Myth of the welfare state?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Conservatives complain all the time about all these handouts for people
Well, where the hell are they, because I could use some now. (Assisted living for the elderly is only afforable if you're very well off.)

If there's all these handouts, then why are there so many homeless? If there's handouts, why would anyone live in a ghetto, or end their lives in a shitty nursing home?

What's their definition of handout, anyone? Shelters for the poor? So they should freeze to.death in colder weather? Or maybe food stamps? Sure, let them starve.

The funny thing is, when some of these same conservatives fall on bad times, they access a service. I know one guy that had a kid with down syndrome. He ranted for years against anyone who couldn't take care of themselves, but do you think he said "Nah, I'll take care of my own. No help for this family."

I donated some money myself to him, when he was asking.

"Welfare state" my ass.

Badabing
Since the war on poverty started in 1967, the poverty rate went from 19-20% down to 15-16% in the US. In 1967, the population was about 200 million in the US and now it's 325 million. The number of US citizens in poverty per percentage stats has dropped but the overall number of US citizens in poverty has remained similar, or slightly increased in the last 50 years.

The main problem is that the US has spent $20 Trillion in the past 50 years to combat poverty yet little headway has been made. So where has all the money gone? It would have been better to just give the money to those in poverty than to set up a bunch of systems, committees, programs, housing, etc. Seems there is a lot of "misappropriated" *cough* theft*cough* funds that have not made it to those in need. So that's my problem with the welfare state.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.