Casting Too Wide a Net

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
There has been a net cast too wide towards groups of people assumed to be "extremist" or "far-right" or "hateful"

There are groups of people who contain some people that could be described in this manner, but cannot be remotely uniformly characterized this way.

Anti-SJWs-All it takes to be an anti-SJW is to reject left-wing identity politics, and there's a spectrum of people who disagree with left-wing identity politics for different fundamental reasons. There are right-wing identitarians who reject left-wing identity politics because it is opposite of their own identitarian views (be it the alt-right and their white supremacist white nationalist views, legitimate actual sexists who hate women or think they're inferior, etc.). But there are also in greater numbers the individualists such as myself who reject identity politics and identitarianism across the board on the principle that people should be accorded rights and judged as individuals on the basis of their own individual merits and character. There are also types of marxists who would fall into this category funny enough, because they believe identity politics is a distraction from class politics (marxists are actually extremists though, just not the type being discussed in this thread)

Antitheists-Again ****ing weird that I'd be the one to defend antitheists, but they merely believe religious thinking is dangerous to society because of their fundamental ideological disagreement and criticism of religious thinking. This doesn't make them people who inherently hate religious people, or want to persecute them, or kill them, or genocide them, anymore than a left-winger who finds right-wing thinking dangerous and disagreeable wants to persecute kill or genocide right-wingers. The Sam Harris/Richard Dawkins/Patientleech types are not extremists. There are some antitheists who are extreme, the kinds who throw around statements like "religious people shouldn't be allowed to run for office" or "religious people shouldn't be allowed to vote" or "religious people shouldn't be allowed into scientific fields" or "religious people should be sent to reeducation facilities" or "religious people should be killed," but these types are few and far between.

People critical of immigration-Being critical of mass immigration or illegal immigration isn't an exclusively alt-right/ethnostate/genocidal position. You could be someone legitimately concerned with... I don't know... the indiscriminate mass migration of people from nations where women are treated as second class citizens and gays are heavily persecuted. It isn't racist or ethnostatey to be concerned with this. You can be against this mass immigration policy and still not believe these people should be the victims of hatred violence or mass murder (because tightening borders is not genocidal), or even not necessarily entirely against immigration (you could want it at a slower rate with proper background checks so that you could welcome people into your country at a rate at which they could culturally assimilate). You can be against illegal immigration in the US because you want the border laws to actually be enforced, and because you want people who immigrate to actually go through the proper legal procedure to do so. You could be against immigration because you're an economic protectionist who wants to protect the jobs of the people who already live in your country from increased competition and wage depression. Then of course there are the people who are against immigration specifically because they do want an ethnostate.

Men's Rights Activists-There are some men in these groups who are bitter sexists who hate women. However there are also some men (and women like Karen Straughan) who have legitimate grievances or concerns, such as the draft, or boys falling behind in the education system, or men losing custody of their kids more often than not, or being unfairly assumed to be the perpetrators in domestic assault cases, etc.

Nationalists-There are some people who are nationalists because they are fascists or ethnonationalists, this is true. There are also some people who are nationalists or nationalist-leaning who come from the point of principle that a national government should first and foremost consider the interests of its own citizens who grew up there, have paid its taxes, and have been subject to its laws for years, such as people who are economically protectionist who think their nation in its trade or immigration policy should favor the jobs of its own citizens. There are also those who would like the law of the land to be closer to the control of the people who live under it, such as the people who are euroskeptic and would prefer that their laws be made by their own elected national representatives rather than have them be decided for them by bureaucrats and citizens from other countries.

Pewdiepie Subscribers-I... I can't believe I have to say this... but no, ****ing Pewdiepie isn't alt-right and he isn't radicalizing people to the alt-right.

Meme trolls-Meme trolls just exist to troll people honestly, generally to troll the left. The population of people who would enjoy triggering the left with memes does include the far right, but it also just includes anyone ideologically opposed to the left-wing who wants to have a bit of fun with it.

Emperordmb
Another example of casting too wide a net for Islamic extremism.

Muslims-Muslims range from Islamic extremists/terrorists who would kill or support killing in the name of their religion, to Islamists who want their religious law to be the law of the land, to moderate Muslims to whom their faith is just a personal thing for them to live out in their lives peacefully in their pursuit of trying to act out a moral standard they aspire to.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Emperordmb
There has been a net cast too wide towards groups of people assumed to be "extremist" or "far-right" or "hateful"

There are groups of people who contain some people that could be described in this manner, but cannot be remotely uniformly characterized this way.

Anti-SJWs-All it takes to be an anti-SJW is to reject left-wing identity politics, and there's a spectrum of people who disagree with left-wing identity politics for different fundamental reasons. There are right-wing identitarians who reject left-wing identity politics because it is opposite of their own identitarian views (be it the alt-right and their white supremacist white nationalist views, legitimate actual sexists who hate women or think they're inferior, etc.). But there are also in greater numbers the individualists such as myself who reject identity politics and identitarianism across the board on the principle that people should be accorded rights and judged as individuals on the basis of their own individual merits and character. There are also types of marxists who would fall into this category funny enough, because they believe identity politics is a distraction from class politics (marxists are actually extremists though, just not the type being discussed in this thread)

Antitheists-Again ****ing weird that I'd be the one to defend antitheists, but they merely believe religious thinking is dangerous to society because of their fundamental ideological disagreement and criticism of religious thinking. This doesn't make them people who inherently hate religious people, or want to persecute them, or kill them, or genocide them, anymore than a left-winger who finds right-wing thinking dangerous and disagreeable wants to persecute kill or genocide right-wingers. The Sam Harris/Richard Dawkins/Patientleech types are not extremists. There are some antitheists who are extreme, the kinds who throw around statements like "religious people shouldn't be allowed to run for office" or "religious people shouldn't be allowed to vote" or "religious people shouldn't be allowed into scientific fields" or "religious people should be sent to reeducation facilities" or "religious people should be killed," but these types are few and far between.

People critical of immigration-Being critical of mass immigration or illegal immigration isn't an exclusively alt-right/ethnostate/genocidal position. You could be someone legitimately concerned with... I don't know... the indiscriminate mass migration of people from nations where women are treated as second class citizens and gays are heavily persecuted. It isn't racist or ethnostatey to be concerned with this. You can be against this mass immigration policy and still not believe these people should be the victims of hatred violence or mass murder (because tightening borders is not genocidal), or even not necessarily entirely against immigration (you could want it at a slower rate with proper background checks so that you could welcome people into your country at a rate at which they could culturally assimilate). You can be against illegal immigration in the US because you want the border laws to actually be enforced, and because you want people who immigrate to actually go through the proper legal procedure to do so. You could be against immigration because you're an economic protectionist who wants to protect the jobs of the people who already live in your country from increased competition and wage depression. Then of course there are the people who are against immigration specifically because they do want an ethnostate.

Men's Rights Activists-There are some men in these groups who are bitter sexists who hate women. However there are also some men (and women like Karen Straughan) who have legitimate grievances or concerns, such as the draft, or boys falling behind in the education system, or men losing custody of their kids more often than not, or being unfairly assumed to be the perpetrators in domestic assault cases, etc.

Nationalists-There are some people who are nationalists because they are fascists or ethnonationalists, this is true. There are also some people who are nationalists or nationalist-leaning who come from the point of principle that a national government should first and foremost consider the interests of its own citizens who grew up there, have paid its taxes, and have been subject to its laws for years, such as people who are economically protectionist who think their nation in its trade or immigration policy should favor the jobs of its own citizens. There are also those who would like the law of the land to be closer to the control of the people who live under it, such as the people who are euroskeptic and would prefer that their laws be made by their own elected national representatives rather than have them be decided for them by bureaucrats and citizens from other countries.

Pewdiepie Subscribers-I... I can't believe I have to say this... but no, ****ing Pewdiepie isn't alt-right and he isn't radicalizing people to the alt-right.

Meme trolls-Meme trolls just exist to troll people honestly, generally to troll the left. The population of people who would enjoy triggering the left with memes does include the far right, but it also just includes anyone ideologically opposed to the left-wing who wants to have a bit of fun with it. i think wevcan ptofilebthe next incel rightist terrorist DMB very well. He'll have a collection of the characteristics on your list.

MythLord
Pewdiepie Subscribers-I... I can't believe I have to say this... but no, ****ing Pewdiepie isn't alt-right and he isn't radicalizing people to the alt-right
Who said he was?

Most critiques I've seen of him are more along the lines of: Watch what you say.

Surtur
DMB is correct people often cast way too wide a net. We see proof of it literally everyday on this forum. People can't properly use words like alt right, incel, nazi, fascist, racist, or sexist. It's disturbing, but also fascinating because these same people have convinced themselves they possess intelligence that is, at the very least, above average.

Surtur
Originally posted by MythLord
Who said he was?

Most critiques I've seen of him are more along the lines of: Watch what you say.

The shooter name dropped pewdie pie, pretty sure the critiques after that had nothing to do with what pewdie pie has said.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
DMB is correct people often cast way too wide a net. We see proof of it literally everyday on this forum. People can't properly use words like alt right, incel, nazi, fascist, racist, or sexist. It's disturbing, but also fascinating because these same people have convinced themselves they possess intelligence that is, at the very least, above average.

^Literally from the guy who blamed the White Supremacist/Nationalist attack/murders on a Canadian Mosque on Muslims. Because if it's terrorism, it has to be Muslims doing it.

dadudemon
DMB, I can't ready the OP. I start to read it and then lose interest. I don't know if it is your writing style or something else.

I gleaned. I want to care because you have good thoughts and posts. You even formatted for short-attention spans like mine.

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
^Literally from the guy who blamed the White Supremacist/Nationalist attack/murders on a Canadian Mosque on Muslims. Because if it's terrorism, it has to be Muslims doing it.

Er, I speculated. If, after it was revealed, I still kept insisting...that would be an example of me not understanding what the words mean.

You're not on top of your game today, feeling okay? Nothing you just typed out negated anything in my post. Do you feel it did? Or were you just calling out what you felt was hypocrisy?

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
DMB, I can't ready the OP. I start to read it and then lose interest. I don't know if it is your writing style or something else.

I gleaned. I want to care because you have good thoughts and posts. You even formatted for short-attention spans like mine.

I can sum it up: people hurl out certain terms far too freely these days.

Robtard
Er, I speculated. If, after it was revealed, I still kept insisting...that would be an example of me not understanding what the words mean.

You're not on top of your game today, feeling okay? Nothing you just typed out negated anything in my post. Do you feel it did? Or were you just calling out what you felt was hypocrisy?

No, you blamed Muslims on it before you knew much of anything, because in your net, if its terrorism; it had to be Muslims doing it. Stop lying; you're bad at it.

Surtur
No, you blamed Muslims on it before you knew much of anything, because in your net, if its terrorism; it had to be Muslims doing it. Stop lying; you're bad at it.

I speculated kiddo, and *how* does this negate the fact people here don't use words correctly? You're not explaining this.

Putinbot1
No, you blamed Muslims on it before you knew much of anything, because in your net, if its terrorism; it had to be Muslims doing it. Stop lying; you're bad at it. it's why i have him on ignore...

Robtard
I speculated kiddo, and *how* does this negate the fact people here don't use words correctly? You're not explaining this. By speculation you said it was Muslims who did it, you know this, why you're so desperate to move away from the convo again and I will allow it.

People do use words incorrectly here. eg You're one of the biggest offenders as you'll label anything you don't agree with as "SJW" and/or "Leftist" and/or "Progressive" as some insult.

Surtur
By speculation you said it was Muslims who did it, you know this, why you're so desperate to move away from the convo again and I will allow it.

People do use words incorrectly here. eg You're one of the biggest offenders as you'll label anything you don't agree with as "SJW" and/or "Leftist" and/or "Progressive" as some insult.

I speculated. Deal with it kid.

And yes, people do use words incorrectly. Like you and your pals. You'll never admit it cuz you lack the sac.

Robtard
Originally posted by Putinbot1
it's why i have him on ignore...

He needs to stop with the Pinocchio routine

Surtur
He needs to stop with the Pinocchio routine

Except I didn't lie, I did speculate and say I thought it was muslims. Where is the lie kiddo? Name it, now.

Putinbot1
He needs to stop with the Pinocchio routine He does, he really does.

Emperordmb
Who said he was?

The critiques of him are obnoxious nonsense not in good faith but meant to slander him for the self-interest of whoever is attacking him.

MythLord
There's a lot of valid criticism of Pewdiepie. And I'm actually a fan of his Let's Plays, but he's had more than a few slip ups. I don't think he's Alt-Right, either way.

Emperordmb
There's a lot of valid criticism of Pewdiepie. And I'm actually a fan of his Let's Plays, but he's had more than a few slip ups. I don't think he's Alt-Right, either way.
The livestream thing was a legit slip up.

The Nazi jokes... are no different than jokes we've made on Google hangouts, no different than jokes shows like South Park have made, the offense at them is manufactured. Nobody gave two shits about those jokes until the wallstreet journal set out to do a hitpiece on Pewdiepie... even though one of the journalists who researched it and did the hitpiece was found to have had a lot of those same kinds of jokes in his tweets. Clearly the wallstreet journal was a self-interested actor rather than a morally interested actor, desperate to damage someone's career for clicks and envious of Pewdiepie's success from the vantage point of their dying industry that can't die soon enough.

Putinbot1
The livestream thing was a legit slip up.

The Nazi jokes... are no different than jokes we've made on Google hangouts, no different than jokes shows like South Park have made, the offense at them is manufactured. Nobody gave two shits about those jokes until the wallstreet journal set out to do a hitpiece on Pewdiepie... even though one of the journalists who researched it and did the hitpiece was found to have had a lot of those same kinds of jokes in his tweets. Clearly the wallstreet journal was a self-interested actor rather than a morally interested actor, desperate to damage someone's career for clicks and envious of Pewdiepie's success from the vantage point of their dying industry that can't die soon enough. i don't make these jokes.

ares834
"I'm a blue eyes white dragon, while you're just dark magician!"

Truly a classic.

Emperordmb
Yep it was, excellent song.

ares834
I've never actually listened to it because, well, it's pewdiepie and I'm not wasting my time watching his trash.

Emperordmb
You don't have to if you don't want to, just don't be an obnoxious ******* and claim he's an evil racist sexist bigot homophobe transphobe.

Surtur

Sure, but "some shooter name dropped you" is not a valid criticism.

Emperordmb
Oh yeah, forgot to include Chelsea Clinton on the list. What the **** are people doing?

Surtur
Oh yeah, forgot to include Chelsea Clinton on the list. What the **** are people doing?

Being crazy, now criticizing anti-semitism causes people thousands of miles away to shoot muslims.

It's weird to see the over reaction from NZ on this, the censorship, the threats to arrest people putting out video of the shooting. This guy has already done the damage he wanted. Divided people. Cuz the reaction to the censorship and stuff is gonna divide people in these places.

There is legit a Slate article called "Christchurch implicates all white australians". Not joking.

Chuck_Schumer
Good post, DMB. Unfortunately the black and white "you're either with us or against us" rhetoric will only continue to worsen for both 'sides'.

Surtur
Chuck I gotta say, you just reminded me of the new Chucky movie.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
i don't make these jokes.

I think it's important to make as many racist, sexist, classist, ageist, etc. jokes as possible.

Except at work.

I believe I posted about this before but my gay friend "Randy" (name changed because we are on the intertubes) had AIDS. He died of cancer before the AIDS, though (dude was super awesome but had terrible luck). But he said you should make fun of all of these things as much as possible. It's a lesson that's stuck with me and I'll continue to do it. Why let these things rule your life. Mock it. Make fun of it. Joke about it. Laugh at it.

Surtur
Sorry about Randy bro, he sounds legit.

dadudemon
Sorry about Randy bro, he sounds legit.

"Randy" was awesome.

And he used to body-build. Even when AIDS was taking it's toll, he still had giant shoulders, pecs, and calves. He worked out a lot even when he got nauseous (but doc said it would help keep appetite up).

Surtur
He should have toked some weed and worked out, it's weird to do. It was like my muscles didn't care.

Though don't toke and go do boxing and spar people. I learned the hard way it doesn't end well.

One Big Mob
Pewdiepie is trash and is trying to organize young white youths to commit genocide. It's sick really. Unsubscribe and stop watching for your own health.

Subscribe to T-Series

Surtur
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Pewdiepie is trash and is trying to organize young white youths to commit genocide. It's sick really. Unsubscribe and stop watching for your own health.

Subscribe to T-Series

Just feels like you hate pies. Racist much?

dadudemon

Subscribe to T-Series

I'm team Captain Delusion. estahuh

He should be the #1 most subscribed channel on the youtubes. uhuh

Surtur
I just want a person as #1. It doesn't have to be pewdie, but someone.

One Big Mob
I've never even watched a PDP video, or T-Series, but I am subbed to T-Series.

I'm doing my part not worshipping e-celebs and committing mass murder. Do yours racists

Robtard
Can't say I know what this "T-Series" is, but it seems to have surpassed shitty PDP as the #1 channel on YT.

One Big Mob
Can't say I know what this "T-Series" is, but it seems to have surpassed shitty PDP as the #1 channel on YT. I didn't even hear about it until people were talking about some sort of faceoff. Still not sure what either upload in terms of content?

I only use Youtube for music videos, workout stuff, and Dragon Ball Heroes apparently. Oh yeah, and Rough n Rowdy videos. I don't care what some dude thinks my opinion should be in a video based on something else. I'll watch the odd Joe Rogan video, but that's to laugh at how high he gets.

Robtard
PDP is mostly gaming from what little I know, I've watched 15seconds of him once and he was autistically screaming while playing a video game. That was enough for me; I don't see the appeal. He also seems to do controversial nonsense to shitty acts to be edgy and get kids to subscribe.

Googling: "T-Series, a music and film production company in India that uploads daily Bollywood music videos to its channel."

One Big Mob
Hmm... sounds terrible. I knew he did gaming a long time ago, but I thought he had to do something more now... I guess? I'm both surprised T-Series has that many subs, and wondering why it doesn't have more due to all the Indians. Weird.

I have zero understanding of how PDP got that popular though. I can't make sense of it in my brain. Does this make him a huge celebrity or what? What causes someone to watch someone sit there and play games instead of playing the games? What is the visual stimuli there? Does he pull out his cock or something, what is he doing? So many questions, and I can't see any answer intriguing me.

MythLord
The Nazi jokes... are no different than jokes we've made on Google hangouts, no different than jokes shows like South Park have made, the offense at them is manufactured.
The difference is our Hangout jokes remain in the Hangouts, whereas PewDiePie has a vast following of impressionable children, some of whom already have a similar stance and just got an added motivation to act like asshats because their idol thinks it's OK.
Now, of course PewDiePie doesn't think it's OK, but the damage is done. And it keeps happening over and over again, with him.
Nobody gave two shits about those jokes until the wallstreet journal set out to do a hitpiece on Pewdiepie... even though one of the journalists who researched it and did the hitpiece was found to have had a lot of those same kinds of jokes in his tweets. Clearly the wallstreet journal was a self-interested actor rather than a morally interested actor, desperate to damage someone's career for clicks and envious of Pewdiepie's success from the vantage point of their dying industry that can't die soon enough.
Yeah, that journalist is a hypocrite. But you'd think Pewds would be a bit more careful after one incident and, y'know, not play off accidentally promoting a racist YouTube channel as an "oopsie".

Again, this is coming from someone who actually likes the guy. Someone this influential should try and pick his words and jokes more carefully.

Putinbot1
I only really watch sport and old tv on youtube. As bran says who gives a **** what some other **** says.

Surtur
I've never even watched a PDP video, or T-Series, but I am subbed to T-Series.

I'm doing my part not worshipping e-celebs and committing mass murder. Do yours racists

I'd guess most of his subscribers do not worship him.

Eon Blue
Bump

socool8520
Originally posted by dadudemon

I've noticed you are a lot more negative/sarcastic than you have been in the past. What's up man?

I agree with MB's post for the most part in that just because you aren't all in on a topic one group is passionate about, it doesn't mean you are an extremist. Unfortunately, that's they way the loudest fools deem people who disagree with them.

dadudemon
Originally posted by socool8520
I've noticed you are a lot more negative/sarcastic than you have been in the past. What's up man?

That's not true at all. Almost no posts of my are rude or condescending these last few years. Did you forgot how I was in the manga/anime subforum? Were you there when I would be arguing with 5-6 people at once about their unjustified stupid Prequel Star Wars hate?

It's been years since I've been like that on KMC. Every now and then, people are rude and condescending so I respond in kind. And I don't care about hurting feelings.

You're also misreading my comment to DMB. It's 100% serious and sincere. I wanted to read his post but it was just too long, boring, and felt like it wasn't really making any points. I couldn't keep my attention on it. And I wanted him to know I took the time to try to read it. He knows this and multiple people had told him about his posts needing better formatting and conciseness. You can even see in my comment to him that I insult myself for having a short-attention span. So your take on my post to him is fundamentally wrong.

He writes like a Historian. Just droning on and on and on and not getting to the point. Bardock42 said I used to do the same. I think it is a symptom of being in college and having to write paper after paper. Certain degrees require you write extremely thoroughly or hit certain length requirements so it trains your mind to think far too verbose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.