If the founding fathers were around today...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zucc
Do you think would they have recognised that free speech should extend to the dominant social media platforms (i:e where most of speech today happens) or not ?

Surtur
Originally posted by Zucc
Do you think would they have recognised that free speech should extend to the dominant social media platforms (i:e where most of speech today happens) or not ?

They'd probably be confused as to why free speech rights don't extend there while at the same time a court in the past has ruled that President Trump is not allowed to block people on twitter lol.

They'd also probably be confused over how, given that ruling, Twitter is allowed to permanently ban anyone from their platform...since it denies them the ability to engage with Trump.

EDIT: To answer your question, yeah I think they'd recognize it. I think they'd realize it's becoming more and more akin to the public square.

Lord Lucien
Do you think would they have recognised that free speech should extend to the dominant social media platforms (i:e where most of speech today happens) or not ? First they'd have to be given a long reeducation on how to speak and navigate 21st century American English. That will include catching them up on world history, including the technological boom that took place since they died. They'll need this knowledge to understand what exactly a "social media platform" is. Hopefully they can pass the class explains to them what telecommunications and fluorescent lightbulbs are. Might have to explain to them electrons too.

But I'm sure that the wonders and terrors of the mechanized/nuclear/space/digital age will pale in comparison to what someone's political opinion is. After all, the Founding Fathers were close-minded partisans who didn't care about human progress and who only understood and spoke with a narrow-minded lack of ingenuity and curiosity.

MythLord
they'd wonder where their slaves are at

eThneoLgrRnae
Our Founding Fathers would be confounded at how so many people praise democracy and erroneously think that is the government type they gave us even after all the bashing they gave it time after time in quote after quote and ended up giving us a republic instead which is an infinitely superior government type.

Robtard
Originally posted by MythLord
they'd wonder where their slaves are at

Do you think they'd be more shocked over a Black man becoming President or an orange clown?

MythLord
Originally posted by Robtard
Do you think they'd be more shocked over a Black man becoming President or an orange clown?
Well the clown has a similar wig to their powder-tops, so I'm guessing they'd be more shocked at Obama.

eThneoLgrRnae
If you hate our Founding Fathers and the principles this country was founded on then perhaps you should move to a different country.

The founders did not endorse slavery. They just couldn't do much about it at the time and would've eventually gotten rid of it.

Now of course this thread is gonna go way off topic for 15 pages because someone brought up slavery.

Robtard
Well the clown has a similar wig to their powder-tops, so I'm guessing they'd be more shocked at Obama.

Fair point, but not 100% sure they'd feel that way after hearing both men talk.

IMO, they'd vote for Obama over Trump, if asked to choose.

MythLord
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
If you hate our Founding Fathers and the principles this country was founded on then perhaps you should move to a different country.
I -- thank Heavens -- do not live in America. And even if I did, I still have the right to critize a consititution that systematically oppressed an entire race for generations, and still indirectly does it today.

The founders did not endorse slavery. They just couldn't do much about it at the time and would've eventually gotten rid of it.

Now of course this thread is gonna go way off topic for 15 pages because someone brought up slavery.
Yes, they didn't endorse it so much that they actually kept their own slaves, some of them even hooked up with their slave mammas. So much were they against it that half of them agreed a black man was worth around 2-3/5ths of a white man, IIRC.

That eventually was apparently after a few decades?

MythLord

IMO, they'd vote for Obama over Trump, if asked to choose.
One stutters, the other incoherently repeats himself.
I think they'd just be confused and ask what gays are.

eThneoLgrRnae
Our Founding Fathers were very wise God-fearing (most of them) people. I always laugh my a** off at snotty little know-it-alls in this day and age who think they're wiser than our Founders and arrogantly think they know better than our founders did how our nation should be run. Talk about delusions of grandeur... smh.

Chuck_Schumer
The Founding Fathers were elitists plain and simple. Social democracy /= liberalism

Robtard
I -- thank Heavens -- do not live in America. And even if I did, I still have the right to critize a consititution that systematically oppressed an entire race for generations, and still indirectly does it today.

It's funny how those who pretend to be so pro-America freely do away with even the most basic Democratic virtue at the drop of a hat, the freedom to criticise government.

It's a good thing America is a Democracy smile

Lord Lucien
If you hate our Founding Fathers and the principles this country was founded on then perhaps you should move to a different country. Given that the modern political class is the artificial aristocracy and not the "natural aristocracy" that Jefferson spoke of, it's fair to say that all modern Americans (those who are elected and those that elect them) have rejected Madison's line of "No qualification of wealth, of birth, of religious faith, or of civil profession is permitted to fetter the judgement or disappoint the inclination of the people."

The current sitting president is the richest of them all and ran on a campaign boasting about being a billionaire who isn't accountable to outsiders for financial help. And a whole crop of previous presidents come from dynastic families or wealth. And that's saying nothing for the innumerable congressmen or judiciaries.

eThneoLgrRnae
What I said was the truth. You're canadian hence your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

Surtur
I -- thank Heavens -- do not live in America.

Where do you live?

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, us true patriotic Americans "thank Heavens" he/she doesn't live here as well. We have enough libturds in this country as it is. thumb up

Hey ML, whatever little shitty country you live in please stay over there.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Surtur
They'd probably be confused as to why free speech rights don't extend there while at the same time a court in the past has ruled that President Trump is not allowed to block people on twitter lol.

They'd also probably be confused over how, given that ruling, Twitter is allowed to permanently ban anyone from their platform...since it denies them the ability to engage with Trump.

EDIT: To answer your question, yeah I think they'd recognize it. I think they'd realize it's becoming more and more akin to the public square.

Yeah no kidding. Someone who is supposedly the most poweful person in the world is not allowed to simply block people on twitter lmao. They'd no doubt be scratching their heads over that one.

Surtur
Yeah no kidding. Someone who is supposedly the most poweful person in the world is not allowed to simply block people on twitter lmao. They'd no doubt be scratching their heads over that one.

I wish someone would explain why Twitter is allowed to deny American citizens a platform to engage the president on.

eThneoLgrRnae

Not sure. As Surtur says there'd be a good chance they recognize those as a public square and so would say that yes, it should be extended to them. Otoh, the opposing argument of course is that private companies can do whatever they like on their own platforms & so government shouldn't interfere. Problem is that those big companies like twitter or facebook are all damn near being monopolies. I realize there are other platforms but they don't get near as much of the amount of traffic as platforms like the two I mentioned above.

So I'm not really sure what the founders would decide but I'm leaning towards thinking that they would agree that free speech should extend to them.

Emperordmb
I -- thank Heavens -- do not live in America.
Yeah because Serbia is so much better.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Chuck_Schumer
Social democracy /= liberalism
Yep, and I prefer liberalism.

Surtur
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah because Serbia is so much better.

Lol surely he wouldn't sit here and talk shit about America whilst being from Serbia...that's right up there with being from the UK and talking shit about America.

eThneoLgrRnae
Lol surely he wouldn't sit here and talk shit about America whilst being from Serbia...that's right up there with being from the UK and talking shit about America.

thumb up Yep.

Now wait for litlle Pooty Bot to be triggered lol. smile

Emperordmb
I mean hey, as much shit as he talks about the constitution, it's the constitution that enshrines his right to talk shit about the constitution.

It's also our constitution that protects us in the US from the word police that are running around in other countries, prosecuting people for comedy videos, setting police on twitter to take legal action against tweets, making someone pay a transgender politician of all people $55,000 for factually accurately referring to them as biologically male.

Emperordmb
They don't even have recognized gay marriage in Serbia.

Surtur
They don't even have recognized gay marriage in Serbia.

How are they when it comes to free speech?

Emperordmb
Not particularly good apparently, but I don't know the details.

Surtur
Mythlord why did you appear to be so thankful to live in a place that doesn't recognize gay marriage?! You thanked heaven, you're legit giving thanks to other dimensions over this. Weird.

TempAccount
Yeah because Serbia is so much better. Serbian you say?

in that case...

Tw9zXepzEzA

4AwIWi6r0p4

TempAccount
Mythlord why did you appear to be so thankful to live in a place that doesn't recognize gay marriage?! You thanked heaven, you're legit giving thanks to other dimensions over this. Weird. Ironic because he claims to be bi

Robtard
Multiple posters triggered by Serbia... intriguing...

carthage

mike brown
they'd wonder where their slaves are at "You freed the what?!?!"
- some old white guy with a wig on

mike brown

IMO, they'd vote for Obama over Trump, if asked to choose. that's just flat out delusional imo

jaden_2.0
Not particularly good apparently, but I don't know the details.

Word is that hate speech caused them a bit of trouble not that long ago. Understandable they'd bring it in slowly.

MythLord
Mythlord why did you appear to be so thankful to live in a place that doesn't recognize gay marriage?! You thanked heaven, you're legit giving thanks to other dimensions over this. Weird.
I said I'm thankful I don't live in America, not that I'm thankful I live in Serbia.
I also frequently criticize my own country for all of its faults and negative aspects, so I have no idea why y'all are trying to shift to goalpost to my country.

It's blatant Whataboutism and deflection. lmfao

MythLord
We have free speech, actually.

We don't have gay marriage, to be fair, but we're catching up to that. It's mostly that the majority of our country currently is old, conservative people who were born at a time where extreme right-wing politics were the norm. Younger generations are more and more accepting of LGBT+ rights.
And our Prime Minister is a Lesbian, so there's that as well. Like I said, I recognize my country's flaws and am willing to discuss and oppose them. I'm sure that's such a strange concept to y'all... admitting your country isn't the #greatest. sad

Bentley
Muricans think they have the monopoly of spouting insults to their cutesy country.

Keep getting triggered boys, keep getting trigered.

Surtur
I said I'm thankful I don't live in America, not that I'm thankful I live in Serbia.
I also frequently criticize my own country for all of its faults and negative aspects, so I have no idea why y'all are trying to shift to goalpost to my country.

It's blatant Whataboutism and deflection. lmfao

I always find it fascinating to find out where those who run their mouths about America live. No need to get triggered.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bentley
Muricans think they have the monopoly of spouting insults to their cutesy country.

Where did someone in this thread say this?

MythLord
I always find it fascinating to find out where those who run their mouths about America live. No need to get triggered.
I'm not triggered, lol. I know this might seem like some sort of "gotcha" moment, but you're just deflecting.

Me living in Serbia doesn't mean I can't criticize America, since I also criticize my own country for the very same reasons. But I guess critiquing your own country is a strange concept to you. smile

TempAccount
I hate living in America and condemn my parents for emigrating from a certain Eurasian country smile

Robtard
If you like, I'll buy you a one-way ticket to Turkmenistan.

Adam_PoE
What I said was the truth. You're canadian hence your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

You believe in Creationism. Ergo, your opinion in all things is irrelevant.

Surtur
I'm not triggered, lol. I know this might seem like some sort of "gotcha" moment, but you're just deflecting.

Me living in Serbia doesn't mean I can't criticize America, since I also criticize my own country for the very same reasons. But I guess critiquing your own country is a strange concept to you. smile

You seem to be misunderstanding me, I'm not saying you can't critique America or that it's wrong for American citizens to critique America.

I've critiqued America plenty, especially the actions of our intelligence agencies(installing dictators, assassinations, etc.)

Robtard
Surt, you kinda did say that; here's the post:

Surtur
Surt, you kinda did say that; here's the post:

Okay Rob, I'm not indulging in the trolling games anymore.

Robtard
Instead of screaming "troll!!1!" to deflect away, you could have saved face by going something like "Okay, that was wrong for me to say in hindsight".

Surtur
Instead of screaming "troll!!1!" to deflect away, you could have saved face by going something like "Okay, that was wrong for me to say in hindsight".

I'm not going to indulge you once again arguing in bad faith lol. It's all you do here anymore.

Robtard
I'm 100% certain Myth would have accepted a "my bad" type of explanation, so you're being very childish right now.

Surtur
I'm 100% certain Myth would have accepted a "my bad" type of explanation, so you're being very childish right now.

Lol, you're doing it again right now as we speak. Just move on, it's over.

Robtard
In your own words:

Surtur
I'm not going to apologize or defend something I said in jest, something you know I said in jest lol. Jesus dude, you never know when to just stop.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Bentley

Keep getting triggered boys, keep getting trigered.

You jealous, bro? Yeah, we know we have the greatest country in the world. thumb up

Surtur
Anyways, getting back to the topic. All kidding aside I don't think the founders would approve, it is legitimately disturbing that we're told Trump legally can't ban people on twitter and yet it's a private company and it can ban anyone it wants. Which makes no sense since banning someone denies them the chance to interact with Trump on twitter.

You see when people rag on Trump and cry about a free press it's not really about a free press it's about them being upset Trump is using his 1st amendment rights in a way they don't like. He can easily circumvent them using social media.

Emperordmb
They also banned Carl Benjamin's campaign twitter account. So one could say a foreign power is interfering in UK elections.

eThneoLgrRnae

thumb up

Surtur
thumb up

I'm not saying America is perfect. I do like to ask people from other counties if they'd rather live there or here if they had a choice.

Robtard
We have free speech, actually.

We don't have gay marriage, to be fair, but we're catching up to that. It's mostly that the majority of our country currently is old, conservative people who were born at a time where extreme right-wing politics were the norm. Younger generations are more and more accepting of LGBT+ rights.
And our Prime Minister is a Lesbian, so there's that as well. Like I said, I recognize my country's flaws and am willing to discuss and oppose them. I'm sure that's such a strange concept to y'all... admitting your country isn't the #greatest. sad

Did not know Serbia had a openly lesbian PM. Learned something new today.

Surtur
They also banned Carl Benjamin's campaign twitter account. So one could say a foreign power is interfering in UK elections.

And did you hear about what is happening to Crowder on youtube?

He got 3 strikes, but got it down to 1.

eThneoLgrRnae
You seem to be misunderstanding me, I'm not saying you can't critique America or that it's wrong for American citizens to critique America.

I've critiqued America plenty, especially the actions of our intelligence agencies(installing dictators, assassinations, etc.)

Yep, we have plenty of problems as all nations do. We're far from being perfect but we're still far above all other countries.

eThneoLgrRnae
Also, Rob has absolutely no room to be calling anyone childish. In nearly every post he replies to of mine he childishly calls me a name: "retard, " "turd", etc...

Don't throw stones in glass houses, robbie.

MythLord

You did say I "surely wouldn't talk sh!t about America while being from Serbia" as if I don't critique my country for the same things I critique America for. Me being from Serbia doesn't make my argument any less valid, nor do I neccessarily think Serbia is better, I just happen to like the fact that I'm not American. smile

Did not know Serbia had a openly lesbian PM. Learned something new today.
Yeah, I hate her guts because she's rather corrupt, tbh. But she has some progressive ideas I agree with.

Surtur
You did say I "surely wouldn't talk sh!t about America while being from Serbia" as if I don't critique my country for the same things I critique America for. Me being from Serbia doesn't make my argument any less valid, nor do I neccessarily think Serbia is better, I just happen to like the fact that I'm not American. smile

Yeah, I hate her guts because she's rather corrupt, tbh. But she has some progressive ideas I agree with.

We were just poking fun at you bro, nobody truly thinks you don't have the right to say anything.

MythLord
We were just poking fun at you bro, nobody truly thinks you don't have the right to say anything.
I see. Ngl, it didn't seem like you were jesting(although it is business as usual for DMB to make jokes about that). But if you say so. No harm, no foul then.

Surtur
I see. Ngl, it didn't seem like you were jesting(although it is business as usual for DMB to make jokes about that). But if you say so. No harm, no foul then.

Heh yeah, well I figured you've seen me defend free speech before...and I did ask about it, but it's kewl.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.