Regarding handbooks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeadpoolXXX
why exactly are they inadmissible? theyre still published by the companies and recognized as "official" within the companies. so why wouldnt we accept them here?

StiltmanFTW
Secondary sources.

Their info is often so inaccurate, it hurts to read through a character's bio.

On panel feats, on panel statements always trump handbooks.

qwertyuiop1998
I personally think if them not contradicts with comics,then could regard as admissable as comics
And when contradicts with comics,I think that just depends on individual opinions,
Someone think it's still valid as feats because it still was official published by companies
Someone think it's invalid because comics is the first hand sources.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Secondary sources.

This, basically.

Insane Titan
Handbooks should be ok if it backs up on panel showings etc

zopzop
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Secondary sources.

Originally posted by Insane Titan
Handbooks should be ok if it backs up on panel showings etc
thumb up

leonidas
it's always been that way. they can never be used as a sole source because they become so outdated so quickly, and internet sources are basically made up and NOT official. there are a couple good websites i guess, but they are never and will never be admissible as sole proof of anything. on panel is the only way to prove something. bios--good, reliable ones--can be used to supplement, but only where they don't directly contradict on panel evidence. that's been a forum rule for as long as i've been a member here.

Galan007
What about ambiguous scenes in comics that are expanded on by handbooks? Should we leave them ambiguous, or accept the Handbook's description?

DarkSaint85
Leave them ambiguous.

If they can't even get things like, say a character`s strength level correct, then how can we trust ambiguous scenes?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Leave them ambiguous.

If they can't even get things like, say a character`s strength level correct, then how can we trust ambiguous scenes?

thumb up

I agree. For battleboards' purposes, it's much safer this way.

Some handbooks are so terribly done, it's like reading some poor fan fiction. Hard to take their interpretation for granted.

Galan007
It's unfortunate because I feel like the Marvel Handbooks' inaccuracies have kind of f*cked it up for the other companies... Because most other Handbooks/Guidebooks/Encyclopedias(be them from DC, Image, Vertigo, Valiant, etc.) tend to get their facts straight and ARE very reliable sources, imo.

Mindset
Originally posted by Galan007
What about ambiguous scenes in comics that are expanded on by handbooks? Should we leave them ambiguous, or accept the Handbook's description? Whichever helps you win in any particular debate.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Mindset
Whichever helps you win in any particular debate.

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

darthgoober
What about ambiguous scenes in comics that are expanded on by handbooks? Should we leave them ambiguous, or accept the Handbook's description?
I'd say accept it, just recognize that it's not as concrete as what happens on-panel. After all, we've always said that handbooks are SECONDARY sources, not non-sources. Some things are just too difficult to work into the story in a well explained fashion without disrupting the flow of things given space limitations of a comic. They just need to be taken with a grain of salt, like writer interviews where the writer fleshes out ambiguity on-panel.

qwertyuiop1998
What about ambiguous scenes in comics that are expanded on by handbooks? Should we leave them ambiguous, or accept the Handbook's description? IMO,Should accept it.At least they still was official published by companies.Though this is based on I read dc handbook,encyclopedia guidebook is not have obviously contradictions with comics,

gauntlet o doom
I liked those handbooks, it made for a great source on what comics to read back when there was no internet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.