Why does marriage still exist? Should it be abolished?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TempAccount
I really don't see what the point of monogamous marriage is in the 21st century outside of legalities and tax advantages.

Society will no longer treat you as an outcast if you have extramarital affairs or if you have kids out of wedlock, so needing to marry to procreate is out of question.

Traditional gender roles are slowly being eliminated as more and more women pursue careers and put-off having children. Schools and daycares seem to be tasked with raising one's kid(s).

I saw on reddit that unmarried couples living separately have the highest levels of satisfaction/happiness while married couples living together ranked amongst the lowest.

You don't need to marry to have kids, have a soul-mate, etc, so what's the incentive?

Gay-marriage almost seems redundant. Just eliminate the concept of marriage altogether and allow the legalities (POA, Inheritance, Wealth sharing, etc) be decided by contracts or whatever.

Archaeopteryx
If someone wants to consider themselves married, fine. If they want their religion to view them as married then that's ok too. But there should be no such thing as a marriage license for ANYONE.

Silent Master
So your argument is if something doesn't provide an advantage it should be outlawed?

jaden_2.0
SM with his trademark strawmanning there.

Flyattractor
Oh for the Good Old Days of Marriage just being when You hit a chick over the head with a big stick or rock...things are so complicated now a days.

Silent Master
Nice to see that jaden still doesn't know what a strawman is.

jaden_2.0
It's what you just did.

Silent Master
Nope

jaden_2.0
Yep

Silent Master
Nope

jaden_2.0
Y
E
P

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
So your argument is if something doesn't provide an advantage it should be outlawed?

Remember he's admitted he's in favor of military rule.

Emperordmb
Nope

Surtur
As to the topic, I expect it exists for some cuz of religious reasons and then they figure "why not take advantage of any legal advantages too?". Others might not be religious but might indeed do it for legal reasons. Others might have simply been raised on the notion that marriage is what two people in love do(I think this more than anything is why the divorce rate is as high as it is).

Should it be abolished? No, and not that it matters but I don't see how society would benefit from it if it was. Should stuff about it be tweaked? I'd say yes, I'll name one thing now: alimony. It's not necessarily a part of marriage, but rather a potential consequence of it. I think it is wrong.

TempAccount
If marriage is a religious thing then it should be separate from the laws of the land. No tax breaks, no POA by default, alimony, etc. It should be purely symbolic.

Otherwise how does it not infringe on the idea of the state not endorsing religion?

Flyattractor
If it is a Religious Thing then Why should it be Taxed or exempt? Thenit shouldn't be any kind of Thing to the Gubmint.

Stringer
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Oh for the Good Old Days of Marriage just being when You hit a chick over the head with a big stick or rock...things are so complicated now a days.

Ok virgin

Flyattractor
What every you say Candy Van Man.

TempAccount
up

Bentley
Isn't marriage a way for citizenship though? How are you going to make up for the illegals created by removing marriage?

Surtur
Originally posted by TempAccount
If marriage is a religious thing then it should be separate from the laws of the land. No tax breaks, no POA by default, alimony, etc. It should be purely symbolic.

Otherwise how does it not infringe on the idea of the state not endorsing religion?

Is giving a drivers license to a priest an example of the government endorsing religion?

TempAccount
Originally posted by Surtur
Is giving a drivers license to a priest an example of the government endorsing religion? The tax breaks and stuff are supposed to be an incentive for people to get married, so the government is promoting religious marriage. Such incentives don't exist for civil unionships.

dadudemon
I remember when this same thread was created back in 2008 in the GDF.

smile

TempAccount
Could you point me to it?

dadudemon
Could you point me to it?

No. This is not important enough to spend that much time finding a thread. Get to work. Find it yourself.

TempAccount
Originally posted by dadudemon
No. This is not important enough to spend that much time finding a thread. Get to work. Find it yourself. lol as if searching for an old thread is worthy of anyone's time. Was there anything significant said in it you would like to share (assuming you can recall)?

dadudemon
lol as if searching for an old thread is worthy of anyone's time. Was there anything significant said in it you would like to share (assuming you can recall)?

Yes, my points on it and probably DevilKing's.

But we had good points. smile

Lord Lucien
I'm absolutely in favour of officially eliminating anything that I don't have use for.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.