Can I delete facebook and move on?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
How can you reasonably delete facebook and move on with your life but not be sad about losing connections with people you have known a long time but you might not talk to regularly.

Surtur
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
How can you reasonably delete facebook and move on with your life but not be sad about losing connections with people you have known a long time but you might not talk to regularly.

Instead of deleting it why not just check in on your FB once a month?

dadudemon
Simple: do it.

I did it.

I may never be able to talk to some of my family members again. I have no way to contact them but through Facebook connection.

It's a sad loss. But I got little value from most Facebook posts.

It's the same for you, most likely.

Free up your time. Read the news when you poop.

Bashar Teg

mass-message them your contact info, and in a couple of weeks follow instructions to delete (not disable) your account. wait those weeks, because when your click to delete account all your shit vanishes off the internet including other people's wall posts and PMs, and so your contact info messages will also vanish. takes like 30 days before it fully deletes, so make sure you delete cookies so you dont sign in by accident. i ditched them as well. facebook is garbage and if you're really ditching it too, i applaud your decision thumb up

Robtard
Pfft, just do what I do. Only use facebook to send happy birthday wishes. I probably read/see about 1-2 posts a month.

But in the chance you need to contact someone you have no other means to, it's there.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Robtard
Pfft, just do what I do. Only use facebook to send happy birthday wishes. I probably read/see about 1-2 posts a month.

But in the chance you need to contact someone you have no other means to, it's there.

you are mark zuckerberg's butt-slave. a product to be mined for personal info by literally any company who wants to have their way with your anus.

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
Simple: do it.

I did it.

I may never be able to talk to some of my family members again. I have no way to contact them but through Facebook connection.

It's a sad loss. But I got little value from most Facebook posts.

It's the same for you, most likely.

Free up your time. Read the news when you poop.

This seems rather extreme, why not just use FB sparingly?

Robtard
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
you are mark zuckerberg's butt-slave. a product to be mined for personal info by literally any company who wants to have their way with your anus.

Sweet.

The amount of personal info Facebook can get from me is very limited and is public info anyways. eg My name.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Surtur

Because its a pile of garbage designed to hook people and then sell their info.

BrolyBlack
mass-message them your contact info, and in a couple of weeks follow instructions to delete (not disable) your account. wait those weeks, because when your click to delete account all your shit vanishes off the internet including other people's wall posts and PMs, and so your contact info messages will also vanish. takes like 30 days before it fully deletes, so make sure you delete cookies so you dont sign in by accident. i ditched them as well. facebook is garbage and if you're really ditching it too, i applaud your decision thumb up

I'm def doing it, that's why I am asking the best way forward and doing it the proper way. I have already downloaded all my pictures.

Im just nervous about hitting the delete button.

Also a lot of things have been made easier with the "fb sign in" but now that Google / Amazon has that function its easier

I like the idea of sending everyone my contact info, but I doubt I will even be in contact with many of them.

FB is really a joke

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Robtard
Sweet.

The amount of personal info Facebook can get from me is very limited and is public info anyways. eg My name.

it doesn't matter. you are product #11445007. you don't have to sign in.

your wall posts and private messages are also their products to sell as they please

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/19/facebook-shared-user-data-private-messages-netflix-spotify-amazon-microsoft-sony

Robtard
it doesn't matter. you are product #11445007. you don't have to sign in.

your wall posts and private messages are also their products

Sweet.

As noted, I don't post anymore (for some time now) other than to say "happy birthday!". No pictures of myself or family, no social comments, no political comments, no pictures of what I purchased or ate or how I'm feeling about the weather. So if they want to mine me for "happy birthday" comments, they can.

Bashar Teg
the very existance of your account is part what they are selling. as far as the PM's pretty sure they're not selling per-word or per member.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur

I didn't use it. And there was no value.

How is my response extreme?

BrolyBlack
Because they have convinced him that not having facebook is extreme

Putinbot1
mass-message them your contact info, and in a couple of weeks follow instructions to delete (not disable) your account. wait those weeks, because when your click to delete account all your shit vanishes off the internet including other people's wall posts and PMs, and so your contact info messages will also vanish. takes like 30 days before it fully deletes, so make sure you delete cookies so you dont sign in by accident. i ditched them as well. facebook is garbage and if you're really ditching it too, i applaud your decision thumb up I ditched it 5 years ago, I would never go back.

Eon Blue
Facebook is ridiculous.

Surtur
Because they have convinced him that not having facebook is extreme

No, I don't use FB. But when people are saying "I have family members I'll never talk to again without FB" that is weird to me. I'd probably be on FB if that was my situation.

BrolyBlack
I need some more moral encouragement to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

MythLord
Have you tried moving to Instagram?

Flyattractor
I need some more moral encouragement to do this.

Boy are you in the WRONG PLACE!

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by MythLord
Have you tried moving to Instagram?

I am on instagram.

MythLord
I am on instagram.
All settled then. Thanks to DMs now having video chats Instagram is essentially a new Facebook, just far less politics involved, and a lot more meme pages.

BrolyBlack

Surtur
But Facebook gives you access to many features some consider to be...unnatural.

BrolyBlack

Surtur
Yes..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.