Doom: Annihilation (2019)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
The first time I saw the Rock/Karl Urban version I didn't mind it, but it didn't hold up when I watched it again. People seem to be ripping this to shreds. It seems they might have effed it up again...

bkhXSLmRbiE

steverules_2
Phuck even DOOM guy isn't safe and becomes DOOM lady

Why can't they just make a first person shooter movie kicking demon ass? It's not hard

Even id software want nothing to do with this:

Robtard
Looks shit

Kazenji
Looks garbage....C-Grade level movie.

jaden_2.0
Can anyone say "straight to the SyFy channel"?

Kazenji
The movie is so bad...ID software doesn't want anything to do with it

https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/03/12/doom-studio-makes-very-clear-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-new-doom-movie

steverules_2
Literally already said that

Originally posted by steverules_2
Phuck even DOOM guy isn't safe and becomes DOOM lady

Why can't they just make a first person shooter movie kicking demon ass? It's not hard

Even id software want nothing to do with this:

Kazenji
Good for you....do you want award now?

steverules_2
Originally posted by Kazenji
Good for you....do you want award now?

Yes no expression

BruceSkywalker
no thanks

Ridley_Prime
Tweet from the lead actress of this 'film'.

https://twitter.com/amymansonlondon/status/997813507713327105?s=21

Everyone needs Doomguy apparently... Gotta love how taking potshots at the source material like that to garner attention pretty much always backfires.

And yeah, this pretty much makes the 2005 Doom movie look like a masterpiece. Apart from making the demons out to be some science experiment gone wrong instead of denizens of hell, it was dumb fun at least along with the cast (Dwayne Johnson, Karl Urban, etc), but this has utter shite production value with no one remarkable of note involved. It's a Uwe Boll level movie or worse.

Tzeentch
Looks like utter dogshit.

That said, all the stupid people in the world will say that the problem here is Doomguy being a Doomgirl instead, despite the Karl Urban one being dogshit as well, but the actual problem is that no one in Hollywood has any idea how to film action setpieces in the manic and visceral manner that you'd need to do a game like Doom justice. The problem is always the same: it's too slow. A scene of some chick shaking a gun at the camera and then cutting to a zombie falling down won't cut it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by steverules_2
Why can't they just make a first person shooter movie kicking demon ass? It's not hard Originally posted by Tzeentch
Looks like utter dogshit.

That said, all the stupid people in the world will say that the problem here is Doomguy being a Doomgirl instead, despite the Karl Urban one being dogshit as well, but the actual problem is that no one in Hollywood has any idea how to film action setpieces in the manic and visceral manner that you'd need to do a game like Doom justice. The problem is always the same: it's too slow. A scene of some chick shaking a gun at the camera and then cutting to a zombie falling down won't cut it.

That seems about right. Why not hire the guy who directed Hardcore Henry to direct? There's your first-person perspective right there. Of course then you'd need some A-list horror production design, but you know..

Ridley_Prime
This is gonna be a direct to DVD thing anyway, not a theatrical release, and the budget (or lack thereof) shows. Thought about making a thread for this here before I saw this one made but it didn't even seem worth it. It's gonna be quickly forgotten.

Kazenji
There has been some good direct to DVD movies but this movie an't gonna be one of them.

quanchi112
Doom the game never impressed me. This sounds even worse than the game. Glad I am not a fan.

Ridley_Prime
There has been some good direct to DVD movies but this movie an't gonna be one of them.
Yeah, so as it is, only makes me more thankful for the upcoming Doom Eternal, which fans will just wait to experience that instead of stopping by to watch this trainwreck.

steverules_2
Originally posted by quanchi112
Doom the game never impressed me. This sounds even worse than the game. Glad I am not a fan.

Well no one plays DOOM for the story, there's not much story to the DOOM games

Ridley_Prime
It has some interesting background lore, at least from the Doom 3 era and onward, which the 2005 movie paid homage to with showing artifacts and stuff of the deceased ancient martian civilization.

The first film was subpar, yes, but have to give it credit for the few things it did right, which will probably be more than can said for Annihilation. Hey, you know what other video game film followup that sucked hard and had a similar title? Mortal Kombat Annihilation! Because they annihilate what was good about the source material!

Kazenji
Doom 1, 2 & Final Doom did have story to it, But it wasn't story driven like alot of the newer FPS these days

had the background info in the instruction booklet.

steverules_2

Kazenji
Story from the game manual

https://archive.org/details/DoomManualPC/page/n2

sotabaka
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Can anyone say "straight to the SyFy channel"?

What has SyFylys done to you ?

Kazenji
Looks a little better then that first teaser

eAXvu22EcUs

Oliver Brown

Totally agree with you on this. These days we have so many movies like this.

Patient_Leech
So I watched this and actually rather enjoyed it despite (or perhaps BECAUSE of?) the low budget, made-for-TV feel of it.

Almost ashamed to admit it, but fu#k it, it's some brainless fun and is actually filmed reasonably well.

I'd say I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy the Starship Troopers sequels.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
So I watched this and actually rather enjoyed it despite (or perhaps BECAUSE of?) the low budget, made-for-TV feel of it.

Almost ashamed to admit it, but fu#k it, it's some brainless fun and is actually filmed reasonably well.

I'd say I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy the Starship Troopers sequels.

How is it compared to the 2004 film?

Patient_Leech
You mean the 2005 film with The Rock and Karl Urban?

It's lower budget, but not necessarily in a bad way.

And it doesn't try to rely on movie star power because there are no stars in it.

steverules_2
That was 2005? Shit I'm getting all my movie years mixed up lately

Kazenji
I guess with this one it at least has actual demon's.

Ridley_Prime
Gvdw9iTbUY4

Hard pass. This made the BFG in the 2005 film look epic by comparison, and all it pretty much had were Imps and zombies, while the 2005 film had Hell Knights and more other demons. Sure, the Hell bits and Betruger was nice (even if he looked nothing like in Doom 3), but it seems there was more parts in the first film to enjoy, star power aside.

Not quite as bad as I thought going by the review, but still.

Kazenji
Still going to check the film out myself when it's released on dvd

wasn't a fan of the 2005 movie.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I initially sort of liked the 2005 film just as sort of a guilty pleasure, but when I tried to watch it again it wasn't so good.

Esau Cairn
I just remember there wasn't any likeable characters in the 2005 film.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I just remember there wasn't any likeable characters in the 2005 film.

That sounds about right. That's likely why I didn't care for it the second time.

Ridley_Prime
IDK, Reaper was cool.

This film is no prize itself though, just like a certain Mortal Kombat movie with Annihilation in the title.

If the Joanna character was really named after/inspired by Joanna Dark, then they may as well have done an attempt of a Perfect Dark film instead.

steverules_2

Flyattractor
Has that Version with the Female DoomGal been made yet?

Nemesis X
They really should've had Joana solo this movie like a real Doom Marine would if we're really gonna be true to the games. I don't like either movie throwing the main character in a group but at least 2005's squad was more fleshed out in comparison to Annihilation's.

You know what else the 2005 film had Annihilation lacked? A good, long fluid first person sequence.

-Jf-E7oEguU

But you know what would blow both DOOM movies out of the water? If they made an hour and a half long DOOM movie viewed entirely in first person. "Impossible" one will say. "Nobody will sit through that" if they hate fun. It can happen! Hardcore Henry! Look it up!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

This film is no prize itself though, just like a certain Mortal Kombat movie with Annihilation in the title.

Well obviously gotta lower your expection's with this movie with it being a straight to dvd movie, That helps with it going by the reviews that i've seen

Don't get it until Novemeber, I guess i could import it.

Kazenji
Civvie 11's review, Gotta watch it on Bitchute as it got blocked by Universal on Youtube

https://www.bitchute.com/video/1KwM3HAKj9Fo/?fbclid=IwAR1Jl2AymIKD4tQ0GjgFHc2XWHR-k1uSQtj6w4FJAQRwYZdomSQ053bEghA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.