Cutting cable cord/streaming service help

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Badabing
I want to get rid of cable. I was looking into Hulu and think it's the best fit. All my TVs are smart TVs, so that won't be an issue.

My questions for people who use streaming services are:

- Did you buy a Fire Stick or Roku? Are they needed, or recommended, for smart TVs?

- Are there separate boxes/remotes used, or available, with Hulu?

- Do shows air at their normal times, or are they just ready for streaming once they air?

Edit:
- I live in the USA, if there are other streaming services you'd recommend please post them.

Thank you in advance.

Robtard
I have and used at one time or another an Amazon stick, Google, Roku and Apple TV. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn't need any of these, you should be able to download all the apps you need and launch directly from the television.

They all come with remotes except for the Google device, that one you control with a smart phone or tablet (unless the never ones have remotes now?)

Hulu tends to release their shows (eg Handmaid's Tale) on a weekly basis, Netflix releases the whole season at once. I think Amazon also releases the whole season at once.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix, here's how I'd rate them in terms of use and content:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

But each have shows that are specific to their platform and also of note, Netflix will be losing a lot of content with the upcoming surge of new services like Disney's, HBO's new streaming service and there's others I forget.

dadudemon
If you like any of the HBO stuff, HBONow. I watched Westworld on mobile when I was traveling a lot last year. It was nice.

Everything else Robtard said: thumb up

Also, if you are an Apple person, get an AppleTV. If not, you should be fine with what you've suggested.

Adam_PoE
I cannot seem to get high-speed Internet service without a cable television package.

Robtard
Some providers do that in some areas, as a way to force services on customers.

Surtur
I have a roku stick. The tv I bought came with its own roku but it works like shit and always f*cks up.

SquallX
An amazon stick is the way to go really.

ArtificialGlory
Forget all that stupid shit and be a real dinosaur - torrent stuff.

staxamillion
firestick - it is way easy to get third party apps that you can still stream cable channels and more for no cost... I mean if you are into that sorta thong

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Badabing
I want to get rid of cable. I was looking into Hulu and think it's the best fit. All my TVs are smart TVs, so that won't be an issue.

My questions for people who use streaming services are:

- Did you buy a Fire Stick or Roku? Are they needed, or recommended, for smart TVs?

- Are there separate boxes/remotes used, or available, with Hulu?

- Do shows air at their normal times, or are they just ready for streaming once they air?

Edit:
- I live in the USA, if there are other streaming services you'd recommend please post them.

Thank you in advance.

Good thing you not one of those uncivilized europeans with no A/C.

Stringer

eThneoLgrRnae
I did away with cable long ago. Such a waste of money it was. The only things I watched last year or so that I had it were the 2016 political debates and on occasion National Geographic and the History channel. Oh, and of course FOX political commentators like Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham.

I can watch pretty much anything I need or want to on You Tube (including the 3 FOX commentators mentioned above) thru my PS3. Of course I also stream movies from Amazon on occasion as well. If I want news then You Tube is pretty decent for that as well... so is twitter and other places on the internet.

I don't really use a seperate "box" or something similar to stream from Amazon unless you count my PS3 as one.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Good thing you not one of those uncivilized europeans with no A/C.

laughing laughing

TempAccount
I don't watch any TV anymore, including streaming services. I'm slowly phasing YouTube out of my life as well.

Flyattractor
No wonder Bada is Mod of an InterWeb Message Board.

Dude is Def ao Old Tech Dino.

He don't know how his Smart TV's Work

HAHAHAH!

Galan007
Originally posted by Robtard
I have and used at one time or another an Amazon stick, Google, Roku and Apple TV. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn't need any of these, you should be able to download all the apps you need and launch directly from the television.

They all come with remotes except for the Google device, that one you control with a smart phone or tablet (unless the never ones have remotes now?)

Hulu tends to release their shows (eg Handmaid's Tale) on a weekly basis, Netflix releases the whole season at once. I think Amazon also releases the whole season at once.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix, here's how I'd rate them in terms of use and content:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

But each have shows that are specific to their platform and also of note, Netflix will be losing a lot of content with the upcoming surge of new services like Disney's, HBO's new streaming service and there's others I forget. thumb up to all of this.

And yes, Disney's streaming service is going to absolutely crush most of the others. If it ends up having as much content as they've hinted at(and it should given that Disney owns most of the media market these days), I'll probably end up dropping my Netfilx and Hulu subscriptions.

Hell, Disney owns the majority share of Hulu now as well, so that content might also end up trickling into their streaming service.

Badabing

Badabing
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up to all of this.

And yes, Disney's streaming service is going to absolutely crush most of the others. If it ends up having as much content as they've hinted at(and it should given that Disney owns most of the media market these days), I'll probably end up dropping my Netfilx and Hulu subscriptions.

Hell, Disney owns the majority share of Hulu now as well, so that content might also end up trickling into their streaming service. Thanks Galan. I know I've PMed you before about streaming. But my cable/internet bill is $225 now and it needs to stop. Thanks for the help.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.