FFVIII (FF8) Remaster

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Announced at E3, and scheduled to be out before the end of the year:

wpx2Z2CCjPs

I'm unapologetic in my love for FF8, but bar widescreen, controller support and updating the models and backgrounds, I wonder what else, if anything, they might improve.

Kazenji
Could be just the same one that the PC version has now.

-Pr-
September 3rd release date. Woot.

cdtm
Started it four or five times, never could finish. Not that I didn't like it.

Maybe time to dust off the PS1 copies, always did prefer originals to remasters for nostalgic reasons..

Impediment
I never played FF8.

I played FF7 for so long that I skipped 8 and went to 9 and on.

Am I missing out?

ares834
No. It's a decent game but nothing special.

cdtm
It's its own thing, not 7, and not 9.

I think it's worth experiencing, having some very good character arcs and a unique leveling and combat system (Essentially, you gain power by hoarding spell cards and linking them with stats. You do NOT want to grind out levels for power gaming, because enemies level up with you and gain new abilities as they do so.)

Kazenji
^ Really?...didn't stop me from maxing out some of the character's level's

hated the end boss with the 4 different forms and trying to survive them all.

cdtm
Did you grind much for spells?

Kazenji
Sure did, Doesn't take that long to do.

-Pr-
So this came out on Tuesday, and I'm currently on disc 3.

Have to admit, that while I had forgotten just how much I loved this game, I also never realised how ridiculously deep it is. Not just in terms of gameplay (junctioning and how gfs relate to each other etc), but in terms of how many sidequests there are that you can completely miss that give you good rewards.

An example is one of Zell's best limit breaks (if not his best), being available through a completely missable romance side-story.

I know a lot of people don't like junctioning or how magic is more finite in this game, but I haven't had many problems with it. At least, they aren't problems to me, and as long as you have something decent on your Magic stat, drawing really doesn't take that long from my pov.

I did kinda break the game, sadly. I spent a lot of the early game playing cards and card modding, so by the time I reached Edea on disc 1 I was somewhat OP with Squall.

As far as this being a "remaster", the only really big changes are the character/enemy models, which have been spruced up, and the fact that it's now running on modern systems. A fair amount of the triple triad art has been either changed or updated too. The game is still in 4:3, and the backgrounds haven't been prettied up either. I'm on PC so I'll naturally just mod it, but for those on console... Yeah. They use the original score rather than that awful midi one too, which is nice. And it is a beautiful score to boot.

SquallX

-Pr-

John Murdoch

-Pr-
I can't say that I've done it myself, but I have read that if you build their stats right, you can go in to the late-game with weak magic in your junctions, leaving your high-level stuff free to actually cast. I'm going to try that on my next playthrough, which I plan to start today, seeing as how I finished the game yesterday.

Loved it, but it was jarring to see such nice character models placed against such old, low-quality backgrounds (by modern standards at least). PC mods can't come soon enough.

Funny how they censored Siren and made Rinoa look less asian, but apparently Ultimecia's techno-boobs don't warrant a pass from Square's committee.

SquallX

-Pr-

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-

They also had her cleavage covered up apparently, From the picture's that i've seen looks about the same as the original to me just in better quality.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
They also had her cleavage covered up apparently, From the picture's that i've seen looks about the same as the original to me just in better quality.

It does look different to me, I'll admit, but it's more a feeling of... If they just did any one of those things, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when you change a bunch of things at once in your games, it tends to be more noticeable as a pattern.

And, to be crass, it's not like Rinoa was known for her cleavage in the first place. She's no Lulu.

draxx_tOfU
Playing this right now, my all time favorite FF title. Nostalgia overload.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
It does look different to me, I'll admit, but it's more a feeling of... If they just did any one of those things, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when you change a bunch of things at once in your games, it tends to be more noticeable as a pattern.

And, to be crass, it's not like Rinoa was known for her cleavage in the first place. She's no Lulu.

That damned morality department again.

I just want to know at what point they decided nudity was a big enough issue that they needed to form an entire department around censorship. I mean, hasn't the trend been for a loosening of sexual prudishness over the years? This is ass backwards developments, covering up things that passed in the 90's.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
They also had her cleavage covered up apparently, From the picture's that i've seen looks about the same as the original to me just in better quality. Originally posted by -Pr-

Not really sure who Square is trying to appeal to doing that other than people who still wouldn't buy the game.

Kazenji
^ It's not going to bother me, I know other people out there might lose their shit and possibly do a big rant about it on youtube.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.