If you fail school/college is your life doomed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheIndyJedi
Thoughts?

ares834
No.

TempAccount
If you're neurotic like me and come from a very collectivist society, yes.

ArtificialGlory
Nope.

Tzeentch
No, but depending on where you live things may be harder for you. And you might be stuck doing stuff you don't like. Trades and entrepreneurship are memes.

It's not all bad though.

TheIndyJedi
Originally posted by Tzeentch
No, but depending on where you live things may be harder for you. And you might be stuck doing stuff you don't like. Trades and entrepreneurship are memes.

It's not all bad though.

I'd say it depends on your mindset. If you are motivated to do well in the future then you will. If your just going to still be lazy like you were at school, then you will fail

Archaeopteryx
No but you're sure at a disadvantage

Surtur
Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
Thoughts?

It depends on your goals. Let us say you're someone who wanted a big family with a bunch of kids. You might not be able to afford that. On the other hand...if you don't want any kids and meet a woman who also doesn't want any and you get married...it's not like you couldn't live comfortably.

TheIndyJedi
True

TheIndyJedi
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
No but you're sure at a disadvantage

Yeh you are but if you make up for your failures and are 100% motivated to do well, then you will. I know a lot of people who came from bad backgrounds and end up getting great jobs.

dadudemon
As time goes on, college educations are becoming less and less valued. Among the millenniasl and Gen Z people, it is valued significantly lower than older generations.

Instead, skills and personality are becoming the desired "job" sets.

TheIndyJedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
As time goes on, college educations are becoming less and less valued. Among the millenniasl and Gen Z people, it is valued significantly lower than older generations.

Instead, skills and personality are becoming the desired "job" sets.

Agreed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
Agreed.

If you applied for a job working for me and it was for...say...

A full stack developer position...

I'd look at your skill set and job history.

When I interview you, I'd have several questions about being a full stack developer to make sure you weren't lying. If you put down asp.net or node js, I'd have a few questions lined up that were pertinent to our environment but still obfuscated enough to not require an NDA just to sit in the interview.

I also have them resolve "generic" bugs (real bugs that we encountered and resolved) that have been cleaned up so as to not reveal too much of our environment. It's a working interview.

And it works. The ones I hire using this method thank me for giving them a chance to do in an interview what they'd be doing in their job. The ones who can get through the corporate games and HR processes are not necessarily the best ones for the job. The ones that are the best one for the job are the ones that are the best ones for the job - tautological, I know, but it makes perfect sense. Interview processes need to be updated to find the skilled employees needed to perform day to day job functions.

Why does hiring in this manner work so well?

Job satisfaction and attrition rates.

If the people are hired for the jobs they want within the skill sets they posses, they will be effective. And their team mates will be effective with them (assuming we were able to suss out the hyper-egotistical candidates in the interview process and hire those that have a decent team-player mentality). Job satisfaction means less attrition. Less attrition means less money spent on recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training (RIHT). Less RIHT means dollars can be spent on the department that produces work. Better bonuses, better tools to get the job done, and more budget to hire enough to keep redundancy in place so people can go on friggin' vacations. These efficiencies scale, big time, on larger teams. We can get more work done. More work done means more money made per person. More money made per person means, usually, more profit.

At any point, do you see a degree needed for RIHT? I don't know. It's more important that you can do the job than it is to have a degree that is outdated 2 years before you complete it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/students-are-being-prepared-jobs-no-longer-exist-here-s-n865096

TheIndyJedi
Not to mention nowadays you find a lot people with no qualifications sucessfully getting good jobs. It just depends on your motivation.

The Biggest Dog

Instead, skills and personality are becoming the desired "job" sets. I need a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Architect.

Sorry, we have someone with a nice personality and skills they've learnt somewhere, will that do?
confused

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Biggest Dog
I need a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Architect.

Sorry, we have someone with a nice personality and skills they've learnt somewhere, will that do?
confused

Correction:

Person with Money and a Brain: "I need an architect for a new contract we just got approval on."

Recruiter: "I have two candidates for the architect:

1. Bob has 15 years of experience; 7 certifications across multiple architectural programs that are up-to-date which includes Architecture Toolset from AutoCad - the software program your firm currently has licensed;, and has 3 good references - all say he is great to work with and an amazing team player.

2. Joe has 15 years of experience, a Masters of Architecture from Columbia University, and his references are decent but people say he can be quite stubborn on some ideas."

Person with Money and a Brain: "Sounds like my choice is very easy. I don't put much into degrees, anymore - fools of years past do that. I need recent and fresh evidence that people can do their job and the AutoCad certification Bob has will be the most important. We don't have time to train Joe on a new software program and get him certified."

Guess what? Actual scenarios I run into. Luckily, I get to make these decisions and dinosaurs like you (Whirly) are about to retire so your old thinking goes away. My professional network contains dozens of young recruiters and almost none of the job postings they list mention a degree unless it is for federal positions.

Do you want a surgeon who has been certified to be able to complete a specific high-risk surgery? Or do you want a generalist surgeon? Even better news: AI is being developed to do these surgeries. thumb up

The Biggest Dog
Correction:

Person with Money and a Brain: "I need an architect for a new contract we just got approval on."

Recruiter: "I have two candidates for the architect:

1. Bob has 15 years of experience; 7 certifications across multiple architectural programs that are up-to-date which includes Architecture Toolset from AutoCad - the software program your firm currently has licensed;, and has 3 good references - all say he is great to work with and an amazing team player.

2. Joe has 15 years of experience, a Masters of Architecture from Columbia University, and his references are decent but people say he can be quite stubborn on some ideas."

Person with Money and a Brain: "Sounds like my choice is very easy. I don't put much into degrees, anymore - fools of years past do that. I need recent and fresh evidence that people can do their job and the AutoCad certification Bob has will be the most important. We don't have time to train Joe on a new software program and get him certified."

Guess what? Actual scenarios I run into. Luckily, I get to make these decisions and dinosaurs like you (Whirly) are about to retire so your old thinking goes away. My professional network contains dozens of young recruiters and almost none of the job postings they list mention a degree unless it is for federal positions.

Do you want a surgeon who has been certified to be able to complete a specific high-risk surgery? Or do you want a generalist surgeon? Even better news: AI is being developed to do these surgeries. thumb up These pepple with 15 years experience and the correct qualifications would be in there 40's, I understand qualifications don't matter to young people because they have generation X.

I see a a problem.

dadudemon
These pepple with 15 years experience and the correct qualifications would be in there 40's, I understand qualifications don't matter to young people because they have generation X.

I see a a problem.

A young person will simply lack most qualifications and skills required to do a job.

Nothing you can do about it.

Unless you're me, of course, and worked in your chosen profession while going to college and getting certified in specific skillsets. But this requires you to have almost 0 life and most people are unwilling to be this...ridiculous/absurd?

TheIndyJedi
I need a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Architect.

confused

It depends what job you want to go for. But yeh you definitely can't be any of those without qualifications

Jmanghan
Nope.

Senor Cage
You can always get into a trade, which pays more than some jobs with BA's. However, pretty much all tech jobs (Apple, FB, etc...) require at least a BA. Doesn't matter what kind of BA, just a BA. Then you need the skills, too.

quanchi112
No.

hayama
I think education is important thing for everyone. It give us a lot of opportunities to find good job with high salary. I am future teacher. Now I am college student and like studying. But sometimes have troubles with essays. Now I am working on one of writing compositions. How to write a rhetorical analysis i found here. This is a bit hard task for me. So i will apply for help.

Beniboybling
your chances of ending up like surt about double, yeah.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Beniboybling

laughing

Zucc

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar147084_23.gif

Beniboybling
what a handsome man

quanchi112
your chances of ending up like surt about double, yeah. laughing out loud

Surt is the board meme of loser.

TheIndyJedi
Lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.