Notre Dame cathedral fire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
What a sad day.

Robtard
It's all over the news so pick your outlet, nearly 800 years of history burned to the ground. Very sad loss, imo.

edit: Here's one link: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-notredame-facts-factbox/notre-dame-cathedral-burns-five-facts-idUSKCN1RR21T

BrolyBlack
90 minutes or less determining its fate.

Robtard
Here's a pic:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qhKHZDoxPGk/hqdefault.jpg

ares834
Terrible news. Damn it Frollo.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ajx65IcMqoQ/WLRxeQei3qI/AAAAAAAAHnk/HJHNne3IwU0Zkiue1mDsgJc7dQJygGqCQCLcB/s640/5-Disney-Villains-That-Deserve-Their-Own-Live-Action-Movies-frollo-hunchback-of-notre-dame.gif

Robtard
Unknown if the fire was intentional: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/apr/15/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-paris-france-landmark-live-news

edit: Mods, can you please merge this thread with the other NDC fire thread or delete that other redundant one, whichever is easier?

Impediment

dadudemon
I voted for the third option, like always.

And, I agree: sad that this happened. sad

Did anyone get hurt or die?

Impediment

BrolyBlack

Surtur
Roof collapsed.

Impediment

Robtard
Update: No deaths reported thus far, still unknown how the fire started

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Update: No deaths reported thus far, still unknown how the fire started

Good news. For sure.

TempAccount
It's just a church, albeit a very old one.

I remember when I asked Robtard if the life of some crook trying to steal/damage an uber rare 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible (worth 3.5 million USD) was more valuable (meaning was shooting them to protect the car worth it), he said no, "It's just a car".

I guess this is "just a church".

Hell, he'd probably say the same thing for a '55 Jaguar D type which is worth more than 60 million dollars. To Robtard, it's not worth shooting a low-life crook over to protect a piece of history comparable to Notre Dame.

Anyway I remember being far more disturbed when ISIS destroyed ancient Sumerian temples and artifacts a few years ago. Nobody seemed to care about that (far more priceless in my mind given their age)

Anyway my money is on the yellow vest protesters. Doubtful it was just some dude who left a dremel plugged in.

Bashar Teg
"Heh, take that libtarded France!" i'm sure you only meant it as a joke brolly, but was it really necessary? because it sure wasn't funny thumb down

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
"Heh, take that libtarded France!" i'm sure you only meant it as a joke brolly, but was it really necessary? because it sure wasn't funny thumb down

It wasn't him.

Bashar Teg
okay, this is confusing af; but i apologize, brolly.

correction: whichever dumbcunt who posted it and thought they were funny: you're not thumb down

jaden_2.0
okay, this is confusing af; but i apologize, brolly.

correction: whichever dumbcunt who posted it and thought they were funny: you're not thumb down

It's 2 threads merged. It was Rob who posted the poll. Broly wants the thread closed and restarted cos of it.

Bashar Teg
robtard... say it aint so sad

Bentley
I'm very touched by this event, it's devastating to see a place so familiar burnt down, my parents almost lost their house in a fire last year and I had the same kind of sense of loss nagging me all night. I know we will rebuild it and move on but many original pieces are lost for good, which is very hard to accept.

I'm happy that I forced myself to visit this place with the kids early this year. Since it's easter I hope they hold a public mass next to the burnt building or at the chapel exceptionnally. I'm not parisian but phuck, it's hard to watch the place burning sad

panthergod
No deaths...?

Whatever. I find this caterwauling quite amusing, though.

"Take that mass murderering fascist resource thief France" would be my take.

A prominent Mosque is also burning right Now. Im Sure it's not a retaliation at all...So far I'm enjoying this decline.

Bentley
Originally posted by panthergod
No deaths...?

Whatever. I find this caterwauling quite amusing, though.

"Take that mass murderering fascist resource thief France" would be my take.

A prominent Mosque is also burning right Now. Im Sure it's not a retaliation at all...So far I'm enjoying this decline.

I don't have any patience for people who support France's colonialism in any shape or form, but celebrating the destruction of a 800 year old church not shapped by any of the current french abusers is just a blank empty statement of intellectual mediocrity.

We did mourn the destruction of Palmyra. I'm sad that you feel that any kind of historical destruction is a motive of celebration, but more power to you I guess.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by TempAccount

I remember when I asked Robtard if the life of some crook trying to steal/damage an uber rare 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible (worth 3.5 million USD) was more valuable (meaning was shooting them to protect the car worth it), he said no, "It's just a car".

Hell, he'd probably say the same thing for a '55 Jaguar D type which is worth more than 60 million dollars. To Robtard, it's not worth shooting a low-life crook over to protect a piece of history comparable to Notre Dame.

Anyway I remember being far more disturbed when ISIS destroyed ancient Sumerian temples and artifacts a few years ago. Nobody seemed to care about that (far more priceless in my mind given their age)

Anyway my money is on the yellow vest protesters. Doubtful it was just some dude who left a dremel plugged in.

Cos a car has the same historical significance as the building where Napoleon was proclaimed emperor and where Joan of Ark was declared a saint. 👍

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Cos a car has the same historical significance as the building where Napoleon was proclaimed emperor and where Joan of Ark was declared a saint. 👍

Napoleon was such a little shit...

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Surtur
Napoleon was such a little shit...

Brilliant in Time Bandits though.

Bentley
Napoleon was a jerk and caused a bunch of death and dispair, but he did modernized France and was one of the first european rules to escape the dogma of kingship. Sadly history is full of those ambivalent situations because lasting peace is a relative novelty in modern history.

Robtard

That was my poll. Every view gets a chance to vote, even deplorable ones.

Patient_Leech
I went to Paris in 2008, but never went into Notre Dame. I don't think we had time.

This is a real shame. sad

Robtard

So much wrong, Kurk. So much.

-While lovely cars, your pricing is off still.

-Lives are more important than property generally speaking.

-Not all lives are equally valuable. You > some pedo rapist

-Not all property has the same historical value. 800 year old church with several historical accolades > a very nice car.

-I mentioned the ISIS destroying ancient pre-Islam relics and lamented their loss.

ArtificialGlory
Why the **** did my post disappear?

Robtard
Seems a mod deleted the off-topic whiny rants of certain posters.

What did you write though?

Update: Seems the building is still structurally sound, so that will make the rebuilding process easier. Fire seems to have started in the attic and is being deemed accidental; not deliberate. All good news, considering.

ArtificialGlory
Seems a mod deleted the off-topic whiny rants of certain posters.

What did you write though?

Update: Seems the building is still structurally sound, so that will make the rebuilding process easier. Fire seems to have started in the attic and is being deemed accidental; not deliberate. All good news, considering.

I wrote about the Libturds in France feeling the Bern. A fair comment, by all accounts.

Impediment
I was deleting off topic posts and accidentally deleted yours. My bad.

ArtificialGlory

panthergod
Originally posted by Bentley
I don't have any patience for people who support France's colonialism in any shape or form, but celebrating the destruction of a 800 year old church not shapped by any of the current french abusers is just a blank empty statement of intellectual mediocrity.

We did mourn the destruction of Palmyra. I'm sad that you feel that any kind of historical destruction is a motive of celebration, but more power to you I guess.

I'm sure the milleniums worth of child rape victims of the Catholic Church, one of the longest lasting terrorist organizations in history, are just apoplectic at the thought of a building burning. Oh the humanity.

TempAccount
So much wrong, Kurk. So much.

-While lovely cars, your pricing is off still.

-Lives are more important than property generally speaking.

-Not all lives are equally valuable. You > some pedo rapist

-Not all property has the same historical value. 800 year old church with several historical accolades > a very nice car.

-I mentioned the ISIS destroying ancient pre-Islam relics and lamented their loss.
How are my prices off? I literally just looked up their last selling prices at auction.

Lives are more valuable than property to what extent? Is deadly force justified to stop a potential bomber from detonating the Notre Dame? Worthless property, sure, can easily be replaced but those with historical meaning, like this church or a car that won Le Mans, serve as a relic to be passed down to generations.

D-type jaguar is not "a very nice car" like some contemporary Ferrari. It has historical accolades of its own, hence why it is worth 60 million.

I don't remember the ISIS thing getting the same amount of attention as this fire (which fortunately didn't destroy the church beyond repair), whereas the ISIS turned statues to rubble.

Robtard
Just looked, the last time a 55 Jag D sold was for 21.78mil, which set a record. But whatever, irrelevant.

In that scenario, yes, setting off a bomb is very dangerous to others and an act of terror and terrorist should be stopped with lethal force if need be. Killing someone because they want to steal a Plymouth? Not so much.

The 1955 Jag doesn't compare to Notre-Dame in historical accolades and value. Sorry.

I specifically mentioned that ISIS destroying these ancient relics was a very great loss to human history and I was not happy about it. I can only speak for myself.

Putinbot1
http://imgur.com/a/Je9Qx3j

TempAccount

The 1955 Jag doesn't compare to Notre-Dame in historical accolades and value. Sorry.

wtf not? It's a clear cut representation of how far human engineering had developed for the time.

Notre Dame has what going for it again exactly? Joan of Arc wasn't even real, and Bonaparte was nothing more than your average dictator. The architecture is cool, so what?

Silent Master
Notre Dame has what going for it again exactly?

Just several hundred years of history, but that can hardly match a car. right?

ares834
Originally posted by Silent Master
Just several hundred years of history, but that can hardly match a car. right?

Yeah, it's a ridiculous comparison. I would say that, even more so then it's historical significance, Notre Dame is important because of it's cultural significance.

Joan of Arc wasn't even real,

confused

and Bonaparte was nothing more than your average dictator.

facepalm

Silent Master
2A3HLWtHYWA

ArtificialGlory
I'm sure the milleniums worth of child rape victims of the Catholic Church, one of the longest lasting terrorist organizations in history, are just apoplectic at the thought of a building burning. Oh the humanity.
Ios4m639qis

jaden_2.0
A billion euros raised in 3 days for a building. Imagine that kind of effort to solve real problems.

Bentley

Did we imply somehow that the loss of a building is a worst atrocity than mass rape or crimes of war? You seem to be disingeniously looking for arguments to fit your narrative. Losing pieces of art and monuments is a sheer loss and it's not minimized because there are "bigger loses". That kind of thinking is, again, intellectually dishonest and low hanging.

If you must hate on catholics or french people just accept that you are filled with vile feelings and stop your fake rationality. It has nothing to do with a burning building.

Bentley
A billion euros raised in 3 days for a building. Imagine that kind of effort to solve real problems.

Agreed.

Now, being more realistic it often depends on who choses what constitutes a "real problem" and a "real solution". Overpopulation is a problem. Mass extinction of animals because of human activities is a problem. These are not things that will be solved solely by throwing money at them.

jaden_2.0
Agreed.

Now, being more realistic it often depends on who choses what constitutes a "real problem" and a "real solution". Overpopulation is a problem. Mass extinction of animals because of human activities is a problem. These are not things that will be solved solely by throwing money at them.

You're not thinking unethically enough. Pay poor third world families to get sterilised. Sorted.

Lord Lucien
You're not thinking unethically enough. This sentence brings a smile to my face.

Silent Master

What do you define as real problems?

Putinbot1
What do you define as real problems? Poverty.

Impediment

Poverty, homelessness, famine, shell shocked veterans, orphans, education, clean water........All more problematic than a 900 year old building.

Mindship
This is one of those instances where you do a double-take: how can something that's been around for so long and had already been through so much ... now? that's it? it's going? Sayonara to 850 yrs?

Thankfully, no.

jaden_2.0

Things like how half a billion people live with chronic water scarcity year round and half the planet with it for at least 1 month per year.

The fact the current rate of species extinction is as high as 1000x the natural background extinction rate.

Or that the global sustainability institute is predicting a massive collapse in agricultural productivity within 20 years without massive investment in new technologies and implementation of genetic engineering.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Impediment
Poverty, homelessness, famine, Shell shocked veterans, orphans, education, clean water........All more problematic than a 900 year old building.

Most if not all of those are already being worked on via government programs and in different communities through people donating their time and money.

jaden_2.0
Most if not all of those are already being worked on via government programs and in different communities through people donating their time and money.

There was as much money raised for this building in 3 days as Comic Relief has raised in nearly 30 years.

Silent Master
There was as much money raised for this building in 3 days as Comic Relief has raised in nearly 30 years.

Ok?

Impediment
Three days versus three decades.

Does it really need to be explained?

Silent Master

Does it really need to be explained?

I get it, he's upset that other people gave more of their money to something that they care about, rather than what he cares about.

Robtard

Does it really need to be explained? SM is a bit slow.

There' also the real fact that one is a cause to restore a building, albeit a historic one and the other is a cause to fight homelessness, starvation and poverty.

Putinbot1
I get it, he's upset that other people gave more of their money to something that they care about, rather than what he cares about. S and M... Really?

jaden_2.0
I get it, he's upset that other people gave more of their money to something that they care about, rather than what he cares about.

Obviously you don't get it. But then reading what people actually write has never been something you've been good at.

Silent Master
Obviously you don't get it. But then reading what people actually write has never been something you've been good at.

If I'm wrong, feel free to state the real reason you're upset.

Putinbot1
Obviously you don't get it. But then reading what people actually write has never been something you've been good at. in thecstyle of S and M. "What do you mean?"

jaden_2.0
If I'm wrong, feel free to state the real reason you're upset.

I'm afraid spoon-feeding retarded people isn't on my to-do list today.

Impediment
This building is beyond insured for Allah knows how much money.

People just want recognition for donating to the repair.

Nobody gets recognition for donating one hundred million dollars to fight poverty, famine, and homelessness.

jaden_2.0

Nobody gets recognition for donating one hundred million dollars to fight poverty, famine, and homelessness.

I'm sure the Macron assured generous tax breaks for donors have something to do with it too.

Putinbot1

Nobody gets recognition for donating one hundred million dollars to fight poverty, famine, and homelessness. thumb up

Silent Master
I'm afraid spoon-feeding retarded people isn't on my to-do list today.

IOW, I was right.

jaden_2.0
I'm sure you are in your mind.

dadudemon
I do agree that poverty and war are far more important issues to tackle than this building.

However, you can't force people to care about things that they don't care about.

Surtur

ArtificialGlory

Bashar Teg

ArtificialGlory

Bashar Teg
sometimes you deliver divine reasoning and sometimes you dump a truckload of horseshit...it's complicated

Bentley
Things like how half a billion people live with chronic water scarcity year round and half the planet with it for at least 1 month per year.

The fact the current rate of species extinction is as high as 1000x the natural background extinction rate.

Or that the global sustainability institute is predicting a massive collapse in agricultural productivity within 20 years without massive investment in new technologies and implementation of genetic engineering.

If more rich people could at least modify their activities to actively fight the bigger problems in our decade it would be very appreciated. I'm not talking about donations, I'm talking about industries willingly abandoning toxic pratices that make them save a dime and give them bigger margins.

None of this problems are solely about money, many of them have to do with corruption, competition and lack of tranparency in many professional activities. Also some small companies would get strangled if they had to suddenly become compliant to a new ruling that limits ecological damage and pollution of seas/crops. You cannot go around telling peoople "hey, now you can't survive with your activity, guess you have to work at a loss", their margins would need to be revised without their own workers being thrown into poverty.

Obviously compared to that rebuilding a church is a very short term and simple tasks that rich people can feel good about and validate their actions as passingly generous. Pretty much all the glory with none of the responsability

Robtard
Good post, Bent

Surtur
If more rich people could at least modify their activities to actively fight the bigger problems in our decade it would be very appreciated./B]

At the very least don't be a douche and do things like buy ice cream with edible gold flakes in it that cost like $800 a scoop. That's just a dick move.

Robtard
Oh shit, that actually is a thing.

Surtur
And of course it comes in a bowl by Versace because...I dunno, reasons.

Robtard
That actually makes sense and would account for a bit of the cost. Still retarded though.

Surtur
I see someone with an expensive car, I think okay cool.

I see someone eating ice cream that is $800 a scoop I think okay that's a psychopath.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
I see someone with an expensive car, I think okay cool.

I see someone eating ice cream that is $800 a scoop I think okay that's a psychopath.

I also avoid expensive clothing like that. I cannot stand it.

I like Express clothing. It fits well, it's usually high quality, and it looks nice.

However, it is generally overpriced. I wait until they have the twice-a-year 70% sales. I am not paying $120 for a shirt for work.

Probably got this way because I grew up poor. Money is important to me. No matter how much I make, I still live frugally.

Putinbot1
Is Surt trying to be nasty again? Fortunately, I can't read it. What I will say Bash is, you have a job, just be thankful you are educated and have a stake in the world. You're lucky, do what
I do and thank my lucky stars my life is worth living and I'm not Surt.

Surtur
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Is Surt trying to be nasty again? Fortunately, I can't read it. What I will say Bash is, you have a job, just be thankful you are educated and have a stake in the world. You're lucky, do what
I do and thank my lucky stars my life is worth living and I'm not Surt.

Lol real talk: there is zero point in putting me on ignore if you're gonna continually talk about me and ask about me.

Anyone who is a true friend to you would be telling you to put this shovel down and walk away.

Putinbot1
Hope he's not triggered smile

Surtur
eat

Putinbot1
I suspect he is shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.