Homelander Runs the Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

John Murdoch
Homelander from the Boys shows up in rural Kansas to shoot a commercial for the latest Vought advertising campaign. He finds that several individuals have shown up to question him about some of his deplorable methods as a superhero.

Homelander takes them on in a gauntlet fashion:

1. Luke Cage
2. Wonder Woman
3. IW/Endgame Iron Man
4. Fox Magneto
5. Ragnarok Thor
6. Captain Marvel
7. DCEU Superman

How does America's beloved corporate superhero/psychopath do?

SquallX

FrothByte
^ He was afraid to stop the plane because he thought he'd just punch a hole through the plane or that the plane would flip tail end forward. It wasn't because he was afraid for himself.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, he was simply acknowledging the physics that 99% of movies ignore. Like the show also portrays what would more realistically happen if a speedster like A-Train hit a non-superhuman at those speeds. That's basically what should have happened to Hawkeye in AoU, whether Pietro was holding back or not.

John Murdoch
Thanks for the responses fellas. Homelander was a great villain, like A+ out of all the comic book adaptations for the big or small screens. I really liked the consideration of how the physics would somewhat work in the "real" world. Lots of effort put into this production - like Hollywood blockbuster levels of quality - to show stuff like Robin getting splattered by A-Train and such.

I was a bit wary putting him into a forum fight on here, as his feats - while uber - are a bit lacking right now, but I figured between flying around at superspeed searching for Translucent, punching through reinforced skyscraper windows and people, lasering several terrorists while shrugging off bullets, and moving fast enough to get Butcher out of the blast of the C4 vest Butcher put on Madelyn in the season finale was enough to see where he lands right now.

For anyone that has read the comics, does John ever go up against anyone that is on his level until the Black Noir reveal? I've only glanced over the synopsis for the series (yes, I spoil myself with Wikipedia haha).

FrothByte
I haven't finished all the episodes yet. At the moment I'll say he gets past WW at least, possibly past Magneto if his implied power is as great as his actual power. I'll update once I've finished the show. Superman-stereotypes are almost always near top of the food chain in these MvF matches.

John Murdoch

BruceSkywalker
I've watched all 8 episodes, looking forward to season 2..

I'd say Homelander who stole the show gets past all. He'll likely have trouble with Diana, Thor, Carol and Kal though

Darth Thor
Originally posted by FrothByte
^ He was afraid to stop the plane because he thought he'd just punch a hole through the plane or that the plane would flip tail end forward. It wasn't because he was afraid for himself.

Yeah exactly it was the show making fun out of the more traditional superhero physics.

If he wanted he could have still saved as many as possible by flying them out a few at a time, but point was he really couldnt be arsed and Didnt want his reputation dented in the slightest.

Darth Thor

John Murdoch
Any opinions of how Stormbreaker Thor would do?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Any opinions of how Stormbreaker Thor would do?

Any version of MCU Thor should win. Remember he can take the full heat of a Star. So Heat Vision isnt going to do much to him. He can take a pounding from Hulk And nothing to suggest Stormbreaker wouldnt impale Homelander.

TheVaultDweller
It's really hard to place Homelander. He has very little in the way of actual onscreen feats, but his implied power is immense. Though we can probably scale his strength off A-Train, who can pull an actual train, yet was clearly scared when he was getting grilled one-on-one by Homelander, which implies that the latter is stronger and could take A-Train despite the speed difference.

Surtur
It depends on how much you wanna use statements. Going by those, he's at the very least nuke proof, since it was said all weapons were thrown at him.

By feats we know machine guns, etc. don't scratch him. And he's still pretty damn quick considering how quickly he got Billy out of that exploding house. That's actually a pretty crazy speed feat when you think about it.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
could take A-Train despite the speed difference.

Well as Surtur said hes obviously pretty fast himself. So may not be that much of a speed difference.

Surtur
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Homelander is faster than A-Train. It's just that, from a marketing standpoint, A-Train being the "fastest" sells better.

SHM
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Any version of MCU Thor should win. Remember he can take the full heat of a Star. So Heat Vision isnt going to do much to him. He can take a pounding from Hulk And nothing to suggest Stormbreaker wouldnt impale Homelander.

Well as Surtur said hes obviously pretty fast himself. So may not be that much of a speed difference.

Why do I have the impression that if this was Superman, you would be saying the same shit?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by SHM
Why do I have the impression that if this was Superman, you would be saying the same shit?

???

No idea.

TheVaultDweller

Maybe. It's possible, but you can still be very fast and a lot slower than A-Train at the same time. Even Kimiko showed some clear super-speed while moving and fighting, yet she couldn't hold a candle to him when he focused on her. We also had A-Train dodging around actual light blasts in the final episode. So, until we get more concrete evidence, I am not going to assume that's the case.

Darth Thor
Maybe. It's possible, but you can still be very fast and a lot slower than A-Train at the same time.

Of course. But aside from the fact that we see how fast he can fly off. We also know he saved Billy after the bomb was already exploding. So thats pretty damn fast reflexes.

That said I dont expect him to be as fast as A-Train.

John Murdoch
Really excited to see what goes down in season 2. To tell the truth, I actually liked the drama bits (especially the plane sequence) quite a bit more than all the over-the-top comedy.

Darth Thor
Really excited to see what goes down in season 2. To tell the truth, I actually liked the drama bits (especially the plane sequence) quite a bit more than all the over-the-top comedy.

Same here.

But just great characters, plot and a nice change from your usual Marvel or DC superhero shows.

TheVaultDweller
Of course. But aside from the fact that we see how fast he can fly off. We also know he saved Billy after the bomb was already exploding. So thats pretty damn fast reflexes.

That said I dont expect him to be as fast as A-Train.

Yeah, but we don't actually ever see any of it. We generally just hear an offscreen "whoosh". So, it's still very vague. I'm hoping S2 will show more. Put some feats to go with the threat-level they established via the dialogue.

Because that's one thing I will give Anthony Starr credit for. Even though the character lacks feats, the way he acted as Homelander really gave you that menacing impression. Like this guy really could kill the planet if he wanted to, and no one would be able to do a damn thing to stop him.

I'm also hoping they feature more of Black Noir. The little they showed of him was pretty cool. I lol'd at that bit with the piano player.

Surtur
This is making me excited for the "Irredeemable" movie, which is supposed getting made. Though I haven't heard much about it lately.

For those who don't know: Irredeemable is a story about a Superman-type hero called the Plutonian who goes crazy and turns on the entire planet. He destroys the city he protects(this series version of Metropolis) He murders millions across the globe. The story focuses on that universes version of the justice league trying to survive and figure out a way to stop him after he's devastated the planet and has everyone living in fear(The UN bows to him). It's also about them trying to figure out why he turned evil. It's a great comic.

Though the Disney-Fox merger might have killed the movie. Ah well..we're still getting an animated "Invincible" series.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Surtur
This is making me excited for the "Irredeemable" movie, which is supposed getting made. Though I haven't heard much about it lately.

For those who don't know: Irredeemable is a story about a Superman-type hero called the Plutonian who goes crazy and turns on the entire planet. He destroys the city he protects(this series version of Metropolis) He murders millions across the globe. The story focuses on that universes version of the justice league trying to survive and figure out a way to stop him after he's devastated the planet and has everyone living in fear(The UN bows to him). It's also about them trying to figure out why he turned evil. It's a great comic.

Though the Disney-Fox merger might have killed the movie. Ah well..we're still getting an animated "Invincible" series.

Read through the synopsis on Wikipedia. Wow, that sounds like a great story. I've got Kingdom Come at home, so I'd like to check out this one by Mark Waid.

NemeBro
Homelander from the Boys shows up in rural Kansas to shoot a commercial for the latest Vought advertising campaign. He finds that several individuals have shown up to question him about some of his deplorable methods as a superhero.

Homelander takes them on in a gauntlet fashion:

1. Luke Cage
2. Wonder Woman
3. IW/Endgame Iron Man
4. Fox Magneto
5. Ragnarok Thor
6. Captain Marvel
7. DCEU Superman

How does America's beloved corporate superhero/psychopath do?

Stops at 2 tbh.

Homelander needs feats. Even at his most hyped, he would at best get to 5 before getting stomped.

Darth Thor
Yeah, but we don't actually ever see any of it. We generally just hear an offscreen "whoosh". So, it's still very vague.

Not really. We see the bomb go off Iirc. Theres literally no other way he could have saved Billy except with vast superspeed.

Unless he had A-Train waiting outside to speed in, but that would be kinda stretching given theres nothing to suggest he brought any kind of back up.

juggerman
Not really. We see the bomb go off Iirc. Theres literally no other way he could have saved Billy except with vast superspeed.

Unless he had A-Train waiting outside to speed in, but that would be kinda stretching given theres nothing to suggest he brought any kind of back up.

And A-Train was suffering a heart attack at the time. Maybe that other guy A-Train raced against?

TheVaultDweller

Exactly. We see the bomb go off and then they cut to outside. We don't know how Homelander moved or exactly what actions he took. He could have shielded Billy from the blast with his body for all we know, and then dumped him on the grass afterwards. Or he could have blitzed him out immediately with superspeed. We don't actually know.

And, anyway, I never said he doesn't have superspeed. The fact that he was able to catch up to the a hijacked passenger plane while carrying someone suggests at least supersonic flight speed. What I said was that there isn't enough evidence to suggest that he's in the same speed tier as A-Train, especially considering his fight against Starlight during the final episode.

Darth Thor
Exactly. We see the bomb go off and then they cut to outside. We don't know how Homelander moved or exactly what actions he took. He could have shielded Billy from the blast with his body for all we know, and then dumped him on the grass afterwards. Or he could have blitzed him out immediately with superspeed. We don't actually know.

Im just speculating what other options there were in that scenario, and there were not many. Homelander wasnt right next to Billy IIRC, so even if he covered him, he would have had to react to the explosion, run to Billy and cover him.

And, anyway, I never said he doesn't have superspeed. The fact that he was able to catch up to the a hijacked passenger plane while carrying someone suggests at least supersonic flight speed. What I said was that there isn't enough evidence to suggest that he's in the same speed tier as A-Train, especially considering his fight against Starlight during the final episode.

Obviously he has travel speed. Talking about him being a legit speedster with the reflexes/reaction, and movements.

I understand what you are saying regarding A-Train.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by juggerman
And A-Train was suffering a heart attack at the time. Maybe that other guy A-Train raced against?

Eh, I doubt he had anyone else there. It was most likely some kind of superspeed effort. Just very hard to quantify considering how little we see.

Considering the scenario, he probably would want to keep it quiet. Then again, he's a violent sociopath and probably would likely just murder any loose ends anyway.

TheVaultDweller
Im just speculating what other options there were in that scenario, and there were not many. Homelander wasnt right next to Billy IIRC, so even if he covered him, he would have had to react to the explosion, run to Billy and cover him.

Obviously he has travel speed. Talking about him being a legit speedster with the reflexes/reaction, and movements.

I understand what you are saying regarding A-Train.

I agree he most likely has super speed in the traditional speedster sense as well. And I don't always buy into the travel speed argument some people throw out. Yes, to a degree it's not the same as fighting. But if you didn't have perceptions and reflexes to keep up with your flight speed, you would essentially be flying blind.

Jump to around 5 minutes in to get a much better explanation than I could ever give:

FTEDZQaEIts

Darth Thor
^ Interesting... But at what speed does that become relevant. When we look out of a plane we can still see everything. Im sure it was the same with Concordes which would break the sound barrier.

Edit - Wait I get it, its because they accelerate to that speed slowly.

Hmm... Just not sure if comic book movies generally follow those laws looking at examples like Human Torch.

But then The Boys does poke fun at comic book science so...

TheVaultDweller
^ Interesting... But at what speed does that become relevant. When we look out of a plane we can still see everything. Im sure it was the same with Concordes which would break the sound barrier.

Edit - Wait I get it, its because they accelerate to that speed slowly.

Hmm... Just not sure if comic book movies generally follow those laws looking at examples like Human Torch.

But then The Boys does poke fun at comic book science so...

It also has to do with distance. If something was somehow suspended stationary in midair very close and you flew by it in a plane going at several hundred miles an hour, it would barely register as a blur in the instance it actually passed by. Also depends on your acceleration relative to the other object. Perception is weird. For example, even now, every single one of us is moving at incredible speed by sheer virtue of standing on Earth. Yet you don't even register it. Because you are born going that fast (well, technically, it has to do with being in the same inertial frame and all that, but phuck going into full physics explanations right now).

And even the best fighter pilots have different onboard systems, like navigation, altitude and distance indicators, targeting aids etc. Homelander doesn't have any of that. He has to account for it visually and process it mentally himself while flying about.

TheVaultDweller
So, while it isn't quite the limb speed showings we're kind of looking for here, and hopefully get in S2, it would at the very least indicate he has it in terms of visual perception and processing. And it would be really weird if his body was a lot slower than his brain. But hey, as I said in earlier posts, it's all still extremely vague at this point, as with much of everything else surrounding the character. Because we don't know the limits to his durability or strength either. Or to the power of his heat vision.

Surtur
I think Homelander super sped him out of there instead of just shielding him. If you watch it, you'll notice Billy's clothes aren't even messed up after.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.