Oscars 2019

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Black Panther get's a Best Pic nom and First Man doesn't? Something is wrong with this world...

Full list...

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

jaden_2.0
Green Book will probably win.

Best actor will go to Bale even though it should be Malek.

Actress will be Olivia Colman even though she's shite.

playa1258
I would put the Favorite and Roma over Green Book.

Bale for actor I agree with.

BruceSkywalker
Green Book for best picture

although haven't watched Roma yet until next week

ares834
Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody... The academy has ****in lost it.

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more. And Bohemian Rhapsody was downright bad.

Flyattractor
The Only OSCAR that Matters!!!!!!!

rmPRHJd3uHI

....well this one matters too...

https://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/065/957/dca.jpg

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ares834

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more.

Was way above average.

And a far superior film to the nominations we usually get.

In My Opinion of course.

Senor Cage
BP was solid, but nothing special. Glad it got many nominations, though.

Tzeentch
Couldn't care less, I hate how political this shit is now. BP isn't even close to being a contender for best picture.

The worst thing about it's shitty, token nomination, is that there actually were black films this year that are good enough to compete for best picture. KKKlansmen was great, I didn't like the message of Sorry to Bother You but the acting and directing were great. Green Book isn't in the same tier as those two but it had great performances from the leads. Like, there are actual good films starring or made by PoC that can stand on their own merits rather then relying on populism. This pandering isn't necessary.

If any marvel film this side of the decade deserved an oscar the closest would be Infinity War. That film is an ACTUAL feat for cinema.

Bentley
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Was way above average.

And a far superior film to the nominations we usually get.

In My Opinion of course.

This film wasn't good even in your own opinon ahah

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Tzeentch

If any marvel film this side of the decade deserved an oscar the closest would be Infinity War. That film is an ACTUAL feat for cinema.

Yeah but BP is a 97% on RT compared to IWs 85%. So far better reviewed by critics.

That said, its more curious Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated which has a 62% on RT. Now thats odd.

BP shouldnt be a surprise thought given how Huge the film was, and given the reviews were almost 100% positive.

Tzeentch
I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death. The Oscars existed 50 YEARS before Rotten Tomatoes did. WHY IN THE F*CK SHOULD ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS? WHY THE F*CK SHOULD MOVIE POPULARITY DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS.

THIS IS NOT THE ****ING NICKELODEON TEEN CHOICE AWARDS. THE OSCARS IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST. THE POINT OF THE OSCARS IS TO HAVE FILMMAKERS OBJECTIVELY CRITIQUE THE QUALITY OF FILM MAKING. CINEMATOGRAPHY. SOUND DESIGN. ACTING. SCREENWRITING. EDITING. SPECIAL EFFECTS. THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE UP A FILM. BEST PICTURE NOMINATIONS SHOULD BE FILMS THAT THE FILMMAKING COMMUNITY THINK ARE THE MOST WELL MADE. POPULARITY, CULTURAL IMPACT AND TICKET SALES SHOULD NOT BE APART OF THAT CRITERIA.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by playa1258
I would put the Favorite and Roma over Green Book.

Bale for actor I agree with.

Nah. The academy might be ready to nominate Netflix entries but not to have them win just yet.

NemeBro
Couldn't care less You sure? It sounds like you care quite a bit, judging from your posts.

dadudemon
I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death. The Oscars existed 50 YEARS before Rotten Tomatoes did. WHY IN THE F*CK SHOULD ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS? WHY THE F*CK SHOULD MOVIE POPULARITY DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS.

THIS IS NOT THE ****ING NICKELODEON TEEN CHOICE AWARDS. THE OSCARS IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST. THE POINT OF THE OSCARS IS TO HAVE FILMMAKERS OBJECTIVELY CRITIQUE THE QUALITY OF FILM MAKING. CINEMATOGRAPHY. SOUND DESIGN. ACTING. SCREENWRITING. EDITING. SPECIAL EFFECTS. THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE UP A FILM. BEST PICTURE NOMINATIONS SHOULD BE FILMS THAT THE FILMMAKING COMMUNITY THINK ARE THE MOST WELL MADE. POPULARITY, CULTURAL IMPACT AND TICKET SALES SHOULD NOT BE APART OF THAT CRITERIA.

Rotten Tomatoes also has a critics score. Professional film critics. So if the fan rating is not to your taste, then the professional critics might be.

97% from the critics.

100% from the top critics.

That's top critics.

Audience score gave it a 79%.

The Academy, criticized as becoming more and more out of touch with reality, is composed of 8000 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards#Voters

But you could be trolling and faking outrage. I'd trust public critics on Rotten Tomatoes over private organizations like The Academy. I can see their name, who they work for, and their voting history on Rotten Tomatoes. Top Critics, too. private voters, too.

Rotten Tomatoes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Academy.

For me, it's easier to come up with best films by finding all movies that had more than 50 critical reviews from 2018.We'd have to hedge against some critics negative reviews somewhow to include really good films that may not have been received as well as other films that tick all the boxes for critics.

Edit - What Rotten Tomatoes does not do is it does not review some of the technical elements of film making. Which is important. I can see the best film coming from other areas. But more of the technical categories are best from The Academy, still, IMO. I don't always agree but it is usually spot-on.

jaden_2.0
See what we should do is take all the review scores for every film and leave out any above 85/100 as outliers and leave out any below 15/100 as outliers and take all the ones between 15 and 85 and dismiss them as neutral votes then just make up the winners based on whatever the **** who cares loada shite anyway ****in bollocks.

Darth Thor
I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death.

Wow. This really isnt getting to you at all.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
See what we should do is take all the review scores for every film and leave out any above 85/100 as outliers and leave out any below 15/100 as outliers and take all the ones between 15 and 85 and dismiss them as neutral votes then just make up the winners based on whatever the **** who cares loada shite anyway ****in bollocks.

haermm

dadudemon
I'd be okay with a transparent "Academy."

Best Sound should be from a group of sound editors and sound effects pros. For example. And we should see all the voters. I agree with Blaxican that having experts vote on the expert areas is actually meaningful and important. Some schmuck voting for best Sound is not really relevant.

And I just made a case for why a Jury of Peers, as opposed to a Jury of Experts, is a better idea. smile

StiltmanFTW
Wow. This really isnt getting to you at all.

Honestly, I think you just like being choked, so you do it on purpose.

Kinky.

BrolyBlack
Broly will be a nom for 2019

Dr Will Hatch
Couldn't care less, I hate how political this shit is now. BP isn't even close to being a contender for best picture.

The worst thing about it's shitty, token nomination, is that there actually were black films this year that are good enough to compete for best picture. KKKlansmen was great, I didn't like the message of Sorry to Bother You but the acting and directing were great. Green Book isn't in the same tier as those two but it had great performances from the leads. Like, there are actual good films starring or made by PoC that can stand on their own merits rather then relying on populism. This pandering isn't necessary.

I really liked Infinity War, but it's nowhere close to as well made as Black Panther was. Infinity War was fanservice. Excellent, well made fanservice, but fanservice nonetheless. Black Panther was a Titanic level cultural juggernaut.

BrolyBlack
Infinity War was a far better movie than BP.

ares834
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Black Panther was a Titanic level cultural juggernaut.

The hell?

BrolyBlack
I know right lol

NemeBro
The hell? I know right? Black Panther is far better than Titanic and will be remembered longer. thumb up

BackFire
Was hoping to see Hereditary get some nominations. Really deserved to imo.

NemeBro
Originally posted by BackFire
Was hoping to see Hereditary get some nominations. Really deserved to imo. The Awards hate horror my man, you know how it is.

WolvesofBabylon
Black Panther is MAYBE top 10 comic movie at best.

playa1258
Horror films always get snubbed and same with comic films until now.

Tzeentch
Wow. This really isnt getting to you at all. Yeah I was out of line there, sorry about that mate. Film making as an art form is something I'm passionate about but that's no excuse for going apeshit on you.

Inhuman
Originally posted by Senor Cage
BP was solid, but nothing special. Glad it got many nominations, though.

https://i.imgur.com/ZP0GOVO.jpg

Senor Cage
That was you in the Aquaman thread. laughing out loud

Inhuman
That was you in the Aquaman thread. laughing out loud

Ha, Aquaman was just another Bayformers type movie. Bland to Mediocre movie that makes bank.

I didnt think AQ was all that but even I liked it more than you did, before you started faking it.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by Inhuman
Ha, Aquaman was just another Bayformers type movie. Bland to Mediocre movie that makes bank.

I didnt think AQ was all that but even I liked it more than you did, before you started faking it.

This is the Oscar thread, buddy. Go cry about AM somewhere else.

I liked Panther for the most part. Solid B. But let's not kid ourselves. It's nothing special on the BP list. it's not going to win any major awards, and will probably win most of the technical ones.

Inhuman
This is the Oscar thread, buddy. Go cry about AM somewhere else.

You brought up AQ erm
AQ is old news, only one still posting in dead thread is you.

Senor Cage
And you extended the conversation. Get back on topic, sport.

Darth Thor
Yeah I was out of line there, sorry about that mate. Film making as an art form is something I'm passionate about but that's no excuse for going apeshit on you.

Lol no worries

Darth Thor
In terms of actually winning major awards Infinity War has a decent shot at winning best Visual Effects methinks.

I liked Panther for the most part. Solid B. But let's not kid ourselves. It's nothing special on the BP list. it's not going to win any major awards, and will probably win most of the technical ones.

Ryan Coogler >>> Wan cofirmed.

Senor Cage
That's a technical award. A major award would be best picture, director, actor, etc.. no comic movie has won a major award since TDK. and ill take Wan over Coogler.

Darth Thor
That's a technical award.

Its the Big Technical Award though.

and ill take Wan over Coogler.

Biggest blockbuster to ever be nominated for best film - Coogler.

Its no contest really.

Senor Cage
I'm not even talking about nominations, just personal preference. Wan is primarily a horror guy, and horror movies dont get nominated much.

Panther has been shut down by all the previous award shows, so I expect it to lose at least half the awards.

Darth Thor
Coogler revitalised the Rocky series with Creed.

BP is the biggest ever movie to be nominated for Best film. And the o lot superhero film. Theres really no contest.

Darth Thor
^ Only* superhero film.

Senor Cage
And Wan reinvented/revitalized a whole genre. Not even close, imo. Creed was excellent. Panther was a step below that.

Darth Thor
Nah Both Creed and BP are a couple of steps above anything Wan has done.

In my Opinion of Course (and apparently the Academys Opinion as well).

StiltmanFTW

Golgo didn't even like Aquaman, lol.

He changed his mind when it started making impressive numbers.

Creed was... so-so, imo. I can't forgive Sly for having Paulie Pennino dying off-screen.

Was Creed II any better? Still need to see it.

Darth Thor
^ Not seen Creed 2 either. Heard its a step down from the first one. Must be missing Cooglers touch.

Loved the first tbh. Watched it late but was pleasantly surprised.

StiltmanFTW
It was full of energy (youth) that 6 was lacking (for obvious reasons)... but it also was missing something, imo.

Killing Adrian off screen was bad enough. But Paulie? It's a f*cking crime.

https://tinyurl.com/y92ttzfr

Flyattractor
I am sure this year the ratings for the Oscars will be even lower then last year so yea....

Senor Cage

Disagree. Wans horror catalog is superior.

Senor Cage
Creed 2 was kinda garbage.

StiltmanFTW
Creed 2 was kinda garbage.

It was? sad

Senor Cage
Compared to the first one, yeah.

BrolyBlack
BP up for next picture is just stupid.

John Murdoch
I really liked Infinity War, but it's nowhere close to as well made as Black Panther was. Infinity War was fanservice. Excellent, well made fanservice, but fanservice nonetheless. Black Panther was a Titanic level cultural juggernaut.

Besides BP's score, which is perhaps the MCU high mark for a music score, and perhaps Michael B. Jordan's performance, IW is at least 3-4 times the movie BP is in every category. Not even a contest.

BrolyBlack
BP was straight up corny at some points

John Murdoch
^Not attacking you, Will, but the visual effects for Thanos alone is an achievement above anything BP has.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by John Murdoch
^Not attacking you, Will, but the visual effects for Thanos alone is an achievement above anything BP has.

Which is why IW is nominated for best Visual Effects. And will probably win tbh.

Great year for Marvel thumb up

Eon Blue
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
BP up for next picture is just stupid. thumb up

NemeBro
BP was straight up corny at some points Where?

Flyattractor
BP was straight up corny at some points

Originally posted by NemeBro
Where?

You Do realize its a Comic Book SuperHero movie...right?

Patient_Leech
Of the Best Picture nominees, so far I've seen...

Black Panther - 7/10
BlacKkKlansman - 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
A Star Is Born - 8/10
Vice - 9/10

Still need to see...

The Favourite
Green Book
Roma

I also want to try to watch At Eternity's Gate for Willem Dafoe's best actor nomination.

MythLord
I'm rooting for BP and ASIB. BR was also pretty good, but I had issues with it.

Patient_Leech
Granted I had a poor copy of it, but The Favourite was awful.

Some good wardrobes/costumes/sets etc, but a terrible movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by MythLord
BR was also pretty good, but I had issues with it.

What are your issues with it?

I'm just curious because I'm not a huge Queen connoisseur and am interested to hear some opinions.

ares834
Four awards will be presented during commerical break. Those awards are for cinematography, film editing, live action short, and makeup/hair-styling.

laughing out loud

As if presenting awards during a commercial break wasn't ridiculous enough, they chose cinematography and film editing! Two of the most essential components to films and they are presenting the awards during commercials!? The academy has shredded all their remaining credibility. What an absolute ****ing joke.

Funny how all these categories have no Disney nominations in them.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, cinematography and film editing is ridiculous. It's like the Grammys not airing any Rock categories. The Grammys have been a total joke for a long time, of course, but damn, film editing and cinematography. That sucks.

I watched Green Book and loved it. VICE and Green Book are my favorites for Best Picture. They're so different, though, so it's difficult to say which is better than the other. To me they're a toss up. Both really, really good.

Only one I haven't seen yet is Roma. I've tried a few times and Netflix keeps fu#king up, but I'm going to keep trying.

Patient_Leech
Think I read that they changed their mind on airing those awards during commercial break. I think they listened to the backlash.

I mean damn, the Academy is pretty epically incompetent and goofy for such a prestigious organization.

Patient_Leech
And I watched Roma. I'll copy my thoughts I posted in the other thread...

I definitely admired it more than I liked it. It's very slow moving and takes probably the entire first act to hook you much. I think he definitely deserves Best Director, but the story reminded me of shitty feminist literature I was forced to study in high school. The male characters are scumbags and the women just have to be stronger to overcome. So yeah, given the current state of man-hating in the media it will probably win Best Picture.

I HOPE that wasn't the point of the story, but it was definitely there. But the way it's filmed is brilliant, so yeah he needs best director for it.

BruceSkywalker
watched Roma, utter shit.. a few scenes made no sense... a few scenes went on too long...

James T. Kirk

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Black Panther - 7/10
BlacKkKlansman - 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
A Star Is Born - 8/10
Vice - 9/10

Finishing my ratings for the Best Picture nominees...

The Favourite - 5/10
Green Book - 9/10
Roma - 6/10

So obviously my favorites are Green Book and VICE, but I think Roma will probably win unfortunately. Because men are scum, that's what's 'in' right now. I need to make my wife watch Blackkklansman, so I might actually watch that again.

At Eternity's Gate - 6-7/10 (if I'm generous)

Not a very good movie unfortunately, but it is a good performance from Willem Dafoe, so it was worth watching for that. I do hope he wins best Actor for it. There were also a couple other surprises, I didn't know Mads Mikkelsen and Oscar Isaac were in it. That was cool.

James T. Kirk
Finishing my ratings for the Best Picture nominees...

The Favourite - 5/10
Green Book - 9/10
Roma - 6/10

So obviously my favorites are Green Book and VICE, but I think Roma will probably win unfortunately. Because men are scum, that's what's 'in' right now. I need to make my wife watch Blackkklansman, so I might actually watch that again.

At Eternity's Gate - 6-7/10 (if I'm generous)

Not a very good movie unfortunately, but it is a good performance from Willem Dafoe, so it was worth watching for that. I do hope he wins best Actor for it. There were also a couple other surprises, I didn't know Mads Mikkelsen and Oscar Isaac were in it. That was cool. I actually think he'd be the least deserving.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by James T. Kirk
I actually think he'd be the least deserving.

I don't necessarily disagree.. haha, but I like Willem Dafoe and he needs an Oscar.

I think his performance would have come across better if the movie was better. The movie is sucky to mediocre at best. His performance actually reminded me of Last Temptation of Christ, which is a much better movie.

James T. Kirk
I don't necessarily disagree.. haha, but I like Willem Dafoe and he needs an Oscar.

I think his performance would have come across better if the movie was better. The movie is sucky to mediocre at best. His performance actually reminded me of Last Temptation of Christ, which is a much better movie.Then give him a Lifetime Achievement Award. The Best Actor Oscar should be a reward for the best performance OF THE YEAR.

Patient_Leech
I agree, but when Leonardo DiCaprio finally won I didn't think he was necessarily the most deserving that year either (2016 for The Revenant), but I think they were finally giving him what he deserved. Just sayin'.

And all the other nominees this year are in much better films, so that makes them come across better. Just sayin'.

Surtur
Bottom line, BP isn't worthy of best picture and wouldn't have even been nominated if not for it's mostly black cast.

The soft bigotry of low expectations thumb up

Lestov16
Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody... The academy has ****in lost it.

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more. And Bohemian Rhapsody was downright bad.

thumb up

The fact that either of those two films have a nomination shows just how worthless these awards are, as well as what this awards show is really about. We live in a sad era where race, gender, and sexual orientation, rather than being irrelevant, are now overriding meritocracy and artistic creativity.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Lestov16
thumb up

The fact that either of those two films have a nomination shows just how worthless these awards are, as well as what this awards show is really about. We live in a sad era where race, gender, and sexual orientation, rather than being irrelevant, are now overriding meritocracy and artistic creativity.

That's kind of why I think First Man about Neil Armstrong got snubbed on a Best Picture nomination. I bet if he had been black or gay it would have been an instant nominee. That was an excellent movie with a very unique vision and subtle use of music. I was really impressed with it much more than I was expecting to be.

James T. Kirk
Anyone wanna hang out in here tomorrow night and chat while we watch?

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Lestov16
thumb up

Bohemian Rhapsody outright sucks as a movie. Black Panther is awesome. Whether you think it deserves to win BP is subjective, but it's in no way a bad film.

Dr Will Hatch
Anyone wanna hang out in here tomorrow night and chat while we watch?

Sure. Roma FTW.

James T. Kirk
Sure. Roma FTW.I couldn't disagree more but happy to have some company while I sit through the awards.

James T. Kirk
Here we go.

James T. Kirk
Regina King gets Best Supporting Actress (knew it) and Free Solo gets Best Documentary Feature.

James T. Kirk
Vice gets Best Makeup & Hairstyling.

James T. Kirk
Black Panther gets Best Costume Design.

James T. Kirk
And Best Production Design.

James T. Kirk
Roma gets Best Cinematography.

James T. Kirk
Bohemian Rhapsody gets Best Sound Editing.

James T. Kirk
And Best Sound Mixing.

James T. Kirk
Roma gets Best Foreign Language Film.

James T. Kirk
Bohemian Rhapsody gets Best Film Editing.

James T. Kirk
Mahershala Ali gets Best Supporting Actor (knew it).

James T. Kirk
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse gets Best Animated Feature Film.

ares834

Both well deserved.

NemeBro
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse gets Best Animated Feature Film. Good. thumb up

It deserves Best Picture more than Black Panther does. smile

James T. Kirk
Bao gets Best Animated Short Film and Period. End of Sentence. gets Best Documentary Short Subject.

James T. Kirk
Both well deserved. What?

James T. Kirk
First Man gets Best Visual Effects.

James T. Kirk
Skin gets Best Live Action Short Film.

ares834
What?

I thought both deserved their win. I meant to quote Spider verse winning as well as Ali.

James T. Kirk
Green Book gets Best Original Screenplay and BlacKkKlansman gets Best Adapted Screenplay.

Senor Cage
First Man gets Best Visual Effects.

Damn. i though Avengers was going to get it.

James T. Kirk
Black Panther gets Best Original Score and A Star Is Born gets Best Original Song.

James T. Kirk
Rami Malek gets Best Actor.

Senor Cage
Well deserved.

James T. Kirk
Olivia Colman gets Best Actress.

James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk
Green Book gets Best Picture.

Tzeentch
Green Book didn't deserve best picture over BKKK but it deserved it a hell of a lot more then BP did, so that's a small victory.

ares834
Shocked that Green Book won big picture. I liked it though so I can't say I'm disappointed.

James T. Kirk

BrolyBlack

playa1258
Too many white people in A Star Is Born.

steverules_2

Tzeentch
They're both dead so I don't think they're too bothered by it.

Kazenji
Or even the many other writers/Artist's that did the other character's.

Impediment

Inhuman
Reported for racism

jaden_2.0
Green Book will probably win.

Best actor will go to Bale even though it should be Malek.

Actress will be Olivia Colman even though she's shite.

I was close. Didn't think Bohemian rhapsody would get anything with Singer being all rapey. Glad Malek won though.

steverules_2

jaden_2.0
Black
Black
Black
Black
Mexican
Arab
Woman
Black

The "get woke, go broke" lot will be frothing at the mouth.

Bentley
We all know that until we get an Oscar from a Mexican female director Mexico doesn't count uhuh

Surtur
Black
Black
Black
Black
Mexican
Arab
Woman
Black

The "get woke, go broke" lot will be frothing at the mouth.

Speaking of being woke, I love seeing deranged leftists twist themselves into pretzels trying to be the most wokest evah. You'd think, given the shit you just listed, they'd be satisfied with last night? Oho, think again, there's crying to be done. So far, the whining has been:

-Roma didn't win best picture
-Black Panther didn't win best picture
-Black KKKlansman didn't win best picture
-Green Room won best picture
-Bohemian Rhapsody won multiple awards
-Nobody who won an award for Bohenmian Rhapsody mentioned Bryan Singer and the accusations against him

Lol this is hilarious and to top it off, Trump referenced within the first 40 seconds of the broadcast.

#RentFree

jaden_2.0
Well that didn't take long.

BrolyBlack
On top of it Gaga and Bradly has the best performance of the oscars

jaden_2.0
You really like that movie a lot, don't you?!

BrolyBlack

Impediment
Not one person thanked Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, or Stan Lee.

Surtur
They should have given Stan Lee some honorary award. I don't know. Most cameos in a single universe?

Surtur

Robtard
I wanted Green Book to win, was happy it did, was the best movie on the roster.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
Speaking of being woke, I love seeing deranged leftists twist themselves into pretzels trying to be the most wokest evah. You'd think, given the shit you just listed, they'd be satisfied with last night? Oho, think again, there's crying to be done. So far, the whining has been:

-Roma didn't win best picture
-Black Panther didn't win best picture
-Black KKKlansman didn't win best picture
-Green Room won best picture
-Bohemian Rhapsody won multiple awards
-Nobody who won an award for Bohenmian Rhapsody mentioned Bryan Singer and the accusations against him

Lol this is hilarious and to top it off, Trump referenced within the first 40 seconds of the broadcast.

#RentFree

For someone who claims to not give a shit about Hollywood and especially the Oscars, you somehow manage to invest yourself fully each year and flip the phuck out over the outcomes as you are now.

Relax, it's just a stupid award show where mostly rich people praise themselves smile

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
I wanted Green Book to win, was happy it did, was the best movie on the roster.

I agree. I really like VICE and Blackkklansman and A Star is Born is highly commendable, too, but Green Book just had some extra special charm.

And the others got awards in other categories, so all in all I think it was a pretty fair contest.

It was cool to see Black Panther recognized for production design and costumes 'n such and VICE for makeup 'n such.

And I actually liked the show without a host. It should have been shorter without the host, though, so I think they must have had more commercials. I was annoyed it went past 11:00 pm. #tiredtoday

Surtur
For someone who claims to not give a shit about Hollywood and especially the Oscars, you somehow manage to invest yourself fully each year and flip the phuck out over the outcomes as you are now.

Relax, it's just a stupid award show where mostly rich people praise themselves smile

I enjoy the outrage that follows smile

Patient_Leech
Hey, I sympathize with the criticism that the Oscars tends to only nominate films that relate to equal rights for blacks/gays, etc. But it seems like just a year or two ago everyone was complaining about the Oscars being so white. You can't have it both ways.

I like that they value equal rights and whatnot, but at the same time I think First Man got snubbed because he wasn't black or gay or both. That was a phenomenal film and deserved a Best Pic nom, so it's kind of bullshit. It did win for visual effects, though, so I'm glad for that.

Surtur
I never cared much about the Oscars, I am just fascinated by the idea some seem to have that what wins at the Oscars somehow reflects on how far we've come as a society on racism, sexism, etc.

Lately achievements are boiled down to "she's the first black woman to do this" or "he's the first gay asian to do that". Lol.

People seem very confused on how to feel. For instance some are happy Mahershala Ali won another best supporting actor award, others are mad cuz they feel he should have been nominated for best actor not best supporting actor. The implication being he's been relegated to best supporting actor cuz racism.

I'm not exactly sure people will ever be satisfied.

Surtur
Oh and I shit you not the CIA spent part of the night tweeting out shit about how technology from Black Panther wouldn't be possible in the real world.

Damn tho, these people legit are in charge of assassinations and stuff.

Robtard
I agree. I really like VICE and Blackkklansman and A Star is Born is highly commendable, too, but Green Book just had some extra special charm.

And the others got awards in other categories, so all in all I think it was a pretty fair contest.

It was cool to see Black Panther recognized for production design and costumes 'n such and VICE for makeup 'n such.

And I actually liked the show without a host. It should have been shorter without the host, though, so I think they must have had more commercials. I was annoyed it went past 11:00 pm. #tiredtoday

I agree on all fronts, and it did seem far less cheesy and streamlined without some official host making lame jokes. They should do this going forward.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
I enjoy the outrage that follows smile

The outrage from people like you?

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Impediment
Not one person thanked Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, or Stan Lee.

The oscars production team cut them off
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/oscars-2019-stan-lee-spiderman-into-the-spiderverse-director-cut-off-a8795281.html%3famp

Surtur
The outrage from people like you?

I merely noted everything I saw people getting upset over, but okay smile

Surtur
Apparently Spike Lee tried to leave once Green Book won and then he had to sit back down cuz they wouldn't let him.

John Murdoch
All in all, seems like it was a pretty solid all-around awards ceremony. Agree with the points Rob and Leech made; I personally haven't seen much this year, but glad BP won Costume and, especially, original score. That score was the best part of the movie.

I've talked with enough movie buff friends that recommended stuff like The Favourite, First Man, Vice, etc. Will get around to seeing them.

Also, want to see Bohemian Rhapsody and Roma (got Netflix, just haven't sat down to view it yet, and Alfonso Cauron is one of my favorite and one of - if not the best - directors in show business these days).

And Blackkklansman, as I'm one of 6.5 people worldwide that thoroughly enjoyed Spike Lee's Oldboy.

BrolyBlack
A Star is Born had better music than Black Panther. Im sorry but tribal music is cool but gets old after a while.

Dr Will Hatch
Disappointed but not angry that Green Book won. It's the definition of a safe choice. At least it wasn't Bohemian Rhapsody.

Loved that Spider-Verse won Best Animated Film.

Overall, pretty decent awards show, I guess. Never been too big on the Oscars, and after the lulz had by the La La Land/Moonlight fiasco a couple years ago, it was all downhill from there.

relentless1
can't believe BP was even nominated tbh, the movie has great cultural impact to be sure but a movie isn't judged on that; BP was a good movie but it wasn't great

Patient_Leech
I've talked with enough movie buff friends that recommended stuff like The Favourite, First Man, Vice, etc. Will get around to seeing them.

Yeah, I liked First Man and Vice a lot.

Also, want to see Bohemian Rhapsody and Roma (got Netflix, just haven't sat down to view it yet, and Alfonso Cauron is one of my favorite and one of - if not the best - directors in show business these days).

Yeah, his cinematography is stunning. I didn't like Roma, but it's still pretty mesmerizing just for the way it's filmed once you get past the first act.

Disappointed but not angry that Green Book won. It's the definition of a safe choice. At least it wasn't Bohemian Rhapsody.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are complaining about it winning because it's such a "by the numbers" choice, but f#ck, who cares? it's solidly done, it's charming, funny. People are going to b!tch about whoever wins because it's ultimately at least somewhat subjective. But to me a best picture should have great cinematography (at least smooth and not distracting, and if not, there should be a reason it's not), I mean, they should be well thought out in just about ever aspect. Like Birdman was an excellent winner, because it was just brilliantly done, entertaining, but it also had a hint of weirdness and it played to the theatrical sensibilities of the Academy and entertainment in general. So it was the obvious winner that year.

Overall, pretty decent awards show, I guess. Never been too big on the Oscars, and after the lulz had by the La La Land/Moonlight fiasco a couple years ago, it was all downhill from there.

Yeah, see, I thought both of those movies sucked hard. La La Land just wasn't my cup of tea (so I guess I can give it the benefit of the doubt), but Moonlight had no plot other than they were gay. Stupid movie.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>