Would we still fear death if we knew what came after it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Basically, if we knew exactly what came after it. Heaven, hell, nothingness, reincarnation, etc.

Do you think we'd be less or more afraid if we knew what came after?

Bentley
So in this scenario something happens after death?

Jmanghan
From what we've learned so far, the nothingness should be almost a non-factor at this point, science has proven that our consciousness lives on after our deaths on some level.

Silent Master
You don't know what happens after death?

MythLord
Originally posted by Jmanghan
From what we've learned so far, the nothingness should be almost a non-factor at this point, science has proven that our consciousness lives on after our deaths on some level.
It has? Based on what?

Anyways, it depends on what actually does come after it.

SamZED
I don't believe this has been proven outside of few very questionable theories by certain individuals with heavy religious biases.
Afaik there's no evidence whatsoever that anything that makes a person.. well.. a person remains after the body/brain is dead. If science did indeed prove it I imagine it'd ruin a weekend for several outspoken atheist scientists.

And to answer the question, yes, we would still fear it. I am pretty certain that when I die I won't know that i'm dead, but toss me out of a window and i'll still sht myself. Takes a certain state of mind to not be freaked out by the fact that everything you've ever known/remembered/loved will be lost to you. That's why fanatics who think they're 100% going to heaven are less scared.

Mindship
You Can't Take It With You ... that's gonna freak some people out, regardless.

Bentley
I think fear of death is a natural reaction that is meant to keep us alive, so unless we are able to force reason to overcome our survival instinct, we'd remain mostly untouched.

And considered how many people can't even live traumatized by their sex impulses and various frustrations I think the chances of rationally overcoming this are slim.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
You Can't Take It With You ... that's gonna freak some people out, regardless.

The ancient Egyptians tried though stick out tongue

Flyattractor
If it turns out to be the Beetlejuice After Life and I have to get a job.... I am gonna be Pissed.

Adam_PoE
Y'all need to watch Martyrs.

Flyattractor
Martyrs has proof of what happens after death?

mike brown
The question really depends on what it is that happens after death. I'd be less afraid of being reincarnated into some dumb animal than I would of having the devil shove hot coal up my ass for all eternity.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bentley
So in this scenario something happens after death?

https://futurism.com/brian-cox-if-ghosts-existed-wed-have-found-evidence-for-them-by-now/

It kind of disproved the soul as a construct to be honest.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Y'all need to watch Martyrs.

Saw the French version.

It's quite pretentious at times. One of the most horrific movies I've ever seen. Not horrific in a "this is bad" but psychological horror is there.

But I did enjoy it.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
Saw the French version.

It's quite pretentious at times. One of the most horrific movies I've ever seen. Not horrific in a "this is bad" but psychological horror is there.

But I did enjoy it. never watched it but will.

gauntlet o doom
I think fear of death can be overcome if we knew exactly what was waiting for us when it happens. Besides the probable pain that you'd experience and the actual last breath that you take; I believe it's more not knowing what happens afterwards that scares all people. People used to be scared of solar eclipses until we had more information. People used to be scared of the dark and of fire; now, not so much. If we were 100% certain that death was something we agreed with it'd probably assuage a lot of fears. That being said, if it was just nothingness, I think that'd scare a lot of people too.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by gauntlet o doom
I think fear of death can be overcome if we knew exactly what was waiting for us when it happens. Besides the probable pain that you'd experience and the actual last breath that you take; I believe it's more not knowing what happens afterwards that scares all people. People used to be scared of solar eclipses until we had more information. People used to be scared of the dark and of fire; now, not so much. If we were 100% certain that death was something we agreed with it'd probably assuage a lot of fears. That being said, if it was just nothingness, I think that'd scare a lot of people too. I still have a healthy fear of fire.

gauntlet o doom
^ Well, a healthy fear is different to cowering at the site of a campfire.

Lestov16
IMO, the unfalsifiability of the afterlife is one of, if not, the most important aspects to living. For those who believe in an afterlife, they live their lives and form their metaphysical beliefs around what they believe must be done to ensure a good eternal life. For those who don't believe in the afterlife, the oblivion of death turns their life into a limited hourglass of limitless possibilities, in which time is the ultimate currency and every decision is subconsciously driven by the question "do I want to waste my limited lifespan doing this, or should I use my limited time to do something more fulfilling?" As such, the xenophobic fear of death is arguably the biggest requirement for living a fulfilled life. Knowing what lies beyond death could potentially ruin that, IMO at least, so I desire not to know.

Ultimately, living a good life is like reading a good story, IMO. Would you rather have spoilers, or would you rather experience all the twists and turns as they happen? The mystery of death is life's greatest exhilaration.

Surtur
There are psychics out there who know about the afterlife and still fear death.

Lestov16
Lawls. There is nobody on the planet who know what the afterlife is like. "Psychics" are either insane, intoxicated, and/or scam artists.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.