, don't fat shame other women cuz women can be catty and talk shit about each other more than men talk shit about women".

Do you feel they'd embrace such a message?
Not sure about gold digging, tbh, but given how much body positivity matters to most current left-leaning female activists, I doubt a commercial where a b!tch gets called out for fat/****/illness shaming would be looked down upon.
I'm sure it'd recieve the same praise this commercial did. The key difference is Toxic Masculinity is more talked about because it has far more people defending it, than Toxic Femininity does.

Surtur
Not sure about gold digging, tbh, but given how much body positivity matters to most current left-leaning female activists, I doubt a commercial where a b!tch gets called out for fat/****/illness shaming would be looked down upon.
I'm sure it'd recieve the same praise this commercial did. The key difference is Toxic Masculinity is more talked about because it has far more people defending it, than Toxic Femininity does.

Well why wouldn't toxic masculinity be talked about more when it's the far more abused term out of the two?

Silent Master

Are you sure the key difference isn't that Toxic Masculinity is more talked about because it has far more people accusing others of it?

The Spectre+

SquallX

The Spectre+

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by snowdragon
Hilariously that is a HUGE part of that nasty toxic masculinity.

There is nothing toxic about two people who want to be ****ed and fed.

Surtur
Canadians make really good sandwiches.

StyleTime

cdtm

Toxic Masculinity is a term that was used in earnest, to discribe men like Harvey Weinstein. Then the media found out it's good clickbait, and hammered that button ever since. Now it makes good ads.

Pretty much the life cycle of social justice issues.

samhain
The key difference is Toxic Masculinity is more talked about because it has far more people defending it, than Toxic Femininity does.

Might that be because you don't have to defend what you deny exists in the first place?

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
Toxic Masculinity is a term that was used in earnest, to discribe men like Harvey Weinstein. Then the media found out it's good clickbait, and hammered that button ever since. Now it makes good ads.

Pretty much the life cycle of social justice issues.

The term toxic masculinity didn't surface merely over Harvey Weinstein, it's been a thing before then. This is from 2015:

https://www.salon.com/2015/06/12/ toxic_masculinity_is_killing_men_the_roots_of_male
_trauma_partner/

Sure toxic masculinity WOULD apply to him. The issue is a lot of people are not bright enough to use the term properly, it's why Gillette should have never uttered the phrase in their commercial.

And as I said before, women would throw a fit if they made an ad calling out toxic female behavior like gold digging. Especially if they acted like it's not merely up to a woman not to be a gold digger, it's up to her to police other would-be gold diggers.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by StyleTime
I've heard the argument that gay/lesbian sex is often plagued by "harmful" heteronormative ideas about what it means to get down and dirty too.

More like straight people cannot conceive of any system outside their own, and project heteronormative ideas about sex and relationships onto LGB people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.