Dragon's Dogma: The Anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
WHAT THE HELL? This came out of nowhere, holy crap.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/anime-production-line-deal

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/12/18261538/capcom-dragons-dogma-netflix-anime

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-12-netflix-announces-dragons-dogma-anime

RSyHDw2JiGA

xR_eVOCHQSI

I'm getting it even if it's bad, anything that expands the lore is okay in my book.

Can anyone tell me if these anime are any good?: https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1892/Sublimation

I'm hoping so, cause these are the guys making it, lol.

Jmanghan
We all know what the opening's going to be:

ZHuxBr0FS_E

The SONG, at least.

ares834
It's going to be CG and on Netflix. Don't get excited, it will likely be terrible.

NewGuy01
Only one of those has even been released. erm

And as far as I can tell, even the one that has been released could only have been watched during some obscure film festival in Korea. erm

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Only one of those has even been released. erm

And as far as I can tell, even the one that has been released could only have been watched during some obscure film festival in Korea. erm Rip.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
It's going to be CG and on Netflix. Don't get excited, it will likely be terrible.

HsgC-KFm66U

Also, people REALLY like RWBY, from what I've seen.

NewGuy01
"people" no

ares834
Originally posted by Jmanghan
HsgC-KFm66U

Also, people REALLY like RWBY, from what I've seen.

There are only a handful of decent CG anime out there. The fact that this has the double whammy of being both CG and Netflix produced almost guarantees it to be awful. Have you seen any of Netflix's CG anime, it's all pretty terrible.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
"people" no

thumb up

Jmanghan
Could've been ****in gurren lagann without the mech's (like it was in the game), but they give us... this: "Based on a world-famous action RPG set in an open world, Dragon's Dogma from Capcom will be brought to life as a Netflix original anime series. The story follows a man's journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an 'Arisen.' An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans."

Jmanghan
I'm trying to hold out hope but its worrying.

Jmanghan
https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1283191069501530119
https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1283181094989295616
https://www.netflix.com/title/80992784

...but like... ****ing ETHAN?...

https://i.imgur.com/sMbkhyn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/koU54RL.jpg

ares834
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ec7Ped9WoAYUcie?format=jpg&name=large

Oh no no no! laughing

Jmanghan
Ik.

What is it with companies trying to revolutionize anime with this dumbass CGI?

2D in anime will always objectively look better then 3D.

NewGuy01
It's also far more expensive to make.

Jmanghan
Even if its super well-done and such, it'd almost always look better in 2D.

Imagine if One Punch Man was in CGI? Holy shit lmao.

Jmanghan
Trailer:

ngebNhckOc8

That Dragon voice is awful, it was perfect before, besides that...

The dialogue looks weak, certain aspects of the animation look shoddy, but thankfully better then Berserk 2016-2017, though not by much.

I really wish this was gonna be good, but it's going to suck, and the studio making it is gonna question why, as if they're surprised.

Jmanghan
So... How is it? I don't have Netflix but might watch it another way.

Ridley_Prime
From first episode impressions, it's alright. Like how it has kind of a similar art/animation style to the Castlevania show, but with a little 3D mixed in. The monster stuff is cool like with Gregori.

Astner
Couldn't get further than the half of the second episode. It's pure CGI, but the conflicts seem a lot more contrived than in the game.

Jmanghan
The first few episodes are shit, a lot of weird decisions by Ethan.

That said, it's hard to explain, but it gripped me eventually.

The monsters are AWFUL-LOOKING but the people? They're actually alright, not great, but far FAR better then Berserk was.

That ending left a sad feeling in my stomach though, jesus that sucked, in a good way.

They were really trying to drive home that this was "Dark" fantasy as well, there's themes of rape kind of paying tribute to Goblin Slayer in that regard, I don't think I need to explain more, and a child gets eaten on-screen in the first episode.

This was honestly VERY faithful to the source material, aside from towns and areas from the games being much larger then normal, they do mention and show towns from the original source material, and the Arisen in this show looks exactly the same as the one from the games, the monsters are also pretty spot-on.

The fight scenes were ass, Ethan is a complete joke as a fighter. Speaking of him, you expect him to show some skill but he consistently is quite bland in the beginning and sucks as a fighter to the point he is unable to defeat one wolf, and he never speaks up or stops/kills someone when you expect him to later on, it's extremely annoying, like with Hannah when they first met, I expected Ethan to throw the band at the wall or grab her aggressively after the stuff she said. The only genuinely cool fight scene was against the Hydra, he was completely useless against the Griffin.

Ethan is also kind of a douche, he nearly let this hot chick cheat on her husband with him, I was genuinely looking at the screen like "so... are you gonna stop her anytime soon?" But he doesn't, the husband notices them and only then do they stop. He becomes a douche later on but that's because of his... random-ass rage-filled power-up. Bringing back up his "not speaking up", there's a scene where thugs come into this family's house while Ethan's there, you expect him to **** shit up or wait till they go back to their lair or whatever then do it, but nope, dude is too civil with villains for a dark fantasy protagonist. Going back to the Hydra episode, that's where he was at his best, personality-wise.

Characters end up dying in really stupid ways. You'll always be asking yourself "why?" because it honestly feels forced when a side character dies for plot purposes.

I really enjoyed some of the music, which was apparently done by the original game's music producer, which makes sense, Dogma has some kick-ass music.

I actually did like the later half of the show, it wasn't as ass as bad as everyone expected it would be. I'd go as far as to say it is worth a watch, but maybe not worth buying later on or watching a second time.

I really enjoyed Hannah's development from an emotionless pawn into a strong sidekick, and she's kind of a bad-ass from the get-go. It's really Ethan who drags down this show, and the monster CGI. Hannah is great, some of the side characters are alright. Grigori, assuming you're watching the Japanese Dub, is also done pretty well.

Some of the side characters are pretty decent too. In Dragon's Dogma fashion, there is a big twist which is pretty shocking, it nearly brought me to tears, in a good way.

Anyway, hope ya'll enjoy it, it's not a horrible show by any means, it just makes a lot of mistakes (and it was too short, 7 episodes? I get it, but they could've done a "Gluttony part 2" or whatever to stretch it out instead of having so little time for character development.)

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Astner
Couldn't get further than the half of the second episode. It's pure CGI, but the conflicts seem a lot more contrived than in the game. It gets better. As a series it's above average, but only because of the later half.

Astner
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It gets better. As a series it's above average, but only because of the later half.
I doubt it because there are so many small elements that were straight-up stupid. In the game we see the dragon diving down the cyclone filled with harpies and he just devours one of them, which gives you a sense of how far up the food-chain the dragons are. The harpies are removed for some reason making the scene pointless.

And then there's the scene from the game where the dragon gets the sword stuck in the palm of his hand and that triggers him to curse the Arisen. The sword didn't even pierce his hide, which reinforces the idea of how far removed from mortals he really is. But in the anime the sword was embedded in his hand which gives you the idea that he can be killed by normal soldiers.

And the pawn situation was even more forced than it was in the game.

These are all minor things, but it shows that whoever directed this mess doesn't know how to write.

And the CGI looked horrible.

Ridley_Prime
Is pretty much a self-contained prequel to the games. In that vein, I enjoyed it.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Astner
I doubt it because there are so many small elements that were straight-up stupid. In the game we see the dragon diving down the cyclone filled with harpies and he just devours one of them, which gives you a sense of how far up the food-chain the dragons are. The harpies are removed for some reason making the scene pointless.

And then there's the scene from the game where the dragon gets the sword stuck in the palm of his hand and that triggers him to curse the Arisen. The sword didn't even pierce his hide, which reinforces the idea of how far removed from mortals he really is. But in the anime the sword was embedded in his hand which gives you the idea that he can be killed by normal soldiers.

And the pawn situation was even more forced than it was in the game.

These are all minor things, but it shows that whoever directed this mess doesn't know how to write.

And the CGI looked horrible.

They should've given us more explanation on pawns, at least they give you one in the game, I'll give you that.

This is an alternate universe version of DD, hell, the entire Dragon situation in the DD game is different.

In DD you only become the next Dragon if you lose the duel to the Seneschal, if you win you become the next Seneschal.

The CGI on the monsters looked horrible, the characters themselves genuinely do not look that bad. It could have been SO much worse, Berserk is a shining example of just how bad EVERYTHING can look, we're lucky, we just got the monsters.

Yes you could say that one of DD's original strengths was it's monster designs, and I agree, but that doesn't mean you overlook the stuff done to the other characters who look like they're in an actual anime and not some 90's CGI cartoon.

CGI was a bad choice, but they did ALRIGHT with the humans.

The anime, as I mentioned, was a let down power-wise and in terms of fight scenes, but that shouldn't take away for the story and characters.

I do wish we'd see more familiar locations and characters. They bring up Vestad Hills and the current Duke, but we never get to see either.

It was rushed, like I said, but what they got out of 7 episodes is impressive, to say the least.

We're lucky they were as faithful as they WERE, most shows like this aren't halfway similar to this.

Jmanghan
Idea for future seasons:

Season 1 was just a short prequel, it established Hannah as a character, set the "rules" for what happens and what you need to do to become a Dragon.

Season 2 starts the beginning of the real journey, Hannah is re-assigned to a brand new Arisen, they go on adventures for much longer, multiple seasons in fact, maybe the Arisen could be a female. Only this time Hannah does everything in her power to make sure this Arisen is led down the right path.

Hannah doesn't even need to necessarily be this Arisen's pawn, just a pawn that is "picked up" as a secondary pawn by said Arisen in true DD fashion. I hope we get to see more familiar creatures like Saurians, Ogres, and definitely Chimeras.

Maybe Hannah could act as a guide for her current pawn, help show the main pawn what could go wrong should the Arisen go down a dark path like Ethan did.

Now they have no excuse to keep the 7 episode format, should DD get a season 2.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.