Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Good stuff.

Story by Guillermo del Toro.

Recommend it to everyone thumb up

https://tinyurl.com/yxtmk9qf

BruceSkywalker
i've seen ads for this.... not sure when but i certainly might see

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i've seen ads for this.... not sure when but i certainly might see

I went in blind today. Enjoyed it.

Reminded me a lot of "It", the remake from 2017.

Decent scores on RT so far:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scary_stories_to_tell_in_the_dark

dynamix
i wasn't feeling it much. i thought the story seemed very familiar, and i don't mean that because its an adaption.

Senor Cage
Maybe I'll go see this, this Saturday.

Oliver Brown
The movie's a little on the long side, and most of the secondary characters are just sketches, but when it focuses on the spookhouse stuff - or when Colletti and Garza get a chance to develop their awkward, gentle chemistry - it's pretty satisfying.

Eon Blue
Looks pretty cool.

Surtur
Going to see this tonight with gf.

Surtur
So we saw it last night. It was nothing too special, but we enjoyed it.

Galan007
Really do want to see this. The book illustrations used to scare the shit out of me as a kid.

Surtur
Originally posted by Galan007
Really do want to see this. The book illustrations used to scare the shit out of me as a kid.

Yeah I still have all the books. Looking at them I'm shocked these were aimed towards kids lol.

I also still have 2 cassette tapes with the stories on them. These tapes used to freak me out as a kid, especially "Wheres my toe?".

Galan007
One of my elementary school teachers used to read us this shit IN class, lol.

I distinctly remember her reading the "Harold" story. Scarecrow comes to life, slaughters a few farmers, skins them, then leaves their skin out to bake in the sun.

...Good times. thumb up

Surtur
For kids!

https://i.imgur.com/wngwKgO.jpg

Surtur
Originally posted by Galan007
One of my elementary school teachers used to read us this shit IN class, lol.

I distinctly remember her reading the "Harold" story. Scarecrow comes to life, slaughters a few farmers, skins them, then leaves their skin out to bake in the sun.

...Good times. thumb up

Oh Harold? He shows up in the film, yet still looks more disturbing in the book

https://i.imgur.com/4uotxGf.png

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Surtur
Oh Harold? He shows up in the film, yet still looks more disturbing in the book

I haven't read the book, but it seems that the original Harold was way more brutal, according to Galan's post.

Surtur
Oh yeah he definitely is. Harold is one of the most memorable stories in the trilogy.

That picture is burned into a lot of peoples memories.

StiltmanFTW
Well... it's a real shame this was not an R-rated film, then sad

Could've benefited lots from it.

Surtur
Yeah they toned down a lot of the stuff, I think "The Red Spot" stayed truest to the material. But yeah they made Harold less disturbing.

Would have been awesome if this was rated R. Especially with Guillermo del Toro producing and writing.

StiltmanFTW
From quick google search, seems like Guillermo f*cked us on this one:

Del Toro also confirmed the film would be PG-13, not R, as he wanted it to be scary but also to reflect the book series' legacy of being favorites of young readers. ... It's a ride, but there is a safety bar in it," said Del Toro.

Surtur
I guess he was in a weird position. These were books technically aimed at kids and, strangely enough, he needed to tone them down in order for kids to be able to see them lol.

On the other hand this is mostly nostalgia getting people to see it so...I dunno, he should have taken a chance.

Surtur
I remember these books being removed from my school library lol.

Galan007
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
From quick google search, seems like Guillermo f*cked us on this one:

Del Toro also confirmed the film would be PG-13, not R, as he wanted it to be scary but also to reflect the book series' legacy of being favorites of young readers. ... It's a ride, but there is a safety bar in it," said Del Toro. Too bad.

This probably could have been an amazing pseudo-horror flick if it were at least as graphic as the books.

...Oh well. I'll still see it. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Too bad indeed.

Yeah, do see it. It's quite enjoyable.

Could've been so much more with the elements of gore like the skinning part you've described, though.

Dr Will Hatch
This was pretty good. The writing could have been a tad better, but overall it was a nice little PG rated ghost story. Brought me back to watching episodes of Goosebumps and Are You Afraid Of The Dark in the 90s.

jaden_2.0
I saw this tonight and enjoyed it. Look forward to watching it with my niece. She's only 8 and absolutely loves this kind of horror movie. Not too scary or gorey for her. She's gutted she's too young to see IT chapter 2 as that's her favourite. My sister in law tells me she goes into school and freaks the teachers out doing Pennywise impressions.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.