Luke Cage vs. Aquaman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
Pure h2h brawl in a bar, both in civilian clothing. They have no knowledge of each other. First guy to knock out or tap out the other wins.

Adam Grimes
Aquaman

TheVaultDweller
Aquaman has better blunt force durability feats, and by quite a margin IMO, such as taking hits from Superman and the Karathen (whose limbs easily smashed through multiple large pillars with individual swings, even underwater). Arthur could simply outlast Luke.

ShadowFyre
Did superman ever hit him?

NemeBro
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Aquaman has better blunt force durability feats, and by quite a margin IMO, such as taking hits from Superman and the Karathen (whose limbs easily smashed through multiple large pillars with individual swings, even underwater). Arthur could simply outlast Luke. Or snap his neck by squeezing.

Adam Grimes
Edgy

BruceSkywalker
yea Arthur has way better durability feats.. Luke might be tough but he loses here

NemeBro
He also has better strength and speed feats.

He's superior to Luke Cage in every physical category. He's even taller.

Robtard
Originally posted by FrothByte
Pure h2h brawl in a bar, both in civilian clothing. They have no knowledge of each other. First guy to knock out or tap out the other wins.

Aquaman takes this with little difficulty.

Eon Blue
Aqua man.

Majestic PRIME
arthur 11/10

relentless1
Arthur

Putinbot1
Don't see Luke Para Demon surfing.

FrothByte
Just to play devil's advocate: Arthur got knocked out for a 10 count by a grenade launcher. Pretty sure Luke has tanked worse than that since his upgrade.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, but Luke's durability is weird because not all of him is equally durable. For example, I would argue that his piercing durability is disproportionately high relative to his blunt force durability, because of the fact that, while he is superhumanly tough throughout, his skin layer is still the toughest layer.

Surtur
Yeah, but Luke's durability is weird because not all of him is equally durable. For example, I would argue that his piercing durability is disproportionately high relative to his blunt force durability, because of the fact that, while he is superhumanly tough throughout, his skin layer is still the toughest layer.

Yeah, even though it was pre-upgrade remember what the shotgun did?

KingD19
Was it a 10 count? I was just watched the scene and without bracing that grenade launcher had enough force to send Arthur flying into the wall panel and destroy it.

But while he did lay there, it seemed like dramatic effect. Because he simply said "ow" with a smile on his face and hopped up without a scratch as soon as the Mantas got that "yeah we did it!" Look on their faces.

If anything I'd say he wasnt prepared for the heat and the impact. He wouldn't even have moved if he had braced his legs imo.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah, even though it was pre-upgrade remember what the shotgun did?

Yeah, but I don't really consider that particular showing really valid anymore, considering he's taken much harder hits to the same area since then without even being KO'd, never mind seriously hurt, on top of the canonical power upgrade.

A better example would be a guy like Bushmaster being able to cause internal damage to him with enough repeated hits, without actually managing to break his external skin layer at any point, seeing as that happened post 2nd dip. And that skin layer is also what protects Luke from a lot of the more exotic things he can tank, such as fire, acid, tasers etc.

FrothByte
Yeah, but I don't really consider that particular showing really valid anymore, considering he's taken much harder hits to the same area since then without even being KO'd, never mind seriously hurt, on top of the canonical power upgrade.

A better example would be a guy like Bushmaster being able to cause internal damage to him with enough repeated hits, without actually managing to break his external skin layer at any point, seeing as that happened post 2nd dip. And that skin layer is also what protects Luke from a lot of the more exotic things he can tank, such as fire, acid, tasers etc.

To be fair, most regular humans behave the same way. You can cause severe internal damage to a person's torso with blunt trauma without ever breaking their skin.

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
Was it a 10 count? I was just watched the scene and without bracing that grenade launcher had enough force to send Arthur flying into the wall panel and destroy it.

But while he did lay there, it seemed like dramatic effect. Because he simply said "ow" with a smile on his face and hopped up without a scratch as soon as the Mantas got that "yeah we did it!" Look on their faces.

If anything I'd say he wasnt prepared for the heat and the impact. He wouldn't even have moved if he had braced his legs imo.

I rewatched the scene and counted. It's actually closer to 20 seconds before we first see his fingers twitch, and another 5 or so seconds after that before he says "Ow".

So yeah, he might have been smiling, but in an official match he would have already lost.

TheVaultDweller
To be fair, most regular humans behave the same way. You can cause severe internal damage to a person's torso with blunt trauma without ever breaking their skin.

A normal human is still likely to show some bruising and such though, which Luke doesn't.

FrothByte
A normal human is still likely to show some bruising and such though, which Luke doesn't.

True, but then again most of these superhero types rarely show bruising consistent with the amount of internal injuries they suffer. It's not like this is unique to Luke Cage.

FrothByte
Anyway, I don't have an issue with people saying Aquaman will win, but I'm struggling to figure out why all of you think Aquaman is so far above Cage.

I mean, what feats do Aquaman have outside of water that place his strength and durability that far above Cage?

TheVaultDweller
True, but then again most of these superhero types rarely show bruising consistent with the amount of internal injuries they suffer. It's not like this is unique to Luke Cage.

In a lot of the other shows, sure. But Netflix tended to make a point of portraying those kinds of things in a more realistic manner than the average superhero show. Like when Jessica got hit by a truck and hurt her ribs, she showed bruising IIRC. And pretty much every time Daredevil took off his shirt in S3 he looked almost as much purple as he did white lol.

Robtard
Anyway, I don't have an issue with people saying Aquaman will win, but I'm struggling to figure out why all of you think Aquaman is so far above Cage.

I mean, what feats do Aquaman have outside of water that place his strength and durability that far above Cage?

I don't think Aquaman is strong enough to casually hold down Cage with one arm and rape him like say Superman could, but he's shown greater strength feats. Fighting and holding his own against Steppenwolf, who seemed to be on par or stronger than Wonder Woman.

NemeBro

I mean, what feats do Aquaman have outside of water that place his strength and durability that far above Cage? Cite a single source that states Aquaman magically gets stronger in water. You people continue to perpetuate this lie when I have proven it's bullshit, which I will do again for you when I get home.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Robtard
I don't think Aquaman is strong enough to casually hold down Cage with one arm and rape him like say Superman could, but he's shown greater strength feats. Fighting and holding his own against Steppenwolf, who seemed to be on par or stronger than Wonder Woman. He can. He could pull Cage's head off with his anus.

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
He can. He could pull Cage's head off with his anus.

Which feats are you thinking of to support this impressive act?

FrothByte
I don't think Aquaman is strong enough to casually hold down Cage with one arm and rape him like say Superman could, but he's shown greater strength feats. Fighting and holding his own against Steppenwolf, who seemed to be on par or stronger than Wonder Woman.

Yeah but what strength feats do Wonder Woman have that makes you think she's that far above Cage?

We know WW and Steppenwolf are not as strong as Superman. I don't recall WW ever engaging Steppenwolf in a pure strength contest. Mostly she engaged him in weapons combat, not direct wrestling or anything.

Robtard
Yeah but what strength feats do Wonder Woman have that makes you think she's that far above Cage?

We know WW and Steppenwolf are not as strong as Superman. I don't recall WW ever engaging Steppenwolf in a pure strength contest. Mostly she engaged him in weapons combat, not direct wrestling or anything.

Going up against a butt-mad and semi-insane Superman and not doing all that bad for herself.

Maybe I'm forgetting as it's been some time, but didn't they trade blows and lock weapons a few times and their strength seemed to be pretty close?

KingD19

Diana casually lifted a tank. We've never even seen Luke lift a vehicle, and though I don't doubt he could do it, I don't see him hoisting a tank over his head as easy as she did. Like a sedan or a truck yeah, but not that.

She also can jump a lot further than him, showing greater leg muscles(before she learned to fly and her super speed). Like when she jumped into the clock tower and demolished it from the ground.

And she went up against Superman without dying.

FrothByte
Going up against a butt-mad and semi-insane Superman and not doing all that bad for herself.

Maybe I'm forgetting as it's been some time, but didn't they trade blows and lock weapons a few times and their strength seemed to be pretty close?

Nah, she was getting completely wrecked by Superman. It wasn't a good showing at all.

First she tried a surprise shield bash against Superman that barely moved him, to which he retaliated with a punch against her shield that threw her back.

Then she lassoed his arm and tried to pull him with her whole body, at which point he started pulling with his single arm and overpowered her whole body.

Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman then try to gang up on Superman and he doesn't even budge an inch and casually throws them all away.

Superman stops WW from doing her bracer smash and easily pulls her arms apart. He gives her a quick headbutt that rocks her, she retaliates with a headbutt of her own that rocks his head back (her best feat so far) and then he flies a bit and headbutts her to the ground. She's out.

So in the end, she was only able to put in one decent shot against Superman (her headbutt) and it didn't really do anything. That's not exactly a good feat for WW. It shows how big the disparity in their strength is.

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
Diana casually lifted a tank. We've never even seen Luke lift a vehicle, and though I don't doubt he could do it, I don't see him hoisting a tank over his head as easy as she did. Like a sedan or a truck yeah, but not that.

She also can jump a lot further than him, showing greater leg muscles(before she learned to fly and her super speed). Like when she jumped into the clock tower and demolished it from the ground.

And she went up against Superman without dying.

Luke Cage casually shoulder checked a speeding SUV and he didn't even move an inch. Granted, a tank is a lot heavier than an SUV but the SUV had force and momentum behind it whereas the tank was at rest.

And yes, WW jumps further but then Cage casually shrugs off bullets whereas WW needs to block them.

Superman was completely wrecking WW. That wasn't a good showing for WW. The only reason she didn't die was because he wasn't intent on killing her.

Robtard
Nah, she was getting completely wrecked by Superman. It wasn't a good showing at all.

First she tried a surprise shield bash against Superman that barely moved him, to which he retaliated with a punch against her shield that threw her back.

Then she lassoed his arm and tried to pull him with her whole body, at which point he started pulling with his single arm and overpowered her whole body.

Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman then try to gang up on Superman and he doesn't even budge an inch and casually throws them all away.

Superman stops WW from doing her bracer smash and easily pulls her arms apart. He gives her a quick headbutt that rocks her, she retaliates with a headbutt of her own that rocks his head back (her best feat so far) and then he flies a bit and headbutts her to the ground. She's out.

So in the end, she was only able to put in one decent shot against Superman (her headbutt) and it didn't really do anything. That's not exactly a good feat for WW. It shows how big the disparity in their strength is.

100% disagreed and here's why:

Considering it was Superman and he was buttmad/temp insane, that actually is a good showing for her. Luke Cage would have been turned into red paste by Superman's flying headbutt.

FrothByte
100% disagreed and here's why:

Considering it was Superman and he was buttmad/temp insane, that actually is a good showing for her. Luke Cage would have been turned into red paste by Superman's flying headbutt.

100% disagreed and here's why: Superman wasn't trying to kill Wonder Woman. In fact, he wasn't the aggressor with her. Watch the fight and you'll notice that she was the one throwing the first punches. Superman was simply retaliating. And even then, once WW was down he would stop attacking her and move on. It was Batman and Cyborg he was going after.

Robtard
That didn't counter what I said doh. Supwerman was still trying to put her down and she took it, save the last biggest hit, that's a positive towards her abilities, considering we're talking about Superman here. He also broke off from her because he wanted Batman's ass.

Cage would've been turned into confetti after the first and lesser headbutt.

NemeBro
"Well, I think firstly one thing I've been very cautious about doing is making sure that he isn't Superman," Wan explained. "From a story standpoint there's a reason why Aquaman ultimately is powerful. He's strong because, like most Atlanteans, their bodies are built to withstand thousands of pounds of pressure, they live so far down. So when they come up, their body is... they're not aliens from another planet, but because of the physics of our planet and all that stuff, when they come up to the surface world their body can withstand really strong pressure. And so where bullets literally bounce off the Man of Steel, bullets can graze these guys and maybe break the skin, and break the flesh, but it doesn't necessarily penetrate because they their muscle mass and their body mass is much more dense. Even within the world of superheroes I try to find a reason for why how he is the way he is. So he can get beaten up. When he goes up, surface world weapons may have a hard time taking him down, but Atlantian technology can cripple him for sure. It can really destroy him."
- James Wan

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/17/aquaman-differences-from-superman-james-wan/

Aquaman's strength isn't because he is underwater, it is because he has evolved to thrive in those harsh conditions.

Once again, I challenge anyone here to cite a single source that states Aquaman is stronger in water than without. He's not Namor.

So with this in mind, yes, he completely eclipses Luke Cage on every level. Cage's skin might be harder, but that's it. Luke Cage has what? Stopped a speeding SUV?

Arthur has pushed a submarine above the surface.

Oh, and Diana would also take Cage out with a single punch, and could take his best punch with a smile.

She could stop a punch from Doomsday with her sword:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BasicDigitalAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

She could injure his leg with a shield bash (the orange glow always appeared when he was wounded, and signified his healing factor kicking in):

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InexperiencedCarelessBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

And of course, tanks getting punched by Doomsday:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z5PBjZCOU8Gys/giphy.gif

Cage is far out of his depth here, or against any JLer but Batman.

ares834
thumb up

This is a mismatch.

-Pr-
"Well, I think firstly one thing I've been very cautious about doing is making sure that he isn't Superman," Wan explained. "From a story standpoint there's a reason why Aquaman ultimately is powerful. He's strong because, like most Atlanteans, their bodies are built to withstand thousands of pounds of pressure, they live so far down. So when they come up, their body is... they're not aliens from another planet, but because of the physics of our planet and all that stuff, when they come up to the surface world their body can withstand really strong pressure. And so where bullets literally bounce off the Man of Steel, bullets can graze these guys and maybe break the skin, and break the flesh, but it doesn't necessarily penetrate because they their muscle mass and their body mass is much more dense. Even within the world of superheroes I try to find a reason for why how he is the way he is. So he can get beaten up. When he goes up, surface world weapons may have a hard time taking him down, but Atlantian technology can cripple him for sure. It can really destroy him."
- James Wan

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/17/aquaman-differences-from-superman-james-wan/

Aquaman's strength isn't because he is underwater, it is because he has evolved to thrive in those harsh conditions.

Once again, I challenge anyone here to cite a single source that states Aquaman is stronger in water than without. He's not Namor.

So with this in mind, yes, he completely eclipses Luke Cage on every level. Cage's skin might be harder, but that's it. Luke Cage has what? Stopped a speeding SUV?

Arthur has pushed a submarine above the surface.

Oh, and Diana would also take Cage out with a single punch, and could take his best punch with a smile.

She could stop a punch from Doomsday with her sword:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BasicDigitalAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

She could injure his leg with a shield bash (the orange glow always appeared when he was wounded, and signified his healing factor kicking in):

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InexperiencedCarelessBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

And of course, tanks getting punched by Doomsday:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z5PBjZCOU8Gys/giphy.gif

Cage is far out of his depth here, or against any JLer but Batman.

Prety much. And it's most likely the comics, as in, it used to be a thing that Aquaman's power was vastly greater underwater, and even being out of water would severely hinder him after a time. It was inconsistent as hell, though.

Darth Thor

Theres nothing mentioned or even implied (so far) about Aquaman being stronger in water.

So yeah, given Aquaman lifted a submarine, I dont get how this is even a contest tbh.

FrothByte
That didn't counter what I said doh. Supwerman was still trying to put her down and she took it, save the last biggest hit, that's a positive towards her abilities, considering we're talking about Superman here. He also broke off from her because he wanted Batman's ass.

Cage would've been turned into confetti after the first and lesser headbutt.

Superman also backhanded Batman yet he didn't get turned to mush. Are you saying Cage wouldn't have survived that?

KingD19
Superman also backhanded Batman yet he didn't get turned to mush. Are you saying Cage wouldn't have survived that?

The force of the hits were clearly different. Bruce barely dented a cop car.

Adam Grimes
Honestly Batman shouldn't have been ok after that. And he kind of wasn't tbh.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, he was all bruised and battered up after that, as shown a bit later on the film. The hit itself actually reminded me of this moment from Deadpool:

http://i.imgur.com/2fVKezL.gifv

Bruce and Wade can form a club.

NemeBro
Superman also backhanded Batman yet he didn't get turned to mush. Are you saying Cage wouldn't have survived that? Yes. thumb up

FrothByte
Yes. thumb up

So Batman is tougher than Cage?

NemeBro
So Batman is tougher than Cage? Yes. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.