Resident Evil Village

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
https://twistedvoxel.com/rumor-resident-evil-8-will-be-third-person-might-bring-back-hook-man-still-early-in-development/

A twitter account with a history of leaking RE info just leaked that RE8 is in development. They also corroborated Dusk Golems RE3 leak (Dusk Golem is a leaker I'm more familiar with and actually trust since he hasn't been wrong on any of the games he's leaked; RE2, Re7, Evil Within 2, and Sekiro off the top of my head). Take this leak with a grain of salt unless you're familiar with the account and put more stock in the RE3 leak IMO

For those of you not familiar with RE3.5, it was one of the scrapped versions of RE4 (there were 3 scrapped versions before the masterpiece we got, and one of the others ended up as Devil May Cry). The trailer (below) introduced an invincible stalker enemy called Hookman that took the series into a seemingly supernatural direction. It looks they're trying to bring his concept back in 8 through hallucinations, which has me split. One one hand, this could give RE the chance to really explore one of it's protagonists since hallucinations could add more psychological elements to RE if handled well. On the other, hallucinations are IMO a lazy storytelling device and the game would lose its novelty when you know whats real or not (RE is about BOWs so there is no way to convince the player the Hookman is real unless they really do decide to bring in supernatural elements).

Still, IMO RE3.5 is one of the cooler video game concepts I've seen. I wouldn't mind pieces of it returning. Since this title follows someone investigating the creation of Eveline and other BOWs to the source, I'm assuming it has to be the BSAA right? So probably Chris, Barry, Rebecca, or Jill as returning protagonists? Leon and Claire are out since their jobs have nothing to do with BOWs (they're usually just in the wrong place and wrong time). I suppose it could be Ethan (I wouldn't be surprised if he joined after the events of 7)

FrD5l7lHB_o

Arachnid1
https://www.ign.com/articles/report-resident-evil-8-will-also-be-first-person

F*ck. That was the one thing I didn't want. I loved RE7 and it's IMO one of the best in the series up there with REmake, RE2 (both versions), and RE4, but god damn I hate first person.

cdtm
RE2 was the last good one. 4 is overrated, everything after 5 is complete shit.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by cdtm
RE2 was the last good one. lol

No. It's rated exactly where it should be. One of the best games of all time.

No. The Revelations games were solid and both 7 and RE2make are some of the best in the series.

How the hell did you manage to make a post that had almost every sentence be straight up wrong?

BackFire
Originally posted by Arachnid1
https://www.ign.com/articles/report-resident-evil-8-will-also-be-first-person

F*ck. That was the one thing I didn't want. I loved RE7 and it's IMO one of the best in the series up there with REmake, RE2 (both versions), and RE4, but god damn I hate first person.

I loved the first person viewpoint. Personally I'm happy they're bringing it back but I know a lot of people didn't care for it. Ideally, they would make it so you could choose first person or third person over the shoulder.

Ridley_Prime
1st person again? Sigh, okay then.

And werewolves? Da fuq?

Kazenji
Sounds to me that they're going back to the plans that they had for the 4th game.

Smasandian
I also loved the first person view in RE7. It made the game feel new and it allowed them to do some awesome moments. And they nailed it as well.

I'm happy they are doing it again. I assume the idea is to remake most old RE games in 3rd person and then new games be in 1st person.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Sounds to me that they're going back to the plans that they had for the 4th game.

I know, disgusting.

It's not survival horror anymore, it's goddamned call of duty.

Adam Grimes
I really dislike RE4 with a passion.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I really have terrible taste. thumb up

Adam Grimes
Shut up, homo.

It was a great game back then and I played the **** out of it when I was 9 but with time it became apparent to me that it wasn't as good as I previously thought. The story isn't interesting, generic protagonist, boring enemy design, boring level desing after you reach the castle, so-so gameplay, shit soundtrack etc.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian
I also loved the first person view in RE7. It made the game feel new and it allowed them to do some awesome moments. And they nailed it as well.

I'm happy they are doing it again. I assume the idea is to remake most old RE games in 3rd person and then new games be in 1st person.
But after the RE3make, will that be it for 3rd person as far as the mainline games? Therein lies my concern.

Adam Grimes
I would like they commit to the First Person for the new trilogy and leave the 3rd person for the inevitable Code Veronica Remake.

cdtm
Shut up, homo.

It was a great game back then and I played the **** out of it when I was 9 but with time it became apparent to me that it wasn't as good as I previously thought. The story isn't interesting, generic protagonist, boring enemy design, boring level desing after you reach the castle, so-so gameplay, shit soundtrack etc.

I'll say early game was spectacular. That village was simply amazing.

And then it turns into a gothic B movie with samey environments. Basically, it felt like they got lazy, or rushed most of the mid/late game, with all the polish focused on those first few hours, where most bad reviewers pack it in and give their verdicts.

-Pr-
Honestly, I admire 4 as a technical achievement. Mechanically. it's a fantastic game.

Story wise, though? It's not that great. And upping the action from 3 and CV (which were already pretty actiony) is the reason we ended up getting the abominations that were 5 and 6.

Ridley_Prime
Not sure I see Code Veronica getting prioritized for a remake like 2 and 3, but if it happens, I wont complain.

Eh, I still thank 5 for all the people and fellow fans I met through it. While not technically good RE games, the co-op of 5 and 6 was still a good experience, and the more co-op/actiony stuff seems to be saved for spinoffs nowadays, so the 4-6 trilogy feels kinda harmless retroactively, now that the main series is past the hollywood action phase.

Kazenji
I know, disgusting.

It's not survival horror anymore, it's goddamned call of duty.

Nice try, Troll

but it wasn't that, That game originally was gonna have ghosts in that one.

cdtm
Nice try, Troll

but it wasn't that, That game originally was gonna have ghosts in that one.

My mistake.

I confused you as a person of good taste.

Werewolves and first person view have as much business in an RE game as a machine gun has in Legend of Zelda.

Kazenji

I confused you as a person of good taste.

Which i do have good taste, But that's all subjective.

Adam Grimes
I have the objetively best subjective taste in this sub-forum.

Arachnid1
https://www.biohazardcast.com/resident-evil-8-listed-german-video-website/

RE8 was listed on a German retailer and then immediately taken down. Also, we've had a ton more leaks after the OP that have stuck with the village setting. They've all been pretty consistent about the details.

Smasandian
There has been rumours it was suppose to be shown at Sony PS5 announcement from last week.

Arachnid1
Hopefully we see it at the PS5 event this Thursday. I'm really pulling for it and Silent Hill.

Nemesis X
wU9XRj-fjEQ

Smasandian
Looks cool. I loved RE7 and this seems to be more of that and that's OK with me.

Arachnid1
It looked f*cking fantastic. This is actually the most hyped I've ever been for an RE other than RE2make and 4.

That setting, especially, is A1. It's what I wanted the RE4make to look like. Pure horror.

Arachnid1
bNsunbW2lSA

Here's some gameplay. The attache case from RE4 is back, thank god. I love that thing.

Adam Grimes
I think this all but confirms RE4 Remake.

Kazenji
The guy with the beard and hat, Some people i've seen seem to think it's Luis Sera.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, they're probably the same people that theorized Ushtanak was a mutated Leon. Or that RE7's Chris was actually Hunk. Lol

Kazenji
Wouldn't surprise me if Luis Sera by some chance came back, Pulling a Wesker moment with his death in RE4.

Impediment

Smasandian
It depends on how semi that is.
I love open world games and some franchises have transitioned well to them but I hope RE8 does not go down that path.

Impediment
Maybe sandbox would be a better term.

Insane Titan

Arachnid1
lIPzW4HdYok

Smasandian
Is it me or is that trailer all over the place?

BackFire

Nemesis X
I'm guessing Ethan only winds up where he is that's the game's setting 'cause Chris dropped him off there? Considering what happened in the first trailer, not sure what to feel about this antagonistic role he's in.

Arachnid1
Is it me or is that trailer all over the place? I agree, the first trailer was a little better. Really weird editing there. That scene of the werewolf attack was especially hard to follow.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
I'm guessing Ethan only winds up where he is that's the game's setting 'cause Chris dropped him off there? Considering what happened in the first trailer, not sure what to feel about this antagonistic role he's in. Eh, if he executed Mia, it was probably for a reason. I trust Chris more than I do Mia or Ethan.

Though I really do like Ethan as a character, unlike some. I'm glad he's back.

Smasandian
There was a werewolve in that trailer? Ha..didn't even noticed.

Arachnid1
btFclZUXpzA

That looks fantastic.

StyleTime
I am really looking forward to this game. I wish Chris had shot Ethan though, since I don't particularly care for him.

But oh well, the game should still be great, if RE7 is any indicator.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by StyleTime
I am really looking forward to this game. I wish Chris had shot Ethan though, since I don't particularly care for him.

But oh well, the game should still be great, if RE7 is any indicator. I actually really like Ethan. I prefer him to Jill or Chris (though not over Leon, Claire, or Rebecca). I'm glad he's the protagonist again. It'll be a good two game arc if "His story comes to a close" is referring to Ethan.

NemeBro
https://i.4cdn.org/v/1611286095995.webm

I'm phucking cooming holy shit bros

cdtm
Maybe RE:Verse will actually be good. sad

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
https://i.4cdn.org/v/1611286095995.webm

I'm phucking cooming holy shit bros https://imgur.com/Rj8Arv1.gif

Smasandian
Yeah, it has major RE4 vibes. I'm looking forward to this...and I might be the minority but I love the first person view of the last two games.

I really enjoyed RE7...even though it was a bit short but it was ****ing awesome.

Arachnid1
Yeah, it has major RE4 vibes. I'm looking forward to this...and I might be the minority but I love the first person view of the last two games.

I really enjoyed RE7...even though it was a bit short but it was ****ing awesome. Yeah, I loved it too. IMO RE7 is top 3 or 4 of the series.

I've got my collectors edition for 8 preordered already too. Can't wait to add that Chris statue to the others.

cdtm

Nemesis X
REmake 3 has made me decide not to pre-order. Will wait on the reviews from fans first just in case.

Arachnid1
REmake 3 has made me decide not to pre-order. Will wait on the reviews from fans first just in case. I learned my lesson on RE3make too, though I'm preordering more for the statues. I need a Chris statue to go with Jill and Leon. After this, I just need Claire and Rebecca (Billy would be cool but he'll never come back), and I've got the whole crew.

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1352658897178394624?s=19

Almost as though Capcom should've had one of their A teams on RE3 to begin with, instead of some B team that they didn't see quite eye to eye with. Look at them pretentiously showing how they "learned" from RE3R.

I mean it's good that the next REmake would be better just on that news, but they still get a hand of bird flipping for ruining RE3.

KingD19
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/998/318/37f.gif

OMG, step on me, please.

StyleTime
I actually really like Ethan. I prefer him to Jill or Chris (though not over Leon, Claire, or Rebecca). I'm glad he's the protagonist again. It'll be a good two game arc if "His story comes to a close" is referring to Ethan.
I hear ya. Some people managed to like him. Ethan ranks below the random zombies standing around the basketball courts in RE2 for me though. I'd rather play as one of the giant frogs in RE0 than see Ethan again.

We do agree that it'll be great if his story wraps up ASAP though. thumb up

I'm glad Eveline was a one-and-done too tbh. I won't miss Mia either come to think of it.
Maybe RE:Verse will actually be good. sad
That would be a Christmas miracle... and Capcom God doesn't love us enough for that. sad

cdtm
Honestly, it looks like B movie garbage. Like the "Up all night" shows on USA.

StyleTime
So the Vampire lady got rule 34'd pretty quick...

Nemesis X
g2AiWAqskxA

Arachnid1
g2AiWAqskxA If I click play and that's another retarded "rEdFiElD lIneAgE" joke, I've going to shit myself.

EDIT:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LegitimateNearHuia-size_restricted.gif

Stealth Moose
So glad we got Ethan again, instead of a lore character who gets no love like Billy Koen or something.

Nemesis X
I63jgpg7-hw

Kazenji
Still looks pretty good on the PS4, I can see no faults with it.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
So glad we got Ethan again, instead of a lore character who gets no love like Billy Koen or something. Ethan is dope, and I am glad we got him again.

StyleTime
Different strokes, I suppose.

I think everyman characters go better in games like Silent Hill. Problem is, Ethan isn't layered enough to be a Silent Hill character. And he isn't badass or fun enough to be a Resident Evil character. And some of his decisions strain credibility to a point where I can't suspend disbelief.

He's just the worst of all worlds.

Adam Grimes
Ethan is quite dull tbh.

Arachnid1
v-hd-76EAPE

This game is straight up Resident Evil 4: the Sequel

Kazenji
Capcom reveals Lady D's shoe size, For those people that have a thing for that.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/04/07/resident-evil-village-vampire-shoe-size/ #:~:text=After%20revealing%20Lady%20Dimitrescu's%2
0unusual,is%2044cm%20(17.3%20inches).

Arachnid1
BDlUtPTQEOk

DQ3C2t-c9wA&t=1s

They brought back mercs mode, thank fuk

Also, they announced an RE Dead by Daylight chapter.

KN5itl1a5U4

Also, the next demo is coming out soon. It takes a portion from the main game, so I'd advise you to skip it.

StyleTime

DQ3C2t-c9wA&t=1s

They brought back mercs mode, thank fuk.
Brothers and sisters, gather 'round! Capcom has heard our cries!

It looks like they're adding elements from Raid mode too. Sweet.

I was already pumped for Village, but this adds even more hype for me. This will be one of the few AAA titles I'll pick up at full price. thumb up

Arachnid1
Brothers and sisters, gather 'round! Capcom has heard our cries!

It looks like they're adding elements from Raid mode too. Sweet.

I was already pumped for Village, but this adds even more hype for me. This will be one of the few AAA titles I'll pick up at full price. thumb up I've got my collectors edition preordered for Series X too! I still don't have a Series X though LOL. It's been rough to find.

I'm getting some really bad vibes for Ethan, man.

Chris putting him through the wringer screams the "Ethan was with Umbrella" RE7 theory being legit (due to a list of ex-Umbrella employees including an Ethan W. being deceased in RE5; below), because Chris will never be a bad guy. The devs also stated there's a pretty rough twist in store for Ethan this time around regarding his past

This also explains his wife being a black market bioterrorist and researcher in RE7.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EepOwwjWoAEHLtH.jpg

Ethan is ****ed this game. This is going to be some Silent Hill 2 level tragedy.

Nemesis X
Could they really have not made it where this Mercenaries was at least in third person? And if still making this mode, why the money & resource on ****ing ReVerse? Mercenaries oughta be the one with the multiplayer & character roster. You are kidding me.

Jmanghan
v-hd-76EAPE

This game is straight up Resident Evil 4: the Sequel

Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop! The great big greedy nincompoop!

Ridley_Prime
Could they really have not made it where this Mercenaries was at least in third person? And if still making this mode, why the money & resource on ****ing ReVerse? Mercenaries oughta be the one with the multiplayer & character roster. You are kidding me.
Yeah, everything else looks fine, but this isn't Mercenaries. All that went into ReVerse that not many will play for long should've gone into a proper Mercs mode.

Arachnid1
The timed demo is up for anyone interested. They'll have multiple demos. This one (the village demo) and the castle demo are both going to be up for a limited time (castle demo down the line). Then they'll have a normal third demo up until and past launch. Really weird way to do demos.

It's too close so no playing for me. I hope those of you who played have good impressions though. I'll be living vicariously through you for hype lol

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop! The great big greedy nincompoop! LMAO holy blast from the past

Kazenji
Are the demo's for the PS4 too?...if they aren't i'm not interested.

Arachnid1
Yep, and they're all up for a limited time. Here's the release schedule.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzDWi_7XMAQr63m?format=jpg&name=large

Kazenji
Looks like i have to wait 12 hours before i play the village demo.

Arachnid1
European? Looks like, if so

Kazenji
Going by what Google told me, I gotta wait till Monday to play it even tho its the 18th here in Australia.... erm

Kazenji
**** the demo, Stupid ****en time frame just to play it.

Arachnid1
**** the demo, Stupid ****en time frame just to play it. https://media0.giphy.com/media/3oEdv719FUm1eomOAM/source.gif

Arachnid1
This is out in a day! Also, the review embargo is up in 3 hours. I can't wait! I finally managed to snag a Series X, and my RE8 collectors edition gets in Friday.

I have heard this game no longer has item boxes or ink ribbons in any difficulty though. I know they wanted to go full RE4, but I'm a bit disappointed with both of those being cut out.

Smasandian
Meh. I never understood the ink ribbon thing and item box. Just increased backtracking.

Arachnid1
Meh. I never understood the ink ribbon thing and item box. Just increased backtracking. It's resource management. Limited saves and items you can bring with you means you need to prioritize and plan better rather than just carrying around an arsenal to murder everyone with and saving every time you pick up an herb. It also ups the stakes which in turn ups the horror/stress. It's a huge part of survival horror as a genre.

The absence makes me think they're going for action horror like RE4 and Dead Space this time around, which conflicts with their claim that they consider this the best survival horror game ever made. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy action horror as a genre. I just greatly prefer survival horror.

Nemesis X
So because RE7 made everyone wet their sissy pants, the producer says the horror had to be toned down in Village.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evils-producer-says-village-was-balanced-based-on-feedback-that-re7-was-too-scary/

Maybe Resident Evil wasn't meant for them then if they're gonna complain about horror in a horror game. Acknowledging & appealing to these casuals is already a strike against the game for me.

Arachnid1
I saw that. RE2 and RE7 are the most successful releases the series has ever had. I'm so tired of them backtracking to their 'mass appeal needs nerfed horror' mindset. Thankfully, this game is rated better than RE3 so far but not as high as RE2 and RE7. Hopefully that's enough for them to take the hint with future entries.

https://i.imgflip.com/36qgkw.gif

BackFire
Well I think it's pretty obvious also that RE8 is heavily inspired by RE4, which is more action heavy than the previous games and less scary than the traditional sense. While RE7 felt more inspired by RE1. So the difference in tone makes sense here.

Ridley_Prime
Still, going from RE3 (2020) to RE8, feels like fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I mean if there was still any doubt that they toned down Nemesis in response to complaining about Mr X in the RE2make, the posted article here puts that doubt to rest.

At least Village is better rated than RE3 though as pointed out, but an RE2 or 7 it is not. Oh well, can't always have top tier no holds barred horror releases for this series as history's shown (putting it mildly), but hopefully they can do better again next time.

Smasandian
If RE8 is heavily influenced by RE4....then they're influenced by the most successfully Resident Evil game out there and one the most influential game in the industry.

StyleTime
That's misleading though. If you're talking about the actual individual releases, Resident Evil 7 is the best selling entry in the Resident Evil franchise.

RE4 only over takes it once you add in re-releases and ports and such, and it had over a decade or more to amass those numbers.

RE7 put up the same numbers in barely 3 years.

Smasandian
Hmm. I did not know that.

I also do not think RE7 is particularly survival horror-ish...its freaky for sure...but there is a ****ton of shooting in that game.

StyleTime
It's more about whether you have to manage limited resources than it is whether or not you can shoot stuff. Deciding between bringing extra ammo or bolt cutters for a chained up fence is more what the survival aspect brings.

I'm one of the few diehards that actually enjoyed both the traditional approach and the action approach(yes, even 6) though. I'm not complaining, although it would have been cool to see RE8 continue on the survival path.

I played a little of RE8 before going to bed. It's definitely drawing from 4 a lot, as you're rewarded for fighting with loot and such. The crafting system also eases up the load on your carrying case, as crafting items don't take up slots. You can kinda just make ammo as you need it, so you never over stuff your inventory.

StyleTime
The Duke makes a direct reference to the Merchant in RE4. That was pretty cool.

Adam Grimes
Hmm. I did not know that.

I also do not think RE7 is particularly survival horror-ish...its freaky for sure...but there is a ****ton of shooting in that game. That thing about not having guns is a fairly new, and very stupid, trend in horror games.

Smasandian
New? Amnesia came out 10 years ago......jesus I'm getting old.

I don't have a problem with games that do not have guns. In some cases, it makes sense to not have weapons.

Playing Outlast 2 and I do get annoyed when I cannot attack somebody who is turned around. LIke...there is literally an axe right infront of me...just pick it up and hit him.

Anyways, started playing...and it's definitely RE4 influenced (do not want to spoil anything)...but I'm not getting a total action vibe. For sure, it seems there is lots of ammo but while I have about 1.5 hours into it...the enemies are quite brutal and tough. And the first person feel totally changes how intense a certain section is....I'm finding the first person view makes for a much more creepy vibe and the developers can do some cool things with it.

Stealth Moose
That thing about not having guns is a fairly new, and very stupid, trend in horror games.

I'd disagree here, since a lot of old old Survival Horror games like the original Clock Tower, RE's own inspiration Sweet Home, or PS2 classics like Kuon and Haunting Grounds did not have guns. Earlier RE titles starved you for ammo, with RE2 being perhaps the real exception.

New? Amnesia came out 10 years ago......jesus I'm getting old.

I don't have a problem with games that do not have guns. In some cases, it makes sense to not have weapons.

Playing Outlast 2 and I do get annoyed when I cannot attack somebody who is turned around. LIke...there is literally an axe right infront of me...just pick it up and hit him.

Anyways, started playing...and it's definitely RE4 influenced (do not want to spoil anything)...but I'm not getting a total action vibe. For sure, it seems there is lots of ammo but while I have about 1.5 hours into it...the enemies are quite brutal and tough. And the first person feel totally changes how intense a certain section is....I'm finding the first person view makes for a much more creepy vibe and the developers can do some cool things with it.

I just binge-finished it. Posted a Steam review as well. Basically, it's got a good balance of suspense and quiet exploration, with some pretty intense and frantic action moments. Very solid survival horror game, fun to play, engaging story, and lots of variety in terms of maps and enemies.

Like RE7, very loosely connected to the lore of the main series overall, but still solid.

Smasandian
I'm enjoying it.....the graphics are really crisp and I enjoy how photo-realistic they are.

And the lightening effects are incredible. I have it set to Ray Tracing On....

BackFire

Like RE7, very loosely connected to the lore of the main series overall, but still solid.

This is really the best move they could have made with RE7 and again with RE8. The lore of the series really went off the rails after RE4 I think, and became kind of comically bad and childish - Some Kingdom Hearts levels of absurdity to the point where it began to make the games less scary because they were connected to such a silly, convoluted plot.

Treating RE7 as a soft reboot of sorts to get the upcoming games away from the main plot of the earlier games and ground the series a little again is a smart move.

Insane Titan
Just completed it, managed to smash it in over the weekend. I enjoyed it more than RE7 tbh. Trying to ploughthrow mercenaries at the minute .

Arachnid1
I'm playing on hardcore and taking it nice and slow. I want this to last. The intro ambush battle was hard as hell though.

I'm wondering how they're gonna justify Chris' actions in the intro. It was pretty screwed up.

Impediment
Should I pick this up for my PS4 or wait until I get a PS5?

Is there a major discernible difference?

Insane Titan
I'm playing on hardcore and taking it nice and slow. I want this to last. The intro ambush battle was hard as hell though.

I'm wondering how they're gonna justify Chris' actions in the intro. It was pretty screwed up. it all is explained before the end , and it all makes sense.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Impediment
Should I pick this up for my PS4 or wait until I get a PS5?

Is there a major discernible difference? I played it on 5 , and to me it look a lot better.

StyleTime
Like Arachnid, I am also playing on Hardcore. In their effort to appeal to a wider audience, the standard mode came out dog shit easy. You have more resources than you know what to do with, to the point it was it was ruining the experience for me. Enemies were stupid, slow, and did little damage. The blocking mechanic trivializes anything that could be threatening, especially once you cook the meals to upgrade. Most of the horror was removed because I never really felt threatened by anything.

I beat Lady Dimitrescu on the first attempt, and progressed a little further beyond that before just restarting my game on Hardcore. Best decision I could have made. I'm really enjoying the game now.

For folks not satisfied with Standard mode. I'd highly recommend giving Hardcore a try. I'm pretty deep into the game, having placed all four of Rose's body part flasks into the altar, and I'm enjoying it much more. Don't be fooled by the name-- It feels like they made the "Hardcore" difficulty the similar to what we'd expect from "Normal/Standard" . It's still a bit easier than expected, due to your resources/upgrades but the enemies are smart, aggressive, and don't fall over at the slightest touch. You still have plenty of resources, but at least the enemies can slap you silly if you screw around in Hardcore.(Blocking mostly takes care of that. It's OP.)

That said, the final confrontation during the intro level will be HELL. Just make sure to waste time in the basement near flour sack. Look up a video if you need to. It's really worth sticking it out. It's a strange difficulty spike but becomes much more rewarding for the rest of the game.

If you're enjoying Standard mode though, then just stick with that. I'm just really curious what Casual/Easy mode is like. Do the enemies just kill themselves for you?

cdtm
Hardcore mode is a poor man's Alien Isolation.

Working Joe's >>>>> RE Zombies.

StyleTime
Also, Hot Take:

Angie/Donna's entire scenario is among the best in the series, and perhaps all of the horror genre. They deserve to be in the Horror Hall of Fame.

It was so ****ing well done. Despite my complaints, make no mistake: Resident Evil 8 has some downright brilliant moments.

I am enjoying this game and I am pretty damn happy with my purchase. Plus, RE usually gives free DLC, so you're likely getting much more with that price.

cdtm
Maybe when it hits Steam.

And goes on a 95% off sale.

-Pr-
Maybe when it hits Steam.

And goes on a 95% off sale.

It's already on Steam, and has the best launch of any RE game on steam.

==

My brother has been playing this basically since it went live. Told me nothing but great things about it.

Insane Titan

cdtm
Plenty of good games can be had for 60 bucks.

Only reason people pay the ludicrous price of 60 dollars is because of the brand.

-Pr-

Only reason people pay the ludicrous price of 60 dollars is because of the brand.

And, you know, because of the quality of the game.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
And, you know, because of the quality of the game.

No game is worth 60 bucks.

To me.

Anymore.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z at 25 is overpriced, imo. I have buyers remorse on that one.

Glad I spent 40 bucks new on Transformers Devastation, I absolutely would not except for the Transformers brand.

And I totlaly regret spending 60 on Day of Reckoning 2. A good game, could have waited and had it cheap.

People claim game prices haven't gone up much since the 1980's, I say that only proves how big of a ripoff 60-70 dollars really is.

-Pr-
No game is worth 60 bucks.

To me.

Anymore.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z at 25 is overpriced, imo. I have buyers remorse on that one.

Glad I spent 40 bucks new on Transformers Devastation, I absolutely would not except for the Transformers brand.

And I totlaly regret spending 60 on Day of Reckoning 2. A good game, could have waited and had it cheap.

People claim game prices haven't gone up much since the 1980's, I say that only proves how big of a ripoff 60-70 dollars really is.

And that's fine. Games are worth what they worth to each of us.

But to me, I have no problem paying 60 for a game that has sufficient quality and content to keep me engaged.

In the last year alone I can name at least two that I personally would never have had any issue paying that for, and I am not a wealthy man.

It's largely relative unless we're talking about games that get hacked to bits to sell a season pass/dlc, but still want you to pay full-price for the thing.

StyleTime
I'm someone who rarely pays 60 bucks for a game too. And I'm absolutely happy with the 60 I spent on RE8. It's pretty good.

I just wish they'd have given us a heads up about the difficulty modes. It seems much of the community is also switching to Hardcore on their first playthrough, from what I'm reading online. The intro on Hardcore is really rough, but the rest of the playthrough is much more fair while feeling more Resident Evil-y.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by BackFire
This is really the best move they could have made with RE7 and again with RE8. The lore of the series really went off the rails after RE4 I think, and became kind of comically bad and childish - Some Kingdom Hearts levels of absurdity to the point where it began to make the games less scary because they were connected to such a silly, convoluted plot.

Treating RE7 as a soft reboot of sorts to get the upcoming games away from the main plot of the earlier games and ground the series a little again is a smart move.

I'm not sure I agree. There's a lot invested in characters for over 20 years for me, and the story has always been wild with bio weapons, conspiracies and so on. 7 put me off because I wasn't enticed by the rednecks in the swamp, Go Tell Aunt Rhodie spam, and Ethan BlankFace as a protagonist. Then Chris Redfield got reinvented into a jobber with no chin and is working for BLOO UMBRELLARZ and I thought "have the writers even ****ing played the series before?"

Also, Hot Take:

Angie/Donna's entire scenario is among the best in the series, and perhaps all of the horror genre. They deserve to be in the Horror Hall of Fame.

It was so ****ing well done. Despite my complaints, make no mistake: Resident Evil 8 has some downright brilliant moments.

I am enjoying this game and I am pretty damn happy with my purchase. Plus, RE usually gives free DLC, so you're likely getting much more with that price.

Donna's scenario is probably some of the best horror done in the series.

I mean, the cost of making games and the workload has only increased in the last few decades, but the standard launch price is the same. As in, games went from back in the NES days where a few guys programming for maybe a month or two, to entire studios being used for computer rendering, voice acting, writing, mocap, distributing and marketing, the guy who programs it so you can see your character's dick in Conan, etc.

60 dollars means a lot less now than it did in the late 80s/early 90s and back then we got less for our sacrifice. If it was a skilled trade or provider of produce or some such, and their manhour workload increased, cost of labor increased, etc., could you justify the same behavior?

Thrift is a virtue, but sometimes being cheap is a vice.

-Pr-
Were games in the US always 60 dollars?

I mean, here in Ireland, PS1 games were 35-40, PS2 games were in the 40-50 range. PS3 were the first to be around the 60 mark, and nowadays a brand new PS4 game bought digitally is 69.99 on PSN.

Obviously I'm talking about pounds and euros compared to dollars, but the difference in value isn't that vast.

cdtm

I mean, here in Ireland, PS1 games were 35-40, PS2 games were in the 40-50 range. PS3 were the first to be around the 60 mark, and nowadays a brand new PS4 game bought digitally is 69.99 on PSN.

Obviously I'm talking about pounds and euros compared to dollars, but the difference in value isn't that vast.

Far as I can remember, yeah. Which is all the way back to the Intellivision and Nintendo.

Older games might be cheaper, of course, but the new stuff was always about 60-70 bucks.

-Pr-
Far as I can remember, yeah. Which is all the way back to the Intellivision and Nintendo.

Older games might be cheaper, of course, but the new stuff was always about 60-70 bucks.

That's crazy. No wonder they hate the second-hand market.

KingD19
I was born in 89. And I used to buy games at Toys'R'Us and KB Toys. Imp's breakdown is essentially the same as here going through the different generations roughly. Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo games were decently cheap but I was young enough that I never saw price. When PS1 and stuff came out, the games were usually between 30-45. PS2, XBOX, Nintendo 64 games were about 50 bucks for a brand new, Triple A title. And then in the PS3/360 era things were standard around 60 bucks with the Gamecube games being slightly cheaper. New games at the most have been around 64.19 in most game stores like GameStop and Best Buy for the past 2 generations. And now it's like 59.99 if you buy online off the system like PS Plus or XBOX Live.

Smasandian
I remember paying a ****ton for Zelda for the N64...must of been in the 70s (CAN) Or was it higher? I think i might paid 90 for it...but its been a real long time.

StyleTime

It was the same here in the US. The PS1-PS2 era hit a bit of a golden age for prices. I distinctly remember it being a big deal when the price increase was announced for the next gen(PS3/360), although I think N64 games were a bit pricey.

If you go pre-PS1, to SNES and such, the prices were also super expensive. From my understanding, anyway. I was too young to know first hand, but I've heard tales of 70-120$ SNES games. It's even crazier if you adjust for inflation, as the dollar was waaaaay stronger back then.

BackFire
I'm not sure I agree. There's a lot invested in characters for over 20 years for me, and the story has always been wild with bio weapons, conspiracies and so on. 7 put me off because I wasn't enticed by the rednecks in the swamp, Go Tell Aunt Rhodie spam, and Ethan BlankFace as a protagonist. Then Chris Redfield got reinvented into a jobber with no chin and is working for BLOO UMBRELLARZ and I thought "have the writers even ****ing played the series before?"

Bringing back some characters is fine, as long as it's not teleporting, volcano dwelling ninja Albert Wesker. No thanks to that garbage. That was the series jumping the shark moment for me.

To be fair I've never been a super fan or anything. The story in the games were always a distant second to the atmosphere and environments, but it's just too garbled up at this point. It's almost impossible for new comers to get any kind of grip on the story beyond RE4 because of how convoluted it became. It's always been campy of course, but the actual plot was simple and pretty reasonable for the first few games, then it just got more and more fan fictiony. The storylines got worse as more and more mystery got removed, because in place of that mystery was Saturday Morning Cartoon level shit.

I think after the disaster of 6, it was either do this or a full hard reboot. And I'd prefer a soft reboot like they chose because then they can carry over the stuff that worked and ignore the stuff that didn't.

Adam Grimes
DL'ing at last 🥺

Arachnid1
Enjoy! It's been fantastic so far.

Also, Chris dies in the first hour

Adam Grimes
You can't fool me.

I watch YouTube videos about 4chan's leaks and they say he dies in Re:Verse. thumb up

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by BackFire
Bringing back some characters is fine, as long as it's not teleporting, volcano dwelling ninja Albert Wesker. No thanks to that garbage. That was the series jumping the shark moment for me.

To be fair I've never been a super fan or anything. The story in the games were always a distant second to the atmosphere and environments, but it's just too garbled up at this point. It's almost impossible for new comers to get any kind of grip on the story beyond RE4 because of how convoluted it became. It's always been campy of course, but the actual plot was simple and pretty reasonable for the first few games, then it just got more and more fan fictiony. The storylines got worse as more and more mystery got removed, because in place of that mystery was Saturday Morning Cartoon level shit.

I think after the disaster of 6, it was either do this or a full hard reboot. And I'd prefer a soft reboot like they chose because then they can carry over the stuff that worked and ignore the stuff that didn't.
Wesker was a legitimately good villain to be fair, who had better buildup in the previous games than how 5 handled him. Even with the powers he was still nuanced before 5 where they went over the top theatrical with him, and ultimately wasted him in the end. Regardless, he had always been a fan favorite despite how divisive 5 was. It's too late to bring him back again though, yeah.

I mean with how much the remakes now have changed some of the lore of the original games, you could still say it's convoluted. I knew what I was getting with RE5 and 6 at least (and yeah it did get fanfictiony by the latter point), but the remake of 3 destroyed the classic's legacy.

Adam Grimes
I wouldn't go as far as to say REmake 3 destroyed the original's legacy.

It was pretty much what OG RE3 was back in 99, a short but sweet action game that was not quite as good as it's predecessor. You could argue that REmake 3 was an even bigger step down from REmake 2 than classic 3 was to 2, but from what I read about it growing up, the sentiment/backlash at the time was pretty much the same lol.

StyleTime
I beat the game last night. I suspect it will be on many people's Game of the Year list tbh.

It's pretty great. Highly recommended if you like Resident Evil. (Again, find the right difficulty setting for you though.)

Ethan is still utter trash though, and that doesn't change in 8. thumb up

I am so glad he dies for good.

Ridley_Prime
Like with 7, I could see myself giving this game a shot when it's on sale at some point if nothing else. Good to hear though.

I wouldn't go as far as to say REmake 3 destroyed the original's legacy.

It was pretty much what OG RE3 was back in 99, a short but sweet action game that was not quite as good as it's predecessor. You could argue that REmake 3 was an even bigger step down from REmake 2 than classic 3 was to 2, but from what I read about it growing up, the sentiment/backlash at the time was pretty much the same lol.
There's no denying that the original 3 had room for improvement, which the remake could've provided and enhanced the game with, but instead of adding, it took away content (sections of the campaign, mercenaries, etc) that the original had and being shorter overall. For a game that was already criticized for being short, I don't know how you can defend what we got from RE3 2020 like that.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Wesker was a legitimately good villain to be fair, who had better buildup in the previous games than how 5 handled him. Even with the powers he was still nuanced before 5 where they went over the top theatrical with him, and ultimately wasted him in the end. Regardless, he had always been a fan favorite despite how divisive 5 was. It's too late to bring him back again though, yeah.

I mean with how much the remakes now have changed some of the lore of the original games, you could still say it's convoluted. I knew what I was getting with RE5 and 6 at least (and yeah it did get fanfictiony by the latter point), but the remake of 3 destroyed the classic's legacy.

I agree, Wesker was fine in the earlier games, but was entirely ruined in 5. Like I said, once you remove the mystery in these games a lot of the magic is gone, and 5 removed his mystery and just made him into a goofy 3rd rate Final Fantasy villain. One of the things I appreciate about 7 (and I assume 8) is that it's injecting some much needed mystery back into the series.

Another fair point about the remakes making the lore more convoluted. I guess it comes down to whether the remakes or the originals are considered canon now.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
For a game that was already criticized for being short, I don't know how you can defend what we got from RE3 2020 like that. Mmh I'm not defending it. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Nemesis X
The OG RE3 is a treasure and it's remake is one of the biggest scams of this franchise's history.

Anyways, Capcom accused now of plagiarism. A film director saying they took his monster. Spoilers of the creature in question if you wanna click the links below.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-10-movie-director-says-capcom-copied-his-propellerhead-monster-for-resident-evil-village-boss-fight

https://twitter.com/RichRaaphorst/status/1391653582282412032

StyleTime
I've said my thoughts on R3make before, but I still think there's a difference between disappointing and bad.

It was still a good game. Just didn't quite capture our imaginations like the original Nemesis did.

Nemesis X
5 & 6 I'd sooner replay! It's one thing to change the camera & gameplay time to time, that I'm fine with, but the appeal of RE3 was it's exploration and the hunter that freely stalks in that explored world. The remake is a moment-to-moment action fest stripped of what could've made it like the original but put enough CoD explosions in it's place and the kids will eat that up so no wonder the consensus looks overall positive.

edit: too late to edit, I know what you posted bruh.

-Pr-
I'm still amazed they switched the Nemesis and Mr. X. In the original 2, Mr. X was heavily scripted, and didn't roam the map looking for you. In 3, Nemesis was scripted, sure, but he could follow you through doors and such. He felt like he was always there, waiting to jump you.

The remake... it ****ing swapped them.

Nemesis X
Not to mention how unfaithful the remake is to the original's story. Before, Brad Vickers would serve as the buildup for Nemesis when he made his debut but here Banana Vest gets offed by a bunch of zombies he could've easily avoided getting bit from.

StyleTime
5 & 6 I'd sooner replay! It's one thing to change the camera & gameplay time to time, that I'm fine with, but the appeal of RE3 was it's exploration and the hunter that freely stalks in that explored world. The remake is a moment-to-moment action fest stripped of what could've made it like the original but put enough CoD explosions in it's place and the kids will eat that up so no wonder the consensus looks overall positive.

edit: too late to edit, I know what you posted bruh.
I thought it detracted too much from what I was saying about R3make, so I edited.

I didn't want to totally go down a hole talking about 5 and 6 lol.

I'd chalk some of that up to modern tech too though. I think everyone forgets the original RE3 was pretty action oriented too. It was just somewhat reigned in by the tank controls, stationary camera, and other Capcom survival horror tropes of the day.

I see it like this-- as a remake, it's a bit subpar. It fails to actually remake RE3 with the faithfulness we'd like.

As an individual game, it's pretty good though. Totally worth buying.
I'm still amazed they switched the Nemesis and Mr. X. In the original 2, Mr. X was heavily scripted, and didn't roam the map looking for you. In 3, Nemesis was scripted, sure, but he could follow you through doors and such. He felt like he was always there, waiting to jump you.

The remake... it ****ing swapped them.
I absolutely agree.

That is part of what made everyone fall in love with Nemesis from the original. Now, Mr. X has become the new icon. Tons of videos and fan material made about him.

StyleTime
The OG RE3 is a treasure and it's remake is one of the biggest scams of this franchise's history.

Anyways, Capcom accused now of plagiarism. A film director saying they took his monster. Spoilers of the creature in question if you wanna click the links below.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-10-movie-director-says-capcom-copied-his-propellerhead-monster-for-resident-evil-village-boss-fight

https://twitter.com/RichRaaphorst/status/1391653582282412032
I don't totally know what to make of it. It's possible someone at Capcom saw it and the idea made its way into Resident Evil. Sturm's design is definitely similar to his Propellerhead creature. I'll grant him that.

But this guy has also been accused of borrowing Bioshock, Wolfenstein, and Silent Hill designs.

It's hard to be original these days, and there's a difference between being inspired by something and blatantly plagiarizing it.

BackFire
I never finished the original RE3. In fact never really got very far in it. I just played the remake and thought it was pretty fun. But I agree they kinda made nemesis lousy which was too bad.

Nemesis X
If my avatar & sig I've had for over a decade here didn't give it away, I'm a huge nerd for RE3 and was excited that if they could do RE2make justice, nothing could go wrong for 3 as long as the same amount of effort's put in but guess that was too much to ask for the team Capcom hired on the sideline. Really couldn't just wait for Kazunori and Yasuhiro (the directors) to finish 2 and work on that next could they? I would've gladly waited an extra 2-3 years for it 'cause I'd be at least assured somebody who takes the fans of the originals into consideration is making it. Good for some of you who like it but it's not impossible to appeal to both the old & new generations and keeping most of the OG material intact and RE2make is a testament to that.

BackFire
I think they definitely could have done a much better job. One of the biggest problems in that game is that there's no real central location that you kind of associate with the entire game. Like RE1 has the mansion, RE2 has the police department. RE3 was just a hodgepodge of different locations and you didn't stay in any of them long enough for any of them to make much of a lasting impression. My favorite area was when you're out on the streets of racoon city. I wish they'd have made that part longer.

Smasandian
Never played RE3 when it came out so I have nothing to compare it too....but the remake is good.

Could be better for sure but I think it's solid. However, I think they game should of been half the price when released....though RE2 Remake was also short.

Ridley_Prime
RE2make had decent length considering the number of times the game incentivized you to play through with both Leon and Claire for 100% completion. If they had done something more along the lines of that for Jill and Carlos in the remake of 3 (the latter being one of few positives of it) in having their separate campaigns, it would have been a satisfactory product just like 2 was.

I wont say there is nothing to like about RE3 2020 with what we got, but such a halfassed remake that made worse of a game that needed improving should be held with more contempt than even 5 and 6. Low bar, but I too would sooner replay those than that incomplete game I still cant believe I paid $60 for.

Smasandian
I might differ than others but I don't think replaying the game (even with slight changes) should be considered in length.

You are right about RE3...its too short and was too much. I think I paid $20 bucks, which I think is reasonable for that length.

BackFire
Just finished the castle area.

Yeah, so far I'm super digging this game. Really enjoying the gameplay and atmosphere. Enemy variety is also far superior to RE7 as well.

Also the Duke is awesome. Love him.

Smasandian
Yeah. I agree, the enemy variety is significantly better than RE7.

And I'm not getting the vibe of all action at all...this plays pretty much the same as RE7.....its still slow, plodding along. It's definitely not as action oriented as RE4.

BackFire
Yeah it's mostly exploration. I guess it's more action in that in this game when a confrontation occurs you have the weapons and ammo to kill the thing instead of trying to avoid the battle, and to some that may make the game less scary since running from something is scarier than killing it, and be able to do so makes you feel stronger. But that is fine with me. Horror games can go either route and be good. RE4 expected you to largely kill your enemies and it's considered the best in the series. The dead space games you're expected to kill the creatures you encounter. The horror comes from atmosphere for the most part, and this game nails that.

StyleTime
I might differ than others but I don't think replaying the game (even with slight changes) should be considered in length.

You are right about RE3...its too short and was too much. I think I paid $20 bucks, which I think is reasonable for that length.
I can see that somewhat.

But R2make also gave us several DLC campaigns too, which expands that length a bit. It wasn't just the switching around the A/B scenarios.

R3make gave us none of that. They put everything into that Resistance game, which didn't quite catch on.

I also got R3make on sale, which felt appropriate. Resistance was baked into the original price a little, so not playing that means you're losing value. I don't think it was the best move from them.

Sad thing is, I love RE for being willing to experiment, unlike other major titles. But they tried to re-invent the wheel here. Dead by Daylight and Identity V already showed us how proper Asymmetrical horror should be done. I wish they'd have used that blue print, but with Resident Evil characters.

I'd be down for that.

Nemesis X
Speaking of Dead by Daylight, I really hope it's not Dimitrescu's daughters who are the Killers but man that 5th Anniversary logo really does look like a sickle don't it?

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1389656155941527552

People have compared it looking like the 3 in the OG RE3 title however that looks like a sickle too.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_3:_Nemesis

Nemesis & Pyramid Head in the same game would be so cool.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>