Islamophobia has 'seeped into the public consciousness' as British Far-Right movement

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
It's funny, the moderate right in the UK are attacking the alt-right more than the left.

Kudos to the Telegraph again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/25/islamophobia-has-seeped-public-consciousness-british-far-right/

Last week five mosques in Birmingham were attacked with sledgehammers, the latest in a string of anti-Muslim attacks over the past several years.

Home Office data shows that there were 94,098 hate crimes recorded in England and Wales in 2017-18, including a 40 per cent surge in a religiously-aggravated hate crime.

BrolyBlack

Putinbot1
The Telegraph is certainly after the Incels and Nazi's more than anyone.

Bentley
Don't be modest, we all know you got after Incels and Nazis as much as they do

BrolyBlack

Putinbot1
I won't lie Bentley and Broly; they do disturb me, I was born less than 22 years after WW2 it was all my parents generation talked about.

cdtm
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I won't lie Bentley and Broly; they do disturb me, I was born less than 22 years after WW2 it was all my parents generation talked about.

Reading a book called "You Gentles" by Maurice Samuel is kind a surreal experience.

Published in 1924. The Nazi party rises in 1920. All the references to anti-semetism predate WWII, yet talk of people in Germany shouting to "kill the Jews".

Badabing
It's funny, the moderate right in the UK are attacking the alt-right more than the left.

Kudos to the Telegraph again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/25/islamophobia-has-seeped-public-consciousness-british-far-right/

Last week five mosques in Birmingham were attacked with sledgehammers, the latest in a string of anti-Muslim attacks over the past several years.

Home Office data shows that there were 94,098 hate crimes recorded in England and Wales in 2017-18, including a 40 per cent surge in a religiously-aggravated hate crime. Well wrong is wrong. Moderates on either side should call out bad behavior.

But I do think London takes things too far. Now it's hate speech to even criticize Islam, if I'm to believe what I've read.

cdtm
Originally posted by Badabing
Well wrong is wrong. Moderates on either side should call out bad behavior.

But I do think London takes things too far. Now it's hate speech to even criticize Islam, if I'm to believe what I've read.

https://archbishopcranmer.com/met-police-criticism-islam-islamophobia/

Source is suspect, but if true this is insane.

Both criticisms of Islam, AND rejections of criticisms of the West being rejected, are considered "Islamophobia".

MythLord
How old are you?

dadudemon

Putinbot1
Originally posted by MythLord
How old are you? 52

Rage.Of.Olympus
I was listening to an evolutionary biologist and an anthropologist, and I think a major issue is that people think this is an alt-right movement. It's not. Extreme islamophobia and racism, is a human condition and there is a strong biological incentive for this mentality to be triggered.

Multiculturalism, mass immigration, deteriorating national borders, a weak economy AND a strong mainstream, government clampdown on the discussion and the negative consequences of immigration and/or Islam is like the perfect backdrop for the Fourth Reich. The shit is terrifying imo. Human history is literally a repeating cycle of this happening.

I recently realized that this is not something that can be isolated or...shamed into obscurity? Here's a hard, cold fact: People prefer homogeneous societies. This is our default setting. I think a big mistake recent politicians have made is ignoring this, and acting like welcoming people of all different creeds is not only the right thing to do, but the obvious thing to do. I think this is very dangerous and underestimates the strong foundation Western societies had to incorporate different cultures. This is not me defending this problem, biology is amoral from my understand. I think...we need to constantly point to a problem, and be cognizant of it, so we can address it.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't. I don't want the destruction of property or the harming of innocents. I strongly oppose these types of things. It's an affront to the most important elements of liberty. I hope and think he meant the more left, right speaking rightfully out against the far right, but I may be wrong, right?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I was listening to an evolutionary biologist and an anthropologist, and I think a major issue is that people think this is an alt-right movement. It's not. Extreme islamophobia and racism, is a human condition and there is a strong biological incentive for this mentality to be triggered.

Multiculturalism, mass immigration, deteriorating national borders, a weak economy AND a strong mainstream, government clampdown on the discussion and the negative consequences of immigration and/or Islam is like the perfect backdrop for the Fourth Reich. The shit is terrifying imo. Human history is literally a repeating cycle of this happening. As someone with degrees in molecular biology and genetics I disagree about racism being biological.

Rage.Of.Olympus
As someone with degrees in molecular biology and genetics I disagree about racism being biological.

Do you have any sources to point me to supporting your stance? I knew you had a degree in the field, so I'm curious.

He explained it as there is a strong biological function for the propagation of genes most like your own. Maybe, I'm phrasing his interpretation incorrectly?

Putinbot1
Really?

Do you have any sources to point me to? I knew you had a degree in the field, so I'm curious.

He explained it as there is a strong biological function for the propagation of genes most like your own. Maybe, I'm phrasing his interpretation correctly? Samuel Morton was the dipshit who came up with Scientific Racism. It's wholly discredited, but dipshits with agendas bring it up often.

As for genes like your own, the phenotype is not genotype. The germline you have may be far more similar to someone with completely different skin colour to you than the same eye colour.

Putinbot1
Additionally, genes don't really work as you get taught in high school, e.g. recessive and dominant versions most genes work in conjunction with other genes that have roles in other functions, some clusters may confer an advantage in one expression and a disadvantage in another capacity. Since the genome project we add up a some total giving a genetic potential or quotient of an individual. This is mostly germline and unseen.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Samuel Morton was the dipshit who came up with Scientific Racism. It's wholly discredited, but dipshits with agendas bring it up often.

As for genes like your own, the phenotype is not genotype. The germline you have may be far more similar to someone with completely different skin colour to you than the same eye colour. Originally posted by Putinbot1
Additionally, genes don't really work as you get taught in high school, e.g. recessive and dominant versions most genes work in conjunction with other genes that have roles in other functions, some may cluster confer an advantage and a disadvantage in another capacity. Since the genome project we add up a some total giving a genetic potential or quotient of an individual. This is mostly germline and unseen.

Thank you, this is what I like about this place. thumb up

I will research more thoroughly. My field is finance. I'm just trying to better understand human nature, and how we can prevent the worst of it from being expressed.

Putinbot1
Thank you, this is what I like about this place. thumb up

I will research more thoroughly. My field is finance. I'm just trying to better understand human nature, and how we can prevent the worst of it from being expressed. To be honest, I don't use my biology in my job and it's 25 years since I was a student, but i still read up a bit and stay up to date as much as possible.

jaden_2.0
The cognitive dissonance required by the UK right wing press to print anti-islamic headlines for the last 17+ years and then complain about islamophobia and far right "seeping" into the mainstream.

Bonkers, mate.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The cognitive dissonance required by the UK right wing press to print anti-islamic headlines for the last 17+ years and then complain about islamophobia and far right "seeping" into the mainstream.

Bonkers, mate.

I honestly don't disagree. The Telegraph is takingna bit of a stand on it at the moment, which I applaud.

BrolyBlack
I remember when I would post the telegraph and it would be discounted as alt right. Oh my how the times have changed, PB is doing it to now.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
I remember when I would post the telegraph, and it would be discounted as alt right. Oh my how the times have changed, PB is doing it too now. The Telegraph is a strange paper; it's like the Guardian of the right. For its direction, it can be too progressive, but sometimes it gets it right. It's certainly no Daily Mail or Breitbart.

Putinbot1
Cant't believe I posted some total and not sum total and I said genetic potential was mostly germline, when of course it can only be germline. Haha, senior moments.

dadudemon
"Racism is not genetic" is also false. A sweeping dismissal of the statement is also not academically sound.

Babies start to show "likeness affiliation/preference" at very young ages. This is definitely racist. It is far more innocent than the right wing racism we see. It is a self-preservation that has roots directly in tribal preservation and our violent human evolution.

What does this all mean? It means, for example, white babies show a preference for white people. And this comes from self-preservation evolution, not racism.

In early human history, tribal warfare was common enough that it shaped our evolution. Humans are incredibly altruistic but also incredibly violent.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/13/your-baby-is-a-little-bit-racist-science-says/

https://www.livescience.com/640-peace-war-early-humans-behaved.html

https://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/science-says-everyones-a-little-bit-racist-even-babies/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-brutal-massacre-may-be-earliest-evidence-war-180957884/

Putinbot1
Things like the species genocide of other Hominids are not racism. A scientific underpinning for racism is laughable though. You are arguing something different. Phenotypical preference exists, however, it is something that may well cross racial boundaries and certainly has a strong non genetic component.

As for race as anything but a phenotype...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/

There’s No Scientific Basis for Race—It's a Made-Up Label.

And any credible geneticist will tell you the same.

The genome project hammered the point home btw.

when scientists set out to assemble the first complete human genome, which was a composite of several individuals, they deliberately gathered samples from people who self-identified as members of different races. In June 2000, when the results were announced at a White House ceremony, Craig Venter, a pioneer of DNA sequencing, observed, “The concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis.”

Putinbot1
I pretty much see race and phenotype as visible expression qualifiers. As they should be.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.