Is it okay for people to be offended by certain jokes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
In your opinion.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Jmanghan
In your opinion. No. :3

Emperordmb
Yes, what I generally disagree with though is people attaching some sort of authority to their offense, or unduly butting in where they aren't involved.

By all means be offended by whatever you like, but as a general rule don't be a joke policing *****.

Though I don't think it's unreasonable for you to be outraged by people meming your dead father.

Robtard
Fair enough assessment, DMB, can't say I really disagree.

Emperordmb
I'll give an example. I have a black friend and a bisexual friend who are close friends with each other, and they'll banter around and roast each other for being black and bisexual respectively, say things that would be construed by some as offensive, but for them it's all in good fun, neither seriously means what they're saying, and neither person takes offense to this.

It would be inappropriate for someone to hear about this conversation and act like they have victimized someone for behaving in a way acceptable to the standards they have socially negotiated with each other in their friendship.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I'll give an example. I have a black friend and a bisexual friend who are close friends with each other, and they'll banter around and roast each other for being black and bisexual respectively, say things that would be construed by some as offensive, but for them it's all in good fun, neither seriously means what they're saying, and neither person takes offense to this.

It would be inappropriate for someone to hear about this conversation and act like they have victimized someone for behaving in a way acceptable to the standards they have socially negotiated with each other in their friendship. Made this thread because I was in a discord server where the phrase "guys don't come to school tomorrow" kept being said. I left the server lol.

Dmb dude I'm not sure if you were always like this and I just never realize but I feel in some way you've really grown as a person, or maybe I have, but either way, good on ya.

Putinbot1
Sure

I'd worry about anyone who didn't think Roy chubby brown was a prick

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/roy-chubby-brown-wants-blacklisting-14877617.amp& amp;ved=2ahUKEwjH4eaQ8N3gAhXcAmMBHToiBI0QFjAEegQIB
BAB&usg=AOvVaw3MPQGp4R6LO_MvHSJb8ctT&ampcf=1

Bentley
You can be offended by jokes sure.

SquallX

Surtur
In your opinion.

A person can be offended by anything they want. You could be offended by the color of the sky if you wish.

What you don't get to do is translate your offense into stupid shit. A tv show offends you? Don't watch it, but also don't try to get it cancelled...since, just because *you* don't enjoy it doesn't mean nobody else does.

mike brown
Oldie but goodie

fjIuPSuYSOY

This reminds of Dave Chappelle saying in one of his most recent (2017) Netflix specials that he was gonna take a break from comedy for a while because the whole country is turning into a bunch of "b*tch ass niggas."

Surtur
Woah woah woah how dare he call me, a white male, the N word.

That's f*cking violence.

samhain
Yes, what I generally disagree with though is people attaching some sort of authority to their offense, or unduly butting in where they aren't involved.

By all means be offended by whatever you like, but as a general rule don't be a joke policing *****.

Though I don't think it's unreasonable for you to be outraged by people meming your dead father.

Spot on.

gold slorg

jaden_2.0
ceS_jkKjIgo

SamZED
In your opinion.
Offended yes. Have the right to physically force you to stop joking? No. One of the biggest problems I have with certain liberals.

Originally posted by mike brown
Oldie but goodie

fjIuPSuYSOY

This reminds of Dave Chappelle saying in one of his most recent (2017) Netflix specials that he was gonna take a break from comedy for a while because the whole country is turning into a bunch of "b*tch ass niggas."
GOAT thumb up RIP Patrice.

mike brown
"She doesn't represent the nappy headed hoe part..
Just the hoe."

MythLord
Sure it is. You can't anyone's freedom of speech away because of it, though.
The intent and timing of the joke is important, I believe. Certain jokes are dark jokes and when told well, are a brighter/funnier way to look at otherwise awful situation. A nice coping mechanism.
But then there's instances where it's absolutely reasonable to me mad, like when someone makes jokes behind your back in poor taste.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.