Achilles runs a gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Juk3n
Each battle the same manor as he fought Hector. All opponents get their standard melee gear from their respective universes.

Maximus
Crixus
Gannicus
Sparticus
Leonidas
Aragorn
Legolas
Lei Mu Bai (Crouching Tiger)
Nameless (Jet li - Hero)
Prince Nuada
Blade.

How fares brave Achilles.

WolvesofBabylon
Stopd at Legolas in my opinion

John Murdoch
Never have seen Spartacus, my friends. Leonidas gives him a run for his money, but Achilles proves too much.

End of trilogy Aragorn dueled an armored cave troll with a giant sword. Strider was blocking blows and withstood being stood on by the troll. He is too much for Brad Pitt.

FrothByte
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Never have seen Spartacus, my friends. Leonidas gives him a run for his money, but Achilles proves too much.

End of trilogy Aragorn dueled an armored cave troll with a giant sword. Strider was blocking blows and withstood being stood on by the troll. He is too much for Brad Pitt.

Aragorn is strong but I don't think he has the speed or skill to match Achilles.

Legolas will be a better match for Achilles, and I can see that match going either way.

BrolyBlack
Is Troy on air again on a few networks? These Achilles threads are poping back up.

Nibedicus

BrolyBlack
His spear throwing ability was world-renowned, he threw a spear like a football field, hit and killed its intended target. With that much force behind it, it no doubt can go through chain mail. It was so influential, Hector was crying about it to his wife the night before his death that he had never seen a spear thrown that far.

Robtard
Football field? Wasn't that far. He is a badass though, but Legolas takes him.

FrothByte

KingD19
Legolas wrecks him if he makes it past Aragorn. His elvish strength, agility and speed on top of his skills will be too much.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
His spear throwing ability was world-renowned, he threw a spear like a football field, hit and killed its intended target. With that much force behind it, it no doubt can go through chain mail. It was so influential, Hector was crying about it to his wife the night before his death that he had never seen a spear thrown that far.

I agree a full direct from a spear throw would pierce the armor considering what Achilles has been able to do with the spear. I was meaning more on the melee range damage using spear jabs and thrusts. But that is a good point.

Originally posted by FrothByte
Armor was pretty useless in the LOTR movies anyway unless they were magical. Pretty much every sword or knife cut through them like they were cardboard. In one of the hobbit movies, I remember a fully armored orc getting knocked out by a frying pan despite getting hit on his helm.

I do agree about the bad armor physics that is prevalent in almost all movies (ppl being able to pierce plate+chain+gambeson and straight thru the other side with a sword is pretty much impossible). But do we suddenly discount the fact that those ARE plate+chain+gambeson armor and just assume they are made of paper? Not sure I like that line of reasoning. Especially since we KNOW how effective these types of armor are within the real world. If anything, you are better off arguing that the weapons or the ppl using said weapons were strong enough to succeed at inflicting damage even though armor what they do than assuming armor is useless.

Also, it was mentioned quite a few times how effective armor was (although in character statements) such as prior to the battle of Helm’s Deep (they were talking about how thick Uruk armor was and how they should aim for the neck or below the arms).

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
Legolas wrecks him if he makes it past Aragorn. His elvish strength, agility and speed on top of his skills will be too much.

I would have said the same thing if it wasn't for Legolas's final fight with Bolg. Though it showed great strength on the elf's part, it also made him seem slower and less skilled than he ought to be. He should have theoretically been able to dance around Bolg and easily land multiple strikes on him.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Nibedicus

I do agree about the bad armor physics that is prevalent in almost all movies (ppl being able to pierce plate+chain+gambeson and straight thru the other side with a sword is pretty much impossible). But do we suddenly discount the fact that those ARE plate+chain+gambeson armor and just assume they are made of paper? Not sure I like that line of reasoning. Especially since we KNOW how effective these types of armor are within the real world. If anything, you are better off arguing that the weapons or the ppl using said weapons were strong enough to succeed at inflicting damage even though armor what they do than assuming armor is useless.

Also, it was mentioned quite a few times how effective armor was (although in character statements) such as prior to the battle of Helm’s Deep (they were talking about how thick Uruk armor was and how they should aim for the neck or below the arms).

As far as I'm concerned, unless said armor actually has feats to show they're effective then I'm perfectly fine discounting it. We base stuff on feats after all. In the the battle of 5 armies, civilians throwing rocks were easily able to knockout orcs in full armor... so it wasn't just their weapons that had that ability.

In any case, is heavy armor standard for Aragorn? He seemed to be dressed in minimal armor for majority of the films. Besides, we don't really know what kind of metal was used in Achilles' weapons. We assume it's bronze because he was of that age but there was no mention of that in the movies, neither do I recall the LOTR movies stating that Aragorn had steel weapons.

KingD19
Originally posted by FrothByte
I would have said the same thing if it wasn't for Legolas's final fight with Bolg. Though it showed great strength on the elf's part, it also made him seem slower and less skilled than he ought to be. He should have theoretically been able to dance around Bolg and easily land multiple strikes on him.

Bolg had to look good. He was Azog's son and was fighting tge most OP guy in the movie. Just viewing his river scene, dancing on falling rocks, and the stuff he did against the giant monsters put's Legolas on a level Achilles can't hope to match. If anything Bolg is just an extremely high level Orc whose powerful enough to do well against an Elf of Legolas' caliber and below.

KingD19

Nibedicus

FrothByte

Nibedicus
double post

Nibedicus

FrothByte

Nibedicus

FrothByte

Nibedicus

FrothByte

Nibedicus

FrothByte

Nibedicus

FrothByte

KingD19
Armor shouldnt really matter as Anduril will definitely be super effective against Achilles bronze age armor. Since its magic and enchanted to not ever break, get dull or show blood.

Nibedicus

h1a8
I agree with Nibe (about real objects). but Froth does have a point about that we have no knowledge of what Aragorn`s is made of. So we can't apply real world physics to it, we must use feats.

So the question is, does his armor have feats of resisting penetration?
If not then it is unknown.

Silent Master
Just to be clear, you're now arguing that feats trump writer's intent?

FrothByte

FrothByte
And just to add: Achilles' armor actually has feats of being protective. His shin guard was able to deflect Hector's sword and his breastplate only received a very light scratch from Hector's slash. Admittedly it was a weak slash but still, it's something.

Of course, I'm not saying Aragorn can't get through that armor. Just thought I'd point it out.

Surtur
After the shit Legolas was doing in the Hobbit trilogies...yeah, he's gonna beat Achilles.

Also lol@ Blade being here.

h1a8
Originally posted by Silent Master
Just to be clear, you're now arguing that feats trump writer's intent? If it was writer's intent that the armors were made of steel then you have a point. But evidence of that do we have?

In other words, Prove that is writer's intent that the armor is made of steel and not some weaker type of metal. Otherwise, we don't know.

Flyattractor
I find it kind of funny to think that some of you had to sit thru a Rewatch of this BoreCrapFest to be able to debate in this thread...

BrolyBlack
Wow you guys care to much about nothing at all, honestly who gives a fck?

Surtur
Wow you guys care to much about nothing at all, honestly who gives a fck?

bCAnalgNQps

Nibedicus

Flyattractor
More Like Achilles Armor is the ONLY Armor that works. Everyone else is just wearing Cosplay Armor.

FrothByte

FrothByte
In any case, rereading OP it says that combatants are dressed in standard gear. Considering that Aragorn spends most of his time without armor or with only little armor I feel like our argument is pointless.

Nibedicus

Nibedicus

Nibedicus
Fodder armor working:

You can see the elf mid center right hitting an ork 2x and the ork takes no damage and gets back to fighting.

https://youtu.be/JcrbBLjuecE

(3:33)

Same ork at (3:37) rushing forward to attack an elf offscreen.

BrolyBlack
You two progressed your lives a lot by this debate.

Surtur
You two progressed your lives a lot by this debate.

Stop drinking that haterade bro.

relentless1
stopped at Legolas but a good fight nonetheless

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.