Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KingD19
NhaGN6rK2Eg

I'm actually surprised no one has talked about this yet.

This is the single-player, no microtransaction, story-driven, no live-service Star Wars game we seem to have been waiting on since before EA was given complete control over the license several years ago and just...flubbed it up.

Respawn is the creative force behind this(Same guys behind Titanfall 1&2 and Apex Legends), and although it's only a reveal trailer, it looks good. Also we've gotten promises from the team lead that like I pointed out before, it's single player, story-based, and no extras like, paying 10$ to get this and that. Release date is 11/15/19.

Tzeentch
meh

-Pr-
I can't have any enthusiasm for it until I see gameplay, tbh.

Kazenji
I haven't bought an EA game in years, This might be the game EA gets their hooks into me with Respawn behind it.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
I haven't bought an EA game in years, This might be the game EA gets their hooks into me with Respawn behind it. I bought both battlefronts just to have em lol.

I really like LOTR: Conquest before they turned off the ****ing online for it.

-Pr-
TtyoXez8ncU

ares834
My god this looks awful. The game play looks bland and boring, the AI is brain dead, and the graphics are pretty terrible.

-Pr-
I thought it looked fine, personally. shrug

Like a newer Force Unleashed.

ares834
TFU was only decent because of the ridiculous over-the-top force powers that let you do some crazy things. This doesn't have that.

It's boring and uninspired. Going to be a hard pass for me.

Arachnid1
It looks awful IMO. Linear and boring.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ares834
TFU was only decent because of the ridiculous over-the-top force powers that let you do some crazy things. This doesn't have that.

It's boring and uninspired. Going to be a hard pass for me.

He stopped time, pulled a guy in to the path of his own blaster bolt, then let it hit him. That's not ott?

Nemesis X
Missed the gameplay. I take it was bad.

ares834
Here you go:

8939aURV9Dc

Originally posted by -Pr-
He stopped time, pulled a guy in to the path of his own blaster bolt, then let it hit him. That's not ott?

Not really. Especially when compared to the shit you could pull in TFU.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ares834
Here you go:

8939aURV9Dc

Not really. Especially when compared to the shit you could pull in TFU.

I know it doesn't have the "move the grabbed object on any axis" aspect TFU had, but it still looks to me like there's a lot of fun to be had imo.

Nemesis X
Looks okay-ish but no Jedi multiplayer matchmaking is a bummer.

Surtur
Originally posted by Arachnid1
It looks awful IMO. Linear and boring.

To be fair the levels in the jedi outcast games were pretty linear as well and those games were excellent.

Surtur
I thought it looked fine, personally. shrug

Like a newer Force Unleashed.

Looked good to me, gave me a jedi outcast/jedi academy vibe.

Though that thing on the guys back in annoying.

Tzeentch
Gameplay looks stale. The disney hard-on for the OT era is stale.

edit- And I agree with Ares. The AI is so insanely suicidal that watching them die is yawn-inducing. You have stormtroopers literally stand around while the dude cuts through their squad. Is this really the BEST possible footage they could come up with? This is what they're trying to sell the game on?

Kazenji
Looks okay, They should've picked another level to show off the game.

BruceSkywalker
gameplay looks f$cking awesome...

im glad this isn't multiplayer

can't wait to play

NemeBro
Looks pretty bland tbh.

-Pr-
My expectations were pretty low due to EA being EA, but I like Respawn, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully what they've shown us so far isn't the best the game can offer.

It's still not a new Jedi Academy, sadly.

Smasandian
Ahh, this looks similar to Jedi Academy.

Trocity
Looks boring.

You can't cut off limbs with a laser sword in 2019?

I had a feeling this would be mediocre.

Kazenji
From what people have played of it on the E3 floor, The footage EA showed of it at their presentation it doesn't represent the game very well.

-Pr-
From what people have played of it on the E3 floor, The footage EA showed of it at their presentation it doesn't represent the game very well.

One of the gaming magazines, Informer I think it was, said a similar thing, but hearing it from the people actually at the show is more comforting. I've heard the world is far more open than it appears too.

-Pr-
So, as much as I'm looking forward to this game, they posted the PC requirements this week, only to get laughed at when people saw 32GB of ram as being recommended.

They quickly edited that down to something more conservative (8 minimum, 16 recommended).

Kazenji
I'm still holding out Respawn Entertainment does a good job of this game and doesn't let EA push for microtransaction's.

-Pr-
iirc the devs flat-out said there wouldn't be, so if they do add them it'd be a dick move.

Fingers crossed it's a good game either way, though.

Kazenji
iirc the devs flat-out said there wouldn't be, so if they do add them it'd be a dick move.

I know that they've said it but things could still change.

-Pr-
And it would still be a dick move.

I will likely get it either way. A single-player Star Wars game has been a long time coming, and even if I have to wait until it hits 75% off in a digital sale, I'll likely eventually get it.

I would like to play it sooner rather than later though.

Kazenji
Wouldn't mind if some of Respawn Entertainment's crew eventually takes control of EA, Get the company back into a somewhat working order.

-Pr-
Wouldn't mind if some of Respawn Entertainment's crew eventually takes control of EA, Get the company back into a somewhat working order.

That would be cool.

==

So with this game only a couple of weeks away, I have to say I'm definitely on the hype-train. And not just because it's going to be available on Steam as per EA's new deal with Valve.

The gameplay looks really interesting imo, and it looks like it'll have the kind of focus on saber combat Star Wars games haven't really had since the Jedi Outcast/Academy days.

New launch trailer:

xIl2z5wwjdA

Gameplay:

KqHBpes7R2k

Bentley
It looks better than the mainstream Star Wars movies lol

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
It looks better than the mainstream Star Wars movies lol

That's not saying much, to be fair.

Smasandian
It does look good. I like the slowness of the combat.

I wonder how long this game will be. If it's around 30 hours then I would be super happy.

-Pr-
So the game is out, and it looks like it's getting some pretty good reviews.

Can't wait to play it.

Originally posted by Smasandian
It does look good. I like the slowness of the combat.

I wonder how long this game will be. If it's around 30 hours then I would be super happy.

One estimate was about 16 hours for the story. A few more if you want to find all the hidden shit.

NemeBro
I can't be the only one disappointed with how you are forced into playing the most boring and generic-looking dude imaginable, right?

Why do so many games do this?

Arachnid1
Usually, agreed. In this case though, I like the actor. Plus, points for being a ginger.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
I can't be the only one disappointed with how you are forced into playing the most boring and generic-looking dude imaginable, right?

Why do so many games do this?

Trying to reach the widest audience possible, I imagine.

I mean, I would have liked a Jedi Academy-type species/gender selector, but then you don't get the whole "we mocapped all the actors" thing that seemed so important to them.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Usually, agreed. In this case though, I like the actor. Plus, points for being a ginger.

True; they're a dying breed.

NemeBro
Trying to reach the widest audience possible, I imagine.

I mean, I would have liked a Jedi Academy-type species/gender selector, but then you don't get the whole "we mocapped all the actors" thing that seemed so important to them. This is a bad thing. It's not interesting, they're making him look incredibly generic to be as safe as possible with their shitty new cinematic game.

On the real, who gives a shit about the character being mocapped? And if you must mocap them, why not mocap an actor who doesn't look so generic? Basically, I'm saying if they must mocap an actor, why not Jason Momoa?

Anyway, I read spoilers and this game gets a hard pass from me.

This game can suck the shit from my dick. The reason devs are comfortable shoveling out generic by the numbers shit that doesn't try to do anything interesting, innovative, or provocative is that they know they don't need to, and that their decidedly okay game will generate money regardless of the total lack of passion put into the project.

Kazenji
From what i've seen of the game it's a mixture of Metroid and Sekiro.

NemeBro
You forgot Uncharted, and maybe some Tomb Raider.

A game that tries so hard to do so many things passably without trying to do one or two things exceptionally is not a game worth playing. For me at least.

cdtm
This is a bad thing. It's not interesting, they're making him look incredibly generic to be as safe as possible with their shitty new cinematic game.

On the real, who gives a shit about the character being mocapped? And if you must mocap them, why not mocap an actor who doesn't look so generic? Basically, I'm saying if they must mocap an actor, why not Jason Momoa?

This game can suck the shit from my dick. The reason devs are comfortable shoveling out generic by the numbers shit that doesn't try to do anything interesting, innovative, or provocative is that they know they don't need to, and that their decidedly okay game will generate money regardless of the total lack of passion put into the project.

And odds are, the passionate people's ideas keep getting shot down. I heard a story about one dev with great ideas, and the board asks him point blank "The loot boxes on FIFA made us a lot of money. How is this game gonna do that?"

Surtur
I'm still mad the bounty hunter game got cancelled.

-Pr-
This is a bad thing. It's not interesting, they're making him look incredibly generic to be as safe as possible with their shitty new cinematic game.

Disagree with a lot of that, but fair enough I guess.

Smasandian
Yep, it's a pretty fun game.

NemeBro
Disagree with a lot of that, but fair enough I guess. What do you disagree with?

Kazenji
You forgot Uncharted, and maybe some Tomb Raider.

A game that tries so hard to do so many things passably without trying to do one or two things exceptionally is not a game worth playing. For me at least.

I haven't got a problem if a game burrows idea's from other games, It's how said game makes use of them.

cdtm
Sounds like GTA.

Everything they do can be found better in other games, but they do a lot of things at once.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds like GTA.

Everything they do can be found better in other games, but they do a lot of things at once.

Such as what in regard to GTA?

NewGuy01
The opening chapter was very visually impressive. Some of the dialogue was weird, though.

Smasandian
Sounds like GTA.

No, far from GTA as you can think of. It's nothing like GTA at all.
It's a Dark Souls lite Tomb Raider game.

From the 10ish hours I played, it seems to be well made.

Trocity
It feels kind of like last year's GoW to me.

Smasandian
Yeah, I agree with that. That's a good comparison.

xPRIMEx
How is the game?

-Pr-
What do you disagree with?

Mostly the lack of passion stuff. And, having now played it, Cal isn't generic. He's ginger. They're like, a dying breed in our world. I can only imagine what it's like in Star Wars.

==

The reason it took so long for me to respond is because I actually wanted to go away and play the game, as I didn't feel like I could argue any more for the game without playing it.

I'm two planets in and:

Story is good. Cal's motivations and situation are decent enough.
Graphics, sound etc are solid enough. I'm playing on PS4 though, so I'm sure the PC version looks better.
Gameplay is... I'm enjoying it. It's tough but fair, and if I'm being honest, I like the whole focus on defense and parries before striking your enemy down. It feels like how a Jedi should actually fight in a way.

Is it derivative? Sure. Am I going to hold that against it? Not any more than I do other games. It executes everything well enough so far, and as a side note: Any comparisons to the Force Unleashed are largely unfair imo. They're both good games that offer something different.

Looking forward to the next time I play it.

Jmanghan
This game is phenomenal.

Smasandian
This game is basically Star Wars new Tomb Raider game.

And I have no problem with that because it's damn fun. There is a lot of care in it as well. Respawn did a good job and I really hope they have a second chance.

Jmanghan
This game is basically Star Wars new Tomb Raider game.

And I have no problem with that because it's damn fun. There is a lot of care in it as well. Respawn did a good job and I really hope they have a second chance. For some reason I couldn't get down with Souls combat, but this is really fun to me. -shrugs-

Nemesis X
Respawn Entertainment's head honcho will be in charge of DICE as well. This'll be interesting.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/03/vince-zampella-dice-la/

Smasandian
Well, only DICE LA. DICE is still based in Sweden.

It's neat that there is a original IP coming from them because they have been a backup studio that works on DLC and etc.

BackFire
I really enjoyed this game. Was a bit rough around the edges but still very fun. Combat was solid for the most part, exploration was rewarding. Story was probably the best Star Wars story of the year. Good stuff. Look forward to the inevitable sequel.

Surtur
Unfortunately I can't play this until I upgrade my PC.

BackFire
When are you going to do that?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Surtur
Unfortunately I can't play this until I upgrade my PC. What rig are you running it on? I'm using a GTX 1050 TI, with an i7 processor and the game is running fine enough.

Of course it lags from time-to-time but it's rare it'll lag during combat.

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
When are you going to do that?

Honestly, 2021 is when I planned lol. I'll post my current specs tomorrow.

BackFire
How much are you planning on spending, and what components are you looking at?

I just upgraded my PC but I decided to get a gaming laptop instead of a desktop. Really happy with it so far. Performance is very solid and it's nice being able to move it around.

ares834
Which one did you get?

BackFire
Lenovo Legion Y540. 1660ti, 16 gigs of ram, high end ssd, nice screen. Got it for under a grand around black friday.

-Pr-
So, I finally got to sit down and finish story mode... And I really, really enjoyed it.

This is a really, really good game imo, and I think anyone that enjoyed stuff like TCW or The Mandalorian would get a kick out of it.

The only real complaints I have are that a couple of times the enemies had that same thing Bane in Arkham Origins had where, even if he was charging, his turning circle was still far smaller than it should have been, and I got clobbered. Thankfully, combat in general is more "tough but fair" than cheap, so it didn't spoil any of the fun. And it's really nice to be able to wield a lightsaber that feels powerful, and is animated in such a way that it actually reminds of the swirls and "swishes" of the prequels.

The thing I want to gush about the most though, is the story. It does start off slow, but once it gets going, it really gets going. There's an absolutely brilliant quest that shows you what happened during Order 66, and the final sequence of the game after the final boss? Excellent. I fully plan to do a second playthrough, I just wish there was a new game plus option.

Jmanghan
So, I finally got to sit down and finish story mode... And I really, really enjoyed it.

This is a really, really good game imo, and I think anyone that enjoyed stuff like TCW or The Mandalorian would get a kick out of it.

The only real complaints I have are that a couple of times the enemies had that same thing Bane in Arkham Origins had where, even if he was charging, his turning circle was still far smaller than it should have been, and I got clobbered. Thankfully, combat in general is more "tough but fair" than cheap, so it didn't spoil any of the fun. And it's really nice to be able to wield a lightsaber that feels powerful, and is animated in such a way that it actually reminds of the swirls and "swishes" of the prequels.

The thing I want to gush about the most though, is the story. It does start off slow, but once it gets going, it really gets going. There's an absolutely brilliant quest that shows you what happened during Order 66, and the final sequence of the game after the final boss? Excellent. I fully plan to do a second playthrough, I just wish there was a new game plus option. I agree with pretty much everything you said, I just wish there was more.

cdtm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Tcjik9jIE

I keep finding reviews like this.

Did I say review? Rants.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I agree with pretty much everything you said, I just wish there was more.

Same thumb up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Tcjik9jIE

I keep finding reviews like this.

Did I say review? Rants.

Mind giving me the cliff notes?

cdtm
Just a rant about how real fans don't want this and junk.

I hear parrying is big in this game. Is it like Metal Gear Rising?

-Pr-
Just a rant about how real fans don't want this and junk.

I hear parrying is big in this game. Is it like Metal Gear Rising?

Okay, so I watched it. And yeah, the EA stuff isn't wrong. EA are *****. They just happen to be ***** that own the license to like, 3 or 4 of my favourite IPs, and life's too short to not play something I actually enjoy.

As far as his criticisms of the game? He doesn't get to decide what a "real" Star Wars fan is any more than I do, and I'm as old school as they come. Yeah, it borrows from a bunch of other games, while forgetting that when Uncharted came out, people gave it shit for being a Tomb Raider clone. Either hold them all to the same standard, or don't. It's hypocritical otherwise. For me, not everything needs to be new, and at no point does Fallen Order claim to be.

As far as parrying goes, yeah, it's big, but if you (like me) aren't always great at parrying, then blocking and dodging will allow you to finish the story mode at least. And you can tweak the difficulty to allow you to do better too.

ares834

cdtm
Okay, so I watched it. And yeah, the EA stuff isn't wrong. EA are *****. They just happen to be ***** that own the license to like, 3 or 4 of my favourite IPs, and life's too short to not play something I actually enjoy.

As far as his criticisms of the game? He doesn't get to decide what a "real" Star Wars fan is any more than I do, and I'm as old school as they come. Yeah, it borrows from a bunch of other games, while forgetting that when Uncharted came out, people gave it shit for being a Tomb Raider clone. Either hold them all to the same standard, or don't. It's hypocritical otherwise. For me, not everything needs to be new, and at no point does Fallen Order claim to be.

As far as parrying goes, yeah, it's big, but if you (like me) aren't always great at parrying, then blocking and dodging will allow you to finish the story mode at least. And you can tweak the difficulty to allow you to do better too.

Like Dragons Dogma got ripped apart by Eurogamer for being unoriginal.

Lets just ignore the ultra polished mechanics and FUN, because it and Skyrim have giants.

-Pr-
Like Dragons Dogma got ripped apart by Eurogamer for being unoriginal.

Lets just ignore the ultra polished mechanics and FUN, because it and Skyrim have giants.

Fallen Order borrows:

Combat from Sekiro/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne

Wall-running/Traversal from Prince of Persia/Uncharted/Tomb Raider

The concept of back-tracking once you learn a new ability to explore new areas from a ****ton of other games.

But to me, at least, it does it in a way that's enjoyable. I played it primarily for the story and getting to swing a lightsaber, and on those two things, the game does fine imo, albeit with a couple of frustrating moments.

It's definitely one of those "more than the sum of its parts" games, though.

Jmanghan
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi-fallen-order/news/free-content-update

I'm so f*cking ready!!!! (That said could we get some subtle and small PvP?...)

Smasandian
Fallen Order borrows:

Combat from Sekiro/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne

Wall-running/Traversal from Prince of Persia/Uncharted/Tomb Raider

The concept of back-tracking once you learn a new ability to explore new areas from a ****ton of other games.

But to me, at least, it does it in a way that's enjoyable. I played it primarily for the story and getting to swing a lightsaber, and on those two things, the game does fine imo, albeit with a couple of frustrating moments.

It's definitely one of those "more than the sum of its parts" games, though.

At this moment, most games copy something from another. It's been too long and too many excellent games to wish all games were new.

Those type of arguments are valid for sure...but it's also personal and generally falls into if you loved/hate the game and need something to say about it. It's the same thing with "plot" holes. People throw them aside if they love the movie, or use them as evidence if they hate the movie.

Too me..this game reminded me of Tomb Raider. It has the same type of puzzles, openish areas you can go back too and Metroid style exploration. Sprinkle in some Dark Souls-ish combat and death system and you got this game.

And that's fine. This game was awesome and I had a ton of fun with it.

Jmanghan

I agree with this. I own almost every one of the movies on blu-ray except RoS, the entire series of Clone Wars and Rebels.

I own tons of SW games, I've completed KOTOR I & II, Jedi Academy, Classic Battlefront I & II, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed, and tons more, some multiple times over.

My first memory in life, PERIOD, is as a 4-year-old watching TPM for the first time, I'm a massive SW Fan and I L O V E D Fallen Order, it became one of my favorite SW campaigns, and the combat is very fun.

Just cause EA ****ed up Battlefront doesn't mean all their SW games will forever be trash...

..That said, they'll always be a shit company.

Smasandian
I'll make a counter argument that there is only a couple of companies out there who have the resources to make Star Wars games. Also, making a Star Wars game is not easy when every decision is decided by Disney. I believe Capcom has the same issues with Marvel with their fighters.

It has been rumoured that the current EA president does not like the Star Wars deal the previous CEO made.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes publishing in house after the deal is over and starts giving projects to individual firms.

Adam Grimes
I would love a Guerrilla, Naughty Dog or Insomniac Star Wars game.

-Pr-
At this moment, most games copy something from another. It's been too long and too many excellent games to wish all games were new.

Those type of arguments are valid for sure...but it's also personal and generally falls into if you loved/hate the game and need something to say about it. It's the same thing with "plot" holes. People throw them aside if they love the movie, or use them as evidence if they hate the movie.

Too me..this game reminded me of Tomb Raider. It has the same type of puzzles, openish areas you can go back too and Metroid style exploration. Sprinkle in some Dark Souls-ish combat and death system and you got this game.

And that's fine. This game was awesome and I had a ton of fun with it.

For the most part, agreed.

I generally don't care if they take mechanics or hints from other games, as long as it's executed well. And Fallen Order was, for the most part.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I agree with this. I own almost every one of the movies on blu-ray except RoS, the entire series of Clone Wars and Rebels.

I own tons of SW games, I've completed KOTOR I & II, Jedi Academy, Classic Battlefront I & II, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed, and tons more, some multiple times over.

My first memory in life, PERIOD, is as a 4-year-old watching TPM for the first time, I'm a massive SW Fan and I L O V E D Fallen Order, it became one of my favorite SW campaigns, and the combat is very fun.

Just cause EA ****ed up Battlefront doesn't mean all their SW games will forever be trash...

..That said, they'll always be a shit company.

I am glad that DICE was able to mostly fix Battlefront, but I'm not sure EA has learned their lesson at all.

I'll make a counter argument that there is only a couple of companies out there who have the resources to make Star Wars games. Also, making a Star Wars game is not easy when every decision is decided by Disney. I believe Capcom has the same issues with Marvel with their fighters.

It has been rumoured that the current EA president does not like the Star Wars deal the previous CEO made.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes publishing in house after the deal is over and starts giving projects to individual firms.

I agree to a point about resources. I just think it's a bad idea to put all one's eggs in the same basket.

Smasandian
I agree. Part of the problem was Disney giving the gaming rights to EA.
And EA then not doing a good enough job providing games.

We will see in the future what Disney decides but I have doubts a major publisher will want to take Star Wars on. High cost, high expectations and most likely little profit.

NewGuy01
Either hold them all to the same standard, or don't. It's hypocritical otherwise. For me, not everything needs to be new, and at no point does Fallen Order claim to be.

I think there's a valuable distinction between a game doing something new and having its own identity. There are plenty of games from tried-and-true genres that don't feel like they're copy/pastes like Fallen Order does.

Smasandian
Fallen Order has its own identity.

BackFire
Glad to hear this will be a series. I really liked this game.

Smasandian
I am not sure if I want another Fallen Jedi with the same main character. I think it would be neat to see another Jedi type character.

BackFire

NewGuy01
Fallen Order has its own identity.
Your opinion has been noted. I, and apparently a lot of other people, felt like the gameplay was very derivative.

The environments were stunning, though. Especially the first level.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.