Alpha (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
I just watched this last night and really, really liked it. I'm not even a dog person, and I really liked it.

It was a bit grittier than I was expecting. At least some parts. There was a part or two where it was obvious they had to keep it PG-13, but it's a gorgeously filmed survival, adventure flick (even if a little ridiculous at times). I might be a little biased because it does demonstrate some similarities to Riddick (2013) with the canine-esque companion and survival elements. Plus I loved seeing some of the prehistoric animals, like Woolly Mammoth and such. But it's a lean 90 minutes and well-paced. I realized after the fact that one of the Hughes brothers (Book of Eli, From Hell) directed it. That explains why it was so beautifully done. I honestly am not sure if some of the close-up shots of the wolf were CGI or not. Some of them had to have been, but I couldn't tell. Does anyone know? (I may have to watch some special features to find out..)

http://www.impawards.com/2018/posters/alpha_ver5.jpg

Robtard
Ah, I did want to watch this but at home, but totally forgot about it. Will check it out later this week.

Nibedicus
Small world. Lol. Watched it on Netflix barely 2 hours ago. Really liked it, too.

Patient_Leech
The lead actor kid in the movie (who does quite a good job) looked familiar to me and it's because I've seen him in 3 other things...

The Road (2009)
Let Me In (2010)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

It would be fun to see more movies in this 'world' (so to speak). Prequels or sequels. It's just a big canvas for all sorts of creativity and cool stuff.

Robtard
Caught this last night, was overall decent for a family feel-good flick. CGI was really low-rent at times though.

carthage
Loved the film

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Caught this last night, was overall decent for a family feel-good flick. CGI was really low-rent at times though.

Yeah, "feel good" by the end at least, haha.. I mean, watching a movie like this you know it's not going to have a miserable ending... ...so in that sense there wasn't much suspense.

And yeah, I wish the part with the Saber-tooth Tiger was done better. The CGI was too dark and probably questionable there, but most of the rest of it was excellent.

Putinbot1
Is it as good as 10,000 BC was.

Robtard
I found this better than 10,000 BC despite the shoddy (at times) CGI, but they're entirely different films despite a similar setting.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, "feel good" by the end at least, haha.. I mean, watching a movie like this you know it's not going to have a miserable ending... ...so in that sense there wasn't much suspense.

And yeah, I wish the part with the Saber-tooth Tiger was done better. The CGI was too dark and probably questionable there, but most of the rest of it was excellent.

I wasn't 100% sure if the wolf was going to live, thought it might have had a "my sacrifice for you" spin to it at the end with the wolf doing something epic to save the kid.

Patient_Leech
Oh, yeah. Good point.

I guess I just didn't expect anything that sad. Personally I thought the ending was very charming and quite badass. Tribe sporting some new wolf companions. It's interesting to note that that's not how dog domestication happened, but that doesn't mean that it didn't ever happen I guess.

Robtard
It's not unreasonable to think that didn't occur sometimes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.