Nightmare Reaper

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
An upcoming retro style FPS, Currently in early access on Steam

zghpgec0S1w

cdtm
Another one.

There are just so many mods for Freedoom alone, let alone mods that require bona-fide Doom wads, that I can't ever see a reason to buy into a "retro-style" fps.

Partly because of the absurd amount of content (Complex Doom or Death4told and any given megawad could could keep you occupied for hours), but mostly because retro fps's simply haven't aged well. Not compared to, say. retro platformers, that actually had BETTER gameplay then many modern offerings.

It's pure nostalgia, mixed with curiosity of fps history and a desire to experience period pieces authentically, that keeps me playing older fps's.

But there's none of that from an "original" retro fps. It's like trying to read a modern comic book using 1950's art style. That works in small doses as part of something like Alan Moore's Tom Strong, but no one wants their every day Superman, Batman, or Xmen like that.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
but mostly because retro fps's simply haven't aged well. Not compared to, say. retro platformers, that actually had BETTER gameplay then many modern offerings.

Actually they have aged well and most of them have better level design then newer FPS. Also alot of the newer offerings are very linear except for some rare exceptions.

Kazenji
c4I7gfhhqbc

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.