Gillette Loses 8 billion dollars (LOL)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eThneoLgrRnae
Gee, I wonder why lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJpU7CBsI

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/08/02/gillette-loses-8-billion-as-sales-drop-following-woke-commercials/

This just proves that the saying "Get woke, go broke" is true. stick out tongue

snowdragon
Their marketing mssg was so good, I don't understand how this could happen..... laughing

Adam_PoE
I am sure it has nothing to do with much less expensive direct mail competitors.

eThneoLgrRnae
I'm proud to say I haven't bought another Gillette razor since that "woke" man-bashing commercial and I never will again. Been using disposable razors ever since dropping Gillette.

Adam_PoE
Gillette razors are disposable.

Robtard
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
I am sure it has nothing to do with much less expensive direct mail competitors.

Bingo.

It's what I use. I pay cents on the dollar compared to buying a ridiculously overpriced pack in the store.

But I find it funny these people are openly saying a commercial hurt their feelings to the core. Sensitive males.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Robtard
Bingo.

It's what I use. I pay cents on the dollar compared to buying a ridiculously overpriced pack in the store.

But I find it funny these people are openly saying a commercial hurt their feelings to the core. Sensitive males.

Let's hope they learned a lesson here, don't polarize your target audience away from your brand when your competitors don't care how woke your company is smile

Robtard
If you think sensitive men losing it over a commercial is the reason the company lost billions and not because of the varied online stores where you can get nice disposable razors for cents on the dollar mailed to your home, you go ahead.

dadudemon

I'll fact check your statement, later. Curious if you're right.

Flyattractor
Yeah Robbie and Adam are Def Living in a Fantasy Land.
Company Gets Woke. Goes Broke is a Proven Fact Again.

Robbie can be Gillette's Last Sensitive Not-a-Man shaver they have.

Eternal Idol
I am sure it has nothing to do with much less expensive direct mail competitors. Originally posted by Robtard
Bingo.

Used to use Gillette Mach 3 to shave, but switched years ago to the Dollar Shave Club's executive razors. It was significantly cheaper and offered a better shave.

The Gillette ad had f*ck all to do with the switch. In fact, I found it to be goddamned silly that anyone would be bothered or, much less, offended by it.

Flyattractor
https://world.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/getwooke.jpg

Surtur
This might more be a case of "Gillette was shitty and doing bad and tried to get woke to do better, but failed".

Robtard
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Used to use Gillette Mach 3 to shave, but switched years ago to the Dollar Shave Club's executive razors. It was significantly cheaper and offered a better shave.

The Gillette ad had f*ck all to do with the switch. In fact, I found it to be goddamned silly that anyone would be bothered or, much less, offended by it.

Same ones I used to buy, excellent razors, but the price is not worth it when I can get 10 quality razor heads for $10.00 a month mailed directly to my house.

Never underestimate the the potential flow of tears from the sensitive males who see their fragile male-ness attacked from every shadow. But an 8bil lose due to a truly benign commercial? Nope.

Raptor22
Originally posted by Eternal Idol

The Gillette ad had f*ck all to do with the switch. In fact, I found it to be goddamned silly that anyone would be bothered or, much less, offended by it. same here

Surtur
I immediately applied the figure four leg lock to the closest Gillette razor I had when I heard the news.

cdtm

You're expecting them to apply occams razor, when they could torturously warp logic to make a partisan point? smile

dadudemon
Buckle Up.

I did some research into Gillette's problems and figured out what's going on.

1. Proctor and Gamble's controversies with laws and regulations:
I found nothing recent. Most recent was a case from 2016 (final case). Fines from France. Very hefty fines. But not company-breaking.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/18/france-fines-unilever-reckitt-benckiser-procter-and-gamble-gillette-price-fixing

Conclusion: Did not contribute to devaluation.

2. Gillette is suffering as a company due to stock prices
That does not match their stock prices over a year:
https://i.imgur.com/uVVKZfS.png

And this definitely does not match their stock prices over 5 years where they appear to be a really good investment, long-term:
https://i.imgur.com/aeoo2X4.png

Quick hint: investing in household product companies is a good idea because the human population is still growing exponentially and socio-economic mobility is still vastly improving across the globe meaning household products will continue to be very strong investment opportunities for the foreseeable future.

Conclusion: Did not contribute to devaluation. The opposite is true of Gillette and their stock is stronger than ever.

3. Gillette suffered from sales drops due to their controversial ad in Jan 2019

Confirmed:
http://www.pginvestor.com/file/Index?KeyFile=398954304

Looks like their sales for their grooming products (Gillette) took a dive. However, their financial earnings report did not specify the drop in sales after the controversial ad. Organic sales are up but volume is down. Also, they specify in their article that foreign sales were the primary attributions for their organic growth which they try to mask the domestic sales drop which is the real reason their volume is down.

Don't fall prey to the trickery in this financial reports.

Here's their FY 2018 sales figures which clearly shows growth in volume:
http://www.pginvestor.com/file/Index?KeyFile=395405640

How does this compare to Schick?

Their financial reports are a bit more honest than Gillette's and they break down markets:

"Wet Shave net sales decreased $6.4 million , or 2.2%, as compared to the prior year period. Excluding the impact of currency movements, organic net sales decreased $1.9 million or 0.6%, as compared to the prior year, reflecting the impact of lower volumes and pricing in North America partly offset by strong sales and volume growth in International markets. By region, North America organic net sales declined 7% and International markets increased 5.5%."

Conclusion: It appears Gillette suffered from their controversial ad in Jan and is just now recovering. Schick sales are also down.

4. Gillette is having financial issues because it is competing with Harry's and Dollar Shave Club

I found no evidence of Harry's and Dollar Shave Club having enough sales issues that can explain the market issues Gillette saw in the US. In fact, both have been purchased already by big personal care companies. Dollar Shave club's revenue growth appears to have sharply slowed down as of 2018 indicating a market share saturation point.

https://www.axios.com/shaving-giants-schick-gillette-harrys-dollar-shave-club-acquisition-fba1b15b-ee9e-4e5a-a37b-2e530162f15e.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/dont-compare-harrys-to-unilevers-dollar-shave-club-deal-edgewell-ceo.html

Conclusion: Harry's and Dollar Shave Club are not impacting Gillette's sales since the ad aired. Gillette made a bad move with the ad and has learned from it.

Robtard
Stop lighting your farts on fire, ddm

samhain
8 billion seems like a lot of money to put solely on the ad itself, it seems like too much money to blame on any one factor. Don't even know the price of razors these days, I made the switch to a beard trimmer in 2012, but perhaps the 8bn comes from only a few thousand people boycotting Gillette.

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
8 billion seems like a lot of money to put solely on the ad itself, it seems like too much money to blame on any one factor. Don't even know the price of razors these days, I made the switch to a beard trimmer in 2012, but perhaps the 8bn comes from only a few thousand people boycotting Gillette.

No, marketing really is that expense. It's like health care, everyone needs it, so everyone gouge's the **** out of it (And corrupt politicians probably figure ways to get their cut)

samhain
Originally posted by cdtm
No, marketing really is that expense. It's like health care, everyone needs it, so everyone gouge's the **** out of it (And corrupt politicians probably figure ways to get their cut)

I heard a story that the soft drink company Oasis has said they'll stop doing ads (resulting in a cheaper product) if people keep buying the drink. I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot, even Coca-Cola needs to advertise.

shiv
If you do not keep buying up that ad space

your competitors will

TempAccount
Who the hell still wastes money on razors?

eThneoLgrRnae

Gillette pissed off a hell of a lot more people than just "a few thousand" lol. Check out the ratio of likes to dislikes on the video ad lol. Of course they also got tired of people leaving anti-Gillette comments in comment section of video so they removed the ability to post comments soon after they released ad.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yeah Robbie and Adam are Def Living in a Fantasy Land.
Company Gets Woke. Goes Broke is a Proven Fact Again.

Robbie can be Gillette's Last Sensitive Not-a-Man shaver they have. Originally posted by Flyattractor
https://world.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/getwooke.jpg

Yes, this have been proven once again and no amount of pathetic little "bingos" from robbie is going to change that fact.

eThneoLgrRnae
Regardless of the real reason for Gillette's loss of 8 billion dollars it is still something that puts a big smile on my face. smile

It's karma. smile

samhain
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Gillette pissed off a hell of a lot more people than just "a few thousand" lol.

That was a joke about the price of razors, that only a few thousand could boycott and cause a shortfall of that much.

cdtm
Whatever the reason, a lot of heads should be rolling in upper management.

Maybe literally.

dadudemon

Schick didn't lose that much value and their sales were down even more than Gillette's. It should be obvious that there are more than sales at play, here.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by TempAccount
Who the hell still wastes money on razors?

I don't consider it a waste of money. certainly pricey.

cdtm
What's the alternative? Nair?

Straight razors?

-Pr-

Straight razors?

Hair removal cream is good. Electric razors aren't bad either, though I've found that a wet shave is almost always just that bit better than electric.

Putinbot1
Grow a beard, I'd be lost without mine.

TempAccount

Straight razors? electric or straight razor is the way to go.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.