Health Insurance Incentivizes Obesity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TempAccount

NemeBro
Have you considered that obesity might lead to health insurance instead? Fatter people tend to have more health problems, necessitating health insurance more.

Did any of those studies study a group of people over a period of time after first becoming insured and noting weight gain, or did they just notice a correlation?

dadudemon
Seems like a classic example of conflating correlation and causation.

What happens to those figures when done in a country with a universal healthcare option?

Based on the quick checks I did with the G20 countries, countries with universal healthcare options were anywhere from slightly to far more likely to be less obese than their non-universal healthcare having countries.

I controlled for age, education, income, gender, and race. Hilariously, the differences were so stark that I didn't need to do that.

Conslusion: since my sample size is thousands of times larger than that poorly done study and I didn't conflate correlation and causation, we are far more likely to prevent obesity and healthcare issues with a universal healthcare solution. More specifically, health insurance lowers obesity.

Citation:

https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2017.pdf

gold slorg
thumb up tbh

TempAccount
It's interesting that those on medicaid/medicare tend to be even more obese than those on private insurance.

Surtur
The day I first got car insurance I was immediately incentivized to drive my car into a brick wall.

dadudemon
Originally posted by TempAccount
It's interesting that those on medicaid/medicare tend to be even more obese than those on private insurance.

I couldn't find a single source for this.

But why would a person on medicare be more obese than their peers not on medicare when they get lower cost obesity programs than their peers?

And what's the difference between private insurance holders and medicare insurance holders when they use the same doctors and healthcare services?

Careful how you frame your evidence: you could just be measuring poverty in yet another of the thousands of ways we keep rediscovering it in data.

quanchi112
This thread is ridiculous.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.