Stephen King is a overrated writer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deft
He is? Why?

BadMojoScootr
king is a leftist nut with trump derangement syndrome

cdtm
Originally posted by deft
He is? Why?

Because he's a popular mass consumption writer.

That means jealous literary snobs need to attack him, like a certain Yale professor.

God forbid anything exists merely to enjoy, or is accessible by the unwashed masses.

Adam Grimes
I find literary snobs really delightful to encounter. They are like that rich guy that buys a shit stain claiming it to be the epitome of art, but poor.

Putinbot1
King is the greatest and most diverse writer of the Television age. He is popularist and ground breaking, he is so good in fact that books he didn't write under his own name made the best seller lists worldwide and did it again when he released them under his real name.

He also wrote the srory for the greatest movie of all time. The Shawshank Redemption.

King is, the King.

samhain
He is certainly the greatest living writer. Practically everybody on the planet has heard of him and most of the ones who haven't have still seen The Running Man. I do find he rushes the endings of so many of his books, it's like he goes; Screw it, only another 85 pages and I get paid, I'm finishing this tonight!

NemeBro
King is okay. The vitriol some throw at him is overblown as there are far inferior writers of "popular" genre literature and he has written some very good work, but he's also penned some real garbage and even some of his better stories can be internally inconsistent and corny.

Wonder Man
He should go post modern

Surtur
He puts out a lot of books and I think a not so small amount are crappy. However, I think when he's good he is really good. He's like a baseball player who either strikes out or hits a home run every time he is at bat.

peterpaker44

sueambrose121
You are not of course. Have you ever tried to write something big at all? I think 98% of people will say no. It's hard work and only talented people like Stephen King can handle it. I recently tried to write a dissertation myself. As a result, I asked for help on the platform, so that they would write my dissertation for me, I used https://edubirdie.com/write-my-thesis for this. Just try to write something yourself .... And King does it with incredible stories from which you cannot recover for a long time.

cdtm
Originally posted by NemeBro
King is okay. The vitriol some throw at him is overblown as there are far inferior writers of "popular" genre literature and he has written some very good work, but he's also penned some real garbage and even some of his better stories can be internally inconsistent and corny.

The Dark Tower is like his career in brief. Starts off super strong, until about the fourth book or so, and becomes a rambling mess where with far too many pages devoted to his literal self insert character.

I don't really like how the Tower lore affects his better stories either. It turned the "god" of The Stand into, what, just the god of that level of the tower? Not Gan?

And Randall Flagg went out like a chump. Featured as a main antagonist in two stories, and gets taken out by a pointless spider baby.

PagNefseskv
buy plaquenil online <a href="https://hydroxywithchloroquine.com/#">buy chloroquine</a>

samhain
Originally posted by cdtm
The Dark Tower is like his career in brief. Starts off super strong, until about the fourth book or so, and becomes a rambling mess where with far too many pages devoted to his literal self insert character.

I don't really like how the Tower lore affects his better stories either. It turned the "god" of The Stand into, what, just the god of that level of the tower? Not Gan?

And Randall Flagg went out like a chump. Featured as a main antagonist in two stories, and gets taken out by a pointless spider baby.

I see them as just iterations of those characters.

Old Man Whirly!
Billy Sommers is his best book for years a solid 4 out of 5.

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
I see them as just iterations of those characters.

I can dig it, even if close to fanon theory.

But they did establish multiple variations of characters, so I can hold onto my theory that a version of Roland didn't get royally screwed over by Gan.

Just saved the multiverse, but no lets punish him for minor and arguably necessary to the big picture hubris.

Blakemore
The Shining and Shawshank were cool. ermm

ColinGrimes
I think that he is an amazing writer. I've read a lot of his books, and his writing style, plots, everything is genius. I've also read books of another author in such a genre, but for me, it wasn't the same.
We were talking about Steven King a literature course, and I even wrote a paper dedicated to his books and biography. It was an analytical paper, and uk.edubirdie was the resource with helped me with it because it's not that easy to write such papers, based on so many books.
But I can say that he is one of the best writers, and it's worth reading his books

Blakemore
I'm only going by the two I mentioned, but both have themes of isolation, entrapment and alcoholism.

I mean, that's my life. I'd imagine I'd like em more if they weren't so close to heart.

The films were great though.

celjayjack
Frankly speaking, it's difficult for me to read his books.

SimonDavidson
I don't agree with you. For me, Stephen King is a great writer.

cdtm
Originally posted by deft
He is? Why?

You tell us, you asked the question.

I don't believe he is. I think King is the "King" of pop culture novels. Wide variety of content, very easily read, good world building.

Is he perfect? No, far from it. His Dark Tower series shows his weaknesses, with strong stories at the beginning, solid middle volumes, and collapsing under itself towards the end. Book 7 was disappointing in many ways.

cdtm
Originally posted by BadMojoScootr
king is a leftist nut with trump derangement syndrome

Yale literary professor hates him. The fact is, left wing snobs HATE popular writers of Kings ilk.

Because everything should be impenetrable like Gravities Rainbow or dry.

Balgoritin8
Hmmmm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.