metatextual vs regular fiction

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so this is from another thread that did not end particularly well. basically we all (many of us) love metatextual characters--especially higher level ones. see the yellow aliens from animal man and multiversity for examples.

but the very nature of metatextual is STILL fiction, and yet many of these metatextual characters are held in esteem above and beyond their more traditionally fictional characters. SHOULD that be the case? who are some of the biggest and baddest metafiction characters and how do they REALLY compare to the biggest and baddest traditional comic characters from all companies?

this is essentially more of a discussion than a vs match, but obviously characters will be pitted against each other here as examples. can the two types of characters even BE compared in any way that matters, or should the metafictional versions not be allowed to be placed in vs match ups?

all civil thoughts welcome.

DarkSaint85
Biggest Baddest meta character is obv Constantine thumb up

CatL18
I love Morrison's interpretation about comic and story.
Comic is living "meme" which interact with us.
So, I put metafictional importance above settings which can be changed.

-K-M-
I love the Mxy story which was just one page basically insulting the readers for being nothing and he will live on

Galan007
In Trano & Zaarn's case it isn't just their inherent metafictional nature that makes them so difficult to argue against. It is the fact that *only* the metafictional Supreme Being(ie. the real world DC writers) was stated to have any true power/authority over them -- they were his direct agents/hands. Seemed like some people were having a very difficult time grasping this, and I'm honestly not sure why.

But no, a metafictional character isn't automatically more powerful than a 'regular' fictional character *just* because they're metafictional. Mxy, for example, is a metafictional character, yet Dr. Manhattan has been implicated to be more powerful than him, even though he isn't a metafictional being. Granted, Manhattan's standing as Mxy's superior may or may not turn out to be true once Doomsday Clock has wrapped up, but I'm sure you understand my point regardless.

Metafiction or not, there still must be a tangible reason why one character is superior to another.

DarkSaint85
And that reason is that Constantine exists in the real world, and can punch you out thumb up

CatL18
Originally posted by -K-M-
I love the Mxy story which was just one page basically insulting the readers for being nothing and he will live on
I am glad that we can agree with same concept.
I hardly meet anyone who can agree in this point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.