What are you proud of about yourself? When does Pride Go Too Far?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
The second question is an important question. This can affect personal relationships and career.

Some people enjoy when others have confidence to the point of arrogance. Most people find this extremely off-putting. So when does it go too far? Which topics are not okay to be proud of and why?

For me, I think things that were largely determined by your genes should not be considered topics of extreme pride. You shouldn't be extremely proud of your very tall height or very high IQ: you were mostly just born that way. Not something to be proud of, really.

But how hard you work? I think you can be proud of that. But you shouldn't be constantly bragging about it.

What about your grades? I think so. But only bring it up in natural conversation and very rarely, at that. It would be appropriate to call your parents and tell them, immediately, if you made the Dean's honor roll, for instance. But it may be weird to bring it up during a silent moment in a meeting at work. That's just weird, man.

I think toxic pride starts when people are proud of things out of their control such as almost anything related to their genetics or dice role (socioeconomic status at birth). But I also think people who are proud of being a certain kind of victim are spreading a particular brand of toxicity that should be looked down upon by everyone - no one should be proud to be a victim and crave victim-hood status.

So what are you proud of, about yourself? And when does pride go too far?

Chuck_Schumer
Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Chuck_Schumer
Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.
I understood and deeply appreciated the reference.

Putinbot1
I'm proud of what an ex-employee said about me wheni left one place of work to go to another. Je always tries to do the right thing and is fair, although sometimes his management style is very British. Lol at the last bit.

The whole bus cheered.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.