Is Jimi Hendrix overrated as a guitarist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Jmanghan
Tons of people claim he's the best guitarist ever.

NemeBro
In actual technical ability in the modern era? Absolutely. Technical ability in his own era? Not positive, but probably not.

Influence? No, he's one of if not the most influential guitarists to ever play.

Is his music better than every other guitarists? A subjective question, there's more to musical than raw technical skill. Is his guitar music the best ever for me? No, not at all.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by NemeBro
In actual technical ability in the modern era? Absolutely. Technical ability in his own era? Not positive, but probably not.

Influence? No, he's one of if not the most influential guitarists to ever play.

Is his music better than every other guitarists? A subjective question, there's more to musical than raw technical skill. Is his guitar music the best ever for me? No, not at all. How would you pit Jimi against Eric Clapton?

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by P-Geyser
How would you pit Jimi against Eric Clapton?

KPJgtQwtVVA

Jmanghan
My uncle said George Harrison was one of the best as well.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Tons of people claim he's the best guitarist ever. No./end

Stoic
It was an entirely different era. At that time he was the best. Today? He's still relevant, but most certainly not the best of all time. However, if you were to remove present day technology that present day guitarists use, and give them Jimmy's older raw technology, many would fail to produce what he could.

Just something to ponder about before kicking his back in.

NemeBro
Originally posted by P-Geyser
How would you pit Jimi against Eric Clapton? Honestly not knowledgeable enough on either to make a comparison. Jimi is I believe the more influential guitarist, though Clapton I think comes in second place for his era and possibly in general. Jimi's guitar tricks during live performances also made him way more exciting than Clapton. On a purely technical level? I honestly could not begin to guess. I'm not a guitarist myself and like I said not super knowledgeable on either, and the difference isn't staggering enough for me to clearly say.

I think I overall prefer Hendrix's guitar work though, though I honestly if anything generally prefer Clapton's songs from what I've heard.

Jmanghan
Is the guitar solo at the beginning of the song "Through the fire and the flames" by "Dragonforce" as impressive as it sounds?

I always imagined it was an incredibly tough solo to pull off, but people keep telling me its good, but not great or super hard to pull off.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Is the guitar solo at the beginning of the song "Through the fire and the flames" by "Dragonforce" as impressive as it sounds?

I always imagined it was an incredibly tough solo to pull off, but people keep telling me its good, but not great or super hard to pull off. Does anyone really overrated Dragonforce anymore? Guitar Hero 3 came out twelve years ago lmao.

And yeah that's kind of accurate I think. It's pretty fast and long but it's just fairly standard tremolo picking I think, so if you have practiced to get the speed right and have the stamina it is manageable.

A solo like this for example I think is a lot harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV8lW7HUR4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m12s

I could be wrong though. Any guitarists still here on the forum? We had a few a while back but that was a long time ago.

jaden_2.0
Through the fire and flames is more difficult on guitar hero on expert than it is to actually play on guitar.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by NemeBro
Honestly not knowledgeable enough on either to make a comparison. Jimi is I believe the more influential guitarist, though Clapton I think comes in second place for his era and possibly in general. Jimi's guitar tricks during live performances also made him way more exciting than Clapton. On a purely technical level? I honestly could not begin to guess. I'm not a guitarist myself and like I said not super knowledgeable on either, and the difference isn't staggering enough for me to clearly say.

I think I overall prefer Hendrix's guitar work though, though I honestly if anything generally prefer Clapton's songs from what I've heard. Ah thanks. I love Clapton's old band "Cream" "White Room" is one of my faves.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
KPJgtQwtVVA Holy Sh!t....thanks.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NemeBro
Does anyone really overrated Dragonforce anymore? Guitar Hero 3 came out twelve years ago lmao.

And yeah that's kind of accurate I think. It's pretty fast and long but it's just fairly standard tremolo picking I think, so if you have practiced to get the speed right and have the stamina it is manageable.

A solo like this for example I think is a lot harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV8lW7HUR4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m12s

I could be wrong though. Any guitarists still here on the forum? We had a few a while back but that was a long time ago.

Just re-read this, twelve years ago holy shit man.

Dreampanther
Jimi is most definitely not overrated. However, he's not my favourite guitarist to listen to, because it's exhausting! If you want to let your hair down and set your mind free, there are few better, though.

My favourite guitarist to listen to is probably Mark Knopfler, simply because I prefer his style. Great music to listen to or just have on in the background. For tapping my toes Shakey Graves is probably my Nr. 1 guy at the moment.

Jmanghan
I really like the guitar aspects of Jimi's music, purple haze was great, I like it a lot more then "all along the watchtower", but man his voice is NOT for me, lol.

It's not that he's a bad singer at all, that isn't the case, but I just don't enjoy his singing voice.

Eon Blue

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Jimi is most definitely not overrated. However, he's not my favourite guitarist to listen to, because it's exhausting! If you want to let your hair down and set your mind free, there are few better, though.

My favourite guitarist to listen to is probably Mark Knopfler, simply because I prefer his style. Great music to listen to or just have on in the background. For tapping my toes Shakey Graves is probably my Nr. 1 guy at the moment.

thumb up

Knopfler has a really graceful and laid back style of playing. Perfect for enjoying a day of whiskey and sun.

Dude111
Jimi rox!!!!!!!!

He is one of the best smile

samhain
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Jimi is most definitely not overrated. However, he's not my favourite guitarist to listen to, because it's exhausting! If you want to let your hair down and set your mind free, there are few better, though.

My favourite guitarist to listen to is probably Mark Knopfler, simply because I prefer his style. Great music to listen to or just have on in the background. For tapping my toes Shakey Graves is probably my Nr. 1 guy at the moment.


Glad somebody mentioned Knopfler in this thread. Not my favourite artist by any means but his guitar work is phenomenal.

Hendrix basically invented thrash metal though.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by samhain
Glad somebody mentioned Knopfler in this thread. Not my favourite artist by any means but his guitar work is phenomenal.

Hendrix basically invented thrash metal though. Yeah, even if Brothers in Arms is more than a homage to Bird of Paradise by Snowy White.

Brothers in Arms https://g.co/kgs/gZdniR

https://youtu.be/hMAyGUYlX0E

But don't get me wrong, I'll forgive him anything for his guitar work on Big River.

Big River https://g.co/kgs/otqPcq

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.