Blame the victim

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CroftAlice
https://www.romania-insider.com/education-minister-dismissed-august-2019

Bubbly Fubbly
Hey, it's you!

What a sad article.

Flyattractor
Kind of like how we can Blame Nuke and Riv for what Bada did?

I can see that.

Surtur
Okay: f*ck you victims! It's your fault.

https://i.imgur.com/1UAPtgZ.jpg

Silent Master
In case anyone is interested, the person blaming the victim is a member of the social democratic party.

cdtm
Absolutely amazing.

"Don't get in a car with strangers" is now victim blaming.

Is there to be ANY talk of precautionary agency, at all?

Mindship
The final responsibility for a person's choices rests with that person.

cdtm
It's not even about that, though. Saying "It's your fault for not getting that mole checked" isn't the point.

But that seems to be what everyone hears. You point out the mole may be melanoma to one who never got it checked, you're blaming a cancer victim. Forget about everyone else who may hear advice of getting a mole checked out, have a biopsy, and not become a victim.

Or that's how the logic seems to me.

Mindship
I should be more clear.

The girl is responsible for her decision to get into the car with a stranger. No one else made that choice for her. Now, didn't she know better? Was she naive? Did her parents ever teach her this was bad (this possibly raising parental responsibility issues)? Did a friend of hers do it and all was fine?

I don't know. All I know is she made a decision and it cost her dearly. But it's not her fault that she's dead. That blame lies with her killer, for he too made a choice, and the final responsibility for his decision rests with no one but him.

SquallX

Mindship
Indeed. Responsibility and enculturated self-indulgence don't mix well.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Kind of like how we can Blame Nuke and Riv for what Bada did?

I can see that. Fly, stop this silly vendetta you have against the mods mate.

Surtur
Originally posted by Mindship
I should be more clear.

The girl is responsible for her decision to get into the car with a stranger. No one else made that choice for her. Now, didn't she know better? Was she naive? Did her parents ever teach her this was bad (this possibly raising parental responsibility issues)? Did a friend of hers do it and all was fine?

I don't know. All I know is she made a decision and it cost her dearly. But it's not her fault that she's dead. That blame lies with her killer, for he too made a choice, and the final responsibility for his decision rests with no one but him.

I feel like if you're 15 you shouldn't have to have been specifically told by your parents not to get in a car with a stranger. Not unless they've kept you locked up in a room for your entire life and isolated from the world. There should be certain things you just pick up.

This doesn't mean her parents aren't shitty, I don't know, but I don't think you can blame them.

Mindship
Originally posted by Surtur
I feel like if you're 15 you shouldn't have to have been specifically told by your parents not to get in a car with a stranger. Not unless they've kept you locked up in a room for your entire life and isolated from the world. There should be certain things you just pick up.

This doesn't mean her parents aren't shitty, I don't know, but I don't think you can blame them. As I used to tell parents, by high school age, students are responsible for their decisions (eg, skipping class, striking another student). Based on my experience, I agree, generally you don't blame the parents (although home life is not without its influence).

As SquallX related, typically parents warn their children of stranger danger early on (I know I did, as I was taught). Offhand, I would think her parents warned her, too. Unfortunately, now, we can only wonder as to why the girl made that decision, what her contextual thinking was.

samhain
Do they know 100% that she opted to get into the car with him?

shiv

CroftAlice
Originally posted by Bubbly Fubbly
Hey, it's you!

What a sad article.

The one and only

And not to mention of the criminal incompetence showed by the authorities in this case

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.