Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
Today the people of my country celebrate an important man in our history, a wise man, a brave man, judged to be righteous for the quality of his character and for his impact on the history of our nation.

MLK was a visionary, one who dreamed of a future in which we are not judged by the color of our skin, but by the quality of our character. This value of individualism, of treating people as the individuals they choose to be rather than by what they were born as, is one of my most important values religiously, morally, and politically.

The idea that each person is made in the image of God, endowed by their creator with inalienable rights, is the founding promise upon which my nation and its legal structure were founded. Yet this promise went unfulfilled to large numbers of Americans for a long time, and this great man that we celebrate today is one of the people responsible for believing in that promise, for ensuring that that promise was better fulfilled, better embodied, extended to all as a universal.

We are not the people born the same color as us, we are not our ancestors, we are not faceless and nameless in a crowd, but individuals, each with our own names and faces, each with our own strengths and weaknesses, each with our own virtues and sins, each with our own innocence and guilt, each with our own values and actions, each of us defined by who we choose to be through our words and deeds.

The issue MLK spoke to was far deeper than a political issue, it was in fact a religious issue. Not merely a question of policy, but a question of first principle around which policy is built.

Since the day of MLK we have made great and mighty strides in the fulfillment of the promise, the realization of the dream, and yet, there are people from many groups and many sides who work against this principle, who act against this principle, and so we should all take a moment to reflect upon this pivotal point in our history, lest we forget the wisdom of this great man to our own peril and the peril of others.

Happy MLK day everyone.

victreebelvictr
Wonderful speech. :3

Surtur
He had his faults like everyone, but I feel he was a great man.

I don't know if this is something you wanna discuss, but there is the recent news of the King family demanding a probe into his murder. The Kennedy's are also demanding probes into RFK's murder.

King's family has come out and said the guy they say killed him is not guilty, they don't believe he did it.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Surtur

I don't know if this is something you wanna discuss, but there is the recent news of the King family demanding a probe into his murder. The Kennedy's are also demanding probes into RFK's murder.

King's family has come out and said the guy they say killed him is not guilty, they don't believe he did it. Interesting... :3

Surtur
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
Interesting... :3

IMO he was not killed over anything to do with civil rights. He wasn't killed until he started coming out against the Vietnam war.

Raptor22
Well said

BrolyBlack
Are corporations and businesses that consider them social progressives hypocrites for being open on this holiday?

Flyattractor
More like Why do Postal Workers and Bankers get the day off?

Putinbot1
King was a great man. It's sad the minds of racists have changed so little.

Raptor22
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Are corporations and businesses that consider them social progressives hypocrites for being open on this holiday? are businesses that support america hypocrites for being open on the 4th of july?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Raptor22
are businesses that support america hypocrites for being open on the 4th of july? thumb up

samhain
Originally posted by Surtur

King's family has come out and said the guy they say killed him is not guilty, they don't believe he did it.

The King family won a civil case against the US government in the 90's but apparently the whole case was a farce, the King family were only awarded $100 and the government didn't even send anybody to represent them at the hearing. The whole thing was most likely a stunt to facilitate some member of his family entering the political arena.

Not saying the government didn't whack him like.

And yes, a great man indeed. A visionary taken from us too soon, like the rest of them.

SquallX
Originally posted by Putinbot1

You must be high if you actually believe that.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Putinbot1

Give the far left a few more years, they're trying.

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
Give the far left a few more years, they're trying.

laughing

Surtur
Speaking After MLK Jr. - Key & Peele

qcbO5Mvoo6E

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.