The Big Cliffhanger

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Daft
Ok, this may have been discussed before, but I wanted to make a topic to hear some people's ideas about what the cliffhanger will be at the end of Episode 2. I mean we all know there's gonna be one, but what could it be?
I loved the cliffhanger at the end of TESB, with Han being taken away and everything, so let's hope the one in Episode 2 is even better!
It's likely to be largely to do with Anakin, and possibly his turn to the Dark Side, but a simple demonstration of him showing his Dark Side powers as he gradually begins to turn wouldn't be a particularly good cliffhanger - in fact, is that a cliff hanger at all?
But then I don't recall any other ideas for what will be happening at the end of Episode 2. Do any of you guys have any ideas?

Raz
I think we will see the Storm Troopers (clones) marching into war....with Palpatine and Tyranus overlooking them.....with the War continued in Ep3.

IGOTMYBEAT
Stormtroopers marching off isn't really a cliffhanger.

But I thought I read somewhere there would be some kind of unexpected cliffhanger - or something of the sort.

JediOasis
Maybe we should be wondering if someone who is not in the OT survived Episode II. Padme, Shmi, Windu, or the new Sith would be good candidates. I like the idea of Padme being kidnapped. I think it would be really cool if the new Sith dies in EP2 but in the end the Jedi hear rumors of a new and even more dangerous Sith lord. In EP III we find out they mean Darth Vader and Anakin had been decieving the Jedi at the end of EP II. I would like that. And when are we going to find out that Padme is pregnant? I think that it has been confirmed that the twins will be born in the PT, but when? Will Padme be pregnant at the start of EP III, cause if she's not then does EP III take place over 9 months? That can't be.

Dim
Well, at this point they're still sticking with the idea of the twins being born in EP3, which would mean to me that Padme's very pregnant at the beginning of the movie... Of course, GL hasn't written the script yet so that could change.

Jedi Mercenary
here's what I think, Ani is captured by the sith, Obi-Wan and Padme go after him.

theEviljedi
Hmmm...I like it.smile

JediOasis
Thats not really a cliffhanger though cause we know that Anakin eventually becomes a Sith.

krautrocker
I dont think ep 2 will end with anakin turning /not turning as a cliff hanger , as it is fair to assume that he doesn't turn till episode 3. I do like the idea of not knowing if a major character is or isn't dead , but I heard , can't remember where now ,that the penultimate scene was yoda and obi wan talking about victory with the clones and yoda making some wise statment , and that the last scene was sidious/palpatine with the sith apprentice, overlooking the clone troopers. At this point sidious turns to sith app , and utters 'begin the purge of the jedi'. Now I can't remember where I heard that, so if anyone else has heard that and can remember let me know.

finti
to igmb.If the story ends with an unsettled happening it would be a cliffhanger, like stormtroopers marching out to war. You would wonder what happen next. (cliffhanger).

IGOTMYBEAT
Well that would be a cliffhanger, but not a cliffhangercliffhanger like in TESB, I mean that really left you, well you know, because say Han Solo was never captured, you could still call it a CLIFFHANGER because there is still the rebellion, there is still the empire, there is still a war, so you COULD call it a cliffhanger, but han being captured and frozen in carbonite and luke finding out Vader is his father is a cliffhanger cliffhanger.

queeq
Well, rumour has it that only Mace, Ki-Adi Mundi, Yoda, Plo-Koon and Obi-Wan are left alive of all the Jedi at the end of Ep2.

So the cliff hanger may have to do with the survival of the remaining Jedi and Anakin running off with Padme after they get married in secret, a step that will inevitably lead to the unseen danger of Palpy.

queeq abides

Ushgarak
That is a LOT of dead Jedi, Queeg. Not impossible, I suppose, but it would involve blowing a lot of what we all thought Episode III was about (and as I've said before, previous material indicates the Jedi get taken out after the prequel films, though this is by no means certain).

The 'Anakin captured' cliffhanger ending was doing the rounds about a year ago. I thought it had been discredited, but I'm not really an expert.

Do I also tke it that this means that the very first guess, that Episode II ends with a wedding, have been blown out the water as well? I guess so, but...

queeq
No the wedding is still on. Probably it will take place in secret without the Jedi knowing it.

And I agree about the huge numbers of dead Jedi, but that's the rumour, dude.

queeq abides

finti
I thought they meant those guys was whats left of the jedi council not all the jedi`s

queeq
Oh.... right....that might even be the case. Now I'm not sure anymore.

Ushgarak
Mind you, that would still be an amazing achievement, considering the power of the Jedi (and Council Members, no less!), especially if the film is meant to take place over a two-day period. Unless there is some sort of super-Dark-Side wipe-out trick (unlikely), then I really can't see how anyone could shatter the Council so quickly.

Jedi Mercenary
new idea: end shows the jedi and queen fleeing Naboo, while the scene fades to Palpy, maybe talking to a lieutenat about their victory scene goes outside, showing Palpy's transport surrounded by a whole fleet of battle ships and transports head into Naboo's orbit. done and done

Darth Daft

Jedi Mercenary
agreed. kinda...no expression

queeq
Two days!! Ep2 is supposed to take place in two days??? That is very unlikely I think. I doubt we'll get a real idea how long it lasts. I think it'll be a little like ESB. We will see Padme and Anakin falling in love and probably getting married. Anakin visits three planets: Coruscant, Tatooine and Naboo and maybe one more, who knows. That is a little tight for just two days.

JediOasis
Yeah, I agree there, two days is just too quick. If Anakin does go from Coruscant, to Naboo, to Tatooine, to Genosis then it will have to be more than two days.

Ushgarak
I'll happily distance myself from the two days thing. I can't back it up at all, I just thought it was the main rumour right now.

Regardless, the films normally take place in a tight time period (minus whatever time is needed for space travel), although you can be all day working out how long ESB is meant to last (Han does get to another system in sub-light, after all). So the Jedi wiping-out thing is still difficult, Council or otherwise.

queeq
Well, the time frame is not that important. How long did ANH last? And ESB? And ROTJ? It is vague, which gives them all the room they need to tell the story. I like that.

Ratcat
Yeah, I agree. More imprortant is knowing the timescales between movies. but even that isn't really required to follow them.

Dim
yeah...I think that's especially true in OT...you could see the progression of time a bit more in TPM...but not something you follow by any means.

finti
Who cares as long as the films are great..

Dim
Well, there ya have it laughing out loud

queeq
Well, continuity is important. But I find the OT did a great job in avoiding the time issue. With the PT we'll have to see. There's always Anakin aging of course, and that has effects on the entire saga. Some things have to be explained somehow. For instance why he looks like a 70-year old while he's only in his forties in ROTJ.

COREWORLD
The whole two day thing came about from the head of LucasArts, he was talking about what games would be coming out for Episode II, he said that events (in the film) only take place over a couple of days.
As for the old Anakin in ROTJ...Well, GL stated that while he was writing TPM, he decided that Anakin should be younger than the thirteen year old he had envisioned, to make it more of an impact him leaving his mother, even if he had been thirteen, it still would'a just made him 49 years old, waaaaay short of how old SS looked, maybe the Skywalker clan just don't age all that well....

Yerial Poof
Hi there, I agree Anakin had been consumed by the Dark Side and a life of hardship and that made him look as old as he did smile Obi Wan himself looked pretty old in ANH probably the result of a hard life.no expression

COREWORLD
Yeah, having the fate of the galaxy resting on your shoulders can do that to a man. smile

P.S Welcome to the site, Yerial!

queeq
Hi Yerial. We are honoured that you've joined us.

The aging-argument is very old of course. It's a bit of an easy way out, but I guess we'll buy it.

Lugi207
there has to be at least a couple years shown in the movie becuase in episode 4, Vader's about forty right? That means that a lot of time passes between episodes 3&4 or the time passes in episodes 2&3.

Ushgarak
It's the first one. Most indications say that episodes two and three are very close- maybe even closer than Episodes V and VI, although it is somewhatr unclear how far those two are apart.

3 and 4 are almost certainly very widely spaced

COREWORLD
the number of years that the saga lasts is:
SW:Episode I 32 years before ANH
Episode II 22 years before
Episode III 20 years before
SW:Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode V: 3 years after
Episode VI: 4 years after ANH

queeq
So there we are. Vader is in his mid forties in ROTJ. Oh the aging dilemma...

finti
How old is Obi-Wan in TPM?

Dim
He's 25.

Jedi Mercenary
honestly? I thought he was nineteen.

queeq
Hey JM, nice to have you around again. Yes, he was 25.

JediOasis
That would make him 57 in ANH. Why would Tarkin say "surely he must be dead by now?" 57 is not that old.

Ushgarak
We're not 100% certain on what basis says that line, of course. He may have other good reasons for thinking that Ben could not still be alive than simple age.

queeq
Well, the "surely he must be dead BY NOW", gives rise to the thought that Ben must be very old. What else could it be, they had no idea where he was or Vader would have tracked him down with an army and killed him. So if they didn't know where he was, they didn't know if he was living on a planet where chances for a lengthy survival are slim. And if Tarkin expected a bounty hunter to have killed him, I'm pretty sure they'd have known when the BH came to collect the bill.

So that aging stuff is something GL must be struggling with.
Personally I think the preconceived idea of ANH was roughly that OB1 was already an older Jedi, like Qui-Gon in TPM, and Anakin was the same age as Luke in ANH when he started his training with OB1 ("When I met your father he was already a great pilot", surely GL had no idea about the pod races then). That would have made a lot of sense with the aging and all. It's a little weird for Vader to call OB1 "old man" when there's only 15 years age difference.

Anyway, lots of age anomalies. In my humble perception, of course.

Ushgarak
Oh, clearly the original implication was age. But now we now that Ben was too young to have died from old age, we have to find a different reason to fit the facts.

And I call people five years older than me "old man..."... it was probably just an insult.

queeq
Oh I'm sure. But OB1 did look a lot older than 57. Anyway, I hope GL's fixes are not silly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.